KO Addresses NBA Rumors: He's Staying | Page 3 | The Boneyard

KO Addresses NBA Rumors: He's Staying

Status
Not open for further replies.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
There are only two options: Ollie is lying, or the "source" fueling the Yahoo rumors is.

I'm going with the latter. If it turns out that KO was parsing, I will be wrong...and very disappointed. But I won't regret trusting the man until he gives me a reason not to.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
There are only two options: Ollie is lying, or the "source" fueling the Yahoo rumors is.

I'm going with the latter. If it turns out that KO was parsing, I will be wrong...and very disappointed. But I won't regret trusting the man until he gives me a reason not to.
He would not have issued any statement if the Yahoo rumors were accurate. Not his style. Not part of his belief system.

Reaction Score
If he goes he goes. We may as well get used to the idea, even if he doesn't end up taking the OKC job. NBA teams will always come calling for him.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
He would not have issued any statement if the Yahoo rumors were accurate. Not his style. Not part of his belief system.
That is my feeling also.

Life is full of surprises and you never really know someone else, but I would be very, very surprised if he acted that way.

Edsall, on the other hand, did not surprise me in the least.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
That is my feeling also.

Life is full of surprises and you never really know someone else, but I would be very, very surprised if he acted that way.

Edsall, on the other hand, did not surprise me in the least.

The only explanation is that he wanted to publicly back Brooks. It's not like OKC wasn't going to make a decision as to Brooks based on what KO said.

Reaction Score
Somehow I think he will be posting this statement every 2 years or so. The NBA is persistent and deaf.
If he wins another title or two i think he should go. Hes young enough to be here for the next 10 years and then go to the league and have a long career there. Thats why i dont see him leaving any time soon.

Reaction Score
If he wins another title or two i think he should go. Hes young enough to be here for the next 10 years and then go to the league and have a long career there. Thats why i dont see him leaving any time soon.

Exactly what I'm saying, he can literally wait ten years and still be young as a coach. Unless he does some awful things and gets caught, or we suck for 10 years, he can take this chance whenever he wants.

I really cant see him leaving and spurning the state of CT. He wants his name to be thought of next to Calhoun, like right below him in all of our minds. He leaves now and he's the opposite of Calhoun

C

Chief00

I never said Ollie would "pursue opportunities" what may happen is opportunities may pursue him - his statement did not address that. I think he would consider the right one. People read with emotion and get out of it what they want too. The nuances get lost but that's par for the course on the BY - unfortunately with some posters.
On the other hand - if someone were to hire Ollie - would they wait to 6/1? When,according to one post, the exit fee is $1m less. I do think there are certain headwinds that will make the decision more challenging this year.
Does this mean I want him to leave - of course not - just telling you, quite frankly, what I think based on certain things.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
I never said Ollie would "pursue opportunities" what may happen is opportunities may pursue him - his statement did not address that. I think he would consider the right one. People read with emotion and get out of it what they want too. The nuances get lost but that's par for the course on the BY - unfortunately with some posters.
On the other hand - if someone were to hire Ollie - would they wait to 6/1? When,according to one post, the exit fee is $1m less. I do think there safe certain headwinds that will make the decision more challenging this year.

But what are your sources telling you?

Reaction Score
Zags is really pressed, this is just gonna be the latest fiasco where he winds up with egg on his face at the end of it.

Reaction Score
Zags is really pressed, this is just gonna be the latest fiasco where he winds up with egg on his face at the end of it.
it sucks that okaloma beatwriters like slater and mayberry consider zags sourced up. retweeting him and giving him a lot of traffic

Reaction Score
I love KO, but if he does infact pursue this job and even take it after making those comments this morning, that would be extremely disloyal. I don't want to make distressed comments but i'm not sure i could fully support him as a coach if he made that decision.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
If I'm correct and these rumors are baseless sooner or later KO will contact OKC and ask them to make a statement he is off the table. Now OKC could be keeping his name in the fire to help negotiate a contract with someone else, but I doubt they would do that if KO made the request.

So I don't think this thing plays out much longer.

Reaction Score
I love KO, but if he does infact pursue this job and even take it after making those comments this morning, that would be extremely disloyal. I don't want to make distressed comments but i'm not sure i could fully support him as a coach if he made that decision.
In all fairness, we'd probably all seriously consider this too if we were in KO's shoes. He can make probably three times as much, coach two of the top 10-20 players in the world and not have to beat his head against a wall trying to recruit out of the AAC. Maybe with his marriage ending he'd want fresh scenery anyway. Praying it doesn't happen but if he ever were to jump, this would be the perfect opportunity.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
In all fairness, we'd probably all seriously consider this too if we were in KO's shoes. He can make probably three times as much, coach two of the top 10-20 players in the world and not have to beat his head against a wall trying to recruit out of the AAC. Maybe with his marriage ending he'd want fresh scenery anyway. Praying it doesn't happen but if he ever were to jump, this would be the perfect opportunity.

If he was actually considering it, even if it took a bunch of money, then why would he release the statement he did this morning? Why say anything at all if you think there's a chance you might go?

Reaction Score

The prob for KO is he may not get the opportunity (and there may not be another like this for YEARS and years). I find it hard to believe Calhoun wouldn't support his decision. Any father figure simply wants what's best for his kids (as fans we want KO happy also). As another poster mentioned. IF he does get the offer with a buy out and around 5M per and decides to actually turn that down than we have KO locked up. His camp can spin it several ways though depending on the outcome. That was the beauty of the morning statement. I think KO is being represented very well. The words chosen would not technically make him a liar.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Then there's no excuse to release the statement insinuating (if not outright declaring) that you're staying. Don't give me this "Brooks wasn't fired yet" nonsense either. He released the statement in response to rumors that he was being considered for that exact job. He knew what was going on. Releasing that statement either means that he's not leaving, or he's a con man. There is no in-between here.

Reaction Score
The prob for KO is he may not get the opportunity (and there may not be another like this for YEARS and years). I find it hard to believe Calhoun wouldn't support his decision. Any father figure simply wants what's best for his kids (as fans we want KO happy also). As another poster mentioned. IF he does get the offer with a buy out and around 5M per and decides to actually turn that down than we have KO locked up. His camp can spin it several ways though depending on the outcome. That was the beauty of the morning statement. I think KO is being represented very well. The words chosen would not technically make him a liar.

Technically, no. But KO won't be judged on a technicality. Public opinion will view him a liar. It's been said many times already but why in the world would he issue that statement at that time if he felt he was leaving?

Another gripe I have is this concept of an opportunity in a lifetime. Huh? These so called opportunities seem to happen annually in the nba. KO currently has his opportunity of the lifetime. The nba will always be there for him.

Reaction Score
Then there's no excuse to release the statement insinuating (if not outright declaring) that you're staying. Don't give me this "Brooks wasn't fired yet" nonsense either. He released the statement in response to rumors that he was being considered for that exact job. He knew what was going on. Releasing that statement either means that he's not leaving, or he's a con man. There is no in-between here.

Exactly. The statement was either a great move (in theory) by getting the NBA off his back, placating us fans, etc. or it was a massive example of idiocy. He would be seen as a liar to his adopted hometown, and ostracized by the community who welcomed him with open arms twice. There was no middle ground in the scenario, once he threw that out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom