Keys to winning in Charleston | The Boneyard

Keys to winning in Charleston

amidagoat

Amida was the goat
Reaction Score
Sunday against FL was very encouraging following last Wednesday's shitshow. We still have a lot of work to do. What does the BY think keys to making a splash in Charleston and picking up a few quality W's are?

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
1. 3pt defense: Recover quicker. Get around screens quicker. And be on lock on those guys out there.

It's been our achilles heal forever.

2. Bouk breaking guys down and getting his own shots. Opens things up for everyone else.

Need CV and Polley getting open looks consistently.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
We should consider sets where send out just Bouknight. Having other guys on the floor will just limit his touches.

Ref: "Uh coach you need four more"

1574268356018.png

"My team's on the floor"

Reaction Score
1) rebound.... rebound... and yup, rebound some more. Can’t lose in this stat column. CRASH BOARDS AND BOX OUT, PLEASE
2) defend the freakin three! We were lucky against Florida. They are a bad 3pt shooting team.
3) Ball movement in-and-out. This worked well against Florida and SHU.
4) Control the tempo of the game but come out fast.
5) Use the depth with Bouk back - give him 10-12mins of adjusting based on score. He may start... we shall see.

pros: we have length in guards and at the 4. Sid and BAdams click well off bench. Akok is showing signs of improvement game by game.

cons: rebounding and 3pt defense struggles. Vital needs to maintain composure. He and Al need to lead huddle.

Reaction Score
Rebounding. Our fortunes will be closely tied to how well we rebound.

Bouknight Integration. If he has a big impact, he changes the whole team dynamic.

Getting off to a decent start each game.

Defensive intensity that looks similar to the Florida game.

If those 4 things happen we will be a tough out.

Reaction Score
I loved that Hurley drew up an alley oop on the first possession for Akok to get the crowd going even though it didn't work. Hope we don't shy away from that and we will be using it a ton next year with Jackson.
1) rebound.... rebound... and yup, rebound some more. Can’t lose in this stat column. CRASH BOARDS AND BOX OUT, PLEASE
2) defend the freakin three! We were lucky against Florida. They are a bad 3pt shooting team.
3) Ball movement in-and-out. This worked well against Florida and SHU.
4) Control the tempo of the game but come out fast.
5) Use the depth with Bouk back - give him 10-12mins of adjusting based on score. He may start... we shall see.

pros: we have length in guards and at the 4. Sid and BAdams click well off bench. Akok is showing signs of improvement game by game.

cons: rebounding and 3pt defense struggles. Vital needs to maintain composure. He and Al need to lead huddle.
Florida had 6 open threes that game, we had 7. We shot far lower than our percentage than they did. Three point D has been a problem for years but it wasn't that game, we won because of our defense.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
I loved that Hurley drew up an alley oop on the first possession for Akok to ge the crowd going even though it didn't work. Can

Florida had 6 open threes that game, we had 7. We shot far lower than our percentage than they did. Three point D has been a problem for years but it wasn't that game, we won because of our defense.
Same play we opened up with against cuse last year... but Al hammered it last year

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I loved that Hurley drew up an alley oop on the first possession for Akok to ge the crowd going even though it didn't work. Can

Same play we opened up with against cuse last year... but Al hammered it last year

Too bad the pass was a foot too low. Run it from the left side tomorrow.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
But will Hurley give Bouk permission to drive?
Hard to say. He has unlimited range so Hurley might just green light him to shoot on first touch.

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
1. Have Bouknight drive like a maniac through the lane all night.

2.Avoid the officials calling penalties.

3. Play good full court defense.

Reaction Score
Avoid the trap/letdown after the FL win. Build on it rather than rest on it. I think the key indicator will be the intensity of their defense in the first few minutes against Buffalo. First game away from home. I don't expect their offensive efficiency to be great to start. 4-2 or 5-4 - a score along those lines will be fine at the first tv timeout.

Reaction Score
Simply come out of the locker room with ENERGY. Hard work on the defense and even small contributions from the subs coming in will go a long way.

And AG hitting some shots would be appreciated.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

But it doesn't matter what they give up. It only matters what we give up. Other teams might give up only two. And if we're still giving up 6+, we're dead in the water if someone shoots reasonably. This is not like rebounding where it's either/or.

RE Florida. It matters who the shooter was, not based on a generalized team %. If you give up 10 open three pointers to a 10% 3pt shooter, you are winning. At this particular part of the season, giving up an open three to Gilbert is a win for the other team right now. That's what they should be doing. I was saying during the game, they should double Carlton inside with Gilbert's man. Let him shoot outside all day. It's a statistical advantage.

Aside: where did you source your open three stats from? I can't be bothered to watch the game again.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
3 point defense is the most important. Those threes are killers. Still don’t get why we can’t defend them. I get not getting tons of board because of our team makeup but don’t understand why we can’t defrnd the 3. And god I wish AG wud develop an el Amin floater

Reaction Score
But it doesn't matter what they give up. It only matters what we give up. Other teams might give up only two. And if we're still giving up 6+, we're dead in the water if someone shoots reasonably. This is not like rebounding where it's either/or.

And at this particular part of the season, giving up an open three to Gilbert is a win for the other team right now. That's what they should be doing. I was saying during the game, they should double Carlton inside with Gilbert's man. Let him shoot outside all day. It's a statistical advantage.

Aside: where did you source your open three stats from? I can't be bothered to watch the game again.
I watched the game again.

Of course it matters what they give up compared to what we give up in context of that game. We gave up less open threes to a far worse shooting three point team than they did, it's why you making the three point line a thing about how we got lucky that game is so stupid.

We already went through this a bunch of times, our three point D was fine that game and you say they shot 3's badly because they're a bad shooting team, news at 11...yet you still make it out like we got lucky. It doesn't compute. We won the game with our D.

Reaction Score
Passing on offense. When our offense gets stagnant, we score less, and that leads to transition opportunities the other way.

At the end of the 1st half against Florida, we were really moving the ball and scoring, which gave us energy to get stops and prevent runouts, and then we moved the ball more, etc. It's a positive reinforcing cycle.

In the 2nd half, we took a bunch of bad midrange jumpers and they made a comeback run.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom