UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Sure.
-Walz has done a great job throughout the recruiting process
-They like that he has built a great program, put Louisville on the map
-Fan support
-Great conference
-Asia wants to win a NC and feels like she could be the missing piece for Louisville.

I agree with everything the family stated in the article. The interview was with the dad, not Asia. She has visited Maryland and Duke, will schedule the other 3. Looking at weekend of 10/17 for Louisville visit, but not finalized yet.

Thanks. One more question: as far as you know were the visits to Maryland and Duke recent?

Reaction Score
I think Stevens could have been just as good as Doty and Hayes under Geno's coaching. Stevens career numbers may be similar to Hayes (guessing) and of course better than Doty (due to injuries). let's not act like she was a slouch and she should've been POY over Buck (BTW where is DrewDog)
Heather had the misfortune of coming at the end of one All-American center's career and the beginning of another's. She was good, but not that good.

As a Stamfordian (?) I would have loved to see Da'Sheena at UConn - I always thought that she
could have made it there. But we also have to consider who UConn did take that year - and looking at those three, I can't argue that Da'Sheena was better than any of them and that she was bypassed...as good, potentially, perhaps - but not better.

And that gets back to the point - besides Da'Sheena, what other player from Connecticut has gone on to be a significant factor at the Division I level in the last couple of years?

P.S. Stamford produced another St. John's player - Briana Brown, who hit the game winning shot against USC in last year's NCAA tournament. Perhaps our conspiracy theorists can look into why Kim Barnes-Arico was targeting high school players in Stamford instead of New York...

Or why Geno let a player named "Briana" get away...

jennyo70

Loo'ville Lady
Reaction Score
I don't kn
Thanks. One more question: as far as you know were the visits to Maryland and Duke recent?
I don't know. "previously visited Duke and Maryland".

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I don't know. "previously visited Duke and Maryland".

Thanks. The reason I asked is because the family talked about taking a few visits a couple of years ago and I was trying to figure out if the reference is to those visits. I suspect it is.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
I realize that the State of CT doesn't produce many players that will have significant impact and become an All Conference player never mind an All American. However, the State does produce a number of Div 1 caliber players on a yearly basis. However, players like Bria Holmes who has a great chance of being an All American should be playing at UConn. From what I understand Bria was interested in UConn, but then Geno lost interest and stopped recruiting her. Kiah Gillespie also has potential All American talents.

You would think that a high number of talented CT HS players would love an opportunity to play for UConn. Close to home and odds are player will win a National Championship during their career. I'm not saying don't recruit nationally in an effort to get the best players, as that's what's necessary to win National Championships. However, why not have some scholarship players that are 10,11 or 12 on the depth chart be from the State of CT. CT HS Players Ranked in the Top 50 should be playing for UConn, unless the player doesn't want to attend UConn. Should own your home State. As I said, just a Pet Peeve of mind and BTW, I also think more Elite Programs should be doing the same, especially the schools that typically have 14/15 players on scholarship

I would also like to see UConn restart the annual Summer Camp in an effort to develop local talent. If Geno can't run it, get someone else to run it. Perhaps one of the Ass't Coaches or even a former player can run it. Scholarship Players attending Summer Sessions can work the camps like players at other schools do during their camps. Not mandatory, but an opportunity for the players to make money and talk to the camp attendees on what it takes to be a UConn player. Paraphrasing Geno has said that the CT HS System does not lend itself to creating great College players. I would think a camp using Geno/CD's Coaching Principles would help develop CT HS Players.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I don't know how else to say this but just because a kid is from CT and may even be 1 of the 3 players good enough in the entire state to make the UConn team does not mean that the possess the intangibles that Geno is looking for. Obviously there were things about Holmes and Gillespie that turned Geno off because trust me he is not going to let a girl that he believes has the makeup and talent to help the team leave his backyard. If you have not noticed by now Coach Auriemma likes to have a small roster of around 10 players. This years team is at 12 and that includes unknowns in Tuck and Williams and walk ons Pulido and Lawlor that may or not still play.

Summer camps are meant to be a fun getaway for kids and are basically useless for developing talent. The players do work a number of camps throughout the summer for other coaches.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
let's not act like she was a slouch and she should've been POY over Buck (BTW where is DrewDog)

Completely agree, Stevens was the best player in the state that year. It was actually a very good year for CT high school basketball, as far as the number of quality players who went D1 or competitive D2. Buck dominated for sure, but watching her play against the only other quality center in her conference (Nikkia Smith, Montville) a number of times, you could tell that her dominance was in large part credited to playing against much smaller teams. I was pulling for her at UConn but, as another poster mentioned, the cards were stacked against her given the other post talent at UConn.

jennyo70

Loo'ville Lady
Reaction Score
Thanks. The reason I asked is because the family talked about taking a few visits a couple of years ago and I was trying to figure out if the reference is to those visits. I suspect it is.
Well, I may have misquoted, here is the line in the article, specifically:
"Asia Durr has visited Maryland and Duke and is likely to see the other three schools."

A lot has gone on with those two programs in the last two years. If she has not visited them recently, I would think they are off the table. Sounds to me like she will only take 3 official visits. If true, it would seem odd to me to not take a paid trip to a school if you are seriously considering them. Of course, I guess she could have taken officials to Duke and Maryland since this past April.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
another thing to mention - Geno may stop recruiting a prospect if they show little or no interest - it may be that they don't want to stay in state, that when they take a good hard look at the program they decide it is not the place for them, he takes a good hard look at them and realizes they will be more successful in some other program, who knows?

UConn isn't for everyone.

All I know is: Geno goes and gets the players that fit his criteria and WANT TO COME TO UConn.

Folks can carry on as they will, but I for one have no issue with his choices for players.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Yep, and CT HS Players don't have what it takes to play at UConn. Sorry don't believe it. Geno does a great job at Recruiting and obviously his results prove that. I just believe more CT HS Players should get the opportunity to play at UConn and Geno does very little recruiting in the State of CT. Also UConn no longer holds camps in the Summer to even advise future College players what it takes to play at UConn and provide the instruction necessary for their development. If Geno because of his business interests and involvement with the Senior team doesn't have the time to hold Camps, then the Ass't Coaches could hold them. Also current players can work the camp and get paid for their time spent. UConn might be the only major WBB program that doesn't hold a Summer Camp. Summer Camps also helps grow WBB. Just a pet peeve of mind that most won't agree with.

I think you ought to petition Warde Manuel to fire Geno and replace him with someone more to your liking.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
And that gets back to the point - besides Da'Sheena, what other player from Connecticut has gone on to be a significant factor at the Division I level in the last couple of years?

P.S. Stamford produced another St. John's player - Briana Brown, who hit the game winning shot against USC in last year's NCAA tournament. Perhaps our conspiracy theorists can look into why Kim Barnes-Arico was targeting high school players in Stamford instead of New York...

Stamford IS New York ;)

Sharnice Beal at NCStae has an OK career
Symone Roberts at Providence was cool

only 2 that I can think of right now... but by UConn standards its hard to say who was successful and who wasnt.

if anyone goes to UConn they'll be coached up and apear to be somewhat successful. Jacque Fernandez (Im sure someone will correct the spelling) JF13 was considerd a success in my opinion at UConn, imagine if she went to UHart

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
As you know it stakes a special kind of player at UConn that will always put team first, work harder than anyone else, and do whatever it takes to be the best overall basketball player they can be. There are very few of these players out there that match this criteria, are good enough to play at UConn, and play a position of need.
Two words - Maria Conlon. Yes, a lot of her success came from playing alongside Diana Taurasi, but Diana didn't cause Maria to have 9 assists and 0 turnovers (and a bunch of timely steals) in the 2004 Final Four.

As to why Geno doesn't recruit certain girls, there are a bunch of reasons. Some, like Heather, don't really believe they're good enough to be at UConn. She was. Heather had a ton of untapped potential that we glimpsed from time to time but even Geno alluded to the fact that Heather needed to stop thinking so much.

Other girls have made it clear they want to get away from home (Stanford's Krista Rappahahn) or they don't want to play in the home-state fishbowl, preferring to start their own legacy elsewhere. A lot of players turn down UConn because they believe they'll just be "another" great player forever living in the shadow of Diana and Maya and most likely Breanna.

There are many, many reasons why Geno doesn't pursue certain players and they're as numerous and as different as the girls themselves. And he considers their positives and negatives as individuals, not as faceless recruits who either have a good jump shot or not. Too many times fan forum posters forget these are young women choosing a college where they'll play basketball, not choosing a basketball team where they'll take a few classes.

Reaction Score
I think Geno would recruit more in CT if there were more to recruit. Basketball in the state of Connecticut needs to raise their game so they get UConn's interest. Not the other way around.

It may be that the parents of this girl from Meriden could have been "too involved" for Geno's liking, much like her brother……….;)

Reaction Score
It may be that the parents of this girl from Meriden could have been "too involved" for Geno's liking, much like her brother……….;)

We've certainly seen how badly Geno reacts to overbearing parents. I don't blame him.

Reaction Score
We've certainly seen how badly Geno reacts to overbearing parents. I don't blame him.

Well knowing some guys who have done some refereeing when these kids were growing up in Meriden both said dad's pretty bad (with both kids) but mom's whacked……"my kids are the best and you treat them that way" tip of loud mouth! Not at all a fun person to have in the stands from my understanding and good sources too…….

Reaction Score
Well knowing some guys who have done some refereeing when these kids were growing up in Meriden both said dad's pretty bad (with both kids) but mom's whacked……"my kids are the best and you treat them that way" tip of loud mouth! Not at all a fun person to have in the stands from my understanding and good sources too…….

Accidentally came across this nonsense. After laughing... and then laughing some more (some really funny stuff, especially...'my kids are the best and you treat them that way'). Well, from some really, really good sources I heard that it was not true.

Reaction Score
No one said at all they that they were not good kids actually answering to that I also hear they are good kids.

Key to this is people that referee games as kids grow up like to be treated respectfully by those who watch from the stands and maybe the people in the stands should do just that - WATCH and not critique loudly, especially when they are still children! Words from people who think they know more from the stands don't go unnoticed.

Seriously I apologize if this was taken out of context other than the fact people were disrespected. Not once did anyone say the family was not a very good family, actually completely the opposite (talented as well). It ends here for me but my sources are real solid and I seriously wish for your daughter to do well as she is one of CT's own (meriden's for me) and no matter what's said here I hope she kicks butt. Past is the past……...

Reaction Score
No one said at all they that they were not good kids actually answering to that I also hear they are good kids.

Key to this is people that referee games as kids grow up like to be treated respectfully by those who watch from the stands and maybe the people in the stands should do just that - WATCH and not critique loudly, especially when they are still children! Words from people who think they know more from the stands don't go unnoticed.

Seriously I apologize if this was taken out of context other than the fact people were disrespected. Not once did anyone say the family was not a very good family, actually completely the opposite (talented as well). It ends here for me but my sources are real solid and I seriously wish for your daughter to do well as she is one of CT's own (meriden's for me) and no matter what's said here I hope she kicks butt. Past is the past……...

Thanks! No apology needed, blogs are about people's opinions. What made the entry worth commenting on was that the statements were just not true and my sources are really, really solid. Other than that, everyone is entitled to their opinion whether it is good, bad or indifferent. The past is the past... but let's not re-write it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom