Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 442 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

Reaction Score
The Dodd article on CBS Sports this morning should put to rest any suggestion that UConn is "getting played" by the Big 12. The move may never happen, however the level of detail regarding the due diligence done by the Big 12 and its consultant on UConn and Gonzaga as discussed in the Dodd article suggests that the interest is real and more than a bargaining ploy.
I agree. In the past any talk of UConn to a conference by him was negative based on his perception of things at the time. He’s clearly more neutral this time

Reaction Score
TV power

Sounds like this consulting firm is being heavily used and trusted, and also probably paid well.

Is any consideration being given to the fact that just the hardcore faction knows what FS1 is and where to find it? Probably not

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
TV power

Sounds like this consulting firm is being heavily used and trusted, and also probably paid well.

Is any consideration being given to the fact that just the hardcore faction knows what FS1 is and where to find it? Probably not
Typically you normalize to account for variables (good or bad). If they aren't, they are fools.

Reaction Score
The Dodd article on CBS Sports this morning should put to rest any suggestion that UConn is "getting played" by the Big 12. The move may never happen, however the level of detail regarding the due diligence done by the Big 12 and its consultant on UConn and Gonzaga as discussed in the Dodd article suggests that the interest is real and more than a bargaining ploy.
I feel like that article was outdated, even though it came out today. Yes, some added media info for Gonzaga with a metric defined by…. The media company representing Gonzaga.

Where is the UConn push? Where are all the nuggets bout UConn. Why are people in Kansas, OK, and TX providing the UConn narrative?

Don’t Warde Manuel this situation and let Gonzaga steal the show. UConn should be everywhere!

Reaction Score
I feel like that article was outdated, even though it came out today. Yes, some added media info for Gonzaga with a metric defined by…. The media company representing Gonzaga.

Where is the UConn push? Where are all the nuggets bout UConn. Why are people in Kansas, OK, and TX providing the UConn narrative?

Don’t Warde Manuel this situation and let Gonzaga steal the show. UConn should be everywhere!
Yes, I agree. The article talked a lot about Gonzaga because Gonzaga is using Navigate as their consulting company and the author talked to Navigate people. Who is UConn using?

Reaction Score
I disagree. We are too valuable to ignore at this point:
  • Highly academically ranked state flagship public university
  • Record of significant investments in revenue sports
  • Recent major investments in on-campus facilities
  • Reasonably large fan base and state population (29th out of 50)
  • East coast location and NYC market
  • Most successful w and m hoops programs of the last 30 years - both programs trending up
  • Recently nationally ranked programs in hoops, baseball, hockey, field hockey, track and field - all trending up
  • Multiple national titles in soccer, hoops, and field hockey
  • Football program that went to a bowl game with new name brand coach - trending up
These things are all true. Unfortunately, most of them are things that mean more to other conferences - like the Big Ten - than they would to the Big 12.

Again, UConn's biggest problem here is that the Big 12 is still - despite some positive momentum lately - a conference in survival mode. Perception matters a lot to any business in that category, and the perception is that UConn dilutes the football brand, doesn't fit culturally, and creates more travel headaches.

The Big 12 has no presence in NYC and likely never will. UConn joining may change that marginally, but without a marquee draw like OU or Texas to draw people to the city for potential games at Metlife or Yankee Stadium, the benefits will remain limited.

Minus OU and Texas, it's not a league blessed with a lot of brand appeal or valuable TV markets. Moving forward, any path towards remaining a viable power conference will include prioritizing its strengths and doubling down on them. That means strong football programs, passionate football fanbases, and strong recruiting grounds. Every school they've added to their league has checked at least two of those boxes. UConn offers a lot of potential, but doesn't really check any of them for now.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Like him or not, Tramel's reporting seems well sourced, and suggests to me that we are likely out of it.
Does it though? He's already finished his position that we are facing resistance to that we "might" face resistance. Trammels poisoning the well.

Reaction Score
Like him or not, Tramel's reporting seems well sourced, and suggests to me that we are likely out of it.
Many on here are taking Tramel's comments as we are likely out. I don't understand how anyone draws that conclusion. Is it not fair to reason that having "concerns" is different from outright objecting? If I recall, the BIG12 leaders put their faith and strong support behind Yormark and his vision. Yormark has made pretty crystal clear his vision of having NYC ... and last I checked no programs outside of an iron-clad GOR come close to UCONN. Yormark has stated programs with football would be for ALL SPORTS. BIG12 members can have reservations or concerns while still moving forward in faith, can they not?

Can someone on here remind us how BIG12 voting works for membership? Is it an all-or-nothing or a certain % majority rule?

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
Many on here are taking Tramel's comments as we are likely out. I don't understand how anyone draws that conclusion. Is it not fair to reason that having "concerns" is different from outright objecting? If I recall, the BIG12 leaders put their faith and strong support behind Yormark and his vision. Yormark has made pretty crystal clear his vision of having NYC ... and last I checked no programs outside of an iron-clad GOR come close to UCONN. Yormark has stated programs with football would be for ALL SPORTS. BIG12 members can have reservations or concerns while still moving forward in faith, can they not?

Can someone on here remind us how BIG12 voting works for membership? Is it an all-or-nothing or a certain % majority rule?
At the end, all conferences are all or nothing. There is an informal vote before hand (see Texas A&M and Texas).

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
More than likely it involves paying Ollie.
I was thinking that a portion of the settlement had to be included. There likely is an additional item or two that aren't normal recurring expenditures.

Reaction Score
I wonder if OU and Texas would still have a vote and as of July 1 wouldn't the four new schools have a vote? ... not that any are fond of our program.
I found this from 2021. There is also a PDF of the bylaws:

Under Section 1.5.2(b)(3) of the bylaws, a "Supermajority of Disinterested Directors" must vote in favor of the "Admission of a new Member . . . ." Under Section 1.5.2.2(f) states that a "Supermajority of Disinterested Directors" is 75% or more of all Disinterested Directors. A Director is not a Disinterested Director if he or she represents a school that has "Withdrawn" or is an "Interested Director" as to a particular issue before the Big 12 Board of Directors.

Reaction Score
I found this from 2021. There is also a PDF of the bylaws:

Under Section 1.5.2(b)(3) of the bylaws, a "Supermajority of Disinterested Directors" must vote in favor of the "Admission of a new Member . . . ." Under Section 1.5.2.2(f) states that a "Supermajority of Disinterested Directors" is 75% or more of all Disinterested Directors. A Director is not a Disinterested Director if he or she represents a school that has "Withdrawn" or is an "Interested Director" as to a particular issue before the Big 12 Board of Directors.

Interesting, thanks for researching this.

Reaction Score
Is it fair to say Dom Amore isn't a UConn fan? Dom Amore lists all the Boomer reasons why NYC is actually not pro-UConn and the podcast/YouTuber follows up with "I'm 26, people my age when you say Big East basketball Madison Square garden THE NEWER GENERATION we think UConn we think Shabazz Napier, we think Kemba Walker ... that's kind of what we grew up with and that's a big part of that"

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Can tell you respectfully, it appears aaron does not understand what an influencer is and these coaches have a lot of influence. Keep in mind each school has 2. It’s funny that he discredits the basketball coaches and then throws football out there. We don’t need everyone to vote yes. Anyone know what type of majority is required in the B12?

Who peed in aaron’s cheerios?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom