Kisunas released from LOI | Page 10 | The Boneyard

Kisunas released from LOI

Reaction Score
I don't understand why so many of these types of posts omit Polley. Obviously he's a limited player who needs a lot of improvement, but the kid shot 42% from 3. When's the last time a freshman did that at UConn?

Even if his role never grows beyond "stand there and hit a shot every four minutes," that's a valuable rotation piece.

Polley took 1 3pter (not made 1) per game on the season. It's take a shot every 25 minutes, make 1 every other game.

The sample size and limited shot selection devalue his shooting %'s. I'm not saying "He can't shoot". I'm saying he hasn't proven it yet.

Still, I agree that he'll grow into a nice rotational piece.

Reaction Score
Honestly ok with me all 3 of KO's recruits decomitted .....a coach recruits the players he wants for multiple years usually so doesn't make a lot of sense for DH or the players to make a 4 year commitment to one another when they are strangers....he already has to get to know the players already here so why tie up the 3 other schollies unless you're "in love"

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
Polley took 1 3pter (not made 1) per game on the season. It's take a shot every 25 minutes, make 1 every other game.

The sample size and limited shot selection devalue his shooting %'s. I'm not saying "He can't shoot". I'm saying he hasn't proven it yet.

Still, I agree that he'll grow into a nice rotational piece.
Fair.

Reaction Score
I agree about the 2018 recruits not being apart of his vision(sans Akinjo). But I whole heartedly disagree about the amount of talent we have on this team. Ollie was just a terrible coach. We didn’t lack the talent sufficient enough to make the tournament, we lacked the direction and leadership
We lacked the mix of talent to make the tournament. No PG, no 2G scorer.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I will say that Whaley and Vital could have roles as well. Ideally as key bench players. They were both extremely solid with BPM.

Not quite as high on Whaley as you are. For next year at any rate. He's pretty damn raw and still very thin. We'll see.

I think Vital is a better 3pt shooter than his numbers for 2 reasons 1) his FT% and 2) his shot selection is beyond abysmal right now. Hurley providing some actual accountability and reigning that in will only see that number spike.

Fully agree on that; I've been banging that drum as well. I'm not sure about spike, but they should increase.

I think a similar concept will apply to Jalen too. I don't believe he's as bad as he's shown. I think, not having to do everything and having more open space will be a huge benefit. Along withnot having 3 guys guarding you all game.

Now, that assumes we get more guards. With only 3 in the fold, it's hard to enforce accountability without limiting playing time.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Same people seem to be lamenting we lost a knock down shooter Jeremy Lamb clone in Emmitt Matthews who shot 29% from three in high school.

Don't be so dramatic. Nobody said he was a clone of Lamb. I mentioned him in that I hoped he could eventually become Jeremy Lamb-lite. Which is not the same thing. He is smooth like Lamb, good bounce, can handle a little, has a soft looking shot, and is rangy for his weight. Reminiscent. There is some potential there.

I'm certainly not crying we lost him.

Reaction Score
JA is a combo guard. Anyone who can't see that is moronic.
John Stockton type Pg’s don’t exists anymore. He may be a different type of pg but he’s the exact prototype of a modern day pg.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
every time lawyers fight with each other on the boneyard an angel gets its wings.....

giphy.gif

If we get angels like that, I'll fight more BY lawyers.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Not quite as high on Whaley as you are. For next year at any rate. He's pretty damn raw and still very thin. We'll see.

Fully agree on that; I've been banging that drum as well. I'm not sure about spike, but they should increase.

I think a similar concept will apply to Jalen too. I don't believe he's as bad as he's shown. I think, not having to do everything and having more open space will be a huge benefit. Along withnot having 3 guys guarding you all game.

Now, that assumes we get more guards. With only 3 in the fold, it's hard to enforce accountability without limiting playing time.

I feel you. I’m probably the Whaley champion on the board. I have a soft spot for guys like him. But he was a very effective defender. Versatile. He can guard a lot of positions. But is upside is probably more Kevin freeman like. I’m good with that. I’m excited to see what he looks like as an upperclassmen. I think he can win AAC dpoy at some point.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Disagree that we NEED another wing and big. A guard, definitely. But Sid/Polley can hold down the wing position. Diarra, Whaley, Cobb, and Carlton are "serviceable" I would say as well. Plus I'd rather have Hurley get a wing and a big in the 2019 class rather than filling the roster just to fill it.

Agreed. There are players up front if we have a coach who will use them. Ideally we need another ball handler, and I think Grad Transfer is our best bet there. My reasoning is that Gilbert's surgeon suggested that this latest procedure should leave him good as new. Better than he's been since his initial HS injury. I don't know how many top freshman PGs want to come in and sit behind Gilbert and Adams. Next year is when we target a freshman PG.

This year, if we can land a freshman SG, and a grad transfer PG that would be ideal. Add a PF/C if we find one that is worth the scholarship.

Reaction Score
There was some talent on the team this year...but the main problem was roster balance. That is still our biggest problem until we get another point guard (can’t rely on gilbert to be healthy). We had a bunch of 4/5’s that all did similar things, and one ball handler who had to play every minute of the game because nobody else could handle the ball. With Hurley and the development/improvement of the young guys, we should be a better team regardless but shooting and ball handling are still lacking.

Reaction Score
I feel you. I’m probably the Whaley champion on the board. I have a soft spot for guys like him. But he was a very effective defender. Versatile. He can guard a lot of positions. But is upside is probably more Kevin freeman like. I’m good with that. I’m excited to see what he looks like as an upperclassmen. I think he can win AAC dpoy at some point.

Whaley's upside is more Marcus White than Kevin Freeman.

Reaction Score
I know it is apples and oranges but this reminds me of football discussions last year when folks thought just by getting a new coach, we could make a bowl game. We found out talent was not there and it is a total rebuild. I think we will find the same thing here. There is nobody on this team except for Adams - who my gut thinks he will not be back - with real talent. Gilbert is a bit of a wild card. He cannot be counted on to play a full season or even to play at the level he did when he was recruited. Everyone else, I am sure, including these 3 recruits have some decent qualities but are at best bench players for any decent team, let alone a final four team. Not sure what folks see in players like Polley, Whaley, etc. Someone compared Polley to DeAndre Daniels? I think it is going to be a long couple of years for us and I will say the same thing I said about football - I will be happy if/when we can compete in the AAC - win tournament championships and make the NCAA's for now. If/when we get back to Final Fours, it will be gravy. We may never get back there given how hard that is and our conference, etc. but hope DH can prove me wrong. My guess DH knows next year will be a rebuild and he is probably already looking forward to 2019/2020.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom