KK Brings More Than Basketball | Page 2 | The Boneyard

KK Brings More Than Basketball

Status
Not open for further replies.

JBK

Reaction Score
With Nika, Paige, and Azzi likely starting I think she'll be an important reserve that should have a shot at a decent about of playing time. She'll be competing with Ines and fellow freshman Ashlyn as the first backcourt sub for Paige or Nike I would imagine.
Should be a great problem for Geno, but I love when a healthy Paige has the ball in her hands.

Reaction Score
I don't think either Caroline or Aubrey is a good pg substitute. I can picture Caroline at the 2, 3, or 4, and Aubrey at the 3 or 4. But if we have to have either of them at the 1, we are going to be pressed. I suspect Geno (like every coach before him in Paige's life) has wanted to have her at the 2 position, and the presence of KK, Inês and Nika is going to make that a sort of default. I also suspect Paige and Azzi (and probably Caroline and Aubrey too) will not play more than 30 mins/g each next year. This is the same problem Dawn faced this year -- a long bench means a long rotation and the stars tend not to play more than 30 mins, and folks start sniping at the stars for having lower stats. The question for me is whether Aaliyah will play 35+ mins next year.
I agree that Caroline and Aubrey are not good choices to play PG, but they don't have to, even if the player they are coming in for is Nika. In my scenario Nika and Paige are never on the bench at the same time, and whenever Nika sits Paige is the PG. Caroline or Aubrey could come in for any of the three small starters and usually play at the 3, Paige might start as the 3 but when Nika comes out moves to the point, and if Azzi sits for Caroline or Aubrey, Paige becomes the 2.

Nika plays pretty exclusively as a 1, Azzi as a 2, Paige at all three positions, and Caroline and Aubrey mostly at the 3, but occasionally at the 2. Those 5 players could handle the 120 minutes at those three positions in a rotation of 5. Geno could obviously go beyond that, but I see the potential minutes from KK and Ashlyn coming mostly at the expense of Caroline and Aubrey which is a pretty high bar for a newcomer to clear.

If you get Paige and Azzi down to 30 minutes or so that would open up more opportunities, and I would love to see Geno go 10-11 deep and press frequently because players like KK and Ashlyn have earned some rotation minutes, I'm just not thinking that is very likely. I would love to be surprised though.

Reaction Score
KK is going to bring some much-needed speed to the UConn program........hoping she gets a chance to play a bit of meaningful basketball next year.........
Charlie--you sound like you know something not stated here. Geno, in the past, you and I both complained about--didn't play Freshmen. Recently he has. So, if KK has the talent, speed, and defense she'll get minutes. Caroline, Paige, Fudd speak loudly for Freshmen playing.

If the kid is ready---she'll play.

Reaction Score
Doggie, you're a closet seer. This is how I perceive Geno's dilemma next season as well, but one I'm sure he'll relish.
I don't think either Caroline or Aubrey is a good pg substitute. I can picture Caroline at the 2, 3, or 4, and Aubrey at the 3 or 4. But if we have to have either of them at the 1, we are going to be pressed. I suspect Geno (like every coach before him in Paige's life) has wanted to have her at the 2 position, and the presence of KK, Inês and Nika is going to make that a sort of default. I also suspect Paige and Azzi (and probably Caroline and Aubrey too) will not play more than 30 mins/g each next year. This is the same problem Dawn faced this year -- a long bench means a long rotation and the stars tend not to play more than 30 mins, and folks start sniping at the stars for having lower stats. The question for me is whether Aaliyah will play 35+ mins next year.
Well said, Bone Dog, TCC KId and Carnac... from what I've seen here and on previous KK videos, she has the handle, passing skills and shooting ability to step in as the point guard at most DI programs. Fortunately, at UConn she won't need to (although I suspect she will be often over the next four seasons).

It looks to me that she's slimmed down a bit and is even quicker than in earlier videos. As numerous of you have said, she'll drive other teams batty at both ends of the court.

KK might need to moderate her theatrics, yet I love her evident self-confidence and that she seems to have the support of her teammates. That has always been a crucial ingredient for the Huskies.

With all the talent hopefully awaiting Geno's bidding next season, I believe the lynchpin still will be whether Paige can come back and be as good or close to as good as she was a freshman. Great teams generally are led by great players, and begging my pardon for all others on the roster, Paige is still the most conspicuous candidate to be a great player.

Finally, regardless of all the talk and discussion about who'll be the 1, 2 or 3, best thing for the '22-23 Huskies could be that whether it's Paige, Nika, KK, Azzi or Ines bringing the ball up the court, they're all well schooled as point guards and all of them can shoot... in Geno's ideal offense, who'll bother keeping track of the 1s, 2s and 3s?
Charlie--you sound like you know something not stated here. Geno, in the past, you and I both complained about--didn't play Freshmen. Recently he has. So, if KK has the talent, speed, and defense she'll get minutes. Caroline, Paige, Fudd speak loudly for Freshmen playing.

Reaction Score
With the load of guard Geno shall have--that is a great problem to have. Caroliine CAN play PG, should she, probably not when she is better close to the basket and hitting 3's. Aubrey is a different story, because she is a different type of player. She is the only, current, basket attacking and post defending player on the team. Her skills are well suited for the PRO's. I keep thinking UTILITY when I think Griffin. Who, how, when players get minutes hasn't really been an issue for nearly 30 years (or ever how long it has been since SEVETA). That's one problem that won't keep Geno nor Christine awake nights.

Reaction Score
Well said, Bone Dog, TCC KId and Carnac... from what I've seen here and on previous KK videos, she has the handle, passing skills and shooting ability to step in as the point guard at most DI programs. Fortunately, at UConn she won't need to (although I suspect she will be often over the next four seasons).

It looks to me that she's slimmed down a bit and is even quicker than in earlier videos. As numerous of you have said, she'll drive other teams batty at both ends of the court.

KK might need to moderate her theatrics, yet I love her evident self-confidence and that she seems to have the support of her teammates. That has always been a crucial ingredient for the Huskies.

With all the talent hopefully awaiting Geno's bidding next season, I believe the lynchpin still will be whether Paige can come back and be as good or close to as good as she was a freshman. Great teams generally are led by great players, and begging my pardon for all others on the roster, Paige is still the most conspicuous candidate to be a great player.

Finally, regardless of all the talk and discussion about who'll be the 1, 2 or 3, best thing for the '22-23 Huskies could be that whether it's Paige, Nika, KK, Azzi or Ines bringing the ball up the court, they're all well schooled as point guards and all of them can shoot... in Geno's ideal offense, who'll bother keeping track of the 1s, 2s and 3s?
Thanks---Ines skipped my fading brain. What's interesting about Ines is: She plays a lot of minutes. She is far from perfect right now but you can see the potential. OBVIOUSLY, Geno does or her court time would be less or in blow outs.

Reaction Score
I agree that Caroline and Aubrey are not good choices to play PG, but they don't have to, even if the player they are coming in for is Nika. In my scenario Nika and Paige are never on the bench at the same time, and whenever Nika sits Paige is the PG. Caroline or Aubrey could come in for any of the three small starters and usually play at the 3, Paige might start as the 3 but when Nika comes out moves to the point, and if Azzi sits for Caroline or Aubrey, Paige becomes the 2.

Nika plays pretty exclusively as a 1, Azzi as a 2, Paige at all three positions, and Caroline and Aubrey mostly at the 3, but occasionally at the 2. Those 5 players could handle the 120 minutes at those three positions in a rotation of 5. Geno could obviously go beyond that, but I see the potential minutes from KK and Ashlyn coming mostly at the expense of Caroline and Aubrey which is a pretty high bar for a newcomer to clear.

If you get Paige and Azzi down to 30 minutes or so that would open up more opportunities, and I would love to see Geno go 10-11 deep and press frequently because players like KK and Ashlyn have earned some rotation minutes, I'm just not thinking that is very likely. I would love to be surprised though.
Last Paragraph: It is POSSIBLE to get 10 or 11 in games. With the injuries of the past 2 or 3 seasons, it is important to "coddle" these most needed players. If the "fire power" is as good as anticipated, mixing and matching should be a given.

Reaction Score
I think many posters here need a dose of reality about the three entering Freshman guards. There are currently six returning guards, including two Player of the Year candidates and another who just obliterated the UConn season assists record. There is is no playing time available , which is why I and several others think we will see four guards on the floor simultaneously quite often.I
I definitely agree with some of what you said but there are too many caveats in play here. Is Paige going to be fully recovered? Will Azzi continue to be susceptible to the injury bug. Also, forger the assist record, Nika is not a point guard. She is great at defense, brings a tough mindset to the game and is a great teammate but she is just about an average ball handler and that is not what you want in a point guard. And you can pretty much forget about Inez. She will be the player who runs up and down the line slapping hands when a three is made. Finally, unless we are playing a team with no player taller than six feet you are always going to have a wing and center on the floor.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
If the team is as good as advertised, they should see plenty of PT. Paige, Azzi, Aaliyah, etc, shouldn’t have to play upwards of 30-35 minutes a game.

Stewie, Morgan and Moriah all averaged 30 minutes or less their last year. Hopefully we’ll see a repeat of that.
But they were playing in the AAC, where only USF could be considered a challenge. I would think that the BE might be a bit more formidable. But I get your point. We might very well be playing 8, 9 or 10 players without a drop in performance.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
KK must have an extremely high ratio of fast twitch muscle bundles/ fibers.
That ratio is said to contribute to what makes some elite athletes have very unique & exceptional qualities.
Players like that aren't often found sitting on the bench for very long because they get fast tracked.
Pun intended?

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score

Yea, neither CFD or Griffin will be playing the 1 or probably the 2 either. They'll be filling the 3/4 spots mostly. I could see them with quite a bit of time at the 4 really. I could easily see a lineup of Muhl, Bueckers, Fudd, CFD/Griffin, and Edwards. (probably the staring lineup) (not sure if he would go with CFD or Griffin to start)

He could go Muhl/Bueckers/Fudd/Griffin/Edwards and then bring in CFD for Muhl and slide Bueckers and Fudd up the line. Then bring in Brady/Patterson/El Alfy for Griffin. Then who knows who next????

Hopefully it will be a lot of mixing and matching next year. Hopefully plenty of players (not injured) to mix and match.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
I definitely agree with some of what you said but there are too many caveats in play here. Is Paige going to be fully recovered? Will Azzi continue to be susceptible to the injury bug. Also, forger the assist record, Nika is not a point guard. She is great at defense, brings a tough mindset to the game and is a great teammate but she is just about an average ball handler and that is not what you want in a point guard. And you can pretty much forget about Inez. She will be the player who runs up and down the line slapping hands when a three is made. Finally, unless we are playing a team with no player taller than six feet you are always going to have a wing and center on the floor.
I would like to know. "What alternate Universe do you live on?" Because it sure isn't in the same one everyone on this board is on.

Reaction Score
Ok it's time to give this up. Having an average handle doesn't make you not a point guard. Nika is very much a point guard, and considered a top 5 point guard in Womens College basketball this year by those who would know best. She has great court vision, is a floor leader, initiates the offense and is a great passer. All those things make her an excellent point guard. I can't believe this is even a conversation that is being had.

Reaction Score

I think Geno will only play a freshman if they are either truly outstanding or if he simply has no upperclassmen that are better..........obviously if Paige, Azzi and Nika are healthy minutes are going to be hard to find for KK but I do sense that she could be used in certain situations where her speed gives UConn a major advantage and that could be at either end of the floor......

Reaction Score
Does she always go left after the "shake and bake" move she does?? Seems like that's the way she goes most of the time. Hope she can mix it up or in D1 WBB it will be easy to scout and know how to stop her.
She goes whichever way she wants to or the defender gives her. Watch the first 4 minutes again. She beats the defender going right more often than left. She won't have any problem mixing it up.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I think Geno will only play a freshman if they are either truly outstanding or if he simply has no upperclassmen that are better..........obviously if Paige, Azzi and Nika are healthy minutes are going to be hard to find for KK but I do sense that she could be used in certain situations where her speed gives UConn a major advantage and that could be at either end of the floor......
Then there is this, which we tend to forget. Even the best of the entering freshman class most often struggle for a time, through January and beyond for all but a few, with playing UConn defense to Geno's satisfaction.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
She goes whichever way she wants to or the defender gives her. Watch the first 4 minutes again. She beats the defender going right more often than left. She won't have any problem mixing it up.
Of all the recruits we have coming in next year, I’m most excited about KK. I have no doubt she’ll be a crowd favorite, and well worth the price of admission. :cool:

Reaction Score
6 returning guards??? I count four. Ines, Azzi, Paige, and Nika. Where are the other two?
Caroline and Aubrey. Positions 1-3 are guards in Geno’s offense, particularly if Nika, Azzi and Paige all start.

Reaction Score
So how did someone who is not a point guard pulverize the season assist record? Your response is, in a word, astonishing.

Reaction Score
Loved this video, but there is one little issue she needs to take care of. KK tends to push off sometimes with her left arm, the refs aren't calling it in the video, they will in college ball.
Hasn't stopped Caitlin Clark. She even slaps defenders' hands down that aren't touching her.

Reaction Score
She'll get minutes because she can get into the interior of a defense with ease. No running start required! And she can finish or dish. Many can get in there, but then the get "stuck". With so many talented guards and this added athleticism (including Shade) I hope we start pressing more. Next year, the bodies are available.

Reaction Score
She'll get minutes because she can get into the interior of a defense with ease. No running start required! And she can finish or dish. Many can get in there, but then the get "stuck". With so many talented guards and this added athleticism (including Shade) I hope we start pressing more. Next year, the bodies are available.
Fox in the henhouse. That ability to beat the defender, get in and pull up for the 15 footer is what suckers the big out for the dump down. She’s got that, it’ll be her grasp of defense that will determine when she’ll get minutes.

Reaction Score
During this off week we are all doing a bit of next year dreaming and I bet all of us not having any injuries in mind. My problem is I have come up with the "perfect" rotation groups but when I was done I counted them and discovered I had 6 not 5! I see the center: JA, AD, and Ice. Power forwards: AE, AP. Wing: CD, AG, QS. Shooting Guard: , AS. PG: PB, KK. Bring Ball up court (for lack of other name): Nika, Ines. I guess that the 6 guards will have to be put into 2 groups unless using a 3 guard (usual) and 2 post groups. At that point it would seem to be Nike, Ines at Point with , AS at SG1 and PB,KK at SG2. Power Forward of AE, AP, ICE. JA and Wing of AG, CD, AD, QS. What a great problem to have!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom