Kiah Gillespie [merged thread] | The Boneyard

Kiah Gillespie [merged thread]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Per Jim Fuller blog, Kiah verballed to Maryland. Great move for her!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Congrats to Kiah and Maryland. I wonder if the Terps have a real chance with Asia Durr.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Why isn't Geno go after the best CT HS Players? He shouldn't be losing recruiting battles to other schools. Like Bria Holmes, Kiah is a potential All American Player or at least all conference player. Besides walk-ons there should be a couple of CT HS players on scholarship at UConn. Yes, its the players choice but I have the belief that Geno/Coaching Staff decide not to recruit CT players, more then the players not wanting to attend UConn.

I also realize Kiah does not play a position of urgent need based on recent recruiting classes.

Last edited:

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Some in the know, think that Maryland and ND have the best chance of landing Asia.

Congrats to Kiah and Maryland. I wonder if the Terps have a real chance with Asia Durr.

Reaction Score
I also realize Kiah does not play a position of urgent need based on recent recruiting classes.

I would be willing to bet that's just it. If they didn't have three forwards in the class of 2015, all ranked in the top ten in their class, you might have seen a harder recruiting job for Gillespie. I trust that the coaching staff saw who they wanted most, went after them, got them (at least with those three commits) and backed off of others that didn't fill remaining needs. I'm not sure it had much to do with whether they were from Connecticut, Alaska or anywhere else.

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
Some in the know, think that Maryland and ND have the best chance of landing Asia.
If so, I hope this goes better than our last head-to-head matchup for a top 10 player. Malina Howard hasn't done much with Maryland thus far, but posts take longer to develop.

Reaction Score
Why isn't Geno go after the best CT HS Players? He shouldn't be losing recruiting battles to other schools. Like Bria Holmes, Kiah is a potential All American Player or at least all conference player. Besides walk-ons there should be a couple of CT HS players on scholarship at UConn. Yes, its the players choice but I have the belief that Geno/Coaching Staff decide not to recruit CT players, more then the players not wanting to attend UConn.

As you know it stakes a special kind of player at UConn that will always put team first, work harder than anyone else, and do whatever it takes to be the best overall basketball player they can be. There are very few of these players out there that match this criteria, are good enough to play at UConn, and play a position of need.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Yep, and CT HS Players don't have what it takes to play at UConn. Sorry don't believe it. Geno does a great job at Recruiting and obviously his results prove that. I just believe more CT HS Players should get the opportunity to play at UConn and Geno does very little recruiting in the State of CT. Also UConn no longer holds camps in the Summer to even advise future College players what it takes to play at UConn and provide the instruction necessary for their development. If Geno because of his business interests and involvement with the Senior team doesn't have the time to hold Camps, then the Ass't Coaches could hold them. Also current players can work the camp and get paid for their time spent. UConn might be the only major WBB program that doesn't hold a Summer Camp. Summer Camps also helps grow WBB. Just a pet peeve of mind that most won't agree with.

As you know it stakes a special kind of player at UConn that will always put team first, work harder than anyone else, and do whatever it takes to be the best overall basketball player they can be. There are very few of these players out there that match this criteria, are good enough to play at UConn, and play a position of need.

Reaction Score
Yep, and CT HS Players don't have what it takes to play at UConn. Sorry don't believe it. Geno does a great job at Recruiting and obviously his results prove that. I just believe more CT HS Players should get the opportunity to play at UConn and Geno does very little recruiting in the State of CT. Also UConn no longer holds camps in the Summer to even advise future College players what it takes to play at UConn and provide the instruction necessary for their development. If Geno because of his business interests and involvement with the Senior team doesn't have the time to hold Camps, then the Ass't Coaches could hold them. Also current players can work the camp and get paid for their time spent. UConn might be the only major WBB program that doesn't hold a Summer Camp. Summer Camps also helps grow WBB. Just a pet peeve of mind that most won't agree with.

Why would he or his assistant coaches waste time in CT recruiting when there is probably 1 or 2 players in the entire state that would even make the UConn team. Geno and his assistants are not sitting around going to the beach everyday, they are out recruiting at tournaments throughout the country where the players are good enough to play at UConn.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
I believe that UConn has interest in 2016 Desiree Elmore...a guard teammate of Kiah Gillespie at Cap Prep.
That team should be a national factor this coming season.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Wbbfan1 said:

You are forgetting one important thing:
Geno recruits the player. he does not recruit based upon where the player comes from

(...or he does not recruit the player based upon from where they come)

ANYway....

He worked hard and built this program to become a national power thus giving him the ability to recruit nationally. therefore he looks at the players determines whether or not he feels they are of the UConn mold and decides goes after them - or not.

Where they are from is irrelevant...

Last edited:

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Congrats to Kiah! UCONN never really recruited her. I know obviously Maryland was after her, as was Tennessee. I tried to look up what other schools were on her list, but I did not see any...

Side note - in addition to Elmore, UCONN has incoming freshman Sadie Edwards from Meriden, CT. Really, the only local kid I regret we did not pursue harder was Bria Holmes. She's having a terrific career at WVU, though, and I'm glad she's having so much success. At the time, I believe Geno felt that Diamond was coming to UCONN, so that may be why he backed off on Bria. As for Kiah, she's a 6'1" forward. We already have a trio of kids 6'1", 6'2", and 6'3"+ in Collier, Boykin and Samuelson. I don't see where Kiah would have gotten any playing time at UCONN.

Personally, I'd rather land Joyner Holmes in 2016 as a 6'3" forward than Gillespie, a 6'1" forward...

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score
Really was hoping she'd come to RU to replace Laney next year. Congrats, Kiah. See you in the B1G

LesMis89

Dedicated Lurker
Reaction Score
I think Geno would recruit more in CT if there were more to recruit. Basketball in the state of Connecticut needs to raise their game so they get UConn's interest. Not the other way around.

Reaction Score
...but I have the belief that Geno/Coaching Staff decide not to recruit CT players, more then the players not wanting to attend UConn.
It's an interesting "belief" based on...nothing. While I'm sure that there are many kids in Connecticut that would love to play at UConn, as many others have posted, that talent level is just not that high here. UConn signed the best center in the state back in 2008, but the best center in the country signed in 2009. Should Geno really have passed on Stefanie because she grew up across the Hudson? I’m pretty sure that there hasn’t been a better in-state wing than Breanna, also from the other side of the Hudson; or (other than Jen) better point guards from in-state than Sue and Bria from across the Sound. The real answer is that UConn does recruit locally, but those recruits rarely live within the small geographic boundaries of the Nutmeg State.

Stamford Catholic's Da'Sheena Stevens was great at St. John's but would you have passed on Caroline or Tiffany to get her? Seriously?

Here's a real good reality check: If UConn is really ignoring the in-state talent, who has Geno missed out on? Name a player of national significance from the state of Connecticut since Maria Conlan...

Yeah, that's what I thought.

Reaction Score

I think that Geno avoids Connecticut players because of previous bad experiences, particularly in the case of Nykesha Sales. Obviously you know that this is meant facietiously since I'm sure you know that Ms Sales was a superb player and one of Geno's all time favorites. I'm absolutely sure that there is no conscious effort to ignore homegrown talent and were there to be a Maya Moore clone in Connecticut, I'm inclined to think Geno would have made a concerted effort to recruit her. Don't you??? I think that all the criteria that Geno and Chris use to tag potential Huskie players (along with the rest of the staff) talent, attitude and of course, needs, seem to have worked against heavily recruiting Connecticut talent rather than a bias against anyone.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Stamford Catholic's Da'Sheena Stevens was great at St. John's but would you have passed on Caroline or Tiffany to get her? Seriously

Yeah, that's what I thought.
I think Stevens could have been just as good as Doty and Hayes under Geno's coaching. Stevens career numbers may be similar to Hayes (guessing) and of course better than Doty (due to injuries). let's not act like she was a slouch and she should've been POY over Buck (BTW where is DrewDog)

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
No reason for Louisville to be counted out based on predictions you read on this board, most of which have little to do with reality.

The link doesn't work (at least for me). Can you summarize what she likes about Louisville?

With U of L, her father said Asia Durr "really likes" a number of things the Cardinals bring to the table for her career.

"We like what coach (Jeff) Walz has built," Terry Durr said. "He's put them on the map.

"They play in front of a lot of people and they play in a great conference. Asia's goal is to get to college and win a championship and she feels like she can be the missing piece at Louisville and help them win a title."

jennyo70

Loo'ville Lady
Reaction Score
Sure.
-Walz has done a great job throughout the recruiting process
-They like that he has built a great program, put Louisville on the map
-Fan support
-Great conference
-Asia wants to win a NC and feels like she could be the missing piece for Louisville.

I agree with everything the family stated in the article. The interview was with the dad, not Asia. She has visited Maryland and Duke, will schedule the other 3. Looking at weekend of 10/17 for Louisville visit, but not finalized yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom