KML talks to Rebecca about her body type/perceptions | The Boneyard

KML talks to Rebecca about her body type/perceptions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
The conversation is billed as being between "Rebecca Lobo and guard Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis."

Reaction Score
Wow looks like they just called out a bunch of ignorant posters on this site who totally trashed KML after the Stanford loss and were talking about her body. Good for you two!
More likely Mike DiMauro

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
In my view, Kaleena -- by her effective combination of words (the linked interrview) and deeds (performance vs. Charleston) -- did more to silence her critics (over a hundred posts, inspired by Mike) than JS's locking of that stupid thread. She personifies class.

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
KML has the right attitude and thankfully, realizes that what people not on the team think about her build does not matter. Only her results do. And as we all know now, she was getting sick the day of the Stanford game. We often judge when perhaps we should wait for more data (see last night's game, for example...).

Reaction Score
Wow looks like they just called out a bunch of ignorant posters on this site who totally trashed KML after the Stanford loss and were talking about her body. Good for you two!

So I questioned KML's footspeed and therefore I am ignorant? Since Geno said she has lost a step so I guess I'm in good company. BTW, Nan suggested we offer differing opinions without personal attacks. The BY should set the example for all blogs with respect to honest discourse without calling dissenters names. Let's set the example!

Reaction Score
The most disappointing aspect of the KML thread was the personal attacks directed toward other posters, instead of addressing the topic. Every player has physical traits that are advantageous and detrimental. We could spend our time lamenting that MoJeff isn't much taller, but how beneficial would that be?

It's not productive to criticize a player's shortcomings. Time is better spent determining how to minimize the limitations and enhance the strong points. Kaleena's body type is a big advantage in rebounding and establishing her presence under the basket. I'll bet her excellent shooting accuracy has a lot to do with the stable platform her body provides. Plus, her mobility compared with other women with her build type is tops. Sonia Sotomayor wouldn't stand a chance against Kaleena.

I'm sure the K thread had us all focusing on her during the C of Charleston game. I'll bet many of the naysayers have changed their opinions after that game. Yes, I'm a Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis fan.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
yes. let's. My opinion is that more people offered up more opinions on that thread without knowing all the facts and disregarding any past performances of our All American player that were just over the top and unfair.

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
Right you are, Rady! When KML passes Maya and DT for the 3-point record at UConn (she has 297, DT has 318), perhaps folks will opine that her well-muscled form contributed to her accomplishment, rather than the opposite.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Since when do we need to wait a proscribed period of time to present an opinion? As long as posts are civil and don't break any rules, they're welcome here. And I'd like to add that the Boneyard is a place to discuss facts and opinions alike - we don't need to wait for proof or undeniable facts.

Reaction Score
Since when do we need to wait a proscribed period of time to present an opinion? As long as posts are civil and don't break any rules, they're welcome here. And I'd like to add that the Boneyard is a place to discuss facts and opinions alike - we don't need to wait for proof or undeniable facts.

What about posting opinions and claiming them to be facts?

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
It is so easy to set up a straw man through exaggeration and hyperbole and then sanctimoniously deride it. A practice beneath the Boneyard's usual standards.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
What about posting opinions and claiming them to be facts?
Then call the poster on it. Just be civil in your discourse.

I do not want any person or group of people controlling the conversation by intimidating or shaming others into silence.

Reaction Score
Then call the poster on it. Just be civil in your discourse.

I do not want any person or group of people controlling the conversation by intimidating or shaming others into silence.

:oops: OK I'll try counting to ten, and take a deep breath before I post a reply.:)

Reaction Score
I think what happened was attacks on the attacker.I was one of them and I still believe that (personal attacks ) i.e too heaqvy, needs to lose weight should be monitored. She lost a step even though it was based on one game and a comment by Geno is in my opinion
not a personal attack. But in Nan we trust.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
KML the guard - why not. She plays similar to Ann Strother who was billed as a guard. Lots of time on the perimeter, seldom posting up and only driving to the basket occasionally. If a label has to be attached I would say wing not forward.

Reaction Score
I think what happened was attacks on the attacker.I was one of them and I still believe that (personal attacks ) i.e too heaqvy, needs to lose weight should be monitored. She lost a step even though it was based on one game and a comment by Geno is in my opinion
not a personal attack. But in Nan we trust.

Saying KML looks heavy is NOT a personal attack, it is an opinion. Just like someone saying Gabby looks muscular or extremely athletic. Both are opinions but one you don't like so you characterize it as a personal attack. Let KML show everyone through her performance that she is outstanding and then praise her.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
KML's body type is the same this year as it has been every year that she has been at UConn. Some people are of the opinion that it appears that there is more of it this year and that it has affected her performance. Barring any objective evidence we'll just have to wait and see.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Whenever I read a 'provocative' post my first reaction is to consider the source. In my view there is an earned credibility that comes with long-time posters who traditionally have made insightful comments (good and/or bad) about players and game strategy. I'm talking about posters like OldeCoach (RIP), UconnCat, Icebear, Phil, Alex, VT, Eric, and yes, even Doggydaddy, etc. (I'm sure I've left a ton of people out but you hopefully get my point.)

Reading a critical post by a newbie just raises my defenses because I don't have enough experience with the person to understand what their agenda is (if any). I have no problem with someone posting an opinion supported by facts but when they seem to be just shooting from the hip my hackles go up.

I don't subscribe to the approach that everyone posting here loves UConn wbb and, therefore, they mean well. Let's face it.... Some people are just sh#t stirrers.

Just my .02.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I'm a fan of Kaleena and have been for 6 years or so.

She played very well late last season, including the 6 NCAA tourney games. Her best play over an extended stretch was her sophomore year. I saw all 6 of the tourney games and thought she looked like Maya from a distance. She was very fit then, and her fitness may have helped her excel. She looks bigger this year than she did in her sophomore year. Is she less effective? I don't know. Let's see how she does when healthy against the elite teams. One thing I do know is that I want Kaleena on my team. She plays hard, she plays smart, and she certainly makes shots.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom