Kinda OT: OKC fires Brooks | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Kinda OT: OKC fires Brooks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
there is a ton of ollie buzz to OKC despite his statement! ludicrous. literally every nba writer is saying KO or alvin gentry

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I would love to see Ollie tweet at Zagoria and Goodman and simply ask them to please stop spreading lies.

Reaction Score
To be fair, UConn fans reference that quote all the time.
True, but he's using that quote as a lead-in to his article as if Durant just said that, there's no clarification that Durant said that last year.

Reaction Score
there is a ton of ollie buzz to OKC despite his statement! ludicrous. literally every nba writer is saying KO or alvin gentry

Gentry would be a great hire, he would work wonders for that offense and get them out of iso mode.

Reaction Score
Gentry would be a great hire, he would work wonders for that offense and get them out of iso mode.
Agreed, Alvin Gentry seems like a no brainer for them. They could wait on Thibs, I love Thibs but he is all defense and he runs his players into the ground, Gentry would help that offense a ton.

Reaction Score
If I were KO's agent...putting out the public statement today about UConn was a good move. Of course KO knew the firing was coming. If you were considering a new job wouldn't you want your potential new employer to think you were married to your current situation/job? Assuming Durant & Co. really want Ollie and they sell that on management which equates to a 5M per year K offer w/buyout....that would put KO in a nice position to get more money out of UConn coming off an NIT gig. Brooks was making around 4M per if not mistaken. To appease the haterz KO can use the same lines we use here when a recruit goes elsewhere after we think he may be a UConn lean..."The situation is fluid...I had no idea Brooks would be let go!" Everything changed when the job opened up! lol It was a once in a lifetime offer! Ollie was happy for Shaka when he landed in Texas and bailed on VCU and his recruits. If you are KO and his camp there are plenty of ways to potentially use this firing to your advantage.

The real question is does OKC and Durant really want KO bad enough? Would it surprise anyone if KO took the job and won it all in OKC his first year with Durant & Westbrook? It wouldn't surprise me at all. The NBA is a tougher job than college. Much more grueling. It may not be worth the quality of life sacrifices even though the money would be better. If you guys were KO and got offered 5M over X years (whatever you want X to be within reason) wouldn't you seriously think of leaving UConn for the OKC job?

If it were me I would stay at UConn until I died! :)

BUHusky

The original. Accept no substitutes.
Reaction Score
So far the posts in this thread are quite reasonable. I expected so much more crazy from the Boneyard.

Reaction Score
So far the posts in this thread are quite reasonable. I expected so much more crazy from the Boneyard.
Well if we lose KO you can kiss UCONN Men's BBALL goodbye! We will lose all of our good recruits and transfer and we will sink to the bottom of wasteland of the AAC. LOL! Well half kidding if he does leave.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Well if we lose KO you can kiss UCONN Men's BBALL goodbye! We will lose all of our good recruits and transfer and we will sink to the bottom of wasteland of the AAC. LOL! Well half kidding if he does leave.
Why LOL? If Ollie leaves we're UMass, except in a crappier league.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
If they're smart they'll throw a bag of money at Gentry to be HC and offensive mastermind, and then another bag of money at Mike Malone to be the defensive guru.

It's stupid that Orlando haven't already hired Malone.

Reaction Score
Jeff GoodmanVerified account‏@GoodmanESPN
Always remember Kevin Durant gushing to me about Kevin Ollie when hired at UConn. Biggest key for Presti: keeping KD and Westbrook in OKC.

Jeff Goodman ‏@GoodmanESPN 3m3 minutes ago
Jeff Goodman retweeted Ben Jansen

You are incredibly naive.

Ben Jansen @BenJ6257
@GoodmanESPN Kevin Ollie already said he isn't interested in going to the NBA
Call me naive then. Just doesn't seem like a move KO would do, using UConn as more leverage. I don't buy it. Zags and Goodman are as connected to KO as lets say........................Chief is.

Last edited:

Curiouser
Reaction Score
If I were KO's agent...putting out the public statement today about UConn was a good move. Of course KO knew the firing was coming. If you were considering a new job wouldn't you want your potential new employer to think you were married to your current situation/job? Assuming Durant & Co. really want Ollie and they sell that on management which equates to a 5M per year K offer w/buyout....that would put KO in a nice position to get more money out of UConn coming off an NIT gig.
This is pure nonsense. He is not leveraging this so please stop.

Normally I let the nonsense go (knowing that Big Ern will put a smackdown on it sooner or later), but this type of conjecture is toxic--and not helpful at all with recruiting btw.

Reaction Score
If they're smart they'll throw a bag of money at Gentry to be HC and offensive mastermind, and then another bag of money at Mike Malone to be the defensive guru.

It's stupid that Orlando haven't already hired Malone.

Was Malone hired in GS to coach offense or defense? Getting confused because I remember him drawing up plays in the huddle with Mark Jackson, I might be off on this tho, I seem to recall you mentioning living out there and following the Warriors alot more closely.

Reaction Score
We would be in deep deep deep poopy...KO's agent must know that right? Hopefully OKC just hires Donovan. I understand some may think Billy D. is unquestionably the better coach BUT Ollie did beat him H2H twice last year. I think coaching played a role in that.

Reaction Score
Have any of these reporters mentioned that KO has a $5M buyout? I didn't read Zags article because I don't want to give him the clicks, but I don't see any of them mentioning it in their tweets. That's a pretty ridiculous hurdle to pay for a coach not named Popovich, and its a team that is known for being cheap.

Reaction Score
This is pure nonsense. He is not leveraging this so please stop.

Normally I let the nonsense go (knowing that Big Ern will put a smackdown on it sooner or later), but this type of conjecture is toxic--and not helpful at all with recruiting btw.

Loyalty usually has a price...at least in the real world.

Reaction Score
Why LOL? If Ollie leaves we're UMass, except in a crappier league.
Well I did say half kidding. We would be in a lot of trouble as a basketball institution based on our present predicament with KO leaving. Please, don't leave KO!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom