OT: - Kitchen Renovation | Page 8 | The Boneyard

OT: Kitchen Renovation

Reaction Score
My worst nightmare is this thing dragging out that long. Mrs. 82 can be change adverse and reluctant to pull the trigger. That's probably the biggest reason I agreed to the designer that she likes. Whatever makes it easier to make a decision.

After hearing everyone's nightmares I'm amazed at what we were able to accomplish. We started demo on June 6 of last year and finished a year ago Tuesday. And that was with a multiple day pause for asbestos mitigation.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
We went with granite for our kitchen renovation and that hasn't been an issue.
We like the durability of quartz but it is easy to take it for granite.

Last edited:

UConNation

I object!
Reaction Score
Our contractor is showing up tomorrow for Day 1 of our kitchen remodel and I have to vent for a second. So far we've really liked the guy. Small company, enthusiastic, very responsive, great reviews and his work looks amazing from the pictures we've seen. For the countertop he really wanted us to use "his guy". We had a few other places we were going to look, but I get where he's coming from. They advertise his services, he sends them work etc. This is the first time in all of my experiences with contractors (and I've remodeled a kitchen in my prior home) that I wasn't given an allowance for some of the major work. He gave us one for flooring, but not for countertops. When I questioned him on it and asked what our allowance was, he told us that there isn't one because he knows that we wanted to quartz and how much he'd need and what it'll cost at his guys place. So, we showed up there told them who referred us and started looking around. The owners were really helpful and matched our cabinet color to the flooring we wanted and then showed us what the various countertops under consideration would look like. We never discussed price, because we weren't given an allowance... it was just included in the quote. So, my wife picks the one she wants. I sent that info to the contractor, he calls them to give the measurements and sends me a text today (the day before he's supposed to start demo) and says "your wife has expensive taste". I explained that we never even looked at or discussed price with his guy because that was included in the quote and he didn't want to give us an allowance number. Asked him if it's going to be a problem, and his response was just "maybe. don't worry about it right now".

I like to plan. As much as possible, I like to have contingencies in place, which is why I asked the questions I did. And now, the day before we're supposed to start, to find out that what he told us was included, may not be is really frustrating. If he comes back and tells us the quote is going up, I kind of want to go with a different countertop person, just out of spite. But that would likely delay the project.

/end rant

any suggestions? should I push back if he tries to change the terms or price or just go with it for the sake of the project?

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
All I can say when someone is working on your property and they say "don't worry about it right now" that's about as red flaggy as it gets. He should be able to give you an accurate cost of all materials and labor before he starts. Don't let him start without it.

UConNation

I object!
Reaction Score
All I can say when someone is working on your property and they say "don't worry about it right now" that's about as red flaggy as it gets. He should be able to give you an accurate cost of all materials and labor before he starts. Don't let him start without it.
That's the part that I'm finding baffling. We have a signed contract that lists down to the gnats behind what he's doing/providing and what I'm responsible for providing. The flooring he gave us an allowance per square foot, but the countertop is just one of the items that's listed as included in the quote. The not-so-cynical side of me thinks he's trying to negotiate with his countertop guy to get the price within what he budgeted. But overall, I'm with you. Not only because I don't want to get screwed over price-wise, but also because even if we did choose something else in a few days or week, it'd delay the project.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Our contractor is showing up tomorrow for Day 1 of our kitchen remodel and I have to vent for a second. So far we've really liked the guy. Small company, enthusiastic, very responsive, great reviews and his work looks amazing from the pictures we've seen. For the countertop he really wanted us to use "his guy". We had a few other places we were going to look, but I get where he's coming from. They advertise his services, he sends them work etc. This is the first time in all of my experiences with contractors (and I've remodeled a kitchen in my prior home) that I wasn't given an allowance for some of the major work. He gave us one for flooring, but not for countertops. When I questioned him on it and asked what our allowance was, he told us that there isn't one because he knows that we wanted to quartz and how much he'd need and what it'll cost at his guys place. So, we showed up there told them who referred us and started looking around. The owners were really helpful and matched our cabinet color to the flooring we wanted and then showed us what the various countertops under consideration would look like. We never discussed price, because we weren't given an allowance... it was just included in the quote. So, my wife picks the one she wants. I sent that info to the contractor, he calls them to give the measurements and sends me a text today (the day before he's supposed to start demo) and says "your wife has expensive taste". I explained that we never even looked at or discussed price with his guy because that was included in the quote and he didn't want to give us an allowance number. Asked him if it's going to be a problem, and his response was just "maybe. don't worry about it right now".

I like to plan. As much as possible, I like to have contingencies in place, which is why I asked the questions I did. And now, the day before we're supposed to start, to find out that what he told us was included, may not be is really frustrating. If he comes back and tells us the quote is going up, I kind of want to go with a different countertop person, just out of spite. But that would likely delay the project.

/end rant

any suggestions? should I push back if he tries to change the terms or price or just go with it for the sake of the project?
Red Red Red Flag.
Tell the guy to take a hike and find someone else to do your project.

Reaction Score

/end rant

It's either included or it's not. I wouldn't let him start with that open..especially without knowing how much the potential overage is. I would rather have the last text from me being something like if you start the project tomorrow, it's included.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Asked him if it's going to be a problem, and his response was just "maybe. don't worry about it right now".

You need to follow up immediately and tell him that you need to worry about it now because he said it my be a problem and you don't want to start with that being a question mark. Call him and ask him directly what he means. If he says there may be an overage ask him why. If his answer is acceptable to you, proceed but confirm it in a text or otherwise. If his answer isn't acceptable, get another guy.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
It's either included or it's not. I wouldn't let him start with that open..especially without knowing how much the potential overage is. I would rather have the last text from me being something like if you start the project tomorrow, it's included.
First of all good to know you haven’t left.

I’m not sure I could trust a contractor who is running a project and didn’t define the conditions for the countertops. I’d worry if he defines them now he could be boxed in and shortchange other parts of the job to make up for the loss.

UConNation

I object!
Reaction Score
You need to follow up immediately and tell him that you need to worry about it now because he said it my be a problem and you don't want to start with that being a question mark. Call him and ask him directly what he means. If he says there may be an overage ask him why. If his answer is acceptable to you, proceed but confirm it in a text or otherwise. If his answer isn't acceptable, get another guy.

You guys have premonition or something. I just texted him 5 minutes ago and told him I need an answer before he starts.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
You guys have premonition or something. I just texted him 5 minutes ago and told him I need an answer before he starts.
Good luck. Like you it’s a head scratcher to me he could have missed something as basic as an allowance for a countertop. Or indicating a final quote would be made depending on a selection. We chose are products and received a labor and material cost before proceeding with every aspect of our project.

Reaction Score
Good luck. Like you it’s a head scratcher to me he could have missed something as basic as an allowance for a countertop. Or indicating a final quote would be made depending on a selection. We chose are products and received a labor and material cost before proceeding with every aspect of our project.
I have a friend that is having a house built by a his wife's friend's husband. Quote said it included cabinets and entry door...when he picked out cabinets and a front door, contractor suggested a "really nice door" that was only a little more...16k more..lol. He said no thanks....but contractor was really pushing him. Overages are a really easy way to make up for a low price quote.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
I have a friend that is having a house built by a his wife's friend's husband. Quote said it included cabinets and entry door...when he picked out cabinets and a front door, contractor suggested a "really nice door" that was only a little more...16k more..lol. He said no thanks....but contractor was really pushing him. Overages are a really easy way to make up for a low price quote.
Exactly. And from several people who've related stories if they don't make it up in overages they make it up in inferior labor or materials.

And as I'm typing this I just received an email from one of my contractors beginning his phase of the project.

Reaction Score
If he comes back and tells us the quote is going up, I kind of want to go with a different countertop person, just out of spite. But that would likely delay the project.
Don't see why? They can't template the countertop until the cabinets are in. Doesn't matter who does it as long as you know the material and they have a reasonable turnaround time. My guess is if you try that route he will give you a really really really small credit for the countertop though.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
So what happened?

Reaction Score

/end rant

I’m a real developer/contractor. I’ve been doing it for 25 years. I’ve built everything from $2000/sf luxury homes to labs and apartments. YOU SHOULD NEVER GO INTO A PROJECT WITHOUT KNOWING THE FIRM PRICE FOR EVERYTHING THEY ARE DOING AND A CONTRACT TO BACK IT UP.

Reaction Score

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Plumber just came to install a hot water heater. Yes this late. Am I going to be serving these guys breakfast or what?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Plumber just came to install a hot water heater. Yes this late. Am I going to be serving these guys breakfast or what?
Plumber's crack photo or it didn't happen.

We purchased a new dryer from the Sears outlet a couple years ago and paid for delivery, installation and hauling away of our old dryer. They kept pushing the estimated time later and then I didn't hear anything after 5 p.m. I called the store and said I was canceling the order because it hadn't been delivered as promised. They kept bouncing me around and had no idea what was going on. I went to bed around 11 pm and heard a truck backing down the driveway. Yep. 11 pm and let's say not the most friendly or trust-inspiring guys. In a house with three young girls. I stood in the driveway and insisted we had canceled the order and that I would refuse the delivery. My wife pleaded with me to suck it up because she really needed the dryer. I did. They needed to remove a door to install it. They left well after midnight.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom