2022 Recruiting: - Kyle Filipowski | Page 4 | The Boneyard

2022 Recruiting: Kyle Filipowski

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The “lead guy” who worked for the best college coach of all time. You think Zion went to Duke for the opportunity to play for Jon Scheyer?

(He might very well crush it as head coach, and it’s not like they’re going to fall off the map, but it’s silly to say that Duke’s recruiting in the post-K era won’t be a little different.)
Never said Zion went to Duke to play for Scheyer. Said Scheyer was the lead recruiter for K on Zion and many others.If you don't think assistant coaches don't have an impact on recruiting certain players --I'm surprised. You don't think Murray isn't impacting some of the recruits coming through Storrs to look at our Program?

My point in bringing up Scheyer at all is the fact that one of his talents is as a recruiter. Of course it helps to have a HOF coach as a head coach as it was with JC.

Reaction Score
I have not seen he has committed anywhere. You guys are scared. You think DH has stopped recruiting him? Let's take on the big boys and beat them to a pulp. Like the old days, we will beat them with who we have.

Reaction Score
I have not seen he has committed anywhere. You guys are scared. You think DH has stopped recruiting him? Let's take on the big boys and beat them to a pulp. Like the old days, we will beat them with who we have.
Expecting that to happen more and more during the DH Era at UConn.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
Never said Zion went to Duke to play for Scheyer. Said Scheyer was the lead recruiter for K on Zion and many others.If you don't think assistant coaches don't have an impact on recruiting certain players --I'm surprised. You don't think Murray isn't impacting some of the recruits coming through Storrs to look at our Program?

My point in bringing up Scheyer at all is the fact that one of his talents is as a recruiter. Of course it helps to have a HOF coach as a head coach as it was with JC.
I think the point is we really have no idea how good a recruiter Scheyer is because he’s been selling easily the most desirable product in the game—playing at Duke for arguably the most revered coach in the history of the game. That is not a tough sell to teenagers wanting to play college basketball, and most likely many assistants in the game could’ve done what he’s done at Duke to this point.

He may very well end up doing a great job with the program, but you can be sure that up until now he could’ve left Duke at any point and they would not have lost one single recruit because of it.

How desirable Duke remains without Coach K remains to be seen. If other similar situations are any indicator, it seems like there’ll likely be some early inertia that keeps high level recruits coming in the door (maybe not classes filled with top of 10 recruits like they’ve done), but they’ll start losing 5 stars if he doesn’t knock it out of the park off the bat.

Reaction Score
I think the point is we really have no idea how good a recruiter Scheyer is because he’s been selling easily the most desirable product in the game—playing at Duke for arguably the most revered coach in the history of the game. That is not a tough sell to teenagers wanting to play college basketball, and most likely many assistants in the game could’ve done what he’s done at Duke to this point.

He may very well end up doing a great job with the program, but you can be sure that up until now he could’ve left Duke at any point and they would not have lost one single recruit because of it.

How desirable Duke remains without Coach K remains to be seen. If other similar situations are any indicator, it seems like there’ll likely be some early inertia that keeps high level recruits coming in the door (maybe not classes filled with top of 10 recruits like they’ve done), but they’ll start losing 5 stars if he doesn’t knock it out of the park off the bat.
Very good assessment of the situation. It’s like being nick sabans lead recruiter at Alabama . It’s a tough job and hard work but you get your foot in every door and it isn’t an indicator of future success.

Reaction Score
This is just a portion of the kids Scheyer was point man for:

870D8533-EF39-4611-Aaliyah Edwards-FDF70E71F04A.png

Reaction Score
Scheyer wasn't even the point man on Zion. Do people actually think he's an amazing recruiter because he recruited at Duke for coach K? I guess Capel and Nate James are also amazing. Capel hasn't been all that amazing at Pitt though. It's weird, I'm not sure what the difference is.

Reaction Score
Not really..Scheyer has been associated with many of Duke's recruiting successes. Not sure you can say the same about Ollie. IIRC. .Ollie was never JC's lead recruiter. Big difference.

Bazz decision to come to UConn had little if any impact from Ollie.
For certain, my comment was a little tongue in cheek. Merely I was saying that Jon Scheyer isn’t closing kids over every other school based on his personal pedigree.

at the end of the day, Scheyer will have to f up really bad to tarnish the Duke culture, which should always lure top talent. Hopefully the gap will be much smaller than it has been in the past

Reaction Score

Agree with you. When it's all said and done. Coaches have to be able to coach.

Reaction Score
FWIW Flip jumped 11 in ESPN rankings to 20 this week. Was somewhere between 30-50 (I think).

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Does Unofficial vs. Official matter much these days? I understand what is allowed on each, but in terms of "commitment towards certain schools?"

Just seems like we're doing so many unofficial visits that it's hard to gauge the interest levels to a degree
Unofficial is on the recruit's dime. Official is on ours. Hurley is concentrating on the northeast. High level recruits will save their officials for more distant schools.

Wonder though, if anyone has done a breakdown on how many recruits commit off an unofficial as compared to official.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
With Karaban we could say the opponent was "Karabanned" when the winning shot drops.......
Or you could use the same phrase when someone tries to dunk on him and gets blocked and he says "don't bring that contraband in here"

Reaction Score

this is a wrap lol. He looks so excited.

Yup.

Recruitment: Filipowski has led a very busy recruitment the last month taking several unofficial and official visits to Ohio State, Syracuse, Indiana and Duke that started early this week. He will also be taking unofficial visits to UConn and Northwestern. Duke is his most recent offer and have arguably propelled themselves atop the race for the four-start big man but Ohio State, Syracuse and Indiana are all right there in the mix as well.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Recruitment: Filipowski has led a very busy recruitment the last month taking several unofficial and official visits to Ohio State, Syracuse, Indiana and Duke that started early this week. He will also be taking unofficial visits to UConn and Northwestern. Duke is his most recent offer and have arguably propelled themselves atop the race for the four-start big man but Ohio State, Syracuse and Indiana are all right there in the mix as well.
Why the rush for a player with only four starts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom