Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 652 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

Reaction Score
Yes we are lol. We’re so screwed man. No way the state keeps us afloat much longer.
Didn’t Murphy say UConn should stay in the Big East and that the state of Connecticut will continue to take care of the athletic deficit? I swear I read that in one of his tweets

Jimbo

Running to Stand Still
Reaction Score
How do you rank the Top 5 UConn Conference Expansion Failures from your personal pain scale? Mine goes :
1 : 2014 ACC expansion (Louisville) expansion
2 : 2023 B12 expansion (CO, UT, AZ, ASU)
3 : 2013 ACC expansion (Pitts, Syracuse, ND)
4 : 2005 ACC expansion (BC, Miami, VT)
5 : 2022 B12 expansion (Cincy, Houston, Cincy, USF)
Personally I'd flip 4 and 5. Back in 2004–05, (1) it was at least possible to believe the Big East could turn out okay, (2) the additions created the strongest basketball conference probably ever, and (3) the Miami/VT defections allowed UConn to join up in football a year ahead of schedule. I don't recall any hope at all with the 2022 round; it just didn't hurt very much because we were never in the conversation.

Big picture: the fact that a list like this even exists is its own kind of pain.

Reaction Score
How do you rank the Top 5 UConn Conference Expansion Failures from your personal pain scale? Mine goes :
1 : 2014 ACC expansion (Louisville) expansion
2 : 2023 B12 expansion (CO, UT, AZ, ASU)
3 : 2013 ACC expansion (Pitts, Syracuse, ND)
4 : 2005 ACC expansion (BC, Miami, VT)
5 : 2022 B12 expansion (Cincy, Houston, Cincy, USF)
2 : 2014 Rutgers to the Big 10

Reaction Score
While I don’t agree with Nelson’s take on NU and Vandy (I have personal experience at both schools), I can see a day when the top academic universities with large endowments and uncertain futures - Stan, UC, Duke, WF, BC, GTech, etc - say enough is enough (reliance of football) and explore another model.

History does tend to repeat itself, just ask the Ivy League

98Uconn

NL1MF
Reaction Score
I wish the CR board would combust into thin air. Like a moth to flame, I’m impulsively drawn to it once again. I enjoyed the lapse in addiction I’ve had since the ACC miss and now that this is over, I need to withdraw again.. I just can’t stop though…

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
Based on Conference Realignment Rule #1, I was just trying to think of how things could possibly be worse for us.

Heres an idea….BY convinces the B12 of the need for basketball strength and Eastern growth now that the Corner Four is finalized. So they call UConn about a basketball only invite…we tell them to Off….they decide to expand with Gonzaga, St Johns, Villanova, and Georgetown.

That’s the only possible way I see things being worse! :(

Reaction Score
It’s really not much different. But they have the most fans and the most resources. Yes, it will kill the beauty of the NCAA tournament. If that results in an extra few million per school, it’s perfectly fine to them. It’s not an accident that Alabama started landing bball talent - it’s resources(from football success). They will slowly drain the talent out of the non-Px conferences and create a competition gap that will allow them to say their Px tournament champ is the best team in the country.
Meh. I just think they’ll be alienating too much of the collective fan base. Giving them no chance whatsoever to lay claim to a title. Tourney time, I’ve always been first, my team, second, fellow conference member (except Syracuse), third, underdog/Cinderella, and, fourth, close by or some other loose connection. The level of enthusiasm drops each level. Until it reaches “who cares?”
This Px model immediately jumps to “who cares?” for a huge percentage of potential fan base. Just plain stupid business.
Don’t dismiss the power of the Cinderella. Olympics used to be a big draw. Now no one hardly knows when they are happening.

Reaction Score
This. The presidents/chancellors screwed Yormark. Unless we go to 18 with SDSU, he's not getting that "big NY moment". Utah and ASU agreed to 25 million for first 2 years. I apologize to you all. My information ended up being wrong.
Told you this morning not to play games with my heart and you went on ahead and did it anyways. Have you no decency sir?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I will say this.

If two months ago, we knew the Pac was going to disintegrate, B1G was talking two more of the teams and Big12 was adding four teams, I wouldn't even have considered UConn in play.

All the posturing aside UConn needed an odd number of P5 teams added to the Big 12 to get their golden ticket.

The timing of the Pac's disintegrstion is the kick in the nuts.

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
This hurts like getting dumped by your sweetheart. That said, we are no worse now than we were 24 hours ago. The shifting schools moved from one power conference to another. They didn’t add any G5 schools. Also, there are a few more schools in our position now since the PAC is dead. FSU and the other 6 or 7 snobby crybabies in the ACC are keeping chaos alive in the system. The best bet for us is to 1) look respectable in football and 2) keep winning. If we do, we have a chance for the future in an expanded Big XII or rebuilt ACC

Reaction Score
Let's hope we can right the ship and get football on the right track. This realignment will start again since it's not done.

If B1G goes to 20, others will too.

If ACC is smart, they invite us and others to get to 16, 18, or 20. I don't think ACC is forward thinking or smart though.
All their moves will be reactionary and they may not include UConn even though it seems logical.

Reaction Score
For what it’s worth, about an hour ago I privately spoke with someone who would actually know what the heck happened, and he told me ‘UConn was used as a leverage ploy and only as a leverage ploy. They never had any intention of extending an invite. All that Yormark posturing and visiting Storrs? Yup, that was entirely a calculated move.’

So there ya go. I hope Yormark gets his you know what kicked to the curb one day. I will actively be rooting for his downfall. He’s a snake

Reaction Score
This. The presidents/chancellors screwed Yormark. Unless we go to 18 with SDSU, he's not getting that "big NY moment". Utah and ASU agreed to 25 million for first 2 years. I apologize to you all. My information ended up being wrong.
Completely agree Yormark had his vision shredded. This was always a fluid situation but boy once these guys had their chance they fell right back into the predictable mindless thought process. I believe we did what we could but DB was given some bad news yesterday and did a sloppy job trying to sugar coat it. I hope our guys have chips on their shoulders. We could use a good start to the FB season.

Reaction Score
The football team is going to be pretty much playing for it’s life this season.

Jim got 6 wins last year with a banged up roster. I have a small bet he ups it to 10 this year at +2600 odds.
He is too proud and will get too frustrated. If it was just the under-funded program, I think Mora could take that build a winner here even with the disadvantages. But with the added combination of the upcoming NIL explosion and open transfers, even if he develops great players, they will leave for significant NIL money.

If Mora feels he cannot compete, he will get frustrated and leave and I can't blame him. Heck, I could see him replacing Prime Time at Colorado when he crashes and burns in two years time.
Good news/ Bad news. Bad news is Mora left for a power job where he has a shot to win championships. Good news is he was successful at UConn that someone hired him away.

Reaction Score
This hurts like getting dumped by your sweetheart. That said, we are no worse now than we were 24 hours ago. The shifting schools moved from one power conference to another. They didn’t add any G5 schools. Also, there are a few more schools in our position now since the PAC is dead. FSU and the other 6 or 7 snobby crybabies in the ACC are keeping chaos alive in the system. The best bet for us is to 1) look respectable in football and 2) keep winning. If we do, we have a chance for the future in an expanded Big XII or rebuilt ACC
We are much worse, actually. There was another wave of realignment, 4 seats were taken away, and we are still are on outside looking in as an afterthought. After today, there is no real clear path to the P4. That is crushing.

Reaction Score
Ivy league FB didn't go anywhere- In the first 75 years of CFB they played for NCs. Now they play in front of < 10,000 fans on average. Any program outside of the Px is headed to the same place.
You can't use the ivies as examples. They made a conscious decision to not pursue big time football. Heck, they still do it to this day by refusing to participate in the FCS playoffs.

Reaction Score
We are much worse, actually. There was another wave of realignment, 4 seats were taken away, and we are still are on outside looking in as an afterthought. After today, there is no real clear path to the P4. That is crushing.
It really all depends on how the CFP is structured 2026 onwards. If there are 4 or more autobids, there will be more power conference spots available. If there's only 2 or 3 then yeah we are screwed.

RioDog

Block C Bozo
Reaction Score
You can't use the ivies as examples. They made a conscious decision to not pursue big time football. Heck, they still do it to this day by refusing to participate in the FCS playoffs.
Conscious or not the results are the same. The only difference is we will slide into irrelevance against our will, but it will be the same irrelevance.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
This week has been insane. The whiskey is flowing like a river. I know that UConn can survive if we stay in the Big East, but the idea that the likes of Houston and UCF are going to net tens of millions more than us for accomplishing ABSOLUTELY NOTHING is astounding.

We've run out of fingers to put all our championships. Our athletic department is among the best in the nation. And yet schools like Cincinnati will make more money every year. It's obscene.

Let's hope there's still an ace up our sleeves. Because we honestly deserve it...

Reaction Score
This week has been insane. The whiskey is flowing like a river. I know that UConn can survive if we stay in the Big East, but the idea that the likes of Houston and UCF are going to net tens of millions more than us for accomplishing ABSOLUTELY NOTHING is astounding.

We've run out of fingers to put all our championships. Our athletic department is among the best in the nation. And yet schools like Cincinnati will make more money every year. It's obscene.

Let's hope there's still an ace up our sleeves. Because we honestly deserve it...
It truly is remarkable what UConn has accomplished athletically. We absolutely deserve it and we would become even more of a juggernaut. Thats why it hurts so much.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom