KO Addresses NBA Rumors: He's Staying | Page 2 | The Boneyard

KO Addresses NBA Rumors: He's Staying

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Yes, he's making good money comparatively speaking. But these NBA rumors aren't going to stop and that surely isn't helping recruiting. When you couple AAC affiliation with the uncertainty of whether our coach is coming or going, those are two awfully huge hurdles to clear when we're sitting in a kid's living room.

Reaction Score
This is good for his brand , as well as uconn . We are quick to trash zags , but who knows ...what if this was a PR move after a non tourney year? a quick reminder to recruits he is a sought after entity in the nba. Then again zags could just be stirring up per usual

Reaction Score
I think Ollie will stay at UConn for the long haul. I'd be surprised if he leaves anytime within the next 15 years.

Reaction Score
I think this is just something Uconn has to get through. He is hot and OKC specifically wants him. These reports are going to come up all the time, and look for it big time after next season if OKC doesnt win a chip and KD is considering going elsewhere. I think ultimately the longer KO is at Uconn and the more success he has at Uconn, the less likely he will be to leave. He can create a real legacy at Uconn and he is yong he can be our head coach for many many many years to come and have a long respected career as an elite college coach. Imagine if he is still at Uconn 20 years from now... with several more championships under his belt. He can become a legend. Thats hard to pass up and thats most likely why guys like Coach K and Calarpi along with many other college coaches, havent given up their jobs to go to the NBA.

Reaction Score
I think Ollie will stay at UConn for the long haul. I'd be surprised if he leaves anytime within the next 15 years.
And it's always going to be there for him way down the road. He wants too leave a significant mark at UCONN and 1 tourney, 1final four and 1 title is not enough for him.

Reaction Score
Great news!

However, at some point (hopefully after we can secure a P5 payday), we will have to address this once and for all and pay this man real P5 money. These constant NBA rumors are hurting recruiting. You know full well that other coaches recruiting against UConn are using all of these Minnesota/OKC/Lakers rumors as means to plant seeds of doubt into our recruit prospects. You know it's an issue when one-and-dones are choosing bleh programs like Maryland over us...there's not even enough security to tell a kid that our coach will be here for his one and only FR season. Our conference affiliation also hurts, but other mid-majors are able to recruit and they don't have nearly the prestige that we have.

More importantly, KO probably has a couple on the hook and not only needed to tell them personally but also publicly make a statement. I wouldn't be surprised if we hear about another top recruit signing on with the program.

SteelCT

Student of the Game
Reaction Score
Thats hard to pass up and thats most likely why guys like Coach K and Calarpi along with many other college coaches, havent given up their jobs to go to the NBA.
Coach K- yes. I don't like him but I have a lot of respect for him. On the opposite end of that spectrum, Cal tried the NBA and failed miserably...miserably. Didn't realize he majored in marketing though...probably part of the reason he's a good recruiter.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
More importantly, KO probably has a couple on the hook and not only needed to tell them personally but also publicly make a statement. I wouldn't be surprised if we hear about another top recruit signing on with the program.

I agree - I hope this statement and OKC's eventual coaching hire will end the 2015-16 speculation so that we can get back to the recruiting trails.

Reaction Score
Don't assume anyone is going to stay in any situation or any job for 15+ years. Sometimes it works out but it almost never happens.

Reaction Score
Bottom line, last year it made no sense for him to squash the rumors coming off a title and a likely new contract. This year, coming off a down year it makes all the sense in the world for him to come out and kill this rumor dead.

He's not renegotiating his contract.

These rumors do have an impact on recruiting.

He's not going anywhere for a long time folks.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Yes, he's making good money comparatively speaking. But these NBA rumors aren't going to stop and that surely isn't helping recruiting. When you couple AAC affiliation with the uncertainty of whether our coach is coming or going, those are two awfully huge hurdles to clear when we're sitting in a kid's living room.
You could pay him Calipari type money, UConn could move to the ACC or other P5, but as long as he wins more championships or even final 4s there will always be nba rumors. Recruiting will always have negative rumors, those will not stop just cause the coach is making more salary.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
This is good for his brand , as well as uconn . We are quick to trash zags , but who knows ...what if this was a PR move after a non tourney year? a quick reminder to recruits he is a sought after entity in the nba.

Wow, this has to be the dumbest post of the day.

KO doesn't need more good PR. And even if he did, the threat of him leaving UConn would hurt recruiting more than the PR would help.

Reaction Score
Wow, this has to be the dumbest post of the day.

KO doesn't need more good PR. And even if he did, the threat of him leaving UConn would hurt recruiting more than the PR would help.
so him garnering nba interest is a bad thing for his brand?

Reaction Score
Wow.....

The real stupid part was unfounded and baseless speculation that KO is coordinating this as his own publicity stunt. That'd be some Cal-level and honestly it's borderline offensive that you assert KO would do something like that; that he's that concerned with his "brand"

Reaction Score
I agree - I hope this statement and OKC's eventual coaching hire will end the 2015-16 speculation so that we can get back to the recruiting trails.

Heart and Head speak differently. KO's heart loves UCONN but he also has an affinity with the NBA. Life is always about choices. Business, Family, Career, Geography, etc. KO's agent also knows how to play these situations for the best of his client.

Funny how both Calipari and Pitino both went to the NBA and now are back in college. Calipari is making 7 Million per and you still here rumors about him going back to the NBA. Crazy stuff. You pay me 7 Million per year and I will sign a life time contract!

For now, it appears that KO is not going anywhere. I also believe he could received a sweet NBA deal. You never know what is going on with his personal family situation either.

In the event that he did go, it would be interesting to see if Jim Calhoun would come back to coach the team.

Reaction Score
Wow.....

The real stupid part was unfounded and baseless speculation that KO is coordinating this as his own publicity stunt. That'd be some Cal-level and honestly it's borderline offensive that you assert KO would do something like that; that he's that concerned with his "brand"
don't get your panties in a bunch. read the rest of my post, I clearly noted it was zags most likely stirring up, i didn't 'assert' anything. KO is a successful 42 year old head coach ex nba player ofcourse he is concerned with his brand.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score

You said that KO getting NBA interest was good for KO and UConn. That's wrong. Very wrong. For KO it's obviously a good thing. But it's bad for UConn. As I said in my previous post, any recruiting 'rep' KO gains by being associated with NBA jobs/players is immediately cancelled out by the threat of him leaving the school.

Even still, KO is not the type of person to would do something like this as a PR stunt to garner popularity amongst recruits. He released the statement to make sure that any recruits understand he's committed to UConn. He didn't want the OKC media speculation to put a damper on his recruiting efforts. To assume otherwise is dumb.

Reaction Score

The source said Ollie is “torn because he loves Connecticut, it’s his alma mater, he believes in his ability and he thinks that UConn can be a top program.”

I love sports writers. 1 year aware for our 4th national championship since 1999, and UConn 'can' be a top program. UConn is a top program. Period.

Reaction Score
Don't assume anyone is going to stay in any situation or any job for 15+ years. Sometimes it works out but it almost never happens.
Love that avatar...."Hey! I am here for the picnic,,,Where the hell is the basket"!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom