KO blast team. | The Boneyard

KO blast team.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn...uston-0229-20160228-story.html#nt=oft02a-1la1

He is right. This team had no heart or leadership today. UCONN is third in the nation in Defensive FG % and 9th in PPG allowed. 37+% and 61.7 ppg. Today we just couldn't get back on defense. So many transition points. Houston shot 60% in the second half and 42 points, 74 for the game. Way above what we been giving up. At home with so much at stake, this team just did not respond. This is on the players. Could KO have sub more in the second half? Yes and he should have. He did not have a vg game coaching. But the players need to make plays. If you miss a wide open shot, so be it. Make it up on the defensive end. We scored 68 points which is what we average in conference play. We were just OK but it should have been enough to win.

Like everyone else. Very disappointed!

Reaction Score
http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn...uston-0229-20160228-story.html#nt=oft02a-1la1

He is right. This team had no heart or leadership today. UCONN is third in the nation in Defensive FG % and 9th in PPG allowed. 37+% and 61.7 ppg. Today we just couldn't get back on defense. So many transition points. Houston shot 60% in the second half and 42 points, 74 for the game. Way above what we been giving up. At home with so much at stake, this team just did not respond. This is on the players. Could KO have sub more in the second half? Yes and he should have. He did not have a vg game coaching. But the players need to make plays. If you miss a wide open shot, so be it. Make it up on the defensive end. We scored 68 points which is what we average in conference play. We were just OK but it should have been enough to win.

Like everyone else. Very disappointed!
More like he threw the team under the bus. "You can go to the Temple game. I can't dribble, I can't pass. My assistants can't do that." This is a very bad sign. He needs to take accountability as well for "preparing" his players. This feels like it's spiraling now.....

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Maybe this combination of players just isn't that good this year? Doesn't mean you stop trying but we need better personnel not just better coaching.

Reaction Score
More like he threw the team under the bus. "You can go to the Temple game. I can't dribble, I can't pass. My assistants can't do that." This is a very bad sign. He needs to take accountability as well for "preparing" his players. This feels like it's spiraling now.....
Certainly feels like you're spiraling. You already started a whole different thread expressing these same thoughts.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
But before JC was a top 5 coach it was not alright, correct?

It's not as black and white as you and others are trying to make it out to be.

KO is as every bit responsible for us underachieving the past two seasons as anyone on the court. That's why I disagree with it.

Calhoun single handedly built the program and is an all time coaching legend that affords him being able to say something like that.

Reaction Score

KO is as every bit responsible for us underachieving the past two seasons as anyone on the court. That's why I disagree with it.

Calhoun single handedly built the program and is an all time coaching legend that affords him being able to say something like that.
Right, but only in retrospect. If JC said this in 89? 94? 98? 01? 03? Would we have, at that time, been okay with it? Would we have excused it? Or can we only excuse such words (imaginary words, to be fair, although Calhoun has done far worse things to players in public) with the benefit of hindsight?

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score

But I'm asking because, knowing that old bastard, he almost certainly said things like that before building this program. And at that point, based on your logic, it would not have been okay right?

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
@tykurez @tzznandrew

Again guys, I just disagreed with the quote. Not killing KO, but I didn't like it.

Not about to go through the archives of the Courant to give answer on if that quote from a 1992 Calhoun would have bothered me.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Here's a tip - if your idea of rallying to Ollie's defense each and every time is referencing Jim Calhoun, you should stop.

Calhoun had already built a successful program before he even set foot at UConn - it's a really bad comparison.

Find another touchstone.

Reaction Score
I've been critical of Ollie's coaching this season but he's absolutely right here. The team didn't even try today and that's on them. He's pissed like we're all pissed, you always expect effort especially in a home game to stamp your ticket.

Reaction Score
But I'm asking because, knowing that old bastard, he almost certainly said things like that before building this program. And at that point, based on your logic, it would not have been okay right?

If you've ever been to a UConn game with JC as HC, then you know he tore into his players routinely. Viciously. It was who he was. And you know what? His style combined with his coaching ACUMEN got the most out of his players (nearly all of the time).

Kevin Ollie has a lot of work to do to even arrive to a decent level of head coach.

Reaction Score
Not a good look for KO, who is just as responsible for this mess as anyone.
At this point, earlier actually I have to agree. Not here to BASH KO as I like him, I really do. Having said that he has to reach out to his days under JC or to JC personally. Not saying he has to drop F-bombs loud enough to be heard in the upper deck or stomp his foot hard enough to shake the screen but do something DURING the game! KO has said so himself that it is on him and then goes on to blame the team post game. :confused::confused:
Bring out big Jim's quick hook on occasion, it not only lets a player know you are pizzed with their performance but wakes up the rest of the team. Heck there were times JC would take a player out so quick I thought he only put him in to take him out. He would burn a time out a minute into the half if he did not like what he saw.
KO says players are afraid of getting in front of an opponent, then put someone in that might not be, don't wait until the post game presser to address the situation. It should only take a few minutes on the bench for them to wake up. This was a winnable game in our house with a great crowd, I can't put it on the kids alone. The highly paid adults have to perform also.

Reaction Score
come on. ollie can and should call out the team. hes made a lot of mistakes this year but today there was nothing he really could have done to change the outcome(maybe other than benching gibbs i guess), all good coaches do this, someone needs to kick them in the a ss. we gave up probably 8-12 points just because we were lazy and ronnie johnson motored down the court in 2 seconds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DyNASTY#3

Top Bottom