Kofi Cockburn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score

1544134897883.png

Pgh2Storrs

In Hurley We Trust
Reaction Score
The idea of going into Memphis, with all their hype, and countering with Kofi, a maturing Carlton, and Akok/Tyler Phommachanh spreading the floor makes me irrationally happy. This is the one we absolutely have to close.

Reaction Score
The dude made a cool $11 million in 4 years. Calhoun got the most out of him and them he got paid. Can’t complain about the guy.
Probably funny that Jake and Travis had better NBA careers than him. Well Jake definitely did.

Thabeet was a momster on D and when Jr. year came he was scoring Inside off post moves. I guess people were surprised he never improved and actually regressed in the NBA.

C

Chief00

Probably funny that Jake and Travis had better NBA careers than him. Well Jake definitely did.

Thabeet was a momster on D and when Jr. year came he was scoring Inside off post moves. I guess people were surprised he never improved and actually regressed in the NBA.
I think George had a special way coaching Thabeet. I remember the first time I met Thabeet at Gampel on his recruiting visit - I was in awe of how tall he was and how far his legs went out when he sat. Another Big center from Houston to go with Jake and Emeka.

Reaction Score
I think George had a special way coaching Thabeet. I remember the first time I met Thabeet at Gampel on his recruiting visit - I was in awe of how tall he was and how far his legs went out when he sat. Another Big center from Houston to go with Jake and Emeka.
I met this basketball player once who was 7 foot 7. At 6 foot 1 I think I reached his hips. Very quiet guy, it seemed, but just so freakin large...and thin...I think I had more meat on my legs than he did, they were sticks!

edit: Just realized it is my 2 year anniversary at the Yard!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
After we hit our first three the other night against Lafayette, the announcers commented how we’d made 3’s in some insane number of consecutive games, I think 319, since 2009. However, if memory serves, the last game we played without hitting a 3 was one of my favorite Husky regular season wins ever, when we went to Louisville and smacked them, 68-51. Thabeet and Adrien dominated that contest, not just on defense, but by playing the offense through the post, too. Thabeet was nothing but exemplary as a Husky.

Reaction Score
From '94 thru 2012 here were our starting 5s:

94-96: Knight (top 40 recruit, first round draft pick)
97-00: Voskhul (top 200 recruit, second round draft pick)
01: Wane (n/a, did not make the NBA)
02-04: Emeka (top 100 recruit, lottery pick)
05-06: Boone (top 60 recruit, first-round pick) & Hilton (top 200 recruit, lottery pick)
07-09: Hasheem (n/a, lottery pick)
10-11: Oriakhi (top 25 recruit, second-round pick)
12: Andre (top 2 recruit, lottery pick)

That's a two-decade span during which we always had – save for one year – either a five-star recruit or a future NBA player as our center.

We recruited the 5 pretty, pretty well!

I don't remember Souleymane Wane being a starter ever. Thought he was never more than a role player. Looks like he did start his senior year despite my total lack of memory of that.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Once UConn started winning with bigs, they did fine in recruiting bigs. Of the top of my head:

2003-12
Boone
Villanueva
Bynum
Adrien
Kelly
Oriakhi
Drummond
Daniels
Thabeet
Sticks
Edwards

Reaction Score
Not the
Thabeet stinks!
n college. I’d put his final year numbers up against any number one pick over the last 15 years. He just didn’t translate to the league and Blair was the only one to give him a headache.

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
Weird considering that they just got a commit from Antwan January, a big center who would never be able to play alongside Kofi. Wouldn't think Illinois has much of a chance here.
Actual quote from Cockburn back in the summer on why he will visit Illinois “Illinois checks up on me a lot and put in a lot of effort,”he said. “So I’m going to return the favor.” :D
Kofi Cockburn Planning Four Visits | Zagsblog

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Thabeet
Sticks
Edwards
I think they recruited Sticks as a SF.

Neither Edwards nor Thabeet were very highly rated, which is why I didn't list them. You're right, though that they were good for us.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score

Yes. He was excellent most of that year.

The Blair thing really did hurt his rep though.

And getting abused by mich st to end his career in what should’ve been an easy matchup for him isn’t how you wanna go out.

But yeah, especially considering he wasn’t a highly ranked recruit, a great final product. Fantastic player development

Reaction Score
That 09 team was so fun to watch. Old school big, athletic Big East team.
Maybe we'll be lucky enough to have something to that effect after a few years of Hurley.

Louisville was the #1 overall seed that year and UConn went down and dominated them on their home floor sometime in February without making a single three. Crazy how much the game has changed in 10 years.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Loved me some Thabeet
Can never forget a Syracuse game where Hasheem was down low on defense and a Cuse forward made a move to go up, saw Hasheem, then kicked it out. The ultimate onset of fear.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom