Keys to winning in Charleston | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Keys to winning in Charleston

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Passing on offense. When our offense gets stagnant, we score less, and that leads to transition opportunities the other way.

At the end of the 1st half against Florida, we were really moving the ball and scoring, which gave us energy to get stops and prevent runouts, and then we moved the ball more, etc. It's a positive reinforcing cycle.

In the 2nd half, we took a bunch of bad midrange jumpers and they made a comeback run.

Always the key, and probably what we were worst at over the last three seasons. It's been awful. But it's not just passing, it's motion without the ball on offense. Passing is useless if our players are virtual statues and are as easily defended as one. We were horrific away from the ball against St. Joes.

Play tough, hard nosed UConn D, hit the boards and play better off the ball. That's my three keys to victory.

Reaction Score
I loved that Hurley drew up an alley oop on the first possession for Akok to get the crowd going even though it didn't work. Hope we don't shy away from that and we will be using it a ton next year with Jackson.

Florida had 6 open threes that game, we had 7. We shot far lower than our percentage than they did. Three point D has been a problem for years but it wasn't that game, we won because of our defense.

Yup. And if Florida was a good 3 point shooting team we would have lost. As I noted they aren’t good from distance. Our defense was good but it’s still something we need to improve on throughout the season.

Reaction Score
Yup. And if Florida was a good 3 point shooting team we would have lost. As I noted they aren’t good from distance. Our defense was good but it’s still something we need to improve on throughout the season.
And if we shoot our typical percentage as does Florida we win by 8 instead of 3. Again, three point defense has been a problem over the years and needs to be cleaned up but it wasn't a problem against Florida.

Reaction Score
Come out playing defense the way we did vs. Fl. . Feed on the good feeling of winning

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
rebounding to start the running game
perimeter D and practice the zone so when you decide to use it the players don't look at each other with their thumbs up their arses
don't use hockey line changes when substituting
concentrate on the team and players not the refs
if Carleton is not doing it - get Pork Chop in there right away

Reaction Score
Always the key, and probably what we were worst at over the last three seasons. It's been awful. But it's not just passing, it's motion without the ball on offense. Passing is useless if our players are virtual statues and are as easily defended as one. We were horrific away from the ball against St. Joes.

This is a very good point. Greenberg was getting on Carlton for not passing out of double teams against Fla. But most of the time no one was moving on the perimeter to give him a passing lane. He had nowhere to go but up.

Reaction Score
And if we shoot our typical percentage as does Florida we win by 8 instead of 3. Again, three point defense has been a problem over the years and needs to be cleaned up but it wasn't a problem against Florida.

lol no****. I refer to my original post. Need to defend the three. We agree.

Reaction Score
The biggest jump we could make other than Bouknight being the second coming of a Ray Allen is Akok knocking down some corner threes.
Thats a double barrel leap as it not only gives us another shooter but teams have to think twice about doubling Carlton.
That makes us an entirely different team.

Reaction Score
Have Chief grind off the court to ensure the other team gets hammered the night before each game

Reaction Score
I loved that Hurley drew up an alley oop on the first possession for Akok to get the crowd going even though it didn't work. Hope we don't shy away from that and we will be using it a ton next year with Jackson.

Florida had 6 open threes that game, we had 7. We shot far lower than our percentage than they did. Three point D has been a problem for years but it wasn't that game, we won because of our defense.
How many open threes did St Joes have?

StepbackCity

I like winning
Reaction Score
Being able to be fully prepared for 3 games in 4 days. We can beat any of the teams in this field when fully prepped and ready to go.

Reaction Score
What I want to see this tournament:

1) Better Offensive Purpose
2) Way more efficiency from 'Rique
3) Rebounding
4) Bouknight more open shot attempts taken and created than turnovers. Freshman woes are a thing for guards first outings.

Reaction Score
Turnovers.

I see us getting by Buffalo w/o to much trouble.
Xavier is the match up that I am looking forward to. The game would be a good test to see how we play against another ranked team.They have a top pressure D that likes to create turnovers. If we can limit turnovers (8-10) and maximize on the number of offensive possessions I like our chances against them.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
1) Score more points than the opponent.
In our best years, we've more notably limited opponents to fewer points, but either works for me.

Just saw, btw, that Florida is up 41-25 at halftime against St. Joe's. 7-18 from 3 vs. 1-14.Go figure.

Reaction Score
In our best years, we've more notably limited opponents to fewer points, but either works for me.

Just saw, btw, that Florida is up 41-25 at halftime against St. Joe's. Go figure.
St. Joe's is horrible and Florida is good, not at all surprising.

Reaction Score
Think the key number to this game is 10.
-don't let them score more than 10 three pointers
-don't give up more than 10 offensive rebounds
-don't commit more than 10 turnovers

Buffalo made 10 3's against Dartmouth (L), 16 against Nazareth, and 13 against Harvard.
We're way bigger than they are, can't afford to give up o-boards and let them have second chance looks at 3.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom