Kisunas commits to Stanford | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Kisunas commits to Stanford

Reaction Score
That was why I said that Duke had a better basketball team.

I’ll use pictures next time to make it easier to digest.

I believe his point was that Kisunas is playing basketball, so the relative strength of the swimming/diving/lawn bowling team doesn't matter much. Nor do the rest of us much care about swimming/diving/lawn bowling.

Palo Alto over Durham, I will not disagree with. I also understand the point that Duke was not recruiting Kisunas.

With all that said, and I don't mean to offend the geniuses in this thread, but Duke and Stanford are pretty close academically, it just depends on which coast you prefer.

Reaction Score
I know folks hate Duke, but please stop with the Stanford crushes Duke in academics stuff. It is better, but we are talking about 2 perennial top 10 academic institutions.

Btw, I’m happy for the kid. Smart choice and hope he’s successful in like.

Reaction Score
Again they're both great academic schools but Duke is legitimately one of the 2 or 3 best basketball programs in the country. It's like the Harvard of basketball with Ivy league level education.
IMO, He would only make the team as a walk on at Duke. but you never know he could turn into a Luke Maye type at North Carolina.

Reaction Score
That was why I said that Duke had a better basketball team.

I’ll use pictures next time to make it easier to digest.

This debate was never about any other sport other than men’s basketball though. No one cares about the other sports.

pj

Reaction Score
Anybody having seller's remorse?

No. Very happy for Kisunas that he landed at a good spot, but we have a lot of underclassmen forwards and he was duplicative of what we have. Better to replace him with the grad transfer Yakwe and space the classes a bit.

Reaction Score
Stanford is Ivy level in terms of education and reputation; Duke is not. There are a lot of schools at Duke’s level, educationally and reputationally. Stanford is the most selective school in the country for a reason.

And yeah Palo Alto ftw.
Why are we debating this? If my kid could go to Stanford or Duke, I’d willingly pay a couple hundred thousand dollars. Going for free to either school on a scholly, I’d be one proud papa.

Good for this kid that Stanford was an option. Congrats to him!

Now back to the Huskies...

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Why are we debating this? If my kid could go to Stanford or Duke, I’d willingly pay a couple hundred thousand dollars. Going for free to either school on a scholly, I’d be one proud papa.

Good for this kid that Stanford was an option. Congrats to him!

Now back to the Huskies...
I didn't intend to debate it; I don't think there is a debate to be had. I agreed with the kid's statement in his announcement, and some people rushed in to let it be known that they think Duke is better. I think that's insanity, period. Stanford, like the Ivies, is a school that can change your trajectory in life. Duke is not, unless you plan on a career in the NBA. I could be wrong (that has happened before) but I don't think Kisunas is planning on that.

Reaction Score
Stanford is the perfect college institution: from academics, to a diverse student body, to the campus, the weather, to its proximity to Silicon Valley, to P5 athletics, to amazing facilities(sans Maples Arena), etc. etc. etc. Stanford is so good they actually recruit Olympians for their non-revenue sports and Tiger Woods for golf. In fact, a Stanford grad is probably behind the tech of this message board! The only problem, 20 years ago I had no shot of getting in. Today, my five year old daughter who will undoubtedly get a perfect score on her SATs has no shot.

I don't know Kisunas, I didn't think he was a great fit for UConn, and I have never been happier for a de-commit. For Kisunas, this is a step up. You graduate from Stanford as a basketball or football player and alumni will always take care of you. I have a great story to share some time about one of my closest friends.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I didn't intend to debate it; I don't think there is a debate to be had. I agreed with the kid's statement in his announcement, and some people rushed in to let it be known that they think Duke is better. I think that's insanity, period. Stanford, like the Ivies, is a school that can change your trajectory in life. Duke is not, unless you plan on a career in the NBA. I could be wrong (that has happened before) but I don't think Kisunas is planning on that.

This conversation has gone far too long but if you think that little of a duke education, you’re beyond being obtuse. Stanford is better, but by 2-3 slots in any academic ranking.

Reaction Score
This conversation has gone far too long but if you think that little of a duke education, you’re beyond being obtuse. Stanford is better, but by 2-3 slots in any academic ranking.

We can all agree to disagree - after all, UNC is only a few dozen skits from Harvard and Yale in any academic rating, but I can assure you the student profiles of those accepted are very, very different.

Reaction Score
Good for Lukas. He was looking to learn more than to showcase his skills. Stanford teammates likely would be better students than Dukies.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Palo Alto >>>>> Durham

Really? I worked in Palo Alto, wouldn't want to live there. I suppose four years of room and board would be nice, and it's not a bad college town. But it's overcrowded in the bar restaurant area, with all the silicon valley folks. Durham would likely be a more genuine college town.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
And in any given year Michigan and many others are right there in the rankings, too. I am not just going by rankings; I am going by my own experience and observations. I know at least a dozen Duke grads from various vintages. They are all reasonably bright people, but nothing extraordinary, and if they didn't tell you--fat chance of that--you wouldn't be able to tell that they were educated at Duke as compared with dozens of other very good schools. Stanford is rarefied air and the people of whom I am aware who graduated from there are extraordinary and tend to be the type of people you see on TV or read about in the papers.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
And in any given year Michigan and many others are right there in the rankings, too. I am not just going by rankings; I am going by my own experience and observations. I know at least a dozen Duke grads from various vintages. They are all reasonably bright people, but nothing extraordinary, and if they didn't tell you--fat chance of that--you wouldn't be able to tell that they were educated at Duke as compared with dozens of other very good schools. Stanford is rarefied air and the people of whom I am aware who graduated from there are extraordinary and tend to be the type of people you see on TV or read about in the papers.
By that account it’s apparent no Boneyarder is a Stanford grad except “Some Guy”.

Reaction Score
Stanford>>>>>>> Duke. Hoops aside, it's not even close.

Stanford beats Duke into a powder academically and athletically.

Duke has a better basketball team. Stanford has won the NACDA Directors Cup for about the last 284 years.

Not a contest.

It's actually extremely close academically according to US news and world report

#5 Stanford #9 Duke

https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges/rankings/national-universities

Take basketball into account and Duke is BY FAR the better university for the combo of the two.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

I have a similar experience...sort of. A friend and work colleague was Duke undergrad and BC law. Bright, but not exceptional. Another friend and colleague was MIT - transfer to Stanford Engineering, and then Stanford Law. He's a notch above. Our head of engineering at a start up SW company I worked at in Los Gatos back in the late 90's was a Stanford History major. Pretty brilliant really. I think part of the difference is the focus being so much more often engineering related at Stanford than Duke. I'll be honest, I've met lots of Harvard grads, and few of them have struck me as particularly brilliant either. Stanford is like a hybrid of Harvard and MIT.

Reaction Score
Stanford is rarefied air and the people of whom I am aware who graduated from there are extraordinary and tend to be the type of people you see on TV or read about in the papers.

Maybe the most over the top statement to appear on this board in years. Great school, no question, lotta distinguished alums, without a doubt, but there are plenty of schools that fit this mold.

Reaction Score
I have partied at both Stanford and Duke several times each, my pick would be Stanford.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom