KML opinion piece | Page 7 | The Boneyard

KML opinion piece

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
As someone said earlier, this argument right here, about whether a female athlete's weight should be off-limits for discussion, is emblematic of why women's sports doesn't get the respect that all of us here want it to get.
I've been thinking this for a while. Not just about the weight thing, but in general. Perhaps it has to do with the demographics of the fans.

Reaction Score
I've been thinking this for a while. Not just about the weight thing, but in general. Perhaps it has to do with the demographics of the fans.

As a super senior fan, you aqre spot on. The womens game, basics , team play is the way we oldtimers were coached , played and coached. go to any games and you won't find too many heads that aren't grey.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
Does the general sports fan- post? Are they reallyinfleunced of taking a sport seriously by reading posts on the internet? So the protective mother/father syndrome influences many fans away from woemn's sports? I can tell you I have a lot of friends that are sports fans and they don't post that I know of. Nor do I believe they will be infleunced of being a fan because others are protective. I believe the majority of fans don't really care about if KML is struggling/is overweight/can't get off her shot. IMO - bottomline sports fans like the sport - this stuff of us posting and being protective just upsets pockets within a larger base and imo is a very minor issue.

I think what holds back women's sports is one main thing they can't overcome-- overall athleticism. There is no "Phi Slamma Jamma" in women's basketball. IMO that's what the general sports fan wants to see (freak athetlicsm/power/speed/phsicaility) . In baseball it's the home run. In football it's the speed and power. Of course other things here but imo it is so minimal to think womens sports is being held back in any signficant manner because there happens to be pockets of over-protectiveness.
It's all relative- women's basketball is better than men's basketball!

Reaction Score
Other teams should have such a problem!!

No other team has this "problem" you are correct. No other team can have the 2011-12 National HS player of the year on their team, now [ ] not half as quick or athletic as then! You are spot on zorro!

Last edited by a moderator:

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
No other team has this "problem" you are correct. No other team can have the 2011-12 National HS player of the year on their team, now [ ] not half as quick or athletic as then! You are spot on zorro!

Life is too short to waste any of it arguing with trolls.

Reaction Score

HuskyNan, I'm not sure what these citations are in aid of; a cursory glance of 2 cites Ronaldo (2006) and a FB player on steroids(?). The people commenting are talking heads- paid to say whatever comes to mind. Of course it is also about professional athletes being paid a lot of money. I am not willing to go down this road with a college athlete, especially based on visual cues. I don't know if KML is overweight, if her weight is affecting her performance, etc. Until she and the team come forth with that remarking I will view these commentaries as hardly about truths. Lastly, whether we like it or not the female body does not stand in a one-to-one relation with the male body. You are asking me to erase A and insert B instead and, it doesn't work. The tape runs off the reel. I have no way of knowing but a prejudicial guess tells me that the majority of th

Reaction Score
Life is too short to waste any of it arguing with trolls.

No argument here zorro, just stating facts. If that's an argument to you then I guess you disagree? Your perrogative right! Have fun

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
“Tolerance only for those who agree with you is no tolerance at all.”
― Ray Davis

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
HuskyNan, I'm not sure what these citations are in aid of; a cursory glance of 2 cites Ronaldo (2006) and a FB player on steroids(?). The people commenting are talking heads- paid to say whatever comes to mind. Of course it is also about professional athletes being paid a lot of money. I am not willing to go down this road with a college athlete, especially based on visual cues. I don't know if KML is overweight, if her weight is affecting her performance, etc. Until she and the team come forth with that remarking I will view these commentaries as hardly about truths. Lastly, whether we like it or not the female body does not stand in a one-to-one relation with the male body. You are asking me to erase A and insert B instead and, it doesn't work. The tape runs off the reel. I have no way of knowing but a prejudicial guess tells me that the majority of th
I've linked fan forums, except for the Ronaldo article, but even there it was the fan comments at the bottom that were striking. And I was commenting on the post that said that men's weights weren't discussed, now the target has moved - again.

