Kyla Irwin | The Boneyard

Kyla Irwin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Haven't posted in a while but I've been reading/lurking and one thing is driving me crazy. Can we please as a group get Kyla's name correct? It is not Kayla, it's Kyla. I just think that it's something that us as UConn WBB fans should be able to nail down. Sorry for the somewhat negative post but it's just something that has been on my mind...11 days until First Night!!!

HGN

Reaction Score
Has anyone heard what the latest is on Kyla's , or Kayla's , injury or injuries , are ? How is the recovery coming along?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Alright, I got Kyla's name right. But just the other day one poster was chastising me for referring to the players by first name-though it was disrespectful. Now what am I supposed to do now? I suppose I will still occasionally struggle with Saniya, Azura', Tierney, Batouly, & Napheesa so please forgive. That accent in Azura' is that silent? What is the correct possessive form of Azura'. Can you please use it in a sentence? Is there a way we can get all the proper spelling into a BY dictionary and have it auto correct-I'd hate to offend anyone.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Has anyone heard what the latest is on Kyla's , or Kayla's , injury or injuries , are ? How is the recovery coming along?
Uhm.... We don't have a Kayla on the roster so I'm sure she fully recoverd.

CBear01

Plan your work and work your plan
Reaction Score
Alright, I got Kyla's name right. But just the other day one poster was chastising me for referring to the players by first name-though it was disrespectful. Now what am I supposed to do now? I suppose I will still occasionally struggle with Saniya, Azura', Tierney, Batouly, & Napheesa so please forgive. That accent in Azura' is that silent? What is the correct possessive form of Azura'. Can you please use it in a sentence? Is there a way we can get all the proper spelling into a BY dictionary and have it auto correct-I'd hate to offend anyone.

It had been bothering me for some time...then a poster uploaded a video of Azurá and she herself pronounces her name differently than I originally heard on TV...
Pronounced: - uhr - Aye with the last part of the name being the stressed syllable like saying the letter "A"

Idk maybe this helps a bit with the confusion

Reaction Score

I wondered too about Azura's name pronunciation. So I listened carefully when she introduced herself on a video recently, and she pronounced her name Azure, as in the color (blue). That being the case, I thought to drop the accent mark because it seems to be just decorative (hope I'm not being cheeky), add the apostrophe and s. My earlier guess was that she'd pronounce her name Azur-a (long a) with the accent. Probably best to hear it a few more times before deciding definitively, but I think Azura will cut us some slack; her name has probably pronounced incorrectly and misspelled more often than not. In fairness, she may spell the plural Azura''s or place the accent OVER the a and then add the apostrophe. My typewriter won't permit me to do this.

Reaction Score
Uhm.... We don't have a Kayla on the roster so I'm sure she fully recoverd.
We have Kyla ... well how do I pronounce Kyla? I do have problem with Saniya for a while.

Reaction Score
Accents are always silent, Coco. :) It's the stress they add to the vowel which isn't. And I'm certain it's pronounced Azurey, with the stress on the "ey". Of course, she does go by AZ, which is how some of us, at least, refer to her. Possessive? A little hard because the inverted comma isn't really an accent but a cheat. It should be an accent aegu (acute accent). look here:
UCONNHUSKIES.COM :: Official Women's Basketball Roster :: University of Connecticut Huskies Official Athletic Site :: Women's Basketball
where, amazingly, they don't provide pronunciation of her name.
If we could write it that way, it would simply be apostrophe s.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Accents are always silent, Coco. :) It's the stress they add to the vowel which isn't. And I'm certain it's pronounced Azurey, with the stress on the "ey". Of course, she does go by AZ, which is how some of us, at least refer to her.
kdKdw.gif

Reaction Score
Haven't posted in a while but I've been reading/lurking and one thing is driving me crazy. Can we please as a group get Kyla's name correct? It is not Kayla, it's Kyla. I just think that it's something that us as UConn WBB fans should be able to nail down. Sorry for the somewhat negative post but it's just something that has been on my mind...11 days until First Night!!!
If that is your view of a NEGATIVE post---keep posting!! OUR UConn Women deserve to have their names spelled and pronounced correctly--especially on This Site!
Since you brought her up--I''m usually a downer when Freshmen recruits are mentioned--the media has made some (in the past) Gods gift to Uconn-and they flop. Kyla with her mom's fundamentals, her size, and the size of her hand--I'm a believer. I have seen Crystal play some --and I'm a believer. Molly--a New England kid, from Centerville (I believe) a town that put out the best HS baskeball players in New England year after year when the ball was square--has the wear with all to be a Faris plus plus plus.

Reaction Score
And have you seen how fit Kyla looks? That woman has come to Storrs ready to rumble! I suspect she'll get a fair amount of playing time as Natalie's sub at the 5, though she's probably a true 4.

Reaction Score
And have you seen how fit Kyla looks? That woman has come to Storrs ready to rumble! I suspect she'll get a fair amount of playing time as Natalie's sub at the 5, though she's probably a true 4.

I hope you are correct and all we've seen or heard suggest she'll be the first ready for prime time. Uconn certainly needs her to be ready.

Reaction Score

Tomato Tomaato. You are easily pushed over the edge.
Does Kayla Erwon really care ?

Reaction Score

I'm even more impressed with Kyla. The best arrangement IMHO is that--at some point--Kyla should start and Napheesa and Gabby should act as subs. My thinking is that Gabby is so impressive off the bench, such an energizer--and she is more like Collier than like Kyla. Irwin seems to me because of her body type (similar to Tuck's) best suited to become a solid fixture inside (though, like Morgan, she can also shoot the 3). Ideally, the "final five" starters will be Crystal, Kia, KLS, Napheesa and Kyla. Bent is a complete mystery to me; I hope she can spell the guards along with Saniya (if healthy). There really is no depth this year. If anyone is out for a sustained time, there's no where to go (another reason that I'd like to keep either Napheesa or Gabby as replacements). Aside from health, Gabby also tends to foul; can't have that now. Oddly, Geno is going to have to develop both a team and a bench this year.

Reaction Score
Tomato Tomaato. You are easily pushed over the edge.
Does Kayla Erwon really care ?
Don't you think Kyla thought of her posting was negative?? Would a Rose by another name know who you were calling??
Isn't that a super nice kid--trying to get us to write and speak her name properly?? I say : Thank you Kyla Irwin!!

Reaction Score
I'm even more impressed with Kyla. The best arrangement IMHO is that--at some point--Kyla should start and Napheesa and Gabby should act as subs. My thinking is that Gabby is so impressive off the bench, such an energizer--and she is more like Collier than like Kyla. Irwin seems to me because of her body type (similar to Tuck's) best suited to become a solid fixture inside (though, like Morgan, she can also shoot the 3). Ideally, the "final five" starters will be Crystal, Kia, KLS, Napheesa and Kyla. Bent is a complete mystery to me; I hope she can spell the guards along with Saniya (if healthy). There really is no depth this year. If anyone is out for a sustained time, there's no where to go (another reason that I'd like to keep either Napheesa or Gabby as replacements). Aside from health, Gabby also tends to foul; can't have that now. Oddly, Geno is going to have to develop both a team and a bench this year.
Bent is a solid, unflashy, old time hard working steady fundamentally sound , good 3 ball and can dish well and can score a bit. Look for her to be Faris with a huge upside in 3 ball shooting. Defense--she like all the frosh will learn. She didn't make the headlines outside of her Academy--headlines don't make a great player (always)!

Reaction Score
I appreciate (and understand) your enthusiasm for Kyla, but I don't agree (as if that matters!). Despite excellent coaching in HS (who better than your parents?), she will be schooled early by very tough teams. And your post doesn't mention Natalie, and I think she's essential if UConn is going to compete against teams with bigs. Can't imagine us beating USC, for example, without her; and then Baylor and even ND (Turner). Natalie doesn't need to be an AA, but she does need to be effective, IMO.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I hope you are correct and all we've seen or heard suggest she'll be the first ready for prime time. Uconn certainly needs her to be ready.
I do not mean to be a wet blanket, but I hope folks here are tempering their expectations. At 6'2", Kyla is smaller than KLS, and barely taller than Napheesa. And I can't see her getting much PT if Gabby continues her meteoric rise in skill and talent level (or even if she simply maintains from last season). I don't know Kyla's composite ranking, but she's a much lower rated recruit than, say, Courtney Emkark, and you saw how many minutes she got her first 2 years.

Granted Courtney was playing behind the greatest trio in the history of the game (however CE was a guard unlike Stewie and Morgan), but my point is that if UCONN REALLY needs to rely on Kyla, it will not bode well for our season. I hope she gets a chance to play in some blowout games and during the last 4-5 minutes of "closer" games (20+ point wins), but I doubt we will see much of her for the first few years on the court. Also keep in mind that next year we bring in Camara and Stevens. PT will be hard to come by for Kyla during her career, unless she blossoms by her senior year.

This year, forward/wing types will be Butler, Williams, Collier and Samuelson. I also expect guards Nurse, Chong, and Dangerfield to get lots of time obviously as well. That's a rotation of 7, and given Geno has gone with a rotation as small as 6, I'd be shocked to see Bent or Irwin get meaningful minutes on the court this season...

Reaction Score
I do not mean to be a wet blanket, but I hope folks here are tempering their expectations. At 6'2", Kyla is smaller than KLS, and barely taller than Napheesa. And I can't see her getting much PT if Gabby continues her meteoric rise in skill and talent level (or even if she simply maintains from last season). I don't know Kyla's composite ranking, but she's a much lower rated recruit than, say, Courtney Emkark, and you saw how many minutes she got her first 2 years.

Granted Courtney was playing behind the greatest trio in the history of the game (however CE was a guard unlike Stewie and Morgan), but my point is that if UCONN REALLY needs to rely on Kyla, it will not bode well for our season. I hope she gets a chance to play in some blowout games and during the last 4-5 minutes of "closer" games (20+ point wins), but I doubt we will see much of her for the first few years on the court. Also keep in mind that next year we bring in Camara and Stevens. PT will be hard to come by for Kyla during her career, unless she blossoms by her senior year.

This year, forward/wing types will be Butler, Williams, Collier and Samuelson. I also expect guards Nurse, Chong, and Dangerfield to get lots of time obviously as well. That's a rotation of 7, and given Geno has gone with a rotation as small as 6, I'd be shocked to see Bent or Irwin get meaningful minutes on the court this season...
No argument here about the starters; I think she subs for Natalie, but I'm betting on her getting more playing time than you are, because if/when they go uptempto, Natalie will tire.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score

There are plenty of minutes this year considering the smaller roster with some unproven players and freshmen involved. Considering the relative lack of frontcourt depth and size, I'd bet there will be at least 15 minutes a game waiting for Irwin if she's ready for them.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
If that is your view of a NEGATIVE post---keep posting!! OUR UConn Women deserve to have their names spelled and pronounced correctly--especially on This Site!
Since you brought her up--I''m usually a downer when Freshmen recruits are mentioned--the media has made some (in the past) Gods gift to Uconn-and they flop. Kyla with her mom's fundamentals, her size, and the size of her hand--I'm a believer. I have seen Crystal play some --and I'm a believer. Molly--a New England kid, from Centerville (I believe) a town that put out the best HS baskeball players in New England year after year when the ball was square--has the wear with all to be a Faris plus plus plus.
Wear with all???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS