"LadyVol" name is kaput next year...except for | The Boneyard

"LadyVol" name is kaput next year...except for

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
I saw a brief mention in a morning paper that starting next year Tenn. is dropping the name LadyVols from all women's teams except one. They will be just plain olde 'Vols' like the guy-side teams.
Nobody here will have any trouble guessing the one team that will retain the name 'LadyVols'.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Holly would be run out of town on a rail if she let them change the name of the hoops team.

Reaction Score
It’s a shame that the tradition of bigotry will be perpetuated.

Perhaps this underlying insulting sexism is a fundamental reason why Geno Auriemma and UConn have achieved so much more for basketball -- and why he and UConn are recognized as the greatest coach and college basketball program. His insistence that the women of his team be regarded, treated, and respected as athletes and not “lady versions” of an athlete is esteemed around the world and is fundamentally different from what Tennessee and Pat Summitt have chosen to emphasize.

Reaction Score

Perhaps this underlying insulting s e xism is a fundamental reason why Geno Auriemma and UConn have achieved so much more for basketball -- and why he and UConn are recognized as the greatest coach and college basketball program. His insistence that the women of his team be regarded, treated, and respected as athletes and not “lady versions” of an athlete is esteemed around the world and is fundamentally different from what Tennessee and Pat Summitt have chosen to emphasize.
Cleaning up their branding, having to do with moving to Nike from Adidas. But b-ball keeping the LadyVols name is a tribute to Pat's legacy, according to this (and, by the way, Geno is NOT the greatest coach :mad:

"I am very pleased that women's basketball will retain the Lady Vols logo," former Tennessee women's athletic director Joan Cronan said in the university release. "It honors the legacy of the team and the greatest coach ever, Pat Summitt."

http://espn.go.com/womens-college-b...nteers-abandon-use-lady-vols-women-basketball

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
The Basketball team will keep Lady Vol logo.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Cleaning up their branding, having to do with moving to Nike from Adidas. But b-ball keeping the LadyVols name is a tribute to Pat's legacy, according to this (and, by the way, Geno is NOT the greatest coach :mad:

"I am very pleased that women's basketball will retain the Lady Vols logo," former Tennessee women's athletic director Joan Cronan said in the university release. "It honors the legacy of the team and the greatest coach ever, Pat Summitt."

http://espn.go.com/womens-college-b...nteers-abandon-use-lady-vols-women-basketball
Funny I thought it was winning all those games that was the legacy not the chauvinist name for the team.

Reaction Score

Perhaps this underlying insulting s e xism is a fundamental reason why Geno Auriemma and UConn have achieved so much more for basketball -- and why he and UConn are recognized as the greatest coach and college basketball program. His insistence that the women of his team be regarded, treated, and respected as athletes and not “lady versions” of an athlete is esteemed around the world and is fundamentally different from what Tennessee and Pat Summitt have chosen to emphasize.

I think that's a pretty harsh, unfair critique of the Lady Vols program. In the same way that all-female schools and women's organization are a critical component of feminism and empowerment for women, by creating safe spaces that reflect and celebrate the power, capacity, and strength of women, I think the Lady Vols program played a really important role in advancing women's athletics and women generally. While one could argue about its need/impact today, versus potential disadvantages, you definitely cannot dismiss the historical importance of the "Lady Vols" signifier. The Huskies have taken a different approach, but it's not the only approach to advancing women's rights and the movement.

The choice of keeping it is clearly a decision based on recognizing the momentous impact that a powerful women, Pat Summit, and the amazing women players, from that program had. Even if you disagree with the decision, to not recognize those reasons and attribute sexism to the decision is really inappropriate.

rbny1

Gotham Husky Fanatic
Reaction Score
I think that's a pretty harsh, unfair critique of the Lady Vols program. In the same way that all-female schools and women's organization are a critical component of feminism and empowerment for women, by creating safe spaces that reflect and celebrate the power, capacity, and strength of women, I think the Lady Vols program played a really important role in advancing women's athletics and women generally. While one could argue about its need/impact today, versus potential disadvantages, you definitely cannot dismiss the historical importance of the "Lady Vols" signifier. The Huskies have taken a different approach, but it's not the only approach to advancing women's rights and the movement.

The choice of keeping it is clearly a decision based on recognizing the momentous impact that a powerful women, Pat Summit, and the amazing women players, from that program had. Even if you disagree with the decision, to not recognize those reasons and attribute s e xism to the decision is really inappropriate.

I agree 100%. "Lady Vols" is an important part of the team's heritage. I have not read anything to suggest that the players object to it or feel in any way diminished by it.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
There's an interesting history to the creation of the Lady Vol name. Perhaps our visitors can expand...

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Basically the same argument is being made for keeping "Lady Vols" for the basketball team as is being made in Washington for keeping "Redskins".

Not a good argument in either case, IMHO.

rbny1

Gotham Husky Fanatic
Reaction Score
Basically the same argument is being made for keeping "Lady Vols" for the basketball team as is being made in Washington for keeping "Redskins".

Not a good argument in either case, IMHO.

The comparison is way over the top, IMO. I can't think of a single negative connotation for the word lady. If the Lady Vols want to call themselves ladies, that's fine with me. I've known a lot of wonderful ladies in my lifetime.

Reaction Score

The logo is there in honor of Pat Summitt, who is a pioneer for women's basketball. You don't have to compare UCONN to TN with every single thing that happens. I don't expect other programs to understand the important of the LADY VOL logo but it is iconic in the state of TN and throughout the world for women's hoops. There are 8 national championship banners hanging in Knoxville with that logo on it. It isn't going anywhere. I think we should pay more attention to racist football team names than a school who chooses to embrace a hard fought tradition of excellence for its female athletes. Just my two cents of course.

PS. I enjoyed reading some of the nice comments in this thread.

Reaction Score
Women in the U.S. Navy used to be called WAVES (Women Accepted for Volunteer Emergency Service), then it was changed to WIN(Women in Navy), not sure what it is now. Anyone with current service know? The reason I ask is because you would think the U.S. Govt. would lead by example. Wow, my fingers had a hard time typing that last sentence and taking it seriously but I hope you know what I mean.

Reaction Score
I don't have a problem with UT keeping the Lady Vols name if they are insistant on it.....

Of course i contest Cronin's statement that Pat is the best ever..... the figures do not bear that out..... if she wants to think it, let her think it.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
The comparison is way over the top, IMO. I can't think of a single negative connotation for the word lady. If the Lady Vols want to call themselves ladies, that's fine with me. I've known a lot of wonderful ladies in my lifetime.
I have to agree. I'm not sure why some women (and men) are so offended by the word "lady".

If they choose to call themselves Lady Vols, it's their choice. They seem to like it.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Joan Cronan was the women's AD. For years they were two separate athlete departments. I think that is a part of why Lady Vols name means something.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
Rats.. wish I could find the actual story - but IIRC picking "Lady Vols" was the lesser of several evils. Some really horrid names were tossed around, and Lady Vols was the best way to distinguish the men's teams from the women's.

Let's not be foolish enough to suggest that when someone says "I'm a fan of basketball" the first assumption is that it is of men's basketball. We clearly need the "definer." But I don't understand why some men (and it's the male sports writers) get their jockeys in a twist when I ask them why it's so hard to write "the UConn men" or the US Men's National Basketball Team? Does the addition of those three letters really mess with their word count? To me, the exclusion of it implies the non-existence of the other team....

I always enjoy discussions around words and their power and connotations - percent and historical. Folks were called policemen because only men were allowed. Then they were police women or police men. Now they're police officers - which moves the discussion to the JOB they do, not the kind of equipment they have. (Sorta like I'm hoping the gay/straight discussion will get to.... eventually. Many biased mountains to climb before that happens). Sure they're folks who get upset that they're not called "firemen" anymore. My response is my flip test: "Ok - I'll switch back and forth. Sometimes I'll call them firemen. Sometime I'll call them firewomen. Is everyone okay with that?"

In general, I'm not fond of the "Lady" descriptor. Not because I don't want to be considered a lady - I think being polite and gracious and (occasionally) elegant is lovely. But why does it seem to be the responsibility of women only? The suggestion that women can be "fierce athletes" on the court but have to be or still can be "ladylike" off the court is an odd one, as if being a fierce woman only belongs ON the court, not in the rest of the world.

Always makes me wonder why the same isn't expected of men. "Gentlemen Vols" has a ring to it, no?

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
To me, honoring the equality of women is to treat them the same as men - no special treatment, same pay for the same work, etc. In basketball, I believe in treating (read: cheering against, reminding of foul trouble, etc., nothing off color) opposing women's basketball players and coaches the same as I would opposing men's basketball players and coaches. Keeping a separate name for WBB at Tennessee strikes me as being archaic. I think the world of Pat Summitt and enjoyed watching her coach up close for many, many years, but I think it's time to drop "Lady ___" from team names.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Rats.. wish I could find the actual story - but IIRC picking "Lady Vols" was the lesser of several evils. Some really horrid names were tossed around, and Lady Vols was the best way to distinguish the men's teams from the women's.

Let's not be foolish enough to suggest that when someone says "I'm a fan of basketball" the first assumption is that it is of men's basketball. We clearly need the "definer." But I don't understand why some men (and it's the male sports writers) get their jockeys in a twist when I ask them why it's so hard to write "the UConn men" or the US Men's National Basketball Team? Does the addition of those three letters really mess with their word count? To me, the exclusion of it implies the non-existence of the other team....

I always enjoy discussions around words and their power and connotations - percent and historical. Folks were called policemen because only men were allowed. Then they were police women or police men. Now they're police officers - which moves the discussion to the JOB they do, not the kind of equipment they have. (Sorta like I'm hoping the gay/straight discussion will get to.... eventually. Many biased mountains to climb before that happens). Sure they're folks who get upset that they're not called "firemen" anymore. My response is my flip test: "Ok - I'll switch back and forth. Sometimes I'll call them firemen. Sometime I'll call them firewomen. Is everyone okay with that?"

In general, I'm not fond of the "Lady" descriptor. Not because I don't want to be considered a lady - I think being polite and gracious and (occasionally) elegant is lovely. But why does it seem to be the responsibility of women only? The suggestion that women can be "fierce athletes" on the court but have to be or still can be "ladylike" off the court is an odd one, as if being a fierce woman only belongs ON the court, not in the rest of the world.

Always makes me wonder why the same isn't expected of men. "Gentlemen Vols" has a ring to it, no?

If there were a heart icon on here, I would post it. This caused me to look up the Centenary College Athletics website since their mascot name is "Gentlemen". Doggone it if they don't call their women's teams the "Ladies". I'm picturing mint juleps being sold at the concession stands.

Reaction Score
To me, honoring the equality of women is to treat them the same as men - no special treatment, same pay for the same work, etc. In basketball, I believe in treating (read: cheering against, reminding of foul trouble, etc., nothing off color) opposing women's basketball players and coaches the same as I would opposing men's basketball players and coaches.
Just to play devil's advocate, if women should be treated same as men in the workplace, " no special treatment" everywhere else too, then why do we need separate sports teams at all, never mind the team names. If you throw like a girl as well as Mo'ne Davis, then you make the team - same as in business. :cool:

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Just to play devil's advocate, if women should be treated same as men in the workplace, " no special treatment" everywhere else too, then why do we need separate sports teams at all, never mind the team names. If you throw like a girl as well as Mo'ne Davis, then you make the team - same as in business. :cool:
Women aren't as physically strong as men so not many women would be able to compete well enough to make men's teams, but there have been a few women to play football.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

Greatest? I...think... not.

Reaction Score
Women aren't as physically strong as men so not many women would be able to compete well enough to make men's teams, but there have been a few women to play football.
I was just kidding, to point out that men and women ARE different. For instance, men can't have babies (yet, as far as I know).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom