KO blast team. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

KO blast team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

patrick

Hurley4#6
Reaction Score
You think ko didn't coach them about transition defense at half time?
Your wrong he didn't win a national championship by accident!
Oh wait did you guys forget who he beat during the run..... dude didn't get lucky! !

Reaction Score
The team didn't even try today and that's on them.
Couldn't disagree more. Coach recruits them, trains them, has authority to bench/punish, and can sub in at will. If the kids are sloppy TO machines, or not getting back on D - bench them. I don't care if bench guys play.

I'd rather lose by 30 and have all 5 guys giving it 100% than lose by 5 with Purvis and DHam getting passed on the way back on D by the dribbler.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I'm curious as to how many here remember the 2009-2010 season, the talent we had and how we performed that year, especially down the stretch. The lack of focus, understanding of what need to be done in crucial situations and overall will to win is not unique to KO teams. It happened under JC in 1993, again in 2001 and a third time in 2010.

I don't get how a fifth year senior needs to be told to foul an opponent when we are down two scores with ~40 seconds left in the game and nearly 30 seconds left on the shot clock. Someone who believes this is all on the coach please explain to me how that is KO's fault.

The reality we need to face is that we don't have someone who will lead this team the way KEA did, the way Kemba did, the way Napier did. We don't have someone who can carry this team the way Caron did. DHam may be the most versatile player we've had since Caron but he doesn't seem to be able to identify critical points in the game and too often does something very foolish when that is the last thing that we can afford. Both Purvis and Gibbs can do some nice things but neither is the tyope of guard that we've built our better teams around. Adams will be a stud here but at the moment he is still a freshman who doesn't have the maturity KEA had as a freshman nor does he have the luxury of a mentor that Kemba (Price) or Shabazz (Kemba) had.

Yes there have been shortcomings in the coaching but I want to hear names of who we should bring in. Regardless of who brought the talent to the teams they coached during that tournament, KO coached circles around Izzo and Donovan (when the experts claimed, prior to our eliminating them that each was clearly the best team in the tournament. I imagine it can be argued that Self is the best coach in men's college hoops today. How would this fan base react to all of the post season failures he has under his belt? How about Calipari's dearth of titles with the talent he had at his fingertips over the years? If we had that here, with similar results, how many epic meltdowns would this board have seen?

Reaction Score
I see both ways. Today, looked like UConn had issues with Houston's team speed, which should have been no surprise. That shows poor prep-work, which is on KO and staff. But, UConn has played solid transition defense during the season and did not today. That's on the team.

Ollie is a good guy; but, I would also like to see him (calmly) in the ref's ear a lot more than he has been. This teams seems to turn on Miller being on or off the court. He has to be protected from at least some of these fouls. Plus, Purvis was hacked badly on that 3 with about 20 seconds left. The announcers called it and yet Ollie just sat on the bench frustrated. He needed to be all over the refs on that.

Last edited:

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I agree greatly on the foul issue and have seen too many games this year (including today) where it seems our opponent gets very favorable treatment.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I didn't watch the game, so I have a few questions.

Did KO use any TO's during the 8-0 run at the end of the first half?

When Houston started the second half on a run, did KO use a TO?

All season long we've seen UConn be susceptible to scoring droughts and letting teams go on runs. During almost all of these runs, the staff failed to notice it and failed to use any TO's to stem the tide.

Not comparing KO directly to JC, but I've seen many successful coaches call a TO after one possession of the second half and lay in to a team for not doing what was preached at halftime.

We've all seen coaches pull a player after 1-2 plays in a game because they didn't have the intensity necessary. How about bringing a player off the bench only to yank him after one play?

Several posters, myself included, feel KO still coaches at an NBA level more than a college level. In the pros a coach has to let players figure stuff out on the court when things go haywire. College requires the coach to be fully engaged with the players and the refs for 40 minutes every game.

Reaction Score
More like he threw the team under the bus. "You can go to the Temple game. I can't dribble, I can't pass. My assistants can't do that." This is a very bad sign. He needs to take accountability as well for "preparing" his players. This feels like it's spiraling now.....

Whether KO is preparing them the right way or not, he should be the bigger man and take the full heat. After the fact, take ACTION instead of using your words to berate your players to the media. Words are wind, bench players quicker when they aren't performing.

Personally I'm sick of all the Hamilton defenders, I say bring him off the bench at this point. I would love to see Jalen, Purvis, Calhoun, Shonn, Amidah. That in my opinion is our best defensive starting lineup mixed with some good experience. Gibbs & Hamilton can come off the bench for all I care. If our rebounding starts to look like its suffering then stick in Hamilton.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
"You can't play like that," Ollie said. "You shouldn't put on the UConn jersey if you're going to play like that. … There's pressure all the time, but when you have pressure like this, this is a great privilege, to play in front of a crowd like this and have a chance to cement yourself in the NCAA Tournament. … and you just let it slip through your fingers. That's very, very hard to swallow as a coaching staff, you try to prepare your team to play the right way, and we didn't play the right way at all. It's unacceptable."

Wow.

Reaction Score
Some things ok, some not so. Not sure where I am with this. Between a bus and a hard place I believe. Have to think this over knowing they do deserve most of the blame but not so sure about all?

Reaction Score
I see both ways. Today, looked like UConn had issues with Houston's team speed, which should have been no surprise. That shows poor prep-work, which is on KO and staff. But, UConn has played solid transition defense during the season and did not today. That's on the team.
Houston is not that much faster a team, if at all (Purivs and Adams are very quick, and who won the Husky Run the last two years? DHam and Brimah). Players choosing to jog back and get blown by is not on the coaches. I highly doubt that the team is poorly conditioned.

Reaction Score
Coach K.O. Is following a legend of the sport and the architech of this program in Coach Calhoun... The hardest thing any rookie coach could sign up for.. And all ready kept this program afloat with winning a championship and now a great recruiting class coming in..... And despite the ncaa garbage sactions and shady conference realignment we still in it.. Stop bashing Ollie ..... This year squad is leaderless on the court.

Reaction Score
Anyone ever question where we'd be if Brimah doesn't get that and 1 against St Joe's? Our record without Napier is sheer mediocrity.

Just makes you wonder. That's all.

I think this really comes down to the fact that we all know if UConn doesn't go to the tournament every year and doesn't stay as an elite team and doesn't find its way back into a P5 conference we could be doomed to years and years of mediocrity.

I know that was why I was so excited and had to go to the Final Four two seasons ago. Cause, really, it could be a LONG LONG time till we get back there. :(

Reaction Score
Eh - it's really a failure of expectations.

This is a transfer-laden team. The corner stone pieces aren't ready to be leaders and take the bull by the horns yet. The other important pieces are coming from programs with different styles, etc. You've got some guys who've been here, but really haven't been crucial to the team's success. That's an awfully complicated puzzle to put together.

There's no set PG. There's no GENUINE presence down low. We're a complex, flawed team that if things had come together - we could be dangerous. Heck - we've slapped great teams around for stretches. We've also been a train wreck. I said it last week and I stick by it. I feel like if we're in the tournament we could beat anyone. I also feel like we could careen right out of tournament contention. Neither would surprise me in the least. It's just what we are.

Next year I feel better, I'd like to see this team be a solid-good team, stay in the top 25 most of the year and make the tournament and flirt with the Sweet 16. The year after that though... look out.

Reaction Score
If you've ever been to a UConn game with JC as HC, then you know he tore into his players routinely. Viciously. It was who he was. And you know what? His style combined with his coaching ACUMEN got the most out of his players (nearly all of the time).

Kevin Ollie has a lot of work to do to even arrive to a decent level of head coach.
HALLELUJAH HALLELUJAH. Some one else said what I was thinking so I didn't have to take the storm of ridicule that always follows an honest truthful accurate observation about KO's coaching or lack thereof. Does Uconn really have all the time in the world to get this stuff fixed. There is more at stake than a couple of lousy seasons IMHO.

Reaction Score
Here's a tip - if your idea of rallying to Ollie's defense each and every time is referencing Jim Calhoun, you should stop.

Calhoun had already built a successful program before he even set foot at UConn - it's a really bad comparison.

Find another touchstone.

THANKS FOR SAYING IT. Respectfully, Jim Calhoun is not coaching anymore, nor will he ever. Get over it and move on.

Reaction Score
Eh - it's really a failure of expectations.

This is a transfer-laden team. The corner stone pieces aren't ready to be leaders and take the bull by the horns yet. The other important pieces are coming from programs with different styles, etc. You've got some guys who've been here, but really haven't been crucial to the team's success. That's an awfully complicated puzzle to put together.

There's no set PG. There's no GENUINE presence down low. We're a complex, flawed team that if things had come together - we could be dangerous. Heck - we've slapped great teams around for stretches. We've also been a train wreck. I said it last week and I stick by it. I feel like if we're in the tournament we could beat anyone. I also feel like we could careen right out of tournament contention. Neither would surprise me in the least. It's just what we are.

Next year I feel better, I'd like to see this team be a solid-good team, stay in the top 25 most of the year and make the tournament and flirt with the Sweet 16. The year after that though... look out.
Totally agree. I haven't been able to understand all season why the expectations were so high. This is a very inexperienced and not particularly talented team. The seniors are Phil Nolan and Omar Calhoun, nuff said. The transfers did not come from Kentucky or Duke, they came from Seton Hall and Cornell. Although Brimah is a junior he has not played very much and it shows. Purvis is in his second year with Uconn. Hamilton is very talented but he is still only a sophomore. Remember the transition of Kemba from sophomore to his junior year. The rest are still very young basketball wise.

Personally, I am delighted that Ollie is our coach (and Calhoun probably is too). He doesn't scream and cuss like Calhoun did but he did lead the team to a national championship just two years ago. I am sure that recruiting was effected by Calhoun retiring but now we seem to be back on track. Let try to be a little patient.

Reaction Score
Totally agree. I haven't been able to understand all season why the expectations were so high. This is a very inexperienced and not particularly talented team. The seniors are Phil Nolan and Omar Calhoun, nuff said. The transfers did not come from Kentucky or Duke, they came from Seton Hall and Cornell. Although Brimah is a junior he has not played very much and it shows. Purvis is in his second year with Uconn. Hamilton is very talented but he is still only a sophomore. Remember the transition of Kemba from sophomore to his junior year. The rest are still very young basketball wise.

Personally, I am delighted that Ollie is our coach (and Calhoun probably is too). He doesn't scream and cuss like Calhoun did but he did lead the team to a national championship just two years ago. I am sure that recruiting was effected by Calhoun retiring but now we seem to be back on track. Let try to be a little patient.
It just so happens that are most talented player is from Cornell. Don't let the name of the school fool you in the talent level of the player. I mean would we better with a problem child from Duke or a little used North Carolina player. I don't think so. The problem is we didn't have a point guard with this team until JA started developing as one. KO overestimated the impact that SG would have running the point for our team this year and it has caused him lots of headaches this year. That is why DHAM is asked to handle the ball so much on offense at times.

Reaction Score
Expectations were way to high. Those who played last year didn't prove the could win big games. Some would play hard when the game or season was out of reach. I guess no pressure.

Our transfers were brought in to play big minutes. Not optimal.

All the Adams is all world AAU lovers, overhyped what happens when you play D1 ball. He will be good. But big step up in size, talent, coaching and maturity.

This team is leaderless and the signs where there last year when they wouldn't follow Boat.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Certainly feels like you're spiraling. You already started a whole different thread expressing these same thoughts.
That was before the article came out, nimrod. All the article did was confirm my point....he has lost the team, and now he's blaming them without taking ANY accountability. That's not what a good coach does.

Reaction Score
That was before the article came out, nimrod. All the article did was confirm my point....he has lost the team, and now he's blaming them without taking ANY accountability. That's not what a good coach does.
lol

Reaction Score
KO hasn't lost the team. That is plain BS. Effort was the problem Sunday he was pissed. Good for him. They could have been perfectly coached with a great game plan, not saying this was the case, but you can't coach effort! Sunday was on the players.

Reaction Score
KO hasn't lost the team. That is plain BS. Effort was the problem Sunday he was pissed. Good for him. They could have been perfectly coached with a great game plan, not saying this was the case, but you can't coach effort! Sunday was on the players.
If you haven't in-bred into your players that in game 29 they better come out w energy, then you have failed as a coach. That is just simply unacceptable. Players shouldn't get a free pass and I'm not advocating for that. But the coach is responsible for EVERYTHING....that is why players never get fired, only coaches.

Reaction Score
Watch the last 6 minutes of yesterday's game. Some players were gassed, and could not get back on defense. They were not fresh down the stretch. We only trust 6 players with most of the minutes, so we have little depth and it shows up in the end of games. Everyone else is calling it lack of effort, not trying, but I disagree. These kids want to win badly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DyNASTY#3

Top Bottom