KO's weakness as a coach is apparent | The Boneyard

KO's weakness as a coach is apparent

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
This is not a flame post, hear me out...

Our team right now has a 6-man rotation out of necessity due to injuries to major contributors and a lack of bodies. Coincidentally, over the past few games, we've put out the same lineup of guys and they've played the best basketball we've seen all year.

(2015-2016) Last year, it was obvious that the team got comfortable with it's roles and found an identity in the 2nd half of the season. Adams sliding into PG with Gibbs moving to the 2 solidified the rotations and line-up. It also took KO almost half the year to realize that playing through Miller in the post was our best offense. As a result, they had a nice second half and an AAC tourney championship run. But their early season struggles forced them into a tough seed and a tough early NCAA tourney draw in the 2nd rd.

(2014-2015) 2 years ago, the team didn't have much talent beyond a senior Boatright and inexperienced freshman Hamilton. T-Sam couldn't fill the secondary ball-handler role. KO changed the starting rotation constantly... switching between starting Brimah/Nolan at center, T-Sam/Purvis at SG, Purvis/Calhoun at SF, Facey/Hamilton at PF.... it was a mess. The team could never find a groove, never strung together more than 3 wins in a row. 1st round NIT exit.

(2013-2014) In KO's 2nd year as a head coach, he had nearly the exact same roster as the year before, Kromah the only addition, but only as a reserve. The starting line-up and roles were clearly defined. KO had the same rotations consistent throughout the year. The result was a 26-8 season, no bad losses (@HOU, maybe?). As we all know, the team won a national championship despite some obvious front-court deficiencies.

Let's call KO's first year a mulligan... the team played very well while playing under a ban, and suffered a lot of injuries.

What's the common thread of success throughout KO's tenure as head coach? CONSISTENT LINE-UPS AND ROTATIONS WITH CLEARLY DEFINED ROLES.

I think it's become apparent that KO has struggled to find the right line-ups and rotations to form a consistent and cohesive team. TEAM CHEMISTRY cannot be understated. Once KO's teams become familiar with and comfortable in their roles in his pro-style philosophies, they shine. However, we have seen that it takes KO a while to put together all of the pieces of the puzzle with his teams.

I love KO and I have no doubt that he's the man for the job despite terrible arguments by wingnuts on this board. However, it is obvious that he does have weaknesses as a coach. Finding his strongest line-up is one... working the officials is another. Is my theory an oversimplification, or does it have merit?

Last edited:
H

huskymagic

Your right in your analysis on Ollie. This is what many have attacked him for regarding his constant substitutions in games and playing players out of position. When guys have defined roles they play better. Giving the point guard keys to Alterique was a huge mistake as we saw and was mostly responsible for our horrible losses to Wagner and Northeastern. If Jalen is back for next year, he better make it clear to Gilbert that he will play off the ball and the team should know clearly Adams is the point guard. Vance Jackson should also be starting next year as well on the perimeter as our small forward. Larrier should play the Daniels role and be a stretch 4 as it suits his game better.

pj

Reaction Score
I feel that people here are looking for something negative to say about Ollie. He keeps proving them wrong and they keep coming up with some new criticism.

First he couldn't recruit, then he could recruit but couldn't game coach, then he couldn't develop players, now he can't settle on roles.

All bull**** in my opinion.

Sorry, it always took JC until February to settle fully on roles and rotation. All coaches take some time to find this. No coach could have found a good rotation with that 2014-15 team. You have to give Ollie credit, his teams have generally outperformed their talent. Now better talent is coming in, it will be interesting to see what he can do with it in years to come.

Reaction Score
KO ain't perfect and needs work or to make adjustments but he's young and probably will. I didn't love everything JC did either I hope KO shows them on video what they did to win and he also shortens his leash a lil bit and also spews a lil more venom. I hope practices next year are brutal and they strive for perfection which will make us tougher and make games easier for the kids. Staying healthy will help. I ain't worried bout KO fans will always question him and great coaches evolve and I think he's one of those coaches. Go Huskies

Reaction Score
His weakness is when he looks down the bench at the start of the game he doesn't see Emeka, Josh, Charlie, Hilton, Rashad, Denham, Ben, Taliek, Marcus Williams, Marcus White and Shamon.

Reaction Score

Our team right now has a 6-man rotation out of necessity due to injuries to major contributors and a lack of bodies. Coincidentally, over the past few games, we've put out the same lineup of guys and they've played the best basketball we've seen all year.

(2015-2016) Last year, it was obvious that the team got comfortable with it's roles and found an identity in the 2nd half of the season. Adams sliding into PG with Gibbs moving to the 2 solidified the rotations and line-up. It also took KO almost half the year to realize that playing through Miller in the post was our best offense. As a result, they had a nice second half and an AAC tourney championship run. But their early season struggles forced them into a tough seed and a tough early NCAA tourney draw in the 2nd rd.

(2014-2015) 2 years ago, the team didn't have much talent beyond a senior Boatright and inexperienced freshman Hamilton. T-Sam couldn't fill the secondary ball-handler role. KO changed the starting rotation constantly... switching between starting Brimah/Nolan at center, T-Sam/Purvis at SG, Purvis/Calhoun at SF, Facey/Hamilton at PF.... it was a mess. The team could never find a groove, never strung together more than 3 wins in a row. 1st round NIT exit.

(2013-2014) In KO's 2nd year as a head coach, he had nearly the exact same roster as the year before, Kromah the only addition, but only as a reserve. The starting line-up and roles were clearly defined. KO had the same rotations consistent throughout the year. The result was a 26-8 season, no bad losses (@HOU, maybe?). As we all know, the team won a national championship despite some obvious front-court deficiencies.

Let's call KO's first year a mulligan... the team played very well while playing under a ban, and suffered a lot of injuries.

What's the common thread of success throughout KO's tenure as head coach? CONSISTENT LINE-UPS AND ROTATIONS WITH CLEARLY DEFINED ROLES.

I think it's become apparent that KO has struggled to find the right line-ups and rotations to form a consistent and cohesive team. TEAM CHEMISTRY cannot be understated. Once KO's teams become familiar with and comfortable in their roles in his pro-style philosophies, they shine. However, we have seen that it takes KO a while to put together all of the pieces of the puzzle with his teams.

I love KO and I have no doubt that he's the man for the job despite terrible arguments by wingnuts on this board. However, it is obvious that he does have weaknesses as a coach. Finding his strongest line-up is one... working the officials is another. Is my theory an oversimplification, or does it have merit?
We looked good because we played USF and East Carolina, seems a lot of people here don't realize how horrific a team USF is. We are two games removed from an embarrassing drubbing at the hands of SMU.

Reaction Score
We looked good because we played USF and East Carolina, seems a lot of people here don't realize how horrific a team USF is. We are two games removed from an embarrassing drubbing at the hands of SMU.
We get spanked at moody every year, just move on from that game.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score

As frustrating as it is to say this, because in an ideal world we should be where they are, that kind of loss at their place is par for the course since joining the conference. Out of all of the years for us to break through against SMU on the road, who was expecting it to be with this walking wounded team?

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
You have become a broken record

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score

A lot of noise here. You obviously have never been a coach. Have you been to a game? Watch KO he's always in the refs ear when needed you just don't see it on tv. As far as consistent lineups are concerned some coaches don't have any and play strengths vs weaknesses and matchups. I kind of see what your trying to get at but it doesn't really fit imho

Reaction Score
I don't agree on some of the premises here. First, I don't think we looked good against East Carolina. Not at all. In fact, they played better against Georgetown. Second, I'm not sure why the first year is a mulligan. Isn't a mulligan an errant shot? I don't think the first year was errant at all. That team makes the tourney of not for a ban. Third, people were screaming early on this year that Facey should have been benched. I think Ollie knows better than us what his players can do. If he ever listened to us, Facey would be sitting the bench. And, lastly, Calhoun substituted players more than Ollie. He used to yank people in and out constantly.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
As frustrating as it is to say this, because in an ideal world we should be where they are, that kind of loss at their place is par for the course since joining the conference. Out of all of the years for us to break through against SMU on the road, who was expecting it to be with this walking wounded team?

The play early in the first half where Jackson ran baseline to get a wide open corner three from the left is a play UConn couldn't run a month ago.

I know ECU and USF but as others have pointed out this team lost to Wagner.

It's obvious that Jackson, Facey and Adams have thrived in their roles. Brimah/Purvis are seniors who are like box of chocolates. Vital looks to be improving too.

I am feeling much better about next year than I was three weeks ago.

Reaction Score
Your right in your analysis on Ollie. This is what many have attacked him for regarding his constant substitutions in games and playing players out of position. When guys have defined roles they play better. Giving the point guard keys to Alterique was a huge mistake as we saw and was mostly responsible for our horrible losses to Wagner and Northeastern. If Jalen is back for next year, he better make it clear to Gilbert that he will play off the ball and the team should know clearly Adams is the point guard. Vance Jackson should also be starting next year as well on the perimeter as our small forward. Larrier should play the Daniels role and be a stretch 4 as it suits his game better.

Totally disagree on PG for next season, Gilbert is still more of a true PG. Once Adams is freed up from having to be both the main facilitator and scorer, his numbers will be through the roof.

Reaction Score
We get spanked at moody every year, just move on from that game.
The good teams we have played (SMU, Memphis and Houston) spanked us. I like seeing the improvements from Jalen and Vance and Vital playing great last night was nice to see but I don't think there can be many big takeaways from beating a team like USF.

Reaction Score

I've been saying it for years that KO has trouble with rotations, specifically that he substitutes too frequently. Doesn't give players long enough to find their individual grooves, let alone any team chemistry groove!

Reaction Score
The good teams we have played (SMU, Memphis and Houston) spanked us. I like seeing the improvements from Jalen and Vance and Vital playing great last night was nice to see but I don't think there can be many big takeaways from beating a team like USF.
You can't even mention the Houston game, and temple just beat Memphis but we never played temple I guess .

4in16

uses the force
Reaction Score
You can't even mention the Houston game, and temple just beat Memphis but we never played temple I guess .
Temple is a weird team this season, they beat two very good teams OOC ( WVU & FSU) but then started to struggle and have been horrible in league play thus far. The Memphis win could just be an anomaly at the moment, I guess we'll see. Point is I'm assuming he left off Temple because they've generally not been good this season outside a couple blips as indicated by their 11-10 (2-6) record. Albeit they haven't played the 3 bottom feeders outside of their win vs ECU.

Reaction Score
Temple is 11-10 and only remotely decent in conference win is over Memphis.

Reaction Score
Temple is 11-10 and only remotely decent in conference win is over Memphis.

We'll stipulate that UConn is not good this year so you don't have to remind us in every thread. Should people stop discussing the team?

Incidentally, criticizing Ollie for taking time to find a rotation feels particularly misplaced this year given the circumstances.

Reaction Score
I swear it's like people here don't remember Calhoun at all.

Not what I mean. Punishment substitutions are a different story. This is not what Ollie does that I'm referring to... rather it is (was) just the general systematic substitution pattern.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
Not what I mean. Punishment substitutions are a different story. This is not what Ollie does that I'm referring to... rather it is (was) just the general systematic substitution pattern.
I mean, I disagree with that too, but w/e. I think the point the OP brought up – that KO has struggled building teams that have instant chemistry – is correct. And I think that issue, as with nearly every other one we're facing, has everything to do with the subpar/patchwork recruiting classes he brought in from 2012-2015.

Another way of looking at it? The sanctions worked. They were designed to keep us off the road, which made it harder to 1) ID the talent we wanted, and 2) recruit down our list, rather than just landing our top target. That's how you aim for Abdul-Malik Abu but end up with Rakim Lubin, etc etc etc.

Reaction Score
Totally disagree on PG for next season, Gilbert is still more of a true PG. Once Adams is freed up from having to be both the main facilitator and scorer, his numbers will be through the roof.
Out of everything that has happened this season, what on earth makes you think we would be better served with Jalen not being the PG next year? Kid is 7th in the nation in assists, who/when was the last time we even had someone in the top 30, Marcus? And its not like he has any real huge/consistent scorers to pass to. If Jalen plays off the ball most of the time next year, we aren't playing to the full potential of the team.

Reaction Score
Temple is a weird team this season, they beat two very good teams OOC ( WVU & FSU) but then started to struggle and have been horrible in league play thus far. The Memphis win could just be an anomaly at the moment, I guess we'll see. Point is I'm assuming he left off Temple because they've generally not been good this season outside a couple blips as indicated by their 11-10 (2-6) record. Albeit they haven't played the 3 bottom feeders outside of their win vs ECU.

The truth of the matter is that AAC teams travel badly. UConn destroyed UCF, but UCF has played good games. Houston was obliterated by other teams, but then looked good. This league is full of Jekyll and Hydes.

By the way, I saw Georgetown thoroughly dominated a ranked Creighton team this week. It just seems that UConn can get up for certain games, but in the conference, it is a "slog" as someone recently wrote.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom