KO Addresses NBA Rumors: He's Staying | The Boneyard

KO Addresses NBA Rumors: He's Staying

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I doubt that KO is leaving this season; but, didn't Edsall basically say the same thing right before he jumped on a jet for Maryland?

Reaction Score
Great News! Now lets get one more ball handler and make some noise in the NCAA Tourney! Go UCONN!!!

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
Glad he finally publicly addressed it. So happy to have KO.

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
I personally feel that while Coach Calhoun is involved with program, it will be tough for KO to depart UConn - especially in the next several years.

Reaction Score
B-b-but Chief said...oh nevermind.

That's one recent prediction down. Now for his prediction of 2 people transferring... or was that contingent on KO leaving?

Reaction Score
Zagoria going all in. Pretty convenient that Ollie unexpectedly releases a statement today, but a source was able to explain all of this to Zags last night for this piece today:

Still, a source close to the situation told SNY.tv Tuesday night that Oklahoma City “believes in Ollie” and “he’s their No. 1 target.”

“There is no formal offer on the table, but he’s first in line,” the source said. “Oklahoma City is fully committed to trying to get him to commit.”

Though Ollie has a $5 million buyout, the source said the buyout is “nothing” if the Thunder are committed to landing him.

The source said Ollie is “torn because he loves Connecticut, it’s his alma mater, he believes in his ability and he thinks that UConn can be a top program.”

Silk31

Foot Stays on Gas
Reaction Score
That's how you snuff out those rumors and now it's time to spin that NBA interest into recruiting wins.

"If I'm good enough to be considered to coach Westbrook and Durant, I'm good enough to get you to the next level"

Reaction Score
Why is Zag after this so relentlessly? His desire to break a story that's not there is really starting to piss me off. Hope he lets this die now that KO has spoken.

Reaction Score
That's how you snuff out those rumors and now it's time to spin that NBA interest into recruiting wins.

"If I'm good enough to be considered to coach Westbrook and Durant, I'm good enough to get you to the next level"

If I'm a top recruit, I don't want to hear a coach tell me HE is good enough to get me to the next level. I want to hear a coach tell me I am good enough to get to the next level, and he has the experience and knowledge to help me 1) improve my draft stock, 2) help me grow into a player that will make an impact within my first contract, and 3) teach me the tools on and off the court that will help me extend my career.

Reaction Score
He lost my following on twitter after that scramble for loose end quotes just now.

No need to hear any more about his love of Malik Newman potentially going to UK anyways

Silk31

Foot Stays on Gas
Reaction Score
If I'm a top recruit, I don't want to hear a coach tell me HE is good enough to get me to the next level. I want to hear a coach tell me I am good enough to get to the next level, and he has the experience and knowledge to help me 1) improve my draft stock, 2) help me grow into a player that will make an impact within my first contract, and 3) teach me the tools on and off the court that will help me extend my career.
Don't nitpick here...the key takeaway is that the NBA coaching rumors were once used as a negative recruiting tactic and now KO can spin it to use to his advantage as he sees fit

Reaction Score

Seriously! How are we not higher up on people's list? (other than climate and conference)

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Great news!

However, at some point (hopefully after we can secure a P5 payday), we will have to address this once and for all and pay this man real P5 money. These constant NBA rumors are hurting recruiting. You know full well that other coaches recruiting against UConn are using all of these Minnesota/OKC/Lakers rumors as means to plant seeds of doubt into our recruit prospects. You know it's an issue when one-and-dones are choosing bleh programs like Maryland over us...there's not even enough security to tell a kid that our coach will be here for his one and only FR season. Our conference affiliation also hurts, but other mid-majors are able to recruit and they don't have nearly the prestige that we have.

Reaction Score
Great news!

However, at some point (hopefully after we can secure a P5 payday), we will have to address this once and for all and pay this man real P5 money. These constant NBA rumors are hurting recruiting. You know full well that other coaches recruiting against UConn are using all of these Minnesota/OKC/Lakers rumors as means to plant seeds of doubt into our recruit prospects. You know it's an issue when one-and-dones are choosing bleh programs like Maryland over us...there's not even enough security to tell a kid that our coach will be here for his one and only FR season. Our conference affiliation also hurts, but other mid-majors are able to recruit and they don't have nearly the prestige that we have.

It's not Duke or UK, but Ollie makes more than the vast majority of P5 head coaches.

Reaction Score
Great news!

He has a pretty good deal right now that rivals other P5 coaches. Based on this list, KO would have been one of top 10 highest paid coaches in the NCAA tourney this past year.

Reaction Score
He is making "P5 money", I hope you aren't using the salaries of dudes like Calipari and K as the norm.

Great news!

Reaction Score
Isn't he making something absurd like $3 million a year? Gotta think that's in the top 15ish for college basketball coaches. Sure, he's not making $7 mil like Calipari, but no one is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom