Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 654 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Rutgers, Northwestern, Illinois, Minnesota, Maryland, Vandy, Mizzou, BYU, Houston, Cinci, UCF, you name it. There are a bunch of dead weight schools that will offer nothing to these conferences going forward. Our only hope is that the scummy suits decide to kick schools out that don't pull their weight in the future.
I believe they need the Ws- so they stay and in the next media deal they change the formula to base plus incentives to push cash to the big boys.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Houston is honestly pretty damn solid at most major sports and has tradition in basketball and football. Why boneyarders treat them like Rutgers south is a mystery to me.

Agree on northwestern, RU, Vandy, etc
Their tradition in basketball and football happened when I was a little kid or even before that...

... and I'm not a young man...

Reaction Score
For what it’s worth, about an hour ago I privately spoke with someone who would actually know what the heck happened, and he told me ‘UConn was used as a leverage ploy and only as a leverage ploy. They never had any intention of extending an invite. All that Yormark posturing and visiting Storrs? Yup, that was entirely a calculated move.’

So there ya go. I hope Yormark gets his you know what kicked to the curb one day. I will actively be rooting for his downfall. He’s a snake
Very unprofessional. Should never burn bridges.

Obviously that’s the way this game is played.

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
We are much worse, actually. There was another wave of realignment, 4 seats were taken away, and we are still are on outside looking in as an afterthought. After today, there is no real clear path to the P4. That is crushing.
I think it’s too soon to frame it this way. Yes, we took a tough punch, but not as bad as the remaining PAC schools. Plus, the future of those remaining schools and the ACC issues mean there is still entropy in the system. We lost a battle today but the war continues

Reaction Score
Completely agree Yormark had his vision shredded. This was always a fluid situation but boy once these guys had their chance they fell right back into the predictable mindless thought process. I believe we did what we could but DB was given some bad news yesterday and did a sloppy job trying to sugar coat it. I hope our guys have chips on their shoulders. We could use a good start to the FB season.
Yormark simply didn’t have what it takes to get his vision through. Forever known as Fredo to me.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
Their tradition in basketball and football happened when I was a little kid or even before that...

... and I'm not a young man...

They’re great at basketball now, too. They are not, and never will be, a blue blood…but they’re a good program.

Jimbo

Running to Stand Still
Reaction Score
I hate that I think this. But our best chance to avoid a long, slow decline (and being on the wrong side of the Great Schism of college sports, whatever form it takes whenever it occurs) is probably the damn Big 12 again.

Maybe they continue being aggressive and decide to add another pair of schools sometime in the next couple years, to keep pace with whatever the Big 10 and SEC are cooking up. And maybe it happens when Mora is still here and our football team is looking good. And maybe Yormark is still around, and maybe the presidents are smart enough to listen to him this time and figure out that "coast to coast" doesn't mean "locking down the entire state of Utah from the Nevada coast to the Colorado coast." And so maybe they vote to add UConn and some school on the West Coast like SDSU. And of course I recognize this is too many maybes to hope for, but it's still the best chance I can see for us.

I do not see another path. I don't think the ACC makes any additions before FSU et al. find a way to weasel their way out of the GOR. After that happens and all hell breaks loose, the remnants of the burnt-out Zombie ACC might finally get around to inviting us, but at that point being a member of the burnt-out Zombie ACC won't be worth a lot. And it won't put us on the right side of the Great Schism when it happens.

As others have said, we will be fine in the very short term. But nothing here bodes well for the long term. I hope I am wrong.

Reaction Score
Houston is honestly pretty damn solid at most major sports and has tradition in basketball and football. Why boneyarders treat them like Rutgers south is a mystery to me.

Maybe at the Grand Old Opry but not a Radio City Music Hall

Reaction Score
How is everyone feeling tonight? Are we finally getting over the breakup?
Yeah. Why? Because we are not alone, so many other fan bases can’t be feeling good about their long term prospects. Even if their ticket’s been punched. I’d rather be a Gonzaga fan than a Minnesota fan.

Last edited:

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
They’re great at basketball now, too. They are not, and never will be, a blue blood…but they’re a good program.
There are plenty of good programs. That's not what we're talking about. We're talking about great programs.

Nobody can argue that Houston is a great program in anything. But I have a very easy time arguing that UConn is a great program in multiple things...

Reaction Score
Gotta love this from ESPN: "The four schools in the most precarious situations are Cal, Oregon State, Stanford and Washington State, all of which are without a natural landing spot that would ensure their long-term stability."

Apparently, these same people don't care about UConn's long-term stability as the same advised not to move to the B12.

For the last time, F F F ESPiN.

Reaction Score

Houston basketball is only good because of Kelvin Sampson. They were largely irrelevant for decades before he got there. He's old now and when he retires soon I expect them to be a middle of the pack team in a stacked Big 12.

They had two phenomenal seasons in football over the last decade, but outside of that they've been anywhere between mediocre-above average.

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
Completely disagree.

That is like saying that 24 hours ago I was lost and drifted out to sea and barely treading water and struggling to stay alive. Now, 24 hours later I am in the same position, stuck at sea and no worse that I was 24 hours ago.

But you are missing the point that during the last 24 hours the Coast Guard rescue boat passed you by without seeing you and is returning to shore and your body is now freezing cold, you are water logged, exhausted, and now 24 hours closer to the maximum time you can survive without food and water.

So no, we aren’t in the same position we were 24 hours ago. The last rescue boat has passed you by and you are one day closer to your eventual drowning.
Yes this hurts, but there are still moves in the future. The 4 remaining PAC schools have lost a lot and are going to look for a solution. The ACC schools (FSU, etc) are grumbling. We all know our strengths (hoops, location, academics) and our weakness (historically terrible football over the last 10 years). If we get a few solid football seasons and maintain in the other sports, we will be in a stronger position the next time openings happen. We are poised for that outcome.

Reaction Score
The 24 team model makes sense. Who do have the SEC taking?

First will be Virginia Tech as it opens the DC market for the SEC and the folks in Richmond will be OK as UVA is likely to go to the B1G. I think NC State goes to the SEC, too, especially if UNC and Duke go to the B1G. Now, those two, who I see as a package deal, are on the line between the SEC and B1G with Duke’s academic and basketball side more drawn to the B1G while culturally UNC is closer to the SEC. Louisville slimes its way in as Kentucky does not have enough clout in the SEC to keep them out and that rivalry, especially in basketball, will generate TV cash. Florida State and Clemson are the next most logical. Would adding them help keep the B1G out of those markets, especially Florida, be worth upsetting U Florida and South Carolina respectively? Both Syracuse and Pitt have outside shots if the SEC wants a brand in NYC (Syracuse) and/or the Mid-Atlantis and Midwest (Pitt). U Miami has less of a chance than Syracuse and Pitt as it adds nothing while Wake has less of a chance than that, especially if the SEC gets UNC, Duke, and NC State. Catholic BC in liberal Boston has zero chance. Georgia Tech will join UVA in the B1G.

So maybe these 8 to get to 24– 1) Virginia Tech, 2) NC State, 3) UNC, 4) Duke, 5) Clemson, 6) Florida State, 7) Louisville, 8) Pittsburgh.

This may actually work best for UConn as it takes pieces off of the table for the B1G’s final 6. Say the B1G takes 1) Stanford and 2) Cal soon as the PAC falls apart. That leaves 4 slots for when the ACC gets raided. The first three would be 1) UVA 2) Georgia Tech, and 3) ND. That leaves 1 slot for UConn to fight over with Syracuse and BC unless the B1G gives a middle finger to the XII by going after Colorado or the SEC with Missouri.

Reaction Score
My only question really is Clemson. It depends on whether the SEC wants to duplicate a small state.
It’s worked for the SEC in Alabama (Alabama and Auburn) and Mississippi (Ole Miss and Miss St.), two states that are smaller than South Carolina, which is also growing rapidly in the Charlotte and Greenville metros where Clemson is big.

Reaction Score
Yes this hurts, but there are still moves in the future. The 4 remaining PAC schools have lost a lot and are going to look for a solution. The ACC schools (FSU, etc) are grumbling. We all know our strengths (hoops, location, academics) and our weakness (historically terrible football over the last 10 years). If we get a few solid football seasons and maintain in the other sports, we will be in a stronger position the next time openings happen. We are poised for that outcome.
Next time things open though is 2036

Reaction Score
The hope is that this puts a little pressure on the ACC to break apart. The top programs are getting tired of falling behind financially. Oregon and Washington moving to the B1G eliminates half the spots on the way to 20 (with Notre Dame being 19), putting more pressure on the secondary schools to ensure they make the SEC/B1G cut.

If it happens soon (next year or so), the GFY XVI will busy digesting desert schools and the AAC, and not ready to add schools again from this side of the Mississippi and the ACC might be looking to add schools, which provides another opportunity for the ACC to pass on UConn.

Or not.

Reaction Score
It’s worked for the SEC in Alabama (Alabama and Auburn) and Mississippi (Ole Miss and Miss St.), two states that are smaller than South Carolina, which is also growing rapidly in the Charlotte and Greenville metros where Clemson is big.
But those are legacy teams.

Mississippi State is not invited into today's SEC. Just like Memphis or VT or NC State.

Reaction Score
For what it’s worth, about an hour ago I privately spoke with someone who would actually know what the heck happened, and he told me ‘UConn was used as a leverage ploy and only as a leverage ploy. They never had any intention of extending an invite. All that Yormark posturing and visiting Storrs? Yup, that was entirely a calculated move.’

So there ya go. I hope Yormark gets his you know what kicked to the curb one day. I will actively be rooting for his downfall. He’s a snake
So a pox on the Big 12. I am not sad, I am mad that we went this fire drill yet again. It wasn't going to be ideal, but it would be a lot better than being stuck in a one-dimensional, small Catholic school conference. I am afraid FB is on death row. Too bad - we were turning it around.

Well, as far as CR is concerned - the constant going forward will be change... Something will happen again soon. I expect that the ACC is prime for the next upheaval. If the Big is going to 18 can the SEC far behind?
The SEC is where the money is the biggest and FSU and Clemson want a piece. ACC GOR be damned! There is enough money around to buy off the lesser members of the ACC. So I see further movement soon.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom