KO Signs #1 2024 Recruit | Page 2 | The Boneyard

KO Signs #1 2024 Recruit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This is the reality. NIL kills what they formerly had to offer, moderate amounts of cash. The fact remains that people root for the laundry. That laundry ups the profile of any kid who wears it. Whatever value this kid has, it goes up in a Duke, Kentucky, Michigan, Florida or UCLA...jersey.

The only hope I see of OTE is that there enough kids that are just really dumb. So dumb they can't even pretend to go to college and so dumb they don't know what NIL now means for them.

It’s not mutually exclusive. Kids can get NIL paid 2-3 years earlier, then go to college or directly to The League. If OTE’s understanding of NIL is correct, it actually helps them. They can NIL pay the kids during HS, without excluding them from going to college. If they go to college and get an NIL there, perhaps OTE would get a cut as soon as then?

Of the 19 kids they currently have, they are selling Montero as a lottery pick this year and a couple more that may eventually become first round picks. Cunningham is #1 in 2024.

As you know, I personally don’t like to see kids rushing to make a quick buck but rather built a strong foundation. Having said that, I don’t think we can dismiss OTE, since it’s new and we don’t fully understand all the angles. I am not cheering them on, but they should be on the radar screen for the reasons given.

As I said, with NIL it pays them to go to HS without taking any options off the table at age 18. It may be a short sighted decision by the families but many here prefer money sooner rather than later despite what’s best in the long run when you look at the merchandise and endorsement revenue streams over many years.

Reaction Score
Can you please provide a link to some of these published accounts?
Already provided a link in this thread. You can Google more. The landscape is changing and no one knows what all the impacts are. My view is that the NCAA responded reactively with NIL, it’s not well thought out and there’s going to be much smarter business people exploiting the gaps in all the change.

Reaction Score
Already provided a link in this thread. You can Google more. The landscape is changing and no one knows what all the impacts are. My view is that the NCAA responded reactively with NIL, it’s not well thought out and there’s going to be much smarter business people exploiting the gaps in all the change.
Well this is officially like playing handball against the drapes. You only linked to one article in this thread, and it does not mention OTE's revenue sources a single time. I have googled it in the past, and I just did some more searching to make sure I'm not crazy. I cannot find anything that even hints at the business model you are suggesting. So either you know something that is not being publicly reported, or you are just making things up. Since you are not claiming the former, it must be the latter.

(To everyone reading this with a smirk: Yes, I know Chief gets his jollies by eliciting responses like mine. I am only pushing back in this case because his claim sounds plausible, and I believed it at first. I feel that anyone who reads his claim should know that there is no evidence of it.)

Reaction Score
My understanding is that at least their (OTE) interpretation of current NCAA rules, is that he can somehow receive NIL dollars but earn no salary and then still have the decision at the end of HS of choosing between college or going pro. NIL, which given their investors (Bezos, Durrant, etc.), will be a lay-up. Of course, the kid has to pay them a % for his entire pro career, that’s how OTE hopes to make money.
Your correct. Also, I think many are speaking on this as a negative and not understanding the benefits of this.

Reaction Score
Well this is officially like playing handball against the drapes. You only linked to one article in this thread, and it does not mention OTE's revenue sources a single time. I have googled it in the past, and I just did some more searching to make sure I'm not crazy. I cannot find anything that even hints at the business model you are suggesting. So either you know something that is not being publicly reported, or you are just making things up. Since you are not claiming the former, it must be the latter.

(To everyone reading this with a smirk: Yes, I know Chief gets his jollies by eliciting responses like mine. I am only pushing back in this case because his claim sounds plausible, and I believed it at first. I feel that anyone who reads his claim should know that there is no evidence of it.)
The below was from the article you shared, is that easy enough for you? It’s also stated elsewhere - just Google. The concept is no tightly guarded secret.
B0E7A027-8270-4107-B4A4-31FE4D494F26.jpeg

Reaction Score
The below was from the article you shared, is that easy enough for you? It’s also stated elsewhere - just Google. The concept is no tightly guarded secret. View attachment 75967
This isn't saying they make any % cut on player merchandising, but implies OTE merchandise. Stuff with the logo. They have an entire shop for Overtime merchandise.

Honestly, the website is super slick.

Reaction Score
But you have to be able to read to understand any of this. Thanks Cheif00 for "making this up" :cool: :p
If you guys are reading the article I posted and coming away with the impression that OTE is taking a cut of players' future professional earnings, there is indeed a problem with reading comprehension, but the problem is not mine.

Reaction Score
If you guys are reading the article I posted and coming away with the impression that OTE is taking a cut of players' future professional earnings, there is indeed a problem with reading comprehension, but the problem is not mine.
Sometimes after you strike out, it’s best just to tip your cap to the pitcher and walk back to the dugout.

Reaction Score
Professional earnings include endorsements, merchandising, licensing and media deals. Perhaps you are thinking of professional earnings in an overly restrictive manner? The investors just want to make money.

Reaction Score
I guess those Glen Miller fan boys include Jim Calhoun. Silly
As you probably know, Jim coached Glen at Northeastern after he transferred from UConn. In some ways, Jim became a type of father figure to Glen.
Jim is always there for his former players. Unfortunately, Glen did not network sufficiently within the coaching profession. Just another part of the bad dynamic that made the KO/UConn thing worse than it needed to be. Because other jobs did not come to Glen after KO terminated him, Glen focused more on extracting revenage on KO, which actual hurt him further in finding a job. What head coach is going to hire someone, who may be viewed as a disloyal assistant?

Reaction Score
KO signs #1 2024 player. I know the Glen Miller Fanboys here don’t like KO but OTE/KO is changing the landscape that UConn and other top programs operate in.
It bears watching and understanding how we must adjust.
OTE is a total joke and I feel bad for any kid that commits to them. They dont play games. NIL destroyed any reason to go to them. Development academies should be attached to pro teams like in soccer. Development academy----> G League----> Pro team. Very Sad.

Reaction Score
Professional earnings include endorsements, merchandising, licensing and media deals. Perhaps you are thinking of professional earnings in an overly restrictive manner? The investors just want to make money.
Let me be clear about what I am not saying: I am not arguing that I know your claim to be incorrect. It may be the case that the league signs contracts with players that entitle the league to some kind of a cut of future earnings, however it might be structured.

Here is what I am saying, for the tenth time: I have seen no evidence of your claim. When I asked you for supporting evidence a second time, after the request was ignored the first time, you responded with a snippet from an article that I shared. The excerpt does not support your claim, although you seem to think it does.

So, at the beginning of this ridiculous exchange, I was simply wondering if you were basing your claim, that OTE takes a cut of athletes' future earnings, on published reports, or something else. Through no intention on your part, you answered my question. I see that your claim amounts to a conspiracy theory. I guess it's not a big deal, because I don't think anyone takes you seriously anyway, but it is a little unfair to present speculation or theories as if they are known facts. A reader who doesn't know better has no reason not to believe someone who matter-of-factly puts forth an opinion or assumption as if it were undisputed truth.

@superjohn is also frequently guilty of this, but, in his case, I think he just types like he would speak verbally, and something gets lost in translation. You, on the other hand, seem to be deliberately disingenuous.

Reaction Score
Let me be clear about what I am not saying: I am not arguing that I know your claim to be incorrect. It may be the case that the league signs contracts with players that entitle the league to some kind of a cut of future earnings, however it might be structured.

Here is what I am saying, for the tenth time: I have seen no evidence of your claim. When I asked you for supporting evidence a second time, after the request was ignored the first time, you responded with a snippet from an article that I shared. The excerpt does not support your claim, although you seem to think it does.

So, at the beginning of this ridiculous exchange, I was simply wondering if you were basing your claim, that OTE takes a cut of athletes' future earnings, on published reports, or something else. Through no intention on your part, you answered my question. I see that your claim amounts to a conspiracy theory. I guess it's not a big deal, because I don't think anyone takes you seriously anyway, but it is a little unfair to present speculation or theories as if they are known facts. A reader who doesn't know better has no reason not to believe someone who matter-of-factly puts forth an opinion or assumption as if it were undisputed truth.

@superjohn is also frequently guilty of this, but, in his case, I think he just types like he would speak verbally, and something gets lost in translation. You, on the other hand, seem to be deliberately disingenuous.
You are trying way too hard. Another strike out, tip of the cap and back to the dugout.

Reaction Score

This. Several posters have taken the stance that OTE takes a cut of future earnings since Ollie started with OTE. Not one has presented any evidence of it being true.

Reaction Score
OTE is a total joke and I feel bad for any kid that commits to them. They dont play games. NIL destroyed any reason to go to them. Development academies should be attached to pro teams like in soccer. Development academy----> G League----> Pro team. Very Sad.
"They don't play games" = false.

Reaction Score
This. Several posters have taken the stance that OTE takes a cut of future earnings since Ollie started with OTE. Not one has presented any evidence of it being true.
Merchandising, licensing, promotion, endorsements and media rights are all part of an athlete’s professional earnings. All have been mentioned in numerous articles. Is your goal to become a bigger clown than @Get a Job ? This is not that difficult a concept.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

No one can say they do, no one can say they do not.

It doesn’t really matter. The business model just fake it until you make it or run out of cash.

Read one of the interviews with the founders. Lots of breezy stuff with no specifics, like, Fox is paying us $ for our media rights.

They’re selling high school basketball as a product….good luck.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
This board is loaded with them. The only college job he could get after UConn was D3 courtesy of Jim. Tells you about his relationships with other coaches.

There’s literally no one here stumping for Glen Miller.

It’s a straw man your weird ass keeps dragging out.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
You (and others, but I think they got the impression from reading your posts) keep saying that, but I have not seen any corroborating statements in media. Do you have a link to any reporting that says OTE will get a cut of athletes' earnings when they go pro?

The article below mentions three revenue sources for the company, none of which involve taking a cut from players.

That’s a good point. I always imagined their business model essentially being analogous to JG Wentworth in their structured settlements. In the right circumstances they will front some money in order to gain money on the backend. But, you are right this is what they say about revenue:

Zack Weiner, Overtime co-founder and president, said the Overtime Elite business model is based on three revenue buckets: sponsorship, licensing and merchandising, and media rights.

So essentially, @Fishy is right, their strategy is, more or less, “Um, views.” I guess we will see how that pans out for them.

For what it’s worth, their business model is more of a threat to Calipari‘s one and done model than to other universities.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
If by the NCAA responding reactively you mean that the organization essentially curled into a fetal position and hoped for the best, I agree.

Reaction Score
That’s a good point. I always imagined their business model essentially being analogous to JG Wentworth in their structured settlements. In the right circumstances they will front some money in order to gain money on the backend. But, you are right this is what they say about revenue:

Zack Weiner, Overtime co-founder and president, said the Overtime Elite business model is based on three revenue buckets: sponsorship, licensing and merchandising, and media rights.

So essentially, @Fishy is right, their strategy is, more or less, “Um, views.” I guess we will see how that pans out for them.

For what it’s worth, their business model is more of a threat to Calipari‘s one and done model than to other universities.
I don't know how well they're monetizing said views, but they're getting the views. 15 million followers on TikTok. A couple billion views a month.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jamie Taco

Top Bottom