Fans are fans. They can talk any aspect of the game to death. If someone's only experience is with the Boneyard, this thread looks out of place but the discussions of player's physiques and how weight/muscle affects their games is not unusual.

Reaction Score
No argument here zorro, just stating facts. If that's an argument to you then I guess you disagree? Your perrogative right! Have fun

Facts ? "not half as quick" is a fact ? What measurements did you use to come to the conclusion that her quickness is now less than half of what it was ? The only facts I saw in your post were that KML was "2011-12 National HS player of the year"
and that you don't know how to spell perrogative (sic).

Reaction Score
I think it's fair to question why KML's offensive game has not progressed - and, in some cases, has regressed - since her sophomore season. (Yes, I know she wasn't healthy much last year, but that's not the whole story.)

She's never been a slasher, but she used to be able to free herself up consistently for mid-ranged jumpers. That part of her game has abandoned her of late, and it's especially apparent against good teams, when she just parks herself behind the 3-point line.

Reaction Score
I think it's fair to question why KML's offensive game has not progressed - and, in some cases, has regressed - since her sophomore season. (Yes, I know she wasn't healthy much last year, but that's not the whole story.)

She's never been a slasher, but she used to be able to free herself up consistently for mid-ranged jumpers. That part of her game has abandoned her of late, and it's especially apparent against good teams, when she just parks herself behind the 3-point line.

I think you may be jumping to conclusions. During the tournament last year she she not only freed herself for mid range shots, but also drove to the basket and crashed the boards. Also remember how she ran through the middle of the ND defense and got a layup. So you must be talking about the two games she played this year, In the 1st game there was no need to run around because she was always open for the 3, and made 10 of 13. It makes good sense to take what they give you, make them stop you first. Against Stanford, only two players showed much movement for whatever reason. KLM's part in that game could have been according to the game plan or she was just feeling listless. Geno wasn't too concerned about it or he would have pulled her for Tuck, so my guess is it was game plan.

Reaction Score
Facts ? "not half as quick" is a fact ? What measurements did you use to come to the conclusion that her quickness is now less than half of what it was ? The only facts I saw in your post were that KML was "2011-12 National HS player of the year"
and that you don't know how to spell perrogative (sic).

Wow you're a good speller - congrats. But you're also not very smart if you watched people breeze by her in the Stanford game. Unless of course you didn't watch it because you were at a spelling bee? :eek:

Reaction Score
Wow you're a good speller - congrats. But you're also not very smart if you watched people breeze by her in the Stanford game. Unless of course you didn't watch it because you were at a spelling bee? :eek:

Funny how when someone actually gives you facts all you can do is point to one freakin game over and over.Read what Palpa's comments again and maybe you'll see you're not too smart yourself. They blew by all of our players that One game, get over it.

Reaction Score
I think you may be jumping to conclusions. During the tournament last year she she not only freed herself for mid range shots, but also drove to the basket and crashed the boards. Also remember how she ran through the middle of the ND defense and got a layup. So you must be talking about the two games she played this year, In the 1st game there was no need to run around because she was always open for the 3, and made 10 of 13. It makes good sense to take what they give you, make them stop you first. Against Stanford, only two players showed much movement for whatever reason. KLM's part in that game could have been according to the game plan or she was just feeling listless. Geno wasn't too concerned about it or he would have pulled her for Tuck, so my guess is it was game plan.

No one has been commenting about KML being slow last year. Resorting to last year's excellent NCAA performance by KML makes me think you agree she has disappointed you this year (so far). After all, it is her senior season where we would hope she would be better than ever and a leader for the rest of the team.

Reaction Score
Thank You, I make an effort to spell correctly.
You brought up the subject of "facts" only you didn't provide any. Yes, I did watch the Stanford game. Yes, I did see KML and most of the rest of the team get beat by the player they were guarding. So now that we agree on that, I'll repeat my question, what measurements did you use to come to the conclusion that her quickness is now less than half of what it was ? The fact is, you didn't. You fabricated " not half as quick" and then tried to pass it off as fact. A troll maneuver if I ever saw one.

Reaction Score
No one has been commenting about KML being slow last year. Resorting to last year's excellent NCAA performance by KML makes me think you agree she has disappointed you this year (so far). After all, it is her senior season where we would hope she would be better than ever and a leader for the rest of the team.

That's right you are wrong again. What I said was in one game she was better than last year. In her second game I don't know why she played offense the way she did but I think it was the game plan to have her on the side outside the arc, she demands attention from the defense thus opening the other side of the floor for the guards. Stanford had 2 on Stewie and one on KML. That left our other 3 playing against 2 defenders. For the biggest part of the game our 3 didn't do much except miss a lot of shots. As far as people blowing past KML, in case you didn't notice they were blowing past the rest of the team as well. So I think overall KML is off to a great start.

Reaction Score

I think you're making this up unless you are counting her 1st two games this year and attempting to draw a conclusion after two games but ignore her jr year - which imo would be just silly because I didn't think she parked on the 3pt line last year in NCAA's as you imply. Cetainly, her fg% has regressed from her soph ot her jr year sure - but you seem to imply why that happened --as does I think nearly everyone else knows why.

In comparsion of her Jr year vs. soph year - her offensive rebound numbers improved from her soph year on an average per minute basis. Her assist numbers improved on an average per minute basis. Her average per minute turnover numbers have decreased from her soph year to her jr year. In conclsuion her offensive rebounding numbers average per minute was up, her assists average per minute were up and her turnovers average per minute basis were down. Further I believe many will agree with this- last year she low posted more than what she did in her prior two years and thus had imo an improvement to mix it up and help the team --which last year she came up big inside I believe. SO we would have had a trade off of mid-range "regression which you suggest vs low post play- wouldn't we?

I just think some of us are skeptical of those "sportwriters/fellow hoop junkie analysts" of some of the "stuff" that gets written/posted in a negative light of a 47-1 team. I get the ones who want to crticize a little get frustrated, and in some cases rightfully so. But the sketpic in me thinks many of the "critics" "reach" in order to make a mountain out of a molehill.

Reaction Score
I mean...UConn has played three games. In the first, KML tied a UConn record for most 3s made in a game. In the second she played lousy. In the third she didn't play because she has the flu. I know this is a discussion board and believe me, I love discussing all things UConn, I just think this topic needs to die.
Amen! See #16.

Reaction Score
so with the game also goes the fans. It is an interesting exercise to look through the more inflammatory threads especially after this loss and take a look to see who is commenting and in what vein, and then look as see what they were saying after the first two exhibition games.

Then save the data, and look again after each win. I bet it would be an interesting data set for comparison

We're not here to grade people's opinions. If we started doing that it could get really really ugly around here. Let's just stick with the "like" button or ignore.

Reaction Score
With all respect, I do not see her as a true forward. If you want to say she is a 2/3 then I agree. You may view tuck as a 3/4, maybe a stretch 4.
No, I don't believe she has ever shown the ball handling skills we need of a guard. Also she has made dozens of rebounds/lay-ups over the last year or more, many of which were at critical points in games. She's a pure 3 IMO.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Sonny44 said:
We're not here to grade people's opinions. If we started doing that it could get really really ugly around here. Let's just stick with the "like" button or ignore.

how charming! I said nothing about grading, so you can table your obvious instructions.

I'll say it again..in many to most cases, the tone and content of individual fan's posts changes depending on the success or lack thereof (as in a loss). I posted a musing...an opinion if you will, about an exercise comparing posts over time...

no grading
not even publishing

just an observation

because, I read this thread and see the posts about the bad coaching, weight issues and so on for a team we supposedly admire who had the audacity to lose by two points in overtime on the road in the third game of the year. And let's not forget the digs at the fans who defend their team, who offer a voice more reasonable and likely realistic view about the outcome, who tend to look at risk over a longer term if you will, and don't jump to harsh conclusions because the market dipped one day.

Hence my comment for comparison, for my guess is that should UConn get that third in a row, the shareholders on this forum who are crying now will be stepping over themselves to post about the great team, about KML's high draft likelihood, and how we have the best coach in all of basketball.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom