Kim Mulkey's Comments about Scandal | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Kim Mulkey's Comments about Scandal

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Not surprised to wake up this morning to see this thread has survived a 3rd day. Fortunately, the Huskies play tonight and that should distract most of us.

Some of us are old enough to remember a time before the internet, vm, texting, Facebook, Twitter, Snapchat and whatever the hot new social media site of the day is. Back in prehistoric times we actually used to talk about things, usually face to face, but sometimes on that confounded telephone. As primitive as we were back then, I think we were much better at communicating.

As I observe the anger, frustration and emotional outbursts that a topic like the one discussed on this thread appears to generate, I want to remind everyone that the BY is a terribly flawed forum to share views on such an inherently difficult and complex subject as sexual assault.

People communicate in relative anonymity, so no one has to take ownership of what they write. Typically there is not a lot of deep thought or editing that goes into a post on this board. While I genuinely appreciate the wit and wisdom that most posters exhibit, sometimes people post comments that could be viewed as offensive depending on your perspective.

Most importantly, some of us actually have a life away from the boneyard, or at least spend a little time sleeping every day. We scan threads, skim articles and jump on and off the BY. With such a superficial effort to keep up with every post, it is impossible for anyone to dissect every post or to keep track of everyone's perspective.

With that in mind I am reminded of former head football coach, and current ESPN analyst, Herm Edward's admonition to various athletes that post stupid and offensive comments on social media, "Don't hit send!!!" The corollary of Edward's admonition is that if you are overly sensitive, emotional or easily angered, don't spend time on social media sites and join discussions that will only serve to upset you.

Take a walk. Ride a bike. Stop in at a coffee shop, bar or some other place where people congregate. Try your hand at communicating the old fashioned way, by talking to a fellow human being. If you're not quite sure how to go about it, you can start by smiling and saying, "Hello."

Reaction Score
Man I hope not. There are clearly many honest, hardworking, forthright people in Waco who deserve better. Mulkey was right in some ways. This is a great school and a great program, no doubt. But it needs to face its problems and its skeletons head on, clear out the dead wood, offenders, apologizers and do-badders before it can call itself a good "Christian" school again.
In my experience Christian goes out the window when dollars are important. I won't go into specifics
but some things cast in stone--become mush for high dollar Christians. Look at all the College/Universities that have had major complaints--none jumped on then and said--I'm sorry--the first thing they did was get lawyers to protect the name. The reality of big money --they WILL circle the wagons. This bit about huge program football players have been protected for many many years.
Mulkey's comments were protective of Baylor--but ill advised because of the circumstances--those comments belong in a private setting with boosters--not wide open for the media to chew on.

Reaction Score
Like anything, life lived in sound bites is a scary place to be; this story is now WAY derailed.

ONE reporter has dogged Kim for weeks trying to get her to address the tragic actions and environment created by her colleague and friend Art Briles. And and all of us in the public eye at Baylor get the same goading. But Kim's by far the biggest target because she commands national media. She has multiple times spoken out against abuse and what Briles and the former President and AD allowed to happen on their watch.

The whole Baylor public feels like she does; take care of the victims in private and stop the rhetoric Stop in public. Stated in Mulkey-speak, "Move on; stop asking a wbb press conference to be a court of public opinion about some men who actually DID trivialize a "rape culture". Pressure builds and Kim finally let it blow.

ONE reporter consistently goads KMulkey to be a spokesperson about a horrific environment and coverup in the FOOTBALL program. and the reporter finally won for 10 seconds that Kim wishes she could get back.

Yep. I've got on my blinders. The "moving on" had nothing to do with her now supposed trivializing sexual assaults or coverups and EVERYTHING to do with one reporter that is just a Big 12 press corp sphincter.

What she should have done is invite the reporter to meet her outside. And the reporter would have had a new sphincter created for him.

But, when you are in front of the national media as Kim was/is, it only takes 10 seconds of venting and ESPN editing to create a national firestorm. And now Kim will have to live with the ESPN that hates her today, but loves her for what she's creating for network programming and viewership.

Regrets that I didn't read seven pages of posts before I posted this one. I understand I'm a guest. Hopefully a somewhat respected one.

But that's my theory . . . and I'm stickin with it. Ask away if you want info beyond what you'll get out of your neighbors at ESPN.

It is very sad that it is just ONE reporter who has insisted that Mulkey take a stand, and tell the university what she believes. It wasn't just the football program that was implicated, it was the entire university's treatment of women who were victimized by football programs. That's why Ken Starr, the university president, was forced to resign.

I don't understand why "Kim finally let it blow." Certainly, the way she "let it blow" shows what her real beliefs are. Sad that she didn't explode by expressing outrage at the way women were victimized twice- first by the football players who raped them, and then by the administration that ignored and belittled them.

Reaction Score
Senior night comments were post-game, center court with full team players, families of seniors, and 2-3,000+ remaining fans in seating behind the press table. The visual backdrop to Mulkey's "senior night" talk is the totally empty other half of 'Ferrell seating. You probably haven't seen /heard that 3o minute presentation of how these seniors have represented Baylor in a sports world gone wrong by lack of genuine male leadership. She talks through the careers of each senior and her value to the program, and then accepts a gift give her by the ladybear support club for this same night being her 500th win.. Brief presentation ceremony. Over in 30 minutes.

Comments about "move on; it's over" now being looped by ESPN occurred 30 minutes later in front of a double handful of press in a crowded, tiny media room where the previous mentioned ONE press corp guy (I think he's from Dallas), goaded her; physical background you see on ESPN to those words are a typical press conference backdrop no more than 12 inches behind where coaches typically give the local media a few NCAA-required minutes of game-speak and q/a.

Doesn't change the seriousness of faux paux of Kim Mulkey to national media; it DOES change the now erroneously growing narrative that somehow Km chose an audience of thousands of fans at senior night and derailed senior night to make her suppossed firestorm speech about moving beyond the whole scandal of social media and coach-seeech about it.

Perspective is a pretty big deal if you're going to negatively attack someone via professional media.

I start my teaching day in about an hour. Perhaps I'll see you guys later tonight or tomorrow.

skilz

Final Four Bound!
Reaction Score
What's sad is that NO ONE has reported the MANY times that Mulkey has made a stance and said what has happened at BU was horrible, and that she stands by the victims. NO ONE has reported the many times that Mulkey stated that BU needs to come clean, post the reports on the abuse, and do what's right for these victims. Kim's blow was aimed at 1 particular reporter who for over a year now as been a thorn in her side - and he was at this particular game. Many are making comments about her "violent" words - NO ONE reported anything when she said in her press conference after losing to Texas that "Texas came out and hit us in the mouth."

The fans of BU are behind Kim because they have witnessed the harassment she has received (for over a year now), over the scandal, when it had nothing to do with her and her program. It's a shame that someone as big as ESPN doesn't do their homework before turning this into something that it's not. Kim definitely chose the wrong "words" but make no mistake about it, she is 100% against what happened at the school! Kim

Reaction Score
Senior night comments were post-game, center court with full team players, families of seniors, and 2-3,000+ remaining fans in seating behind the press table. The visual backdrop to Mulkey's "senior night" talk is the totally empty other half of 'Ferrell seating. You probably haven't seen /heard that 3o minute presentation of how these seniors have represented Baylor in a sports world gone wrong by lack of genuine male leadership. She talks through the careers of each senior and her value to the program, and then accepts a gift give her by the ladybear support club for this same night being her 500th win.. Brief presentation ceremony. Over in 30 minutes.

Comments about "move on; it's over" now being looped by ESPN occurred 30 minutes later in front of a double handful of press in a crowded, tiny media room where the previous mentioned ONE press corp guy (I think he's from Dallas), goaded her; physical background you see on ESPN to those words are a typical press conference backdrop no more than 12 inches behind where coaches typically give the local media a few NCAA-required minutes of game-speak and q/a.

Doesn't change the seriousness of faux paux of Kim Mulkey to national media; it DOES change the now erroneously growing narrative that somehow Km chose an audience of thousands of fans at senior night and derailed senior night to make her suppossed firestorm speech about moving beyond the whole scandal of social media and coach-seeech about it.

Perspective is a pretty big deal if you're going to negatively attack someone via professional media.

I start my teaching day in about an hour. Perhaps I'll see you guys later tonight or tomorrow.

What's important is what she said. No amount of spinning can scrub out the fact of what she said. Punching parents in the face? "Faux pas?" No, an outrageous comment.

This scandal is just beginning. Law suits are just getting started, and the soft-peddling of this scandal by Pepper-Hamilton and the administration is going to be blown out of the water. Mulkey should not have said what she did just days after more outrages were revealed about the awful treatment of victims in the court filings demonstrates.

It's not over. It shouldn't be over. Mulkey's words weren't inadvertent.

Adesmar123

Can you say UConn? I knew you could!
Reaction Score
What's sad is that NO ONE has reported the MANY times that Mulkey has made a stance and said what has happened at BU was horrible, and that she stands by the victims. NO ONE has reported the many times that Mulkey stated that BU needs to come clean, post the reports on the abuse, and do what's right for these victims. Kim's blow was aimed at 1 particular reporter who for over a year now as been a thorn in her side - and he was at this particular game. Many are making comments about her "violent" words - NO ONE reported anything when she said in her press conference after losing to Texas that "Texas came out and hit us in the mouth."

The fans of BU are behind Kim because they have witnessed the harassment she has received (for over a year now), over the scandal, when it had nothing to do with her and her program. It's a shame that someone as big as ESPN doesn't do their homework before turning this into something that it's not. Kim definitely chose the wrong "words" but make no mistake about it, she is 100% against what happened at the school! Kim

Reasons are not excuses. Mulkey earns $1m to run the program and protect her team. She needs to think before speaking. Even if she said it to one rogue reporter, she said it publicly.

Reaction Score
On ESPN's "First Take" program, Steven A. Smith is expressing outrage at Mulkey. "I'm sorry. We're making this up?! In what world?!"

"We're looking at you and saying, what in God's name are you talking about?"

"How could you possibly dismiss it by coming to the defense of the university?"

"Your words are totally uncalled for."

Reaction Score
Molly Qerim, another ESPN First Take host just said, "I think she (Mulkey) should do her homework and find out what actually happened."

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score

There may be little reason to doubt the truth of the assertions contained in your post, particularly as a Baylor fan, but Kim is way too experienced and savvy to allow one reporter to get under her skin to this extent. She's been doing this for many years and she ought to know better by now. Dealing with the press is Coaching 101. Admittedly there are some coaches that do it way better than others, but she has had plenty of experience with it.

The way to diffuse this situation would have been to call the one reporter out, not to address whatever question he asked in front of all the cameras for the entire world to see and digest. I get that she was angry, but the simple and least controversial way to handle it would have been to suggest to the one reporter that he talk with her after the PC was concluded. Then they could have had it out with each other if they wanted to.

Instead, she decides to make some incredibly inappropriate and absurd remarks regarding the present state of affairs at Baylor for the world to hear. Nobody, outside of Baylor insiders, knew at the time her comments were made that they were directed at one reporter. Most folks probably still don't know.

Sorry, but she doesn't get a free pass just because she was angry at one reporter. I get why she's frustrated, as she should be, about other coaches out on the recruiting trail bashing the culture at Baylor, but she and Baylor have nobody to blame for that but Baylor. They collectively put themselves in the situation they're presently in. Whether Kim and her program had any part in it is beside the point. Baylor brought it all upon itself.

If Kim has been so vocal about how horrible the rape victims have been treated, and were going to make public remarks about the situation at a PC in front of the whole world, I find it puzzling that no matter how mad she was, she didn't at least preface her remarks by acknowledging the deplorable way the victims were treated. Also, her assurance that Baylor is now a perfectly safe campus to send your daughters to rings hollow, considering the Big 12 Conference is still witholding 25 percent of Baylor's conference revenue until they're satisfied that Baylor has complied with the steps necessary to insure that something like this never happens there again. I'd say that means it's an ongoing process.

Her apology even acknowledges that they still need to get to the bottom of what happened. You can't say that and at the same time also assure parents that everything is fine at Baylor.

skilz

Final Four Bound!
Reaction Score
UConnNick I agree with your statements. The reasoning doesn't make it right, but only an understanding into what was actually going on. Mulkey praised her coaches and team, especially the seniors for quite some time before this took place. Mulkey's staff highlighted her 500th career win with an emotional presentation that included her mother and kids. An emotional Mulkey allowed the comments, which could have been said much differently. Everyone has a breaking point but Kim is usually much better than this.

UConnNick

Reaction Score
UConnNick I agree with your statements. The reasoning doesn't make it right, but only an understanding into what was actually going on. Mulkey praised her coaches and team, especially the seniors for quite some time before this took place. Mulkey's staff highlighted her 500th career win with an emotional presentation that included her mother and kids. An emotional Mulkey allowed the comments, which could have been said much differently. Everyone has a breaking point but Kim is usually much better than this.

I have always liked Kim, and there's no question that she's a terrific coach. I ended up randomly sitting next to her and Leon Barmore when he was your assistant coach at the 2010 Final Four during the first half of the OU - Stanford game. It was hilarious because no matter what fouls were being called on both sides, she was doing a running monologue on how awful the calls were. I remember thinking that as bad as women's refs are, all the calls can't possibly be wrong, can they? Then with about two minutes left in the first half, Leon leaned back in his chair, looked over at me, and just rolled his eyes, as if to say, see what I have to deal with on a daily basis? I just smiled at him and nodded my head. It was priceless. It was all I could do to keep from bursting out laughing hysterically. I also have always liked Leon. He's really funny, and also a tremendous coach.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
On ESPN's "First Take" program, Steven A. Smith is expressing outrage at Mulkey. "I'm sorry. We're making this up?! In what world?!"

I saw his response to the question and he was mostly correct. Except perhaps his belief that her response (in light of a certain number of email's he'd received supposedly from either her or Waco) was directed at him. By the way, Smith was one of the first to say "These despicable acts are as bad as what happened at Penn State" and, "If this doesn't qualify for the death penalty, what does?"

JordyG

Reaction Score

By the way most of the other comments made by Smith about WCBB are execrable, inaccurate and (like Colin Cowherd) reflect a narrative informed by lazy journalism.

Adesmar123

Can you say UConn? I knew you could!
Reaction Score
By the way most of the other comments made by Smith about WCBB are execrable, inaccurate and (like Colin Cowherd) reflect a narrative informed by lazy journalism.

I can accept inaccurate, lazy but never execrable.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
On a lighter note, I find this photo from the Baylor-TxTech game kinda humorous. Looks like the ref almost got that knock in the face in a non-metaphorical way.

7Xa5oJ6.png

UConnNick

Reaction Score
I saw his response to the question and he was mostly correct. Except perhaps his belief that her response (in light of a certain number of email's he'd received supposedly from either her or Waco) was directed at him. By the way, Smith was one of the first to say "These despicable acts are as bad as what happened at Penn State" and, "If this doesn't qualify for the death penalty, what does?"

The conventional wisdom is that the NCAA will never use the "death penalty" again, no matter how egregious the violations may be. They effectively killed the SMU athletic program for many years and they supposedly don't want to ever do that to any school again.

I'm not saying I agree with mothballing it. There should be some form of major repercussions for repeat violators at a high level institutionally.

Reaction Score
This morning Dan Patrick did his obligatory Kim Mulkey bashing. He called her clueless - "even though we understand she lives a somewhat sheltered life inside the very university that is the problem." [paraphrased] He said the incident - and especially her cluelessness - was an embarrassment, and especially ridiculed her comment that Baylor's problems are no different than those at any other university, pointing out that most other universities have not removed their football coach, athletic director, Title IX coordinator and President for allowing and protecting a rape culture. He also said Kim would not lose her job, because of how good her coaching results were (my first reaction was, "Briles did," but I guess his actions were MUCH worse).

Although some of Patrick's comments were spot-on, it was obvious he had not even watched the actual videos and had just read brief excerpts. Clearly at a level even further removed from the context BaylorProf has provided than we are, having only watched the videos.

Whether all the criticism is justified or not, what Kim has done is bring further scrutiny of the whole Baylor situation to a wider audience. Probably a good thing, but I can't believe it will help her recruiting.

JordyG

Reaction Score
This morning Dan Patrick did his obligatory Kim Mulkey bashing. He called her clueless - "even though we understand she lives a somewhat sheltered life inside the very university that is the problem." [paraphrased] He said the incident - and especially her cluelessness - was an embarrassment, and especially ridiculed her comment that Baylor's problems are no different than those at any other university, pointing out that most other universities have not removed their football coach, athletic director, Title IX coordinator and President for allowing and protecting a rape culture. He also said Kim would not lose her job, because of how good her coaching results were (my first reaction was, "Briles did," but I guess his actions were MUCH worse).

Although some of Patrick's comments were spot-on, it was obvious he had not even watched the actual videos and had just read brief excerpts. Clearly at a level even further removed from the context BaylorProf has provided than we are, having only watched the videos.

Whether all the criticism is justified or not, what Kim has done is bring further scrutiny of the whole Baylor situation to a wider audience. Probably a good thing, but I can't believe it will help her recruiting.
As with Steven A. Smith and Colin Cowherd I despise lazy journalism. There are plenty of facts to criticize Mulkey and Baylor for. At least get that part right.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
As with Steven A. Smith and Colin Cowherd I despise lazy journalism. There are plenty of facts to criticize Mulkey and Baylor for. At least get that part right.

I just heard JIM ROME do his quickie sports take on the radio. Chastising Mulkey saying it would stick to her for a long time. Yeah we know it was an awful thing to say. She's apologized , let's move on.

The thing that really bugs me about hearing these national personalities weighing in, is they couldn't care LESS about women's basketball. I think the last time I heard Jim Rome comment on women's hoops was during the Nykesha Sales basket. The only time these guys say anything is when there's controversy. I don't think I heard as much from these guys about the 100 straight wins as I have about this. That's a disgrace all by itself.

Reaction Score
I just heard JIM ROME do his quickie sports take on the radio. Chastising Mulkey saying it would stick to her for a long time. Yeah we know it was an awful thing to say. She's apologized , let's move on.

The thing that really bugs me about hearing these national personalities weighing in, is they couldn't care LESS about women's basketball. I think the last time I heard Jim Rome comment on women's hoops was during the Nykesha Sales basket. The only time these guys say anything is when there's controversy. I don't think I heard as much from these guys about the 100 straight wins as I have about this. That's a disgrace all by itself.

But this isn't just about women's basketball. It's about a big-time football program, a big-time football university, and about a systematic attempt to sweep under the rug dozens of rapes, including gang rapes, committed by those football players. Since it's now taken the head of the athletic program, as well as the president of the university, it is national news. That's why Mulkey's voice, who is the most prominent women's coach at the university and in that athletic department, was so important. And why her remarks ignited such outrage.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Kim Mulkey was a human punching bag on Around The Horn this PM. Felt appropriate. One of them said, in part, Kim it isn't for you to say when it's over and get over it. Baylor is not the victim here. The victims will say when it is over. Thought that was well focused.

PS. BTW has Baylor come up with an action plan on this? I ask because poor little Montana U was made a national scandal over this 3 years ago and the DOJ got involved and they have this whole big plan, but the most common sense part of it is it doesn't stay in house, it is treated like it should be with the police, indictments, investigations,prosecutions etc. There is no immunity boundary at the university gate.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom