Ladies At The “Big E” | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Ladies At The “Big E”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Is there a line somewhere that must not be crossed? High school girl / college woman? I don't believe that it's unusual for women, irrespective of age, to refer to themselves and their contemporaries as girls. They can, but I can't? Sounds like a double standard to me.

I've never understood the propensity to find offense where none is intended. Why make life more difficult than it has to be?

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
I feel like some folks need to go back through the thread to see how we got onto the topic of language. No one said they were offended. No one said the term AmeriConn used was offensive. The conversation has come out of some genuine questions about what is the best way to refer to the team.

The only people who seem to be offended are the ones who disagree with those of us who are trying to answer those questions.

There’s nothing I love more on a Saturday morning than bunch of old men trying to mansplain why it shouldn’t matter what I’m called. I hope you’re less dismissive of the women in your real lives than you are of the ones you disagree with on the internet.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Why does everything have to end up being brought up as right or wrong. The ladies have addressed themselves as "girls, guys, pals, ladies, and others. Yet for some if you use the same you are slandered as being "old white guys" or other demeaning titles. Some might want to consider it as maybe a term of endearment towards the Huskies and NOTHING else.

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
i do get in a huff when anyone refers to the team as the lady huskies ... that's downright disrespectful. but the OP title? what's the big deal? it's not the most informative, but the BY doesn't have editors to fix such things.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
As a general rule of thumb, if you're not part of their inner-circle and know it's okay, don't call any adult woman "girl."

It's perfectly acceptable for an adult male to call his daughters, granddaughters, or other close, younger relatives "my girls," but that comes with having that level of familiarity. Same thing when women call their close friends their "girls."

Same rules apply when being careful about calling adult males, "boy," which can give off the nasty impression that you're talking down to someone (and, historically, calling and adult "boy" has racist roots).

And @Puppy Love is right that "ladies" is antiquated and largely just alludes to a type of behavior expected of women.

Call them women, young women, the team, Huskies, or by their names...

For the most part, context is everything. If you say, "Man, I love these girls," it's pretty obvious that you're not trying to be condescending. But if you say, "Man, I love this team," you're getting the same message across, but you don't have to leave it to someone to interpret.
Got it, thanks Argonaut. :cool:

Reaction Score
Got it, thanks Argonaut. :cool:
Thank you for making me laugh with all your pompous holy than thou attempt to define what I mean by calling them my girls. It is important to me what that means and that is that. Please

Reaction Score
Mansplaining (I looked it up), according to Wikipedia, is a pejorative term.
That's as far as I read, since I had to look up pejorative. Doesn't have many pleasant connotations.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Mansplaining (I looked it up), according to Wikipedia, is a pejorative term.
That's as far as I read, since I had to look up pejorative. Doesn't have many pleasant connotations.
I thought it had to do with a razor. :oops:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman