Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 312 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

Reaction Score
tin-foil-hat.jpg

Conspiracy Kitty says:
If BYU didn't have the student code issue, it would have been BYU, UConn, Cinci and Houston. Thanks, you Utah bastards.

I totally think this is the way it went down.

Reaction Score
There was never going to be an expansion after the ACC got their "network".

It was all a charade to get more money now from ESPN and Fox, aka the pooch, without screwing the pooch and getting less money down the road

It was all but confirmed as such by the reports of who was present (or not present) at school presentations and how uninterested the Big 12 officials seemed.

Nothing to see here.

Reaction Score
If this does come to fruition, it would effectively make a Div IA (or CFP), a G5, and FCS divisions...all with their own playoffs.

This would acknowledge the split away of the CFP programs, create a middle weight championship class. Would it have any deleterious effect? Or is it all good?

Reaction Score
There are pros and cons to both sides of the argument. From a business side of things an AD could view a G5 Playoff as a means for their financially strapped athletic department to generate more revenue. They know that ESPN would broadcast it and people would watch it.

At this point in time there are only a small number of G5 Programs that are set up long term to compete for the access bowl bid on a yearly basis. These schools have resources and use them. Schools like Boise, BYU, Houston, Uconn, and Cincy have the infrastructure to sustain success. However if you are Bowling Green, North Texas, or Utah State you need a once in a lifetime season where everything goes your way in order to have any shot. To these schools the guaranteed income of a playoff might be very attractive.

Being realistic the gulf between an Ohio and Ohio State or Troy and Alabama is so vast it is like they are competing in a different classification already. JMO but the gap in resources is far greater between the top and bottom of FBS than between the top of FCS and the bottom of the G5. That is why we see movement on that borderline. Some realize its hopeless to compete and move down, others try to elevate their programs. Ultimately I think we see the top G5 Programs move into the P5 either as additions to existing conferences or as an entirely new one. The less solvent G5 Schools will absorb the top FCS conferences in a new classification and compete for this G5 Playoff.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I imagine that quite a few within both P-5 schools and their broadcast partners felt they dodged a bullet with Houston not being able to run the table in the AAC (which would have made it impossible to keep them out of the playoff). If someone from one of those camps, in an attempt to keep that from happening proposed this it would have made sense (as that is the last piece of ammunition necessary to officially exclude us). It coming from a G-5 school makes no sense at all.

Reaction Score
It is far from good and considering that it occurred after a season where some evidence existed that the right G-5 school could break through has me baffled that this is coming from a G-5 school.

But not just any G5 school. Western Michigan just proved you can go undefeated and still not even be considered for the national championship. They did every thing in their power, and it still wasn't good enough. For most G5 schools, there is no possibility of a national championship from day one. At least in basketball, everybody has a theoretical chance.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
But not just any G5 school. Western Michigan just proved you can go undefeated and still not even be considered for the national championship. They did every thing in their power, and it still wasn't good enough. For most G5 schools, there is no possibility of a national championship from day one. At least in basketball, everybody has a theoretical chance.
I was ready to make a post about OOC schedule then I looked WMU up and they beat Northwestern and Illinois. Not bad but not great. It'd take a situation like Houston had this year with a dynamite OOC schedule and high preseason ranking to get done.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
So this is basically the MAC saying "we know, regardless of on field product, our profile won't allow us to ever break through so we want to ensure all other G-5 schools are in the same boat".

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
WMU was well outside the preseason top 25 and didn't break into the AP rankings until week 7. By contrast, UDub was #14 in the preseason and #4 in the CFP. Basically, a program has to be at least ranked to start the year in order to have a chance.

The G5 is certainly at a disadvantage, but we already knew that.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
WMU was well outside the preseason top 25 and didn't break into the AP rankings until week 7. By contrast, UDub was #14 in the preseason and #4 in the CFP. Basically, a program has to be at least ranked to start the year in order to have a chance.

The G5 is certainly at a disadvantage, but we already knew that.

I think that if there is enough early hype and they go undefeated, an AAC team can make it to the playoff, maybe a MWC team too. MAC, Sunbelt and Conference USA? Never.

Reaction Score
I agree that an AAC team that runs the table (and has a good OOC win), could get in the playoff.

Reaction Score
I agree that an AAC team that runs the table (and has a good OOC win), could get in the playoff.
They would have to have a top OOC schedule and beat at least 2 teams ranked in Top 10. They would also need the AAC teams they beat to knock off some good OOC teams as well.
Houston this season would have been a good example.

Reaction Score
So this is basically the MAC saying "we know, regardless of on field product, our profile won't allow us to ever break through so we want to ensure all other G-5 schools are in the same boat".

I think its more a thinking that the probability of a G5 School, especially one in The MAC, making the playoff is so low that there is merit in the idea of a G5 version if the money is right. A tournament paycheck could be the difference in being able to fund teams, facilities, etc. Its legit for some to dream big, but for 90% of these teams maybe being pragmatic is the way to go.

Husky25

Reaction Score
It's certainly understandable if you want to take that view of things. As this is a Uconn Board, most discussions will be framed as how it would effect the school. However in this thread I don't think it is out of bounds to have a broader discussion about potential future events. I do believe this will ultimately happen, as The P5 or P4 potentially will break away. I also think it will effect the basketball tournament in some way as well, but I'm not sure in what manner at this point in time. What I am sure is that The P5 Schools are not thrilled with the percentage of revenue that The NCAA keeps from its yearly proceeds. The problem with Uconn is they are not where they belong. Cincy for that matter as well. I'm sorry but I can't group them in the same category as schools like New Mexico State, Florida International, or Rice. There needs to be a major call up to the top level for a number of schools before this break away can be legitimized.

Oh please. Don't be a hypocrite. Aren't you an ND fan? ND fans in general value their Independence and NBC payday as much as the 24 carat gold with which they paint the helmets. Neither ND nor their fans care about what the ACC does, let alone the rest of the P5, so long as ND can set their own terms and still be a part of the fraternity.

Reaction Score
Oh please. Don't be a hypocrite. Aren't you an ND fan? ND fans in general value their Independence and NBC payday as much as the 24 carat gold with which they paint the helmets. Neither ND nor their fans care about what the ACC does, let alone the rest of the P5, so long as ND can set their own terms and still be a part of the fraternity.

97NJbrd.gif

Husky25

Reaction Score
I think he's a Michigan fan...
Penn State.
Either way he hates Notre Dame?
PSU I believe.

Any potential mistake in allegiance really doesn't diminish the overall point any, which is UConn needs to look out for its own self interest, without regard to what may or may not be good for the lower profile G-5 teams/conferences. There is no broader discussion extends beyond 06268.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom