Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 585 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
oh they will 100% ruin college basketball by modeling it after the NBA playoffs.
They got nothing to lose by trying it. If viewership takes a big hit they can change it back.

We hear nothing but complaints by posters on the men’s bb forum about attending games against teams that stink. There will still be some bad teams but the reduction to 60-80 teams should change that situation significantly.

Reaction Score
I think the split is Fox pays $11M and ESPN pays $20M.

Going from $4M to $11M isn’t that big if a stretch, especially considering $4M is extremely undervalued and doesn’t include UConn football
Then let Fox keep paying what they are. UConn would still jump for 24m.

I think the issue is Fox might not get the best BB games like UConn KU whereas they are guaranteed to have UConn Nova etc.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
The only thing still eating me alive, is nobody can explain why we have to wait. We’ve been ready since Texas and Oklahoma opened room in the conference. We coulda been school 1 or 2, but for some reason Colorado and Arizona “must” be announced first. It doesn’t make sense.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
3) Again, what does that look like? Is it a P-2, P-3, or P-4? Do they just abandon the regular season for basketball and run a 54-56 team tournament where every single team from the P-whatever is invited?

My guess…an expanded tournament with nearly every power conference team getting an invite. Instead of revenue flowing to the NCAA and then being distributed to the divisions and schools, it will flow to the power schools as the group that “creates value” and be distributed from there…and in their favor.

Reaction Score
The only thing still eating me alive, is nobody can explain why we have to wait. We’ve been ready since Texas and Oklahoma opened room in the conference. We coulda been school 1 or 2, but for some reason Colorado and Arizona “must” be announced first. It doesn’t make sense.
UConn in or out is eating me up too. I have managed to convince myself that both outcomes are not only likely, but inevitable.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
My guess…an expanded tournament with nearly every power conference team getting an invite. Instead of revenue flowing to the NCAA and then being distributed to the divisions and schools, it will flow to the power schools as the group that “creates value” and be distributed from there…and in their favor.

I think it's much more likely they threaten to breakaway entirely, and ultimately restructure the distribution and add additional play in games for low majors/mid majors.

You can't see a tournament where the 1 seed UNC is getting bounced by a 13 win Penn State 16 seed in Round 1.

Manage to kill the brackets, you kill the entire tournament.

Reaction Score
An expanded tournament that's open to everyone and they pay teams based on their TV #'s in the tournament?

Reaction Score
because it doesn't make any sense. if we were in we'd be in. we're clearly not in or that mike anthony article would not have dropped today. that was a sign from the AD that we are on the cusp but don't have an invitation. I think we're just overconfident again.

Reaction Score
So much for the Big 12 wanting to be a national conference and presence in the northeast!
Yep…. Someone else said it. 4 schools, 2 states, one of which is less populated than CT.
Does nothing for markets and certainly doesn’t do anything for WVU.

Wonder if the schools continue to ignore Yormark, might he grow tired and look elsewhere.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
because it doesn't make any sense. if we were in we'd be in. we're clearly not in or that mike anthony article would not have dropped today. that was a sign from the AD that we are on the cusp but don't have an invitation. I think we're just overconfident again.
We really are just grasping at straws trying to justify it. They coulda ripped the bandaid off on the controversial add in UConn first, then added 3 Pac schools, if that was the plan all along.

Reaction Score
UConn is what BY gets for getting everyone else? That would be my guess. Or, UConn gets screwed again.

Reaction Score
We really are just grasping at straws trying to justify it. They coulda ripped the bandaid off on the controversial add in UConn first, then added 3 Pac schools, if that was the plan all along.
Getting Colorado first makes tons of sense. If we were in, we'd have been 2nd to get Arizona/ASU and Utah fighting each other for the last two spots.

All the news that Arizona is 14 to me means we got left out again.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
An expanded tournament that's open to everyone and they pay teams based on their TV #'s in the tournament?

Open to everyone?

No, the MAAC is not getting a second team in, but the SEC would be getting a 15th.

Like, that kind of open.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
A sadistic part of me really enjoys watching schools that were grandfathered into the P5 be welcomed to our reality. Enjoy your forced demotion OSU and WSU, nobody cared when it happened to us.

Just wait a few years when it happens to BC.

Reaction Score
UConn is what BY gets for getting everyone else? That would be my guess. Or, UConn gets screwed again.
I keep telling myself Utah has little value for the league compared to us. But when has any of that mattered? Think of all the people you know, that seem rational and sane then make a life changing financial decision without doing their homework. Like marriage - lol.

Reaction Score
Well I think we've reached peak CR. Comparing conference realignment with the gotdang Civil War jfc get a grip people
Good God. I’m not comparing conference realignment to the Civil War. I’m pointing out that saying that something that was predicted hasn’t happened yet doesn’t mean the prediction was wrong.

Reaction Score
I'm not ready to concede anything yet but if it does end up being the two Arizona schools and Utah the possibility exists that the media partners were involved to some extent. They would be more willing to pay P5 football dollars to schools that have been P5 for an extended time (with the newest being the strongest program) than a school that they have no reason to believe can be competitive at a P5 level in football for the foreseeable future.

It sucks, it's small minded thinking but small minded thinking has been television's MO since Truman was president.
The small markets though. It's a stretch for that money to be spent that way with the more valuable Pac12 schools not drawing more than $19m.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
10 years ago UConn wasn't running a $50m deficit.

And before people jump in to tell us that the state continues to finance that deficit, tell me why the state isn't defraying the skyrocketing tuition?

As UConn increasingly comes under pressure at the top end (rising tuition) it's going to find it very difficult to maintain that huge deficit. People look at the $B budget and think $50m doesn't matter, but they don't realize most of that budget is spoken for, it's not fungible, it leaves the colleges little wiggle room. If I had to guess the College of Arts & Sciences runs on much much less than $50m.
The state doesn't pay that huge deficit. The school does. Apparently they find considerable value in doing so. Perhaps they realize that excellence in sports has elevated UConn toward excellence in education. Perhaps they recognize that the state has chosen to invest in the university, at least in part because of the goodwill generated by its outstanding athletic teams. Perhaps they, correctly, realize that having competitive athletic teams is attractive to students, who are the university's lifeblood. Perhaps they understand that having successful athletic teams create a brand for the university and name awareness in students, and their parents.

In the end all of those things contribute to being able to pay for the college of arts and sciences, and many other schools as well, because if they didn't realize it, why would the university be doing so? Let me state this again, the state of Connecticut does not directly pay the athletic department, the University does. It probably does so for good business reasons.

Reaction Score
This place cracks me up. Just a day ago everyone was saying it would take years for Oregon and Washington to move to the Big 10 who moves at a glacially slow pace, now they have Oregon and Washington joining the Big 10 right now. FSU is full of it because that ACC GOR is ironclad and FSU, Clemson and the rest of them can't leave until 2036, sure...

Now the NCAA tournament is done or it's going to a new model with basically all P-whatever teams and the money is basically going all to the P-whatever teams no matter the results.

If any of this realignment stuff taught us anything it should be that UConn basketball will keep winning titles and just about none of these other P-whatever programs will win anything.

Reaction Score
If I’m Benedict I’m offering all sorts of concessions to get us an invite. Commit to building an on campus football stadium. Offer conference games at MSG. Reduced share for the first 6 years. Everything. Just get us an invite and save the athletic department

Reaction Score
The state doesn't pay that huge deficit. The school does. Apparently they find considerable value in doing so. Perhaps they realize that excellence in sports has elevated UConn toward excellence in education. Perhaps they recognize that the state has chosen to invest in the university, at least in part because of the goodwill generated by its outstanding athletic teams. Perhaps they, correctly, realize that having competitive athletic teams is attractive to students, who are the university's lifeblood. Perhaps they understand that having successful athletic teams create a brand for the university and name awareness in students, and their parents.

In the end all of those things contribute to being able to pay for the college of arts and sciences, and many other schools as well, because if they didn't realize it, why would the university be doing so? Let me state this again, the state of Connecticut does not directly pay the athletic department, the University does. It probably does so for good business reasons.
Flip everything around that you'd said 180 and you'd be right.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom