Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 814 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

Reaction Score
Are we really? If so, wouldn't we have been picked up?

I do think logically it makes sense to absorb some big east teams but it doesn't mean they'll do it. There is a chance they don't want the competition
The reason why UConn hasn't been picked up is obvious, and it's football. But they can't isolate UConn from basketball

Reaction Score
I disagree with you. I love Jay Wright but they're not Jay Wright University. Neptune is awful but they're going to fire him and get the best coach out there. Nova is a basketball brand with major NIL.

Just how big do you think the Big 10 and SEC are going to get? Nova is out for you. Are they going to add Duke, Kansas, UConn, Baylor, Gonzaga, Cincinnati, West Virginia, Iowa State, Louisville, Syracuse, Houston, Georgia Tech etc. in addition to FSU, Clemson, UNC, Virginia?
They'll keep the ACC and the B12. They'll just give them less football money.

Reaction Score
And they got left out.

I can’t imagine them giving us special consideration. They will just hold the pillow over our face because they think Penn State should enjoy a better basketball future because they have a sort of bigtime football program.
??

Who got left out? Not the 3 schools I listed.

Reaction Score
Then why wouldn’t they keep the Big East? Just add Gonzaga to the Big East if the writing is on the wall. After that, who’s missing in basketball? No one. At that point, yes, you can split up the pie unevenly.

Reaction Score
The reason why UConn hasn't been picked up is obvious, and it's football. But they can't isolate UConn from basketball
I don't think they should. I think they'd be stupid to not get UConn, st johns, Villanova and maybe a couple others if they split off their basketball. But that doesn't mean they wouldn't do it.

Reaction Score
I don't think they should. I think they'd be stupid to not get UConn, st johns, Villanova and maybe a couple others if they split off their basketball. But that doesn't mean they wouldn't do it.
I'm just saying they would invalidate themselves by doing that

Reaction Score
Then why wouldn’t they keep the Big East? Just add Gonzaga to the Big East if the writing is on the wall. After that, who’s missing in basketball? No one. At that point, yes, you can split up the pie unevenly.
Because the football schools would break from the NCAA. They big 2 can take most of the money, but for scheduling purposes and a whole lot of other reasons, they'd going to need more than 32-36 teams in football.

First off, they're going to need to grab transfers from other schools, and when you're just down to 32 who can even fund it properly, it's not going to work.

Basketball is an afterthought for them.

Reaction Score
I agree they'll remain along with the Big East but I absolutely see the Big 10 and SEC breaking away to form a power 2 for football.

Reaction Score
I agree they'll remain along with the Big East but I absolutely see the Big 10 and SEC breaking away to form a power 2 for football.
Why would they need a power 2 when they can just give the others chicken feed? Especially when you consider that some of these teams will be wondering why entire populous states are out of the equation while Vanderbilt and Northwestern, not to mention Nebraska and Mississippi St., are reaping the benefits? It doesn't make sense for Arizona/Utah/Colorado/Kansas and at least one of UNC/NC St/Duke/Virginia/Virginia Tech/Pitt/Clemson or Miami being on the outside while Vandy and Northwestern are reaping the benefits.

Reaction Score
Because the football schools would break from the NCAA. They big 2 can take most of the money, but for scheduling purposes and a whole lot of other reasons, they'd going to need more than 32-36 teams in football.

First off, they're going to need to grab transfers from other schools, and when you're just down to 32 who can even fund it properly, it's not going to work.

Basketball is an afterthought for them.
Wait so the P2 need more than 36 teams in football but not basketball? That doesn’t seem to make sense.

Unless you think 66 or whatever is enough in basketball. Which I do not.

Reaction Score
Why would they need a power 2 when they can just give the others chicken feed? Especially when you consider that some of these teams will be wondering why entire populous states are out of the equation while Vanderbilt and Northwestern, not to mention Nebraska and Mississippi St., are reaping the benefits? It doesn't make sense for Arizona/Utah/Colorado/Kansas and at least one of UNC/NC St/Duke/Virginia/Virginia Tech/Pitt/Clemson or Miami being on the outside while Vandy and Northwestern are reaping the benefits.
Why would they not create a power 2 for football and break away when they already have every football brand except for a few ACC brands they will add? Why not keep all the money?

It hasn't made sense for a long time that Vandy and Northwestern are in a better position than 60 other schools.

Reaction Score
The best football brands…

Means pretty much the same thing as college sports brands.

College basketball is practically niche now. It’s March and they are talking about college football in the media as much as they are talking about college basketball.

Reaction Score
Wait so the P2 need more than 36 teams in football but not basketball? That doesn’t seem to make sense.

Unless you think 66 or whatever is enough in basketball. Which I do not.
?? I'm saying they have to include UConn but not the entire BE.

The catch is going to be automatic entries for the P4 schools. They'll dominate the tourney. There will be crumbs for the remains of the BE. It's very easy to conceive of a tournament with lots of play-ins for the minnows. The minnows are having their tournaments this weekend. Play-ins next week while the P4 is having conference tourneys.

You also don't dole out the big $$ until after the play-ins are all over. Suddenly, leagues like the BE have one member in the final 64, and even that's not guaranteed. No $$ at all.

Reaction Score
Why would they not create a power 2 for football and break away when they already have every football brand except for a few ACC brands they will add? Why not keep all the money?

It hasn't made sense for a long time that Vandy and Northwestern are in a better position than 60 other schools.
It's just not enough schools in enough places to make it viable. I just listed some of the states that would be left out, but beyond that, the whole transfer ecosystem would be severely reduced.

This would have repercussions for the NFL as well since the D2 schools (i.e. Colorado, Utah, Arizona) would have an AAC level of money to work with.

Essentially, the P2 would need to go back to 110 scholarships to make it all work.

Reaction Score
It's just not enough schools in enough places to make it viable. I just listed some of the states that would be left out, but beyond that, the whole transfer ecosystem would be severely reduced.

This would have repercussions for the NFL as well since the D2 schools (i.e. Colorado, Utah, Arizona) would have an AAC level of money to work with.

Essentially, the P2 would need to go back to 110 scholarships to make it all work.
Why does it all of a sudden matter that states would be left out? You think the government will get involved and put a stop to all of this?

I'm not following your transfer ecosystem thing.

Reaction Score
Why does it all of a sudden matter that states would be left out? You think the government will get involved and put a stop to all of this?

I'm not following your transfer ecosystem thing.
It's still an open system right now. Everyone is included. As soon as they close the loop though, then yes, having so many states on the outside is going to present problems. Again, I'm not talking about the power relations of the current structure where so few schools get all the money. I'm referring to schools being locked out from the beginning.

Reaction Score
It's still an open system right now. Everyone is included. As soon as they close the loop though, then yes, having so many states on the outside is going to present problems. Again, I'm not talking about the power relations of the current structure where so few schools get all the money. I'm referring to schools being locked out from the beginning.
I'm aware.

Again, what's to stop them from breaking away for football and leaving some states out?

Reaction Score
I'm aware.

Again, what's to stop them from breaking away for football and leaving some states out?
Violation of antitrust laws.

But this all depends on the set-up. If they are fully professional like minor leagues, they can get away with it. But if they are not a fully pro league, and if they're still affiliated with universities, they'll be subject to antitrust laws. They already collectively negotiate rights fees which runs afoul of antitrust laws. They are exempt from those laws.

But does California, the entire west coast, mountain west, Plains states, the entire northeast including Pennsylvania, and likely a whole swatch of the Atlantic Coast, have an interest in fighting that exemption? Yes.

Reaction Score
Violation of antitrust laws.

But this all depends on the set-up. If they are fully professional like minor leagues, they can get away with it. But if they are not a fully pro league, and if they're still affiliated with universities, they'll be subject to antitrust laws. They already collectively negotiate rights fees which runs afoul of antitrust laws. They are exempt from those laws.

But does California, the entire west coast, mountain west, Plains states, the entire northeast including Pennsylvania, and likely a whole swatch of the Atlantic Coast, have an interest in fighting that exemption? Yes.
I hope you're right but I won't expect it.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
They won't. They receive far too much cover under the NCAA umbrella that would be lost if they broke away. They have already basically isolated football revenues (FBS level) away from the NCAA. They are well on their way towards further stratification of the top two conferences vs everyone else in FBS. What would breaking away provide them that they won't already have?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom