Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 294 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

Reaction Score
I know this is insane, but I really believe that UConn should look at moving the main campus to Stamford over the next 20 years.

Taking Conference Realignment and athletics out of the equation altogether, having campus located 45 minutes to Grand Central Station and NYC would be a boon academically. It would allow our grad programs more access to top tier companies and institutions, while giving our undergrads a leg up in securing internships and jobs after graduation.

Being that close would allow the school to secure top professionals to serve as adjunct faculty as well.

If more UConn undergrads get exposed to opportunities in NYC, you are creating more potential NYC-located grads, increasing their net worth and building a stronger alumni network.

I love Storrs and I wouldn't of traded my 4 years there for anything, but let's be real, geographically it may as well be Siberia. Being 90 minutes from Boston and 2.5 hours from NYC is nice, but being 45 minutes from NYC would be nicer and a serious game-changer for the college.

Go ahead and crucify me. I'm ready for it.
Not gonna crucify you, but it is insane.

Reaction Score
I know this is insane, but I really believe that UConn should look at moving the main campus to Stamford over the next 20 years.

Taking Conference Realignment and athletics out of the equation altogether, having campus located 45 minutes to Grand Central Station and NYC would be a boon academically. It would allow our grad programs more access to top tier companies and institutions, while giving our undergrads a leg up in securing internships and jobs after graduation.

Being that close would allow the school to secure top professionals to serve as adjunct faculty as well.

If more UConn undergrads get exposed to opportunities in NYC, you are creating more potential NYC-located grads, increasing their net worth and building a stronger alumni network.

I love Storrs and I wouldn't of traded my 4 years there for anything, but let's be real, geographically it may as well be Siberia. Being 90 minutes from Boston and 2.5 hours from NYC is nice, but being 45 minutes from NYC would be nicer and a serious game-changer for the college.

LOL, no crucification, but it might be hard to explain to CT taxpayers the billions upon billions of dollars already invested in the UConn campus infrastructure. I would also think to buy a one square mile of Stamford real estate at an affordable price might be "challenging".

Reaction Score
LOL, no crucification, but it might be hard to explain to CT taxpayers the billions upon billions of dollars already invested in the UConn campus infrastructure. I would also think to buy a one square mile of Stamford real estate at an affordable price might be "challenging".

Yeah I mean, that's why you do it over a period of a quarter of a century or so. Allows for a long-term reallocation of resources and makes the burden on taxpayers easier.

And yes, you are 100% right, the real estate in Stamford is much pricier, but getting corporate gifts from NYC or Faifield Co. based businesses is a much easier sell than asking them to invest in UConn at Storrs.

Again, this isn't something that you do overnight, but if I'm in UConn leadership and CT Government, it's definitely something to consider.

Wake Forest was once located in Wake Forest, NC. For a myriad of reasons, including corporate interests from cigarette companies, it moved to its current location in Winston Salem.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Yeah I mean, that's why you do it over a period of a quarter of a century or so. Allows for a long-term reallocation of resources and makes the burden on taxpayers easier.

And yes, you are 100% right, the real estate in Stamford is much pricier, but getting corporate gifts from NYC or Faifield Co. based businesses is a much easier sell than asking them to invest in UConn at Storrs.

Again, this isn't something that you do overnight, but if I'm in UConn leadership and CT Government, it's definitely something to consider.

Wake Forest was once located in Wake Forest, NC. For a myriad of reasons, including corporate interests from cigarette companies, it moved to its current location in Winston Salem.
Arjona and Monteith are still in use at Storrs... nevemind all the new buildings that have gone up the last 20 years... ain't nobody leaving those behind for at least 100 years!! :)

Reaction Score

If we could re-do history, UConn's main campus should have been basically where CCSU is today. Smack dab in the middle of the state with easy highway access and 2 hours to either NYC or Boston.

As for Stamford, UConn would need Billions to buy the land in Fairfield County and then Billions more to move and build a new campus from scratch. Plus, even if UConn had the money to do so, the project would be run by the state of CT, which means it would cost Trillions and not Billions and the entire thing would fall apart the day before the grand opening :confused:

Reaction Score
If we could re-do history, UConn's main campus should have been basically where CCSU is today. Smack dab in the middle of the state with easy highway access and 2 hours to either NYC or Boston.

As for Stamford, UConn would need Billions to buy the land in Fairfield County and then Billions more to move and build a new campus from scratch. Plus, even if UConn had the money to do so, the project would be run by the state of CT, which means it would cost Trillions and not Billions and the entire thing would fall apart the day before the grand opening :confused:

Opinions on the state government aside, the benefits of having a campus in an urban setting like Stamford as opposed to Storrs means you don't need as much land. Buildings are bigger and can house more programs and lecture halls. Can also reduce the number of dorms in an urban campus as more students will be able to find affordable apartments as the total number of housing is more readily available than in Storrs-Mansfield.

It wouldn't be an easy undertaking by any means and there would be a ton of time needed to get it done, but if you are looking for a way to stimulate UConn and the entire state's economic growth in the future, that's where the solution is.

Total pipe dream on my end, but hey, I think it would be great for the school and the state in the longterm.

Reaction Score
Morgantown to Storrs - per Google Maps
12 h 3 min (795.0 mi) via I-84, I-80 W and I-71 S[/QUOTE

Is this with a wagon train via buffalo? I could make it to South Carolina border from Storrs in about 12 hours. No bio breaks though.

ElGuapo

What does that mean, in-famous?
Reaction Score
Hey Big 12!
UConn likes country music too so you can feel safe letting us in.

Brad Paisley To Perform Free Concert At Gampel Pavilion

upload_2016-9-28_14-11-51.png

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

No, no, no. What you do...is build up Tolland county. Stamford sucks for a lot of reasons. It's crowded and it isn't affordable for anyone, let alone a new college grad or student. Traffic is abominable. NYC is exactly the kind of place you want to be 2 hours away from. Close enough to go if you want, far enough to not be affected by it on a daily basis.

Build a real college town. Lure 2-3 companies to the new technology center. With them come employees. Build some houses, some condos, a decent supermarket and movie theater. A freaking Taco Bell and a Burger King. A bowling alley...preferably one like this. Add a few more bars, some with live music. A real college town is a glorious thing.

One of the really interesting things I learned in my three years in Lawrence, KS, was that former students liked it so much that many didn't want to move to KC or St. Louis or Chicago or Dallas. So businesses took advantage of that and the place kept growing.

Reaction Score
No, no, no. What you do...is build up Tolland county. Stamford sucks for a lot of reasons. It's crowded and it isn't affordable for anyone, let alone a new college grad or student. Traffic is abominable. NYC is exactly the kind of place you want to be 2 hours away from. Close enough to go if you want, far enough to not be affected by it on a daily basis.

Build a real college town. Lure 2-3 companies to the new technology center. With them come employees. Build some houses, some condos, a decent supermarket and movie theater. A freaking Taco Bell and a Burger King. A bowling alley...preferably one like this. Add a few more bars, some with live music. A real college town is a glorious thing.

One of the really interesting things I learned in my three years in Lawrence, KS, was that former students liked it so much that many didn't want to move to KC or St. Louis or Chicago or Dallas. So businesses took advantage of that and the place kept growing.

I used to be of that mindset. I've been to Lawrence and it is an awesome college town. I've also been to Vanderbilt in the heart of Nashville and that's awesome as well.

I guess the question is, if we're talking what's best for the school and the state 25 years from now, is it more feasible to actually build up Tolland County or consider a move to Stamford?

In Stamford the business infrastructure is already there and the benefits have already been laid out above.

At a time when businesses are leaving Connecticut, is it feasible to really think you can get some big names to incorporate out of Tolland County?

Reaction Score
To be honest....most of what gets played on "country stations" these days is NOT really country music. It's Bro-country...some kind of ugly marriage of country, hip hop and electronic crap.

100% my feelings on Brad Paisley and his kind of country.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
100% my feelings on Brad Paisley and his kind of country.

I hate the Florida -Georgia Line country-rap stuff. Brad Paisley is not that. He's very witty and a great guitar player. It's more like old southern rock than anything else really. And the songs are funny in a Van Halen kind of way (Ticks, Online, Alcohol...).

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Move the campus to the Rent. Keep the Ag school with the cows in Storrs and let ECSU have the rest of the buildings. Demo and sell everything on the other side of 195.

If you wanted to do such a thing.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Alternate timeline UConn with its main campus in Stamford would have enjoyed a much faster growth curve after WWII, eventually being similarly positioned as Maryland in College Park in the 80s or Rutgers in the 2000s. In this scenario it's possible UConn football would have played as a I-A independent instead of the YanCon, joined the BE as a full member and either wound up in the ACC in the first raid or on the Big 10.

Anyway all this stuff will be moot when they finally invent Star Trek transporters and we'll be playing against University of New South Wales and King Abdullah University of Science and Technology.

Reaction Score
Alternate timeline UConn with its main campus in Stamford would have enjoyed a much faster growth curve after WWII, eventually being similarly positioned as Maryland in College Park in the 80s or Rutgers in the 2000s. In this scenario it's possible UConn football would have played as a I-A independent instead of the YanCon, joined the BE as a full member and either wound up in the ACC in the first raid or on the Big 10.

Anyway all this stuff will be moot when they finally invent Star Trek transporters and we'll be playing against University of New South Wales and King Abdullah University of Science and Technology.

What's hilarious is what got me thinking about this was Musk's big Mars announcement yesterday.

If we can send men to Mars, UConn can move it's campus to Stamford.

Think big people!

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Building up Tolland County is more of a pipedream than moving the entire school to Stamford. A modest mixed use development was proposed just off Exit 68 and the locals went straight to DEFCON 1.

Reaction Score
500-1,000 is not traveling well for FB. Typical allotment to visiting teams is 3-5k tickets depending on the size of the stadium. Schools that are consider to travel well don't return tickets allotted to them.

Or they just don't order what they are allotted to order;)

Kirk Bohls@kbohls 5 hours ago
Big 12 policy allows visiting schools up to 3,850 tickets. Texas requested only 1,700 for Oklahoma State game.

Reaction Score
Opinions on the state government aside, the benefits of having a campus in an urban setting like Stamford as opposed to Storrs means you don't need as much land. Buildings are bigger and can house more programs and lecture halls. Can also reduce the number of dorms in an urban campus as more students will be able to find affordable apartments as the total number of housing is more readily available than in Storrs-Mansfield.

It wouldn't be an easy undertaking by any means and there would be a ton of time needed to get it done, but if you are looking for a way to stimulate UConn and the entire state's economic growth in the future, that's where the solution is.

Total pipe dream on my end, but hey, I think it would be great for the school and the state in the longterm.

To be an urban university and a land grant university at the same time is almost a conflict as a land grant university, such as UConn and most state flagships universities are, need land for the agricultural programs, which do still play an important role. U Minnesota, for example, is located in the hear of Minneapolis; but, also owns a huge tract of land on the north side of St. Paul for their agricultural programs.

As for urban living, the 'old' was for students to live in non-university residences in place like Boston and New York; but, do to costs, public relations/conflicts, fostering strong university communities, and money (universities want student to spend money on the school instead of a third party) that trend has flipped and most urban universities like Temple, NYC, BU, Northeastern, and even Emerson are no building their own residences. Such residences can be larger in an urban environment and thsi trend does not apply to 'commuter' schools; but, the top universities now want 75% of their students 'on campus.'

Reaction Score

No Taco Bell in Storrs? There was one back in the '90's as I remember walking over from Alumni several times late at night. Especially the time when a dormmate spike my fruit punch with Tobasco sauce during lunch and as revenge, I added a 'layer' to his Run to the Border order that i picked-up for him consisting of a lubricated, ribbed Trojan (not used, please, I'm not that sick).

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
No Taco Bell in Storrs? There was one back in the '90's as I remember walking over from Alumni several times late at night. Especially the time when a dormmate spike my fruit punch with Tobasco sauce during lunch and as revenge, I added a 'layer' to his Run to the Border order that i picked-up for him consisting of a lubricated, ribbed Trojan (not used, please, I'm not that sick).

In the mid 80's we had Gumby's pizza, Teds grinders, and Wawa hot dogs. That was the sum total of the entire food availability on campus (apart from eating in at Huskies). I think we had Dominoes too, but Gumby's was better. Now if you had a car...Willington Pizza and Chuck's Margaritaville were possible. Kathy Johns too I suppose.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom