Kia Nurse? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Kia Nurse?

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Ankles get weak when they keep getting sprained repeatedly - if she doesn't rest it and heal fully it will just be more prone to moderate and serious sprains. It's a slippery slope.
Indeed. I've heard of athletes that have had to deal with badly sprained ankles for years. It's an injury that needs time and care to heal, and young players frequently haven't the time or patience for either.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Indeed. I've heard of athletes that have had to deal with badly sprained ankles for years. It's an injury that needs time and care to heal, and young players frequently haven't the time or patience for either.
Luckily though, at UCONN the playing decisions are not up to the individual players or even the coaches, but rather left to medical & training staff. UCONN medical and training staff =the best available.

Reaction Score
The same person he did when she got her 4th foul in the @FSU game?

Bent has not even come close to have proven that she is ready to play crucial minutes in a close game.

Reaction Score
Bent has not even come close to have proven that she is ready to play crucial minutes in a close game.
My point was Lou wasn't taken out in that game. She came over to the side during a stoppage and said to Geno that she had 4 fouls and he told her that's not his fault and made her stay out there and that was late 3rd quarter/early 4th IIRC.

Reaction Score
You do know this was irony, right?

When I read it again I picked up on it right away. HoopsFan21 response to you threw me off the first time I read it. I was dealing with another situation today that involved crossing boundaries, which is one of my pet peeves so it tripped a trigger.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Luckily though, at UCONN the playing decisions are not up to the individual players or even the coaches, but rather left to medical & training staff. UCONN medical and training staff =the best available.
But even with excellent after care I've seen these sort of injuries last. My fingers are bonded in a crossed position on this.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I decline to even presume to "advise" Geno and his staff on whether or not to play Kia for these upcoming games. They'll make the right call, I'm sure. But the very tenor of the discussion we're having here is a testament to the kind of "tough-as-nails" player we all know her to be, and her likely negative reaction to being held out. One need not look very far around the landscape of WCBB to understand the importance of such a player to any team's success. As Margo so eloquently frames it, Tennessee looks like it could use a bit of that kind of grit!

BP, We're just a group of fans trading thoughts and ideas among ourselves. I appreciate your posture on this topic. We're not trying to tell or suggest how Geno should do anything. I doubt he ever comes to the yard. And even if he did, I doubt he'd take anything he read here seriously. Everything written here is for OUR consumption only. UConn fans that post here I'm sure respect Geno, and recognizes that he knows what he's doing.

In Geno we trust!
. We're just talking among ourselves, tossing some ideas back and forth, that's all. That's why we are some of the most informed fans in the country. Because we talk to each other, and share our thoughts and observations with each other. I don't know everything. I've learned a lot from being here, and reading the posts and comments by people that are closer to the program than I am. My comment was directed to Javaman, not Geno.

Thank you for your input. I always enjoy reading your posts.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
We'll know just before game time.

If Kia's ankle is stable, then she plays.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score

Are you sure about that
It sounds like KLS talked herself into at least one game.

Reaction Score
Can't imagine why she would be needed for at least the next 2 games. Bench her, and let her heal and be 100% for tournament time.
I agree. I would leave her in Connecticut for the trip to Tulane. Although, who would be willing to miss New Orleans?

Reaction Score
My point was Lou wasn't taken out in that game. She came over to the side during a stoppage and said to Geno that she had 4 fouls and he told her that's not his fault and made her stay out there and that was late 3rd quarter/early 4th IIRC.
I thoughtgt that was so "Geno being Geno" ... late against FSU, close game, KLS picked up a ?? Foul and said to Geno it was her 4th. Geno said not my problem... in other words, stay in, play smart, let's see how u play with foul trouble. And of course being 1st game of year, he wasn't ready to put in any bench players other than Nat until he was forced to.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
About Kia. Go back and look at some of the games in which she has a breakaway layup. She sometimes takes as many as four or five steps just before she lays it up. Look at the DePaul game in the first quarter. She took five steps and nothing was called. She takes more than two steps quite often.

Reaction Score
I agree, but I don't think it will be an easy task for Geno to convince her not to start after 100 consecutive starts.
Geno usually defers, publicly at least, to what the medical staff advises.

Reaction Score
Just saw a facebook post of a Justine Ward tweet that Kia is out for the game today and is in a walking boot!
upload_2017-2-18_12-15-21.png

Reaction Score
Probably the smartest move that Geno and UCONN can make. UCONN, even without Kia Nurse, can easily take down Tulane. They have that much talent. Its better to make sure that Kia and her ankle is 100% going in the AAC Playoffs and into the NCAAA's. So, the Starting Five for tonight should be KLS, Collier, Chong, Williams and Dangerfield, with Butler, Bent, Irwin see a tremendous amount of PT, especially in the 2nd Half. I would even suspect that Tierney will see about 4 to 6 minutes of Playing Time in the 4th Quarter.

Reaction Score
Good, no need to be a hero vs Tulane. Get Kia back healthy and ready for the tournament run. Opportunity for Danger & maybe Molly to step up.
Seems to me Molly will have to play at least 10 minutes to give the two guards a rest. She certainly will have an opportunity to show what she can do tonight.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Don't think it's 100 consecutive starts on account of the two seniors nights. I think the bigger thing on Kia's mind is that she has played in all 100 games of the winning streak. Wouldn't be surprised if Geno puts her in for a few minutes of garbage time near the end of the next couple of games so she can keep that going. I could get behind that, though not anything much more ambitious. Rest up and take care of that ankle, Kia.
The only start she missed during the 100 was her freshman year senior night - Kiah, KML, Stewart, Jefferson, and Tuck started that game. Her Sophomore year it was Stewart, Tuck, Jefferson, Pulido, and Nurse.

Reaction Score
About Kia. Go back and look at some of the games in which she has a breakaway layup. She sometimes takes as many as four or five steps just before she lays it up. Look at the DePaul game in the first quarter. She took five steps and nothing was called. She takes more than two steps quite often.

I can't help but wonder why this post is necessary. The coaches will have had almost three years to correct this problem and at least one ref would have called it by now. In other news, I watched the USC replay and this kid was hobbling almost from the moment she entered the game and her struggle was evident. She had to play, though, and she gave it a solid effort, reentering late in the game to nail a three to help seal it. Now she's paying the price, and likely the loss of her part in a continuing win streak as well as a result

Reaction Score
Bad news that Kia is hurt but great news ta no one is thinking of playing her. They do not need her tonight and ankle injuries can be damned difficult to heal. Best to let that happen over then next 2, 3 or 4 games.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom