Lady Vols assistant Jolette Law leaving for South Carolina | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Lady Vols assistant Jolette Law leaving for South Carolina

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Except on the Boneyard, where all failures can be traced back to Frese, JPM, or Warlick. And sometimes Mulkey.
Don't forget the other low hanging fruit: Muffet McGraw.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
"Brenda is one of the bright young coaches in the game today. Maryland is very fortunate. She’ll do an unbelievable job of adding to the great tradition that Chris Weller had started there."
Geno Auriemma

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
More: Lady Vols assistant Jolette Law leaving for South Carolina

"Being closer to my family in South Carolina has been on my heart and mind for some time and a door opened, providing me a chance to do just that and coach in my home state," said Law, who is from Florence, S.C. "I will always be grateful to Holly and everyone at Rocky Top for welcoming me and I hope they'll understand my reasons for putting my family first."

It wasn't just any door that opened either. The Gamecocks are the defending national champions. The opening on their staff also was a good fit for Law. McCray-Penson was their staff's top recruiter. Recruiting is one of Law's strengths, as evidenced by UT signing the nation's top-ranked class last fall.

"It was an opportunity she felt she couldn't pass up," Warlick said in the statement, "and I certainly understand that desire and wish her the very best at South Carolina."

More: Holly Warlick's top priority is Lady Vols' improvement, not job status

The timing of Law's departure is difficult for Tennessee. The July recruiting period is looming.

Tennessee has two commitments - guard Jazmine Massengill and forward Amira Collins - for its 2018 signing class. Guard Izabela Nicoletti Leite informed the Lady Vols earlier this week, before Law's decision, that she was committing to Florida State. She made a campus visit earlier this month.

Reaction Score
Tennessee has two commitments - guard Jazmine Massengill and forward Amira Collins - for its 2018 signing class.

I just looked up Amira Collins. It says she's from La Plata MD but went to Paul VI High in Fairfax VA. That is 50 miles, and with DC Beltway traffic could be a 2 hour commute!!!

Reaction Score
Guard Izabela Nicoletti Leite informed the Lady Vols earlier this week, before Law's decision, that she was committing to Florida State. She made a campus visit earlier this month.
Where did you hear this? Has it been made public?

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
Tennessee's new nickname.... South Carolina's farm team.
Seems like both teams fans think they got the good end of the deal so I guess all is well in the SEC.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Guard Izabela Nicoletti Leite informed the Lady Vols earlier this week, before Law's decision, that she was committing to Florida State. She made a campus visit earlier this month.

This is news. Where did you see news about Nicoletti committing to FSU?

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
I just looked up Amira Collins. It says she's from La Plata MD but went to Paul VI High in Fairfax VA. That is 50 miles, and with DC Beltway traffic could be a 2 hour commute!!!
Are you referring to Knoxville?

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
This is news. Where did you see news about Nicoletti committing to FSU?
I haven't heard that. I just copied at pasted the article. I know she was visiting Florida State. I haven't heard of aNY comment yet.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I haven't heard that. I just copied at pasted the article. I know she was visiting Florida State. I haven't heard of aNY comment yet.

Okay. Dan Fleser, the Lady Vols beat writer, included it in his story on Law so he must have heard it from Holly. According to Dan, Nicoletti has committed to FSU.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Okay. Dan Fleser, the Lady Vols beat writer, included it in his story on Law so he must have heard it from Holly. According to Dan, Nicoletti has committed to FSU.
OK the news must have come today.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Success has many fathers (or mothers) while failure is an orphan.
Such a failure. :cool:

twist.jpg

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I am not sure that this is a bad thing for TN obviously depending on who they get to replace her. She was on staff during the terrible recruiting period, and TN guard play has been in my opinion atrocious for a number of years. The recruit coordinator they hired two years ago has been the one being given credit for changing the recruiting fortunes at TN and not Law, though recruiting is cyclical and how any one member of staff affects the results is questionable from outside the program.

Reaction Score
Well, at least she didn't commit to South Carolina!
Is she really that good? I mean I've seen her play at Nuese Baptist in Raleigh, NC on several occasions and she did look good for Brazil in the Fiba championships but how des she really stack up agaisnt American players? Is she really a top 5 player and one of the best guards in the 2018 class? She doesn't play AAU so we will never know ... but I remember Angela Salvadores being highly ranked a couple years ago and she didn't turn out to be a good as she was rated.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
OK the news must have come today.
I don't want to high-jack the thread, but what is your sense of LV fans feel about Holly? Is she on a short leash, or are fans still all-in with her?

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Is she really that good? I mean I've seen her play at Nuese Baptist in Raleigh, NC on several occasions and she did look good for Brazil in the Fiba championships but how des she really stack up agaisnt American players? Is she really a top 5 player and one of the best guards in the 2018 class? She doesn't play AAU so we will never know ... but I remember Angela Salvadores being highly ranked a couple years ago and she didn't turn out to be a good as she was rated.
I haven't seen her. I have heard some good things. I don't think she is as blessed with the ability of DeShields for example. How good will she be at this leve? l we will see when she plays.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
I don't want to high-jack the thread, but what is your sense of LV fans feel about Holly? Is she on a short leash, or are fans still all-in with her?
I still like her. I this is a very important year. Not only with this hire. Also this upcoming season. Hopefully there won't be any serious injuries. If not I think this year can be real good. This team return it's best three players. That helps this year's team also.

Reaction Score
Dynasty Dawn, what she's after, and delegating the difficult parts is a smart move. She was tired of wringing her paper cones, not finding the right offensive mixes against UCONN and ND, her mouth curled in disbelief as her offensive sets fell apart. South Carolina has arrived, Tennessee has talent, ND will come back and the Ducks and the Beavers are expecting more good things. Let's hope the Huskies stay healthy and enjoy their Italy experience.

Reaction Score
Amazing many TN fans think Holly can still bring home the bacon.... she has not been able to win with all stars in several years..... has admitted publicly that she didn't know how to fix the problem, and has had no scheme on offense.... I am glad it is not my issue to fix....

A lot of the talk is of the sort.... "If Holly does not start to show this year that she can do it".... etc etc.... wow.... it has been a 30 year career as assistant.... and 6 years working as head coach.... what are they waiting for? again, not my issue....

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Amazing many TN fans think Holly can still bring home the bacon.... she has not been able to win with all stars in several years..... has admitted publicly that she didn't know how to fix the problem, and has had no scheme on offense.... I am glad it is not my issue to fix....

A lot of the talk is of the sort.... "If Holly does not start to show this year that she can do it".... etc etc.... wow.... it has been a 30 year career as assistant.... and 6 years working as head coach.... what are they waiting for? again, not my issue....
She has also delt with injuries to keyou players Harrison, Russell, DeShields and others. Not having Harrison against Maryland hurt in E8 game. I think Tennessee can win that game if she played.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Mikayla Vaugh (ND commit) from Philly area and Honesty Scott-Grayson from NJ play on that same team. I'm not sure what the living arrangements were and it does not appear to be a boarding school.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
She has also delt with injuries to keyou players Harrison, Russell, DeShields and others. Not having Harrison against Maryland hurt in E8 game. I think Tennessee can win that game if she played.

I understand she has had injury problems especially at guard position..... but IMO there is no excuse for the losses where her team just didn't show up..... Penn State Alabama 3 times, etc..... I would accept excuses for her if she didn't expose her problems right out in the open.... she has made many basic mistakes..... making me wonder why the admin is happy with her performance.... as a UC fan I am happy with her staying on of course.... I just feel sorry for you guys... the fans....

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom