KK Brings More Than Basketball | Page 3 | The Boneyard

KK Brings More Than Basketball

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
During this off week we are all doing a bit of next year dreaming and I bet all of us not having any injuries in mind. My problem is I have come up with the "perfect" rotation groups but when I was done I counted them and discovered I had 6 not 5! I see the center: JA, AD, and Ice. Power forwards: AE, AP. Wing: CD, AG, QS. Shooting Guard: , AS. PG: PB, KK. Bring Ball up court (for lack of other name): Nika, Ines. I guess that the 6 guards will have to be put into 2 groups unless using a 3 guard (usual) and 2 post groups. At that point it would seem to be Nike, Ines at Point with , AS at SG1 and PB,KK at SG2. Power Forward of AE, AP, ICE. JA and Wing of AG, CD, AD, QS. What a great problem to have!
what a fun problem to have.............let's hope that injuries don't make Geno's decisions easier for a change!!........:(

JBK

Reaction Score
I agree that Caroline and Aubrey are not good choices to play PG, but they don't have to, even if the player they are coming in for is Nika. In my scenario Nika and Paige are never on the bench at the same time, and whenever Nika sits Paige is the PG. Caroline or Aubrey could come in for any of the three small starters and usually play at the 3, Paige might start as the 3 but when Nika comes out moves to the point, and if Azzi sits for Caroline or Aubrey, Paige becomes the 2.

Nika plays pretty exclusively as a 1, Azzi as a 2, Paige at all three positions, and Caroline and Aubrey mostly at the 3, but occasionally at the 2. Those 5 players could handle the 120 minutes at those three positions in a rotation of 5. Geno could obviously go beyond that, but I see the potential minutes from KK and Ashlyn coming mostly at the expense of Caroline and Aubrey which is a pretty high bar for a newcomer to clear.

If you get Paige and Azzi down to 30 minutes or so that would open up more opportunities, and I would love to see Geno go 10-11 deep and press frequently because players like KK and Ashlyn have earned some rotation minutes, I'm just not thinking that is very likely. I would love to be surprised though.
Yes. I really hope Carolyn can heal and rest in the off season. If she is not 100 percent next season, she will lose minutes to Ashlyn

JBK

Reaction Score
I agree that Caroline and Aubrey are not good choices to play PG, but they don't have to, even if the player they are coming in for is Nika. In my scenario Nika and Paige are never on the bench at the same time, and whenever Nika sits Paige is the PG. Caroline or Aubrey could come in for any of the three small starters and usually play at the 3, Paige might start as the 3 but when Nika comes out moves to the point, and if Azzi sits for Caroline or Aubrey, Paige becomes the 2.

Nika plays pretty exclusively as a 1, Azzi as a 2, Paige at all three positions, and Caroline and Aubrey mostly at the 3, but occasionally at the 2. Those 5 players could handle the 120 minutes at those three positions in a rotation of 5. Geno could obviously go beyond that, but I see the potential minutes from KK and Ashlyn coming mostly at the expense of Caroline and Aubrey which is a pretty high bar for a newcomer to clear.

If you get Paige and Azzi down to 30 minutes or so that would open up more opportunities, and I would love to see Geno go 10-11 deep and press frequently because players like KK and Ashlyn have earned some rotation minutes, I'm just not thinking that is very likely. I would love to be surprised though.
Yes. I really hope Carolyn can heal and rest in the off season. If she is not 100 percent next season, she will lose minutes to Ashl
During this off week we are all doing a bit of next year dreaming and I bet all of us not having any injuries in mind. My problem is I have come up with the "perfect" rotation groups but when I was done I counted them and discovered I had 6 not 5! I see the center: JA, AD, and Ice. Power forwards: AE, AP. Wing: CD, AG, QS. Shooting Guard: , AS. PG: PB, KK. Bring Ball up court (for lack of other name): Nika, Ines. I guess that the 6 guards will have to be put into 2 groups unless using a 3 guard (usual) and 2 post groups. At that point it would seem to be Nike, Ines at Point with , AS at SG1 and PB,KK at SG2. Power Forward of AE, AP, ICE. JA and Wing of AG, CD, AD, QS. What a great problem to have!
i know we are all rooting for Inês and she seems like a wonderful young lady - but KK is a point guard and PB needs to play some point with Nika - she will not get much time if KK press is close to being accurate

Reaction Score
Paige Azzi Nika Caroline Aaliyah — they’ve waited a long time for this group to be reunited.

But they’re a generous group. They’ll make room for KK, and the others — Ashlynn Inês Jana Ayanna Q Ice Amari and Aubrey

Just listing the names out like this has me shaking. So much possibility here.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Someone needs to put together a defensive highlight video. Then we’ll have a better idea of playing time freshman year

Reaction Score
I have never seen a "highlight" video of an athlete that doesn't make the athlete look great.
The jump from HS to D1 college athletics is huge (in all sports) and we never can judge until we see them at the next level. The schedule that Uconn plays makes the jump even more formidable.
Having said that, KK seems to have a great handle moving left and right, finishes with her left, and a quick release on her "jumper". She also seems to have more size and can finish after getting bumped.
If she can duplicate. all that we saw on the tape, that for us. Simple, she plays.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Yea, you're gonna need some work on that.

1. Bring Ball up court (for lack of other name) - that other name would be Point Guard
2. In all those initials, I don't see an (you know Azzi Fudd), I think she could have a significant impact on rotations???

I know we always say 1 2 3 4 5, but in reality next year we could be 1, 2, 2, 3, 4 or 1, 1, 2, 3, 4. Or other numerous combinations. This year we really don't play a true 5 (C). We have a stretch 4 (Juhasz) and a power forward (Edwards).

Reaction Score
Yea, you're gonna need some work on that.

1. Bring Ball up court (for lack of other name) - that other name would be Point Guard
2. In all those initials, I don't see an (you know Azzi Fudd), I think she could have a significant impact on rotations???

I know we always say 1 2 3 4 5, but in reality next year we could be 1, 2, 2, 3, 4 or 1, 1, 2, 3, 4. Or other numerous combinations. This year we really don't play a true 5 (C). We have a stretch 4 (Juhasz) and a power forward (Edwards).
Yeah somehow during an edit disappeared! She is the missing one before the comma in shooting guard. I already had a Point Guard item so couldn't use it again! I used initials to keep it short - except for ICE because there already was an IB :) I think we all or most agree that starters will be NM, PB, , AG, and AE. I expect the 2nd team to be KK, AS. CD, ICE, and either AP or JA. Both groups using a point guard, 2 shooting guards and 2 posts. Everyone else rotates into likely the second group.

JBK

Reaction Score
With the load of guard Geno shall have--that is a great problem to have. Caroliine CAN play PG, should she, probably not when she is better close to the basket and hitting 3's. Aubrey is a different story, because she is a different type of player. She is the only, current, basket attacking and post defending player on the team. Her skills are well suited for the PRO's. I keep thinking UTILITY when I think Griffin. Who, how, when players get minutes hasn't really been an issue for nearly 30 years (or ever how long it has been since SEVETA). That's one problem that won't keep Geno nor Christine awake nights.
Aubrey can play the 4 as well -
With KK - Paige - Nika - Azzi - why would mention or need Caroline as a PG ? Plus I do not see her having the speed and passing ability that is needed
I pray Caroline heals In the off season and is 100 percent and ready to contribute next year

Reaction Score
I definitely agree with some of what you said but there are too many caveats in play here. Is Paige going to be fully recovered? Will Azzi continue to be susceptible to the injury bug. Also, forger the assist record, Nika is not a point guard. She is great at defense, brings a tough mindset to the game and is a great teammate but she is just about an average ball handler and that is not what you want in a point guard. And you can pretty much forget about Inez. She will be the player who runs up and down the line slapping hands when a three is made. Finally, unless we are playing a team with no player taller than six feet you are always going to have a wing and center on the floor.
Oh boy!

Reaction Score
Oh boy!
?? "An average ball player"?? Nika?? You and I are not seeing the same person play. Finishing open players with a high degree of making their shots is an essential skill. Nika is an excellent player. A defensive minded Pont guard who distributes is as much valuable as one who can score 30 a game.

JBK

Reaction Score
Paige Azzi Nika Caroline Aaliyah — they’ve waited a long time for this group to be reunited.

But they’re a generous group. They’ll make room for KK, and the others — Ashlynn Inês Jana Ayanna Q Ice Amari and Aubrey

Just listing the names out like this has me shaking. So much possibility here.
Do you have Caroline starting over Aubrey ? I know it does not matter and they can all get time - but we need to also dominate on the boards.
I am rooting for Caroline to have a big NCAA tourney and hope her body allows that.

Reaction Score
Do you have Caroline starting over Aubrey ? I know it does not matter and they can all get time - but we need to also dominate on the boards.
I am rooting for Caroline to have a big NCAA tourney and hope her body allows that.
Yes, for next year. That’s why Paige is also in that list, since it’s about how KK might fit in when she gets here.

Aubrey started for most of this year, it’s true. But I suspect if Caroline had been healthy from the beginning of the year, Geno would have started her in every game even ahead of Lou. Injuries shook things up quite a bit and Lou emerged as an indispensable player so that now it looks like the starting lineup for this year’s tournament will be Nika Azzi Lou Aaliyah Dorka with Aubrey and Caroline first off the bench. I expect we’ll see a little more of Ayanna and Inês too, at least in the first few rounds.

It’s really gratifying how we’ve gone from a threadbare rotation to an embarrassment of riches again. Next year, this ought to be our problem once again with the deepest backcourt in D1. The frontcourt will be deep too, by the time of next year’s tournament, as it gains experience. KK Ashlynn Q and Jana will find spots in the best lineup anywhere. I expect it will be exhilarating for them.

And a side note on Inês: by the time she’s a junior, she’ll have found a regular spot in the rotation with KK Ashlynn Allie and Azzi. She may not start at UConn , though she’d probably start in many teams in D. She’ll be a seasoned veteran and other teams will be scratching their heads over how Geno pulled another star seemingly out of nowhere. And by the time she’s a senior, once Azzi and Caroline have graduated, she may platoon at the 1 with KK, while Ashlynn and Allie platoon at the 2. That’s what I think the future looks like for Inês.

Reaction Score
So much speculation going on here about playing time for players who haven't arrived yet. No matter how good the incoming players are, you have to consider who returns and the coach's preferred philosophy.

First, if Paige is 100% healthy, she plays. If next year is her last as a collegiate, I can guarantee that she will want to play every available minute she can with her bestie.

If Aubrey returns, she will be part of an 8-player rotation of Paige, , AE, Caroline, Nika, Ice and Jana. The biggest hole for next year will be replacing the size and rebounding of Dorka. As the women's game is changing, size is essential when playing the elite programs. Shooting and ball handling should not be a concern next season, given everyone remains healthy.

Unless UConn is in a blowout, starters and key subs play. I don't imagine Geno dramatically altering his coaching style. Lest we forget, AE, Nika, Paige & Azzi don't like to come out of games. The 3 seniors will have some pull.

The incoming freshmen will get their turn, especially if they are good. I feel that it will be at a minimum, particularly in close games. Too many stars in front.

However, before we turn attention to next season, there's plenty ahead to keep us occupied.

Reaction Score
In terms of who plays at the guard position next yearC, come on, do you think that if Paige and Azzi are healthy that anyone else on the roster is going to start ahead of them? Caroline will see some time as a reserve wing but Nikki will be the first one off the bench at guard. And with the transition of the game Geno is going to have to start to go bigger. That means Williams, Aubry, and one other big will be on the floor unless we are playing a team that starts three guards. The teams we had the most trouble with the past few years have been the ones who are getting bigger. It's a new day in women's basketball and we are going to have to adjust to it.

Reaction Score
In terms of who plays at the guard position next yearC, come on, do you think that if Paige and Azzi are healthy that anyone else on the roster is going to start ahead of them? Caroline will see some time as a reserve wing but Nikki will be the first one off the bench at guard. And with the transition of the game Geno is going to have to start to go bigger. That means Williams, Aubry, and one other big will be on the floor unless we are playing a team that starts three guards. The teams we had the most trouble with the past few years have been the ones who are getting bigger. It's a new day in women's basketball and we are going to have to adjust to it.
Nika, Paige and Azzi will all start next year.

Reaction Score
Nika, Paige and Azzi will all start next year.
That's my guess, too. The only question is who plays next to Aaliyah. It could be Ayanna, or Ice, or Jana, or Amari. Will we see Caroline and Aubrey doing time at the 3 and the 4? Probably, as well as Q. KK Ashlynn and Inês will find minutes at the 1 and 2, but only behind the big 3 we've all been waiting for.

Reaction Score
That's my guess, too. The only question is who plays next to Aaliyah. It could be Ayanna, or Ice, or Jana, or Amari. Will we see Caroline and Aubrey doing time at the 3 and the 4? Probably, as well as Q. KK Ashlynn and Inês will find minutes at the 1 and 2, but only behind the big 3 we've all been waiting for.
We could also bring in a transfer for center as we have an extra scholarship available for insurance. I think Amari is the most ideal center in the country for us that I’ve seen with her height plus shooting and passing ability. She just needs to put enough pieces together in the off season to play well enough to stay on the floor.lots of options though for the frontcourt do it might be center my committee next year.

Reaction Score
I am in the camp that thinks neither Caroline nor Aubrey starts next year. I think everyone expects Paige, Azzi and Aaliyah to be in the starting lineup. That means two things to me, First if Caroline or Aubrey start, it will have to be at the 3 position, Aaliyah is a given at the 4, and although some prefer it, I don't see or like the idea of moving Aaliyah from her best position to the 5. We don't have proven players there but two high level prospects.

If you accept that, then the main debate for the third small is between Nika, Caroline, and Aubrey even though their skillsets are completely different. If you start Nika, and I thinks it's hard to sit someone who is a two time defensive player of the year in the Big East, plus second in the nation in assists, then Caroline and Aubrey will begin games on the bench and Paige probably plays the 3.

If you start Caroline or Aubrey at the 3, then Nika sits and Paige starts at the point. Paige can be very good at 1-3 and she rebounds well for a guard so I think she would be fine at the 3, and is long enough to defend the position effectively as well.

Reaction Score
I am in the camp that thinks neither Caroline nor Aubrey starts next year. I think everyone expects Paige, Azzi and Aaliyah to be in the starting lineup. That means two things to me, First if Caroline or Aubrey start, it will have to be at the 3 position, Aaliyah is a given at the 4, and although some prefer it, I don't see or like the idea of moving Aaliyah from her best position to the 5. We don't have proven players there but two high level prospects.

If you accept that, then the main debate for the third small is between Nika, Caroline, and Aubrey even though their skillsets are completely different. If you start Nika, and I thinks it's hard to sit someone who is a two time defensive player of the year in the Big East, plus second in the nation in assists, then Caroline and Aubrey will begin games on the bench and Paige probably plays the 3.

If you start Caroline or Aubrey at the 3, then Nika sits and Paige starts at the point. Paige can be very good at 1-3 and she rebounds well for a guard so I think she would be fine at the 3, and is long enough to defend the position effectively as well.
Excellent analysis. In the end we can play the best small-ball in D1 or really great big-ball. Our big lineup is not as experienced, but a pair of lights out perimeter shooters will help clear the lane for them. I suspect we’ll start the small lineup unless an opponent has a pair of excellent bigs.

Just picture this big lineup: Paige and Azzi with Aaliyah Ayanna Caroline. That’s some firepower and some muscle. Insert Aubrey Jana Amari and Q as needed.

Reaction Score
Next season its Paige, Azzi, Aaliyah, Aubrey and Jana or Ice or Ayanna. Caroline is first coming off the bench with Nika a close second. First, Big backups will be the so called seconds in the post or Jana or Ice or Ayanna. I think the starter will be Jana but time will tell how well she acclimates to US playing style. I think, however, whoever starts; the others will have plenty of playing time depending on the opponent. The other freshman, i.e., KK, Ashlyn, Q along with Ines will be available for special situations and will be worked in to give them PT. Go Huskies

Reaction Score

This sounds right to me. I also thinks as Paige is coming back from injury taking the pressure off of her to run point could be helpful to ease her back into playing.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
I just love it when everyone thinks that Paige is going to be the PG, Geno has stated many times that Nika is the PG and she is the energy bunny on this team, both for the offense and defense. Yes, Paige will play some PG to give Nika some rest, but she will not be the PG, she will be the SG or the 3 when Paige, Azzi, and Nika are all on the floor.

Reaction Score
So how did someone who is not a point guard pulverize the season assist record? Your response is, in a word, astonishing.

Yea, I had to read that 2 or 3 times to make sure I was absorbing it correctly. That had to be the biggest WTF? statement I have seen in quite a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom