Kyla Irwin | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Kyla Irwin

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
There are plenty of minutes this year considering the smaller roster with some unproven players and freshmen involved. Considering the relative lack of frontcourt depth and size, I'd bet there will be at least 15 minutes a game waiting for Irwin if she's ready for them.
Of course I hope you are right. Last year Geno really only went 7 deep in big games, but he went 10 deep in that Ekmark averaged almost 9 minutes per game. Last year we had 12 including Lawlor and Pulido. This year we only have 10 including Lawlor. And I hope Irwin and Bent EARN lots of PT (meaning they work really hard and play well enough for Geno to give them scratch well beyond the last 4 minutes of a game)...

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Alright, I got Kyla's name right. But just the other day one poster was chastising me for referring to the players by first name-though it was disrespectful. Now what am I supposed to do now? I suppose I will still occasionally struggle with Saniya, Azura', Tierney, Batouly, & Napheesa so please forgive. That accent in Azura' is that silent? What is the correct possessive form of Azura'. Can you please use it in a sentence? Is there a way we can get all the proper spelling into a BY dictionary and have it auto correct-I'd hate to offend anyone.
You know I try to always refer to any Lady Husky as Ms. followed by their last name. I suppose someone will find that offensive, but I'll take my chances.

That said, here goes. I know I've said this before, but I'm convinced the starting position won't be a cakewalk this first year for Ms. Danger. To repeat, I believe Ms. Bent and her hell bent for leather style will receive more time during the first half of the season as third PG off the bench, after Mss. Nurse and Chong respectively. I think Ms. Williams will float between the 2 and 3 when Mss. Samuelson and Collier sit. The real problem for Geno is the lack of size off the bench. I believe early on and late Mss. Collier and Irwin will share that duty behind Ms. Butler. I believe come time for the Ladies Cotillion in Dallas Little Ms. Danger will be front and center.

Coco, man that was kind of exhausting.

Reaction Score
You know I try to always refer to any Lady Husky as Ms. followed by their last name. I suppose someone will find that offensive, but I'll take my chances.

That said, here goes. I know I've said this before, but I'm convinced the starting position won't be a cakewalk this first year for Ms. Danger. To repeat, I believe Ms. Bent and her hell bent for leather style will receive more time during the first half of the season as third PG off the bench, after Mss. Nurse and Chong respectively. I think Ms. Williams will float between the 2 and 3 when Mss. Samuelson and Collier sit. The real problem for Geno is the lack of size off the bench. I believe early on and late Mss. Collier and Irwin will share that duty behind Ms. Butler. I believe come time for the Ladies Cotillion in Dallas Little Ms. Danger will be front and center.

I dunno. I say this in humor and friendship. But to be so formal with Ms. and last names, and then not actually give Crystal her full last name seems, well, at the very least inconsistent, right? Of course, a foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, and no BYers can be accused of having that!

CBear01

Plan your work and work your plan
Reaction Score

I think it will be Ms. Peacock in the library with the rope who gets the minutes, but it's still too early to tell
:D

JordyG

Reaction Score
I dunno. I say this in humor and friendship. But to be so formal with Ms. and last names, and then not actually give Crystal her full last name seems, well, at the very least inconsistent, right? Of course, a foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, and no BYers can be accused of having that!
I knew somehow I'd be called on the carpet.

Reaction Score
Haven't posted in a while but I've been reading/lurking and one thing is driving me crazy. Can we please as a group get Kyla's name correct? It is not Kayla, it's Kyla. I just think that it's something that us as UConn WBB fans should be able to nail down. Sorry for the somewhat negative post but it's just something that has been on my mind...11 days until First Night!!!

Hey, as long as Gino knows, that's good enough for me.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score

tumblr_ltj9mmZI5i1qhn2m2o1_500.png

Reaction Score
I do not mean to be a wet blanket, but I hope folks here are tempering their expectations. At 6'2", Kyla is smaller than KLS, and barely taller than Napheesa. And I can't see her getting much PT if Gabby continues her meteoric rise in skill and talent level (or even if she simply maintains from last season). I don't know Kyla's composite ranking, but she's a much lower rated recruit than, say, Courtney Emkark, and you saw how many minutes she got her first 2 years.

Granted Courtney was playing behind the greatest trio in the history of the game (however CE was a guard unlike Stewie and Morgan), but my point is that if UCONN REALLY needs to rely on Kyla, it will not bode well for our season. I hope she gets a chance to play in some blowout games and during the last 4-5 minutes of "closer" games (20+ point wins), but I doubt we will see much of her for the first few years on the court. Also keep in mind that next year we bring in Camara and Stevens. PT will be hard to come by for Kyla during her career, unless she blossoms by her senior year.

This year, forward/wing types will be Butler, Williams, Collier and Samuelson. I also expect guards Nurse, Chong, and Dangerfield to get lots of time obviously as well. That's a rotation of 7, and given Geno has gone with a rotation as small as 6, I'd be shocked to see Bent or Irwin get meaningful minutes on the court this season...

Reaction Score
I do not mean to be a wet blanket, but I hope folks here are tempering their expectations. At 6'2", Kyla is smaller than KLS, and barely taller than Napheesa. And I can't see her getting much PT if Gabby continues her meteoric rise in skill and talent level (or even if she simply maintains from last season). I don't know Kyla's composite ranking, but she's a much lower rated recruit than, say, Courtney Emkark, and you saw how many minutes she got her first 2 years.

Granted Courtney was playing behind the greatest trio in the history of the game (however CE was a guard unlike Stewie and Morgan), but my point is that if UCONN REALLY needs to rely on Kyla, it will not bode well for our season. I hope she gets a chance to play in some blowout games and during the last 4-5 minutes of "closer" games (20+ point wins), but I doubt we will see much of her for the first few years on the court. Also keep in mind that next year we bring in Camara and Stevens. PT will be hard to come by for Kyla during her career, unless she blossoms by her senior year.

This year, forward/wing types will be Butler, Williams, Collier and Samuelson. I also expect guards Nurse, Chong, and Dangerfield to get lots of time obviously as well. That's a rotation of 7, and given Geno has gone with a rotation as small as 6, I'd be shocked to see Bent or Irwin get meaningful minutes on the court this season...
Eric--I have more sense than disagree with you--but I see the Ekmark/Kyla comparison as a non-comparison. Courtney came to Uconn highly hyped--lots of Media stories about what she was doing to be in top level ready to play at Uconn--boom. Her injury hurt her in lack of practice and Pt--but she never reached the level she was supposed to have had. I was terrible unhappy seeing her sit.

Kyla--is big (in all aspects of that term)--she IS barely taller than Collier (whom I believe will be an AA)
She did well at College Station (yep, Mama is the coach of the college). We will see as the season progresses if she is a boom or bust--I believe she is a keeper.

The four you mention with Kia obviously are this years kernel. I seriously doubt that Chong will be a starting guard---it's not just her injury--I won't diss her here but she has other deficiencies.
You have read my posting on Dangerfield--I believe she will be the point before the season goes by Dec.

Bent's only deficiency is she played in a smaller pond and she has a lot of Div 1 learning to do.

Eric--no disrespect---if all you say about Kyla is correct--why do you think Geno and his support Coaches selected Kyla? In a year when coaching will be at it's highest level in 4 or more years--why would they select a project? Geno has had very good words about her--is he blowing smoke at us fans??

I have another reason for being very high on Kyla, Bent, Crystal: why should we try to knock them down before they get a chance to show us what they can or can't do. It costs nothing to take the higher road
with the new kids--we'll know soon enough. You spoke the REAL truth--UConn needs these kids badly if nothing more than to be great subs..

Reaction Score
I appreciate (and understand) your enthusiasm for Kyla, but I don't agree (as if that matters!). Despite excellent coaching in HS (who better than your parents?), she will be schooled early by very tough teams. And your post doesn't mention Natalie, and I think she's essential if UConn is going to compete against teams with bigs. Can't imagine us beating USC, for example, without her; and then Baylor and even ND (Turner). Natalie doesn't need to be an AA, but she does need to be effective, IMO.
Bags--Every thing you say is excellent and true--BUT--some parents can teach and coach their own--many cannot (but the parents rarely know they are not the best for their kid). Familiarity isn't always the best road.
Natalie, I can't imagine UC beating anyone with one or more bigs without her. You are correct in that the 3 newbies will need Div one /primetime WBB education--Geno has been among the best at that (although Muffet is pretty good there)--Geno will NOT throw them to the wolves ==until they are ready--unless he has no other option (and we saw that when KML was a frosh)

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Alright, I got Kyla's name right. But just the other day one poster was chastising me for referring to the players by first name-though it was disrespectful. Now what am I supposed to do now? I suppose I will still occasionally struggle with Saniya, Azura', Tierney, Batouly, & Napheesa so please forgive. That accent in Azura' is that silent? What is the correct possessive form of Azura'. Can you please use it in a sentence? Is there a way we can get all the proper spelling into a BY dictionary and have it auto correct-I'd hate to offend anyone.

This the pronunciation given by the Duke media guide - "Ah - zer - Ray"

Reaction Score

Rather than getting in trouble for using Ms and last names 0r first names or combinations --you will get in a lot more trouble for calling them LADY HUSKIES--- Geno put that term into closet many years ago--he does not coach Women or Men--he coaches BASKETBALL PLAYERS --so Uconn has a Women's Basketball team called --simply the HUSKIES.
Frankly, I doubt what part or whole of a UC players name you use matters little --and every true fan knows it is not insult.
AS Bridgeport's own PT Barnum once said---mentions my name any way you want--just mention it (that's great PR)..
At to the 3 Frosh whether they play early or late or not play at all is shear speculation and opinion--let the opinions roll..

Reaction Score

Reading is fundamental--for others --I misses/skipped over The Ladies Cotillion in Dallas and Little Danger will be front and center.
I suspect that "Little Danger" will prove to be Big dynamite the end of this year.. Thanks JordyG...

JordyG

Reaction Score
Reading is fundamental--for others --I misses/skipped over The Ladies Cotillion in Dallas and Little Danger will be front and center.
I suspect that "Little Danger" will prove to be Big dynamite the end of this year.. Thanks JordyG...
My thoughts exactly.

Reaction Score
Eric--I have more sense than disagree with you--but I see the Ekmark/Kyla comparison as a non-comparison. Courtney came to Uconn highly hyped--lots of Media stories about what she was doing to be in top level ready to play at Uconn--boom. Her injury hurt her in lack of practice and Pt--but she never reached the level she was supposed to have had. I was terrible unhappy seeing her sit.

Kyla--is big (in all aspects of that term)--she IS barely taller than Collier (whom I believe will be an AA)
She did well at College Station (yep, Mama is the coach of the college). We will see as the season progresses if she is a boom or bust--I believe she is a keeper.

The four you mention with Kia obviously are this years kernel. I seriously doubt that Chong will be a starting guard---it's not just her injury--I won't diss her here but she has other deficiencies.
You have read my posting on Dangerfield--I believe she will be the point before the season goes by Dec.

Bent's only deficiency is she played in a smaller pond and she has a lot of Div 1 learning to do.

Eric--no disrespect---if all you say about Kyla is correct--why do you think Geno and his support Coaches selected Kyla? In a year when coaching will be at it's highest level in 4 or more years--why would they select a project? Geno has had very good words about her--is he blowing smoke at us fans??

I have another reason for being very high on Kyla, Bent, Crystal: why should we try to knock them down before they get a chance to show us what they can or can't do. It costs nothing to take the higher road
with the new kids--we'll know soon enough. You spoke the REAL truth--UConn needs these kids badly if nothing more than to be great subs..

Broadway- love the post and agree on most points. One clarifying point is that Bent's high school league may have been a small pond in terms of media coverage/number of teams in the league but it was one filled with some pretty darn big fish. Almost every team that she would have played the last 3 years would have had division 1 players on it. Her senior class alone at her school had 4 D1 commits including her backcourt mate Aarion Bradshaw that she went up against every day in practice who now plays for Dawn at South Carolina. The league is incredibly deep with talent. Another example is that Aliyah Boston, one of the last 4 cuts for the USA U-17 team was not even named to the league All Star team (Although she probably deserved to be).

Reaction Score
Broadway- love the post and agree on most points. One clarifying point is that Bent's high school league may have been a small pond in terms of media coverage/number of teams in the league but it was one filled with some pretty darn big fish. Almost every team that she would have played the last 3 years would have had division 1 players on it. Her senior class alone at her school had 4 D1 commits including her backcourt mate Aarion Bradshaw that she went up against every day in practice who now plays for Dawn at South Carolina. The league is incredibly deep with talent. Another example is that Aliyah Boston, one of the last 4 cuts for the USA U-17 team was not even named to the league All Star team (Although she probably deserved to be).

If I offended you or MOLLY--that was not my intent. I realize some of her team end up with some pretty fair colleges. Still she didn't play on any team that came close to Div 1. I have said often here in that I believe in Geno and his Assistants--they selected her.
If she is first off the bench in November--I'll be surprised --and pleased if it happens. You say Aliyah Boston--made the last cut-. Please don't prove one player is great because other players were exceptional---.I don't need to know anything about Molly other than she is a HUSKIE!!

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score

College Station? Do you mean State College? If so Kyla's then mother was the high school not college coach. If not did your referent, "she did well," to Collier? I'm confused.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Tomato Tomaato. You are easily pushed over the edge.
Does Kayla Erwon really care ?
If there is one thing most people care deeply about, it is their name.

Names are the sweetest and most important sound in any language. - Dale Carnegie

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
You know I try to always refer to any Lady Husky as Ms. followed by their last name.
....but I'm convinced the starting position won't be a cakewalk this first year for Ms. Danger. .....I believe come time for the Ladies Cotillion in Dallas Little Ms. Danger will be front and center.
Huh-9jjr6n.jpg

Reaction Score
College Station? Do you mean State College? If so Kyla's then mother was the high school not college coach. If not did your referent, "she did well," to Collier? I'm confused.
Thanks---.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS