OT: - Kitchen Renovation | Page 7 | The Boneyard

OT: Kitchen Renovation

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I think it will and I'm curious to hear what you think.
We were happy to have found an option that remedied so many things we disliked about those floors without the need to drill out two layer of tile/tile or tile/stone.

We knew it matched our taste and would make the white kitchen cabinets pop.

It exceeded our expectations. The LVT looks and feels like real tile. The ratings are great for the product we selected and yet the additional depth is very small.

We were lucky to have found great installers. They did an outstanding job prepping the old floor. But the real art to this job was knowing how to get the best lay out. Guys were pros.

Some water dropped onto this material. Beads up with no damage and easy to wipe. Strongly recommend it for your laundry project and any kitchen or bathroom project. Although if people can get away with free floating LVP they should consider that first.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
A little outdoor project in our community garden. Took four years to rehab that space primarily because two broken down old people did most of the work the first two years. The older women, whom I reluctantly agreed to help because I felt sorry for, bailed after second year. Ultimatum to community elicited support of up to seven helpers. My wife and a friend painted the gazebo.

Attachments

• IMG_1060.jpg
    IMG_1060.jpg
    173.7 KB · Views: 27

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
@fleudslipcon, good stuff. Everything looks great. You won't mind if I don't show any of the photos to my wife would you?
I'd advise it.
Yeah, I'm going just the opposite with this but we are in the middle of renovation planning. Time to go text the designer and ask for status of her design plans.

Thanks Fleud this was useful information.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
While we are sharing here is ours when it was completed. I put a bunch in Imgur to make it easier. We changed our mind on the blue wash stain on the island and it matches the cabinets now.

The floor is oak finished in minwax English Chestnut. We love the color. The refrigerator is counter depth but wasn't installed yet. Same with the range. The backsplash we waited on. We weren't sure what we wanted so had it tiled later after we had some experience with the kitchen. Under cabinet lighting was Xenon, but I bought LED bulbs since then, which reduces a lot of heat.

CL82

Reaction Score
While we are sharing here is ours when it was completed. I put a bunch in Imgur to make it easier. We changed our mind on the blue wash stain on the island and it matches the cabinets now.

The floor is oak finished in minwax English Chestnut. We love the color. The refrigerator is counter depth but wasn't installed yet. Same with the range. The backsplash we waited on. We weren't sure what we wanted so had it tiled later after we had some experience with the kitchen. Under cabinet lighting was Xenon, but I bought LED bulbs since then, which reduces a lot of heat.

What is the countertop?

CL82

Reaction Score
It's a flat working surface, usually in a kitchen, that sits on top of waist-level cabinetry.
Actually thought of you the other day. My daughter asked her "insta friends" whether whenever they show their dads a new pair of "ripped jeans" their dads say "Oh honey that's too bad, they're torn. Well I'm sure we can take them back..." She said the overwhelming answer was "yes." I thought to myself, hmm I wonder if '88's daughter is one of her friends" since you are a well known purveyor of dad humor.

Last edited:

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
What is the countertop?

Soapstone. Here is the gouge from a cup that fell. You can see the scratches. If you so much as open a beer it leaves a mark.

CL82

Reaction Score
Soapstone. Here is the gouge from a cup that fell. You can see the scratches. If you so much as open a beer it leaves a mark. View attachment 45511
Totally see why you chose it. It is great looking.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Actually thought of you the other day. My daughter asked her "insta friends" whether whenever they show show their dads a new pair of "ripped jeans" their dads says "Oh honey that's too bad, they're torn. Well I sure we can take them back..." She said the overwhelming answer was "yes." I thought to myself, hmm I wonder if '88's daughter is one of her friends" since you are well known purveyor of dad humor.
I've had more "choice" words about the ripped jeans and shorts than jokes. Then several years ago I stopped commenting on them and other similar items altogether after a female friend and colleague with an older daughter gave me some very sage advice about picking my battles.

CL82

Reaction Score
I've had more "choice" words about the ripped jeans and shorts than jokes. Then several years ago I stopped commenting on them and other similar items altogether after a female friend and colleague with an older daughter gave me some very sage advice about picking my battles.
When my daughter was younger our rule was, Dad gets to veto any clothes that he feels are inappropriate. I did from time to time. My daughter was pretty much okay with it. I had told her that I wanted to make sure that everyone gave her the respect that I feel she deserves. She was okay with it after that.

I read a book that girls derive their sense of self-worth from their relationship with their fathers. From when she was young on I always let her know what a terrific kid I think she is. So far, so good. We still have a great relationship now that she is a young adult.

I agree 100% though that as a parent, you need to choose your battles carefully. It is easy to get lost in the weeds.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
When my daughter was younger our rule was, Dad gets to veto any clothes that he feels are inappropriate. I did from time to time. My daughter was pretty much okay with it. I had told her that I wanted to make sure that everyone gave her the respect that I feel she deserves. She was okay with it after that.

I read a book that girls derive their sense of self-worth from their relationship with their fathers. From when she was young on I always let her know what a terrific kid I think she is. So far, so good. We still have a great relationship now that she is a young adult.

I agree 100% though that as a parent, you need to choose your battles carefully. It is easy to get lost in the weeds.
Agree on all. I tried a similar approach on the clothes and it worked for a bit, but I still find myself shaking my head sometimes at the outfits some of them wear. Friends, peer pressure and social media are tough to overcome, so yeah I stick with letting them know how highly I think of them, and that does seem to pay dividends over time.

Reaction Score
We are remodeling too and it is taking FOREVER for us to make up our minds about basic kitchen layout. For counters, going with Ashfield MA stone (they call is shisht)- lots of different kinds with some that look like soapstone with metallic mica like parts, some more wild like Rembrandt Starry Night skies. Range is a French made Lacanche. But which wall to put range, should we keep sink where it was or move it to different wall, how much taller should ceiling be before it gets out of proportion- these things are driving us (any my wife) crazy. We started last May 2018 and still haven't ordered cabinets- kitchen is studs right now. Hope we figure it out soon.

CL82

Reaction Score
We are remodeling too and it is taking FOREVER for us to make up our minds about basic kitchen layout. For counters, going with Ashfield MA stone (they call is shisht)- lots of different kinds with some that look like soapstone with metallic mica like parts, some more wild like Rembrandt Starry Night skies. Range is a French made Lacanche. But which wall to put range, should we keep sink where it was or move it to different wall, how much taller should ceiling be before it gets out of proportion- these things are driving us (any my wife) crazy. We started last May 2018 and still haven't ordered cabinets- kitchen is studs right now. Hope we figure it out soon.
My worst nightmare is this thing dragging out that long. Mrs. 82 can be change adverse and reluctant to pull the trigger. That's probably the biggest reason I agreed to the designer that she likes. Whatever makes it easier to make a decision.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Does that have a sprinkler system?
No. We have Three outlets with hoses. We’ve had sufficient rain this year and last year that necessitated only watering new plantings in that section of the garden.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom