Ladies At The “Big E” | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Ladies At The “Big E”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
I lived in the area for many years and went every third or 4th year...loved it. Same pitchmen...same products...
heck...same jokes to the crowds gathering. I saw a 'bloke' with a heavy English accent selling paint....very successfully.
He had a ton of amusing remarks about 'the colonies' and what a mistake it was that they were not longer British and how he enjoyed his annual trip across 'The Pond'. A couple of days later I am in a paint store in West Springfield on Rte 5 and this same bloke walks in. He goes behind the counter and with nary a trace of British accent asks me if I need any help.

I did mention I enjoyed his spiel at the Big E...he laughed and with his accent back in full force said that he did twist reality just a bit for the 17 days at the fair. I think the attendance tops one million on occasion.

Reaction Score
It is the term "lady huskies" and not calling them ladies that is the diference here.
The word to ‘ladies’ in reference to women in sports irritates me to no end. It is an antiquated term that implies social status and behavior. You’d never see a headline that says ‘Gentlemen at the Big E’. I know that much of this board consists of older males that don’t find gendered language disturbing, but as a woman who fought through years of inequality, it’s just something I can live without.

Reaction Score
There was a day when using ladies in connection with our Huskies would bring censure. Have I missed the memo?

PS. Is that Saylor front left of the second group photo?
Yes it is.

Reaction Score
The word to ‘ladies’ in reference to women in sports irritates me to no end. It is an antiquated term that implies social status and behavior. You’d never see a headline that says ‘Gentlemen at the Big E’. I know that much of this board consists of older males that don’t find gendered language disturbing, but as a woman who fought through years of inequality, it’s just something I can live without.
If it were men, I would have said Men at the Big E. I didn’t want to say girls, so I used Ladies. Next time I’ll just say At The Big E. Jeesh!

Reaction Score
I live within walking distance of the Maryland State Fair grounds. The fair grounds are 143 years old and the fair has been held for 140 of those years. There was a break during WWII when the US army used the grounds. Their motto is "The Best Two Weeks of Summer." Can't argue that.

Reaction Score
Amen sister!
(I used thumbs down on the og post specifically for that reason.)

Reaction Score
Boy, that does take me back. I grew up in Springfield, and went every year when I was a kid., I even remember a few years when they let school out so kids could go.
When I left the area, I went back for many, many consecutive years, just because. And when my daughter was growing up in eastern Mass. we would go every year. It because such a routine that after she moved to Minnesota, she came back one year and we went again, just because.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Genuinely wondering about the word usage:

I often hear our players saying things like 'I love to play with these girls'.
I rarely hear them say 'I love to play with these women'.
That is also true ofttimes when I hear women in other sports talking about teammates [or competitors].

Does this irritate/offend you at all?
Irritate you a bit and wish they would stop it?
Irritate you a lot and really REALLY wish they would just STOP it?

Geno often refers to the players as 'guys'. Never heard him use the word 'gals'.
Is the use of 'gals' offensive?

Let's say I see someone hitting a long drive in a golf match and said to someone not looking at the TV
'that guy can really hit it'. My bet is that the non-viewer would assume I was talking about a man. True or not?
If I said 'that gal can really hit it' my bet is that the non-viewer would assume I was talking about a woman. True or not?
And the non-viewer would not be offended by the use of the word 'gal'...whether the non-viewer was a man or woman...true or not?

'Guys' are OK to describe men and women....your opinion?
'Gals' is not OK to describe women...your opinion?
'Gal'...singular...is OK to describe A woman....your opinion?

Uhhh...if one of our great moderators....[guy/gal/man/woman]...thinks this post is inappropriate I am sure a wise decision
will be made.

BTW: 'Ladies' 'Gentlemen'
I would be delighted if male athletes [in particular] would comport themselves as 'gentlemen' especially off court.
There are far too many headlines where that standard is not even close to being met.
We know that Pat just loved the term 'Lady Vols' and defended that usage throughout her days. Would not bother me a bit if the Tenn. adminstration decided that the men's teams there would henceforth be known as Gentlemen Vols.

[Tongue slightly in cheek there...know it ain't likely]

BTW: 'Ladies' and 'Gentlemen' I would find it delightful if male athletes [in particular]
acted like 'gentlemen' ...especially off the playing fields... where way too often the headlines indicate some fall far short of that standard.

Reaction Score
Genuinely wondering about the word usage:

I often hear our players saying things like 'I love to play with these girls'.
I rarely hear them say 'I love to play with these women'.
That is also true ofttimes when I hear women in other sports talking about teammates [or competitors].

Does this irritate/offend you at all?
Irritate you a bit and wish they would stop it?
Irritate you a lot and really REALLY wish they would just STOP it?

Geno often refers to the players as 'guys'. Never heard him use the word 'gals'.
Is the use of 'gals' offensive?

Let's say I see someone hitting a long drive in a golf match and said to someone not looking at the TV
'that guy can really hit it'. My bet is that the non-viewer would assume I was talking about a man. True or not?
If I said 'that gal can really hit it' my bet is that the non-viewer would assume I was talking about a woman. True or not?
And the non-viewer would not be offended by the use of the word 'gal'...whether the non-viewer was a man or woman...true or not?

Uhhh...if one of our great moderators....[guy/gal/man/woman]...thinks this post is inappropriate I am sure a wise decision
will be made.

BTW: 'Ladies' 'Gentlemen'
I would be delighted if male athletes [in particular] would comport themselves as 'gentlemen' especially off court.
There are far too many headlines where that standard is not even close to being met.
We know that Pat just loved the term 'Lady Vols' and defended that usage throughout her days. Would not bother me a bit if the Tenn. adminstration decided that the men's teams there would henceforth be known as Gentlemen Vols.

[Tongue slightly in cheek there...know it ain't likely]

BTW: 'Ladies' and 'Gentlemen' I would find it delightful if male athletes [in particular]
acted like 'gentlemen' ...especially off the playing fields... where way too often the headlines indicate some fall far short of that standard.
No matter what you say, someone out there will be offended. Ugh!

Reaction Score
This is an interesting point..for me (woman over 50, retired from a long career, living in Connecticut), gal/gals is pejorative. I think it is because it’s reminiscent of the term ‘gal Friday’.
Your comments about golf were what really raised my eyebrows, though. How is it that women’s professional golf is the LPGA?

Reaction Score
This is an interesting point..for me (woman over 50, retired from a long career, living in Connecticut), gal/gals is pejorative. I think it is because it’s reminiscent of the term ‘gal Friday’.
Your comments about golf were what really raised my eyebrows, though. How is it that women’s professional golf is the LPGA?
Because the 13 women who founded the tour in 1950 chose that name. It seems they didn’t want to be confused with men’s golf. The men’s tour didn’t trademark the name PGA Tour until 1968 when they spun off from the PGA of America.

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
I have been trying to transition to being a PLURALIST: allowing for many different opinions and points of view, including
language. It is not easy to find a middle ground. !1 Go Huskies!! Sincerely Z

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Whaddaya think? Our ladies have been together for a whole month now. Do you think they have had enough time to form a tight bond? How long does it take for a team to bond?

Query: Has the Boneyard settled on the "appropriate" or acceptable word we can use to to refer to our team? i.e., girls, ladies or women?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom