Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 155 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

Reaction Score
John E. Hoover ‏@johnehoover · 15h15 hours ago
John E. Hoover: Creating #Big12 network before expansion would be a mistake
Here’s why creating a Big 12 network first is a bad idea

“Where do we stand on expansion? It depends on the answer to the first question (about a network),” Boren said. “… Then it comes down to what schools are available.

“We have another consulting group looking at all these schools — 80, 50, it’s a large number. All the schools that might be available — even some that probably wouldn’t be but might be, if you could find someone that wanted to change conferences that’s out there.”

pj

Reaction Score
“Where do we stand on expansion? It depends on the answer to the first question (about a network),” Boren said. “… Then it comes down to what schools are available.

A hint that some schools they want may not be available.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I think every B12 candidate is trying to line up corporate sponsors now on the heels of FedEx/Memphis talk...

Santa J. Ono‏@PrezOno
GE's big addition to the Cincinnati riverfront $1B impact on Cincy http://cin.ci/27n5nvO via @enquirer

proxy.jpg

Reaction Score
What Oklahoma president Dave Boren's recent comments may mean for Big 12 expansion and a Big 12 network

So if Texas decides to fold in the Longhorn network, does the Big 12 suddenly get a network?

Not necessarily. The struggles of the Pac-12 network seem to highlight the importance of getting a broadcast partner. So somebody actually needs to want to buy a Big 12 network. And based on this recent reporting from Jake Trotter at ESPN (that's a guy you should be following if you care about this story, btw), that's a complicated question.

"I feel that the Big 12 network is an uphill battle," the insider said. "Nobody in the industry wants to spend money right now in the satellite or cable distribution world. Nobody wants to dance in this climate. That is the biggest issue with a [Big 12] network."

Another industry insider indicated that the Big Ten's massive deal does "Show there's money for live content", but the Big Ten's properties, for a variety of reasons, would be more profitable on the open market. If ESPN or Fox buys a Big 12 network, they'd need to buy out the other for their share of the current rights. They would need to expand to increase the inventory of events, and bring in properties that not only gave access to new TV markets, but were marketable in their own right. And all of this, in a more challenging media environment than before, would need to make enough money to pay off Texas, etc off the top, and still be more profitable than their current system.

Is that possible? Maybe! I've been told, and I certainly also believe, that any possible expansion candidate would be taking a serious haircut as far as revenue shares as they moved into the league. It's hard to see how this would work while also handing out huge checks to new members, but that's what the league hopes to answer during these meetings at the end of the month.

What does that mean for BYU?
I have personally felt that BYU's best chance for admission would be if the Big 12 decided to expand but did not create a conference network. After all, without a network, teams with middling athletic departments but access to larger TV markets, like say, UConn or USF, basically have no argument. I think that is still possible, but less likely, compared to either starting a TV network, or just doing nothing.

What Oklahoma president Dave Boren's recent comments may mean for Big 12 expansion and a Big 12 network

Reaction Score

So if Texas decides to fold in the Longhorn network, does the Big 12 suddenly get a network?

Not necessarily. The struggles of the Pac-12 network seem to highlight the importance of getting a broadcast partner. So somebody actually needs to want to buy a Big 12 network. And based on this recent reporting from Jake Trotter at ESPN (that's a guy you should be following if you care about this story, btw), that's a complicated question.

"I feel that the Big 12 network is an uphill battle," the insider said. "Nobody in the industry wants to spend money right now in the satellite or cable distribution world. Nobody wants to dance in this climate. That is the biggest issue with a [Big 12] network."

Another industry insider indicated that the Big Ten's massive deal does "Show there's money for live content", but the Big Ten's properties, for a variety of reasons, would be more profitable on the open market. If ESPN or Fox buys a Big 12 network, they'd need to buy out the other for their share of the current rights. They would need to expand to increase the inventory of events, and bring in properties that not only gave access to new TV markets, but were marketable in their own right. And all of this, in a more challenging media environment than before, would need to make enough money to pay off Texas, etc off the top, and still be more profitable than their current system.

Is that possible? Maybe! I've been told, and I certainly also believe, that any possible expansion candidate would be taking a serious haircut as far as revenue shares as they moved into the league. It's hard to see how this would work while also handing out huge checks to new members, but that's what the league hopes to answer during these meetings at the end of the month.

I have personally felt that BYU's best chance for admission would be if the Big 12 decided to expand but did not create a conference network. After all, without a network, teams with middling athletic departments but access to larger TV markets, like say, UConn or USF, basically have no argument. I think that is still possible, but less likely, compared to either starting a TV network, or just doing nothing.

So is he indirectly saying BYU has no chance?

Reaction Score
Tim Brando ‏@TimBrando May 3
.@DanWolken Schools in the AAC had better understand how good they've got it. West Virginia was a reach, and Memphis, UCONN, Cinn. are too.

Dan Kowalski ‏@aimlessblade 11h11 hours ago
@TimBrando how can you say "UConn doesn't realize how good they have it" when a school like Rutgers is making 55 million a year?

Tim Brando ‏@TimBrando 5h5 hours ago
.@aimlessblade The AAC is winnable for them potentially and a New Years SIX is valuable. UCONN should wait on the ACC after ND joins in FB.

Dooley ‏@DooleyMcStitch · 5h5 hours ago
@TimBrando @aimlessblade Agree that @UConnFootball can win the AAC in '16 and maybe get to a NY6. But, UConn has to jump at the first offer.

Tim Brando ‏@TimBrando · 5h5 hours ago
.@DooleyMcStitch @aimlessblade @UConnFootball Ya better think BIG picture as you get your Athletic Dept. together. Just sayin'

Last edited:

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score

This is the kind of stuff that irks me.

Reaction Score
Tim Brando ‏@TimBrando May 3
.@DanWolken Schools in the AAC had better understand how good they've got it. West Virginia was a reach, and Memphis, UCONN, Cinn. are too.

Dan Kowalski ‏@aimlessblade 11h11 hours ago
@TimBrando how can you say "UConn doesn't realize how good they have it" when a school like Rutgers is making 55 million a year?

Tim Brando ‏@TimBrando 5h5 hours ago
.@aimlessblade The AAC is winnable for them potentially and a New Years SIX is valuable. UCONN should wait on the ACC after ND joins in FB.

Dooley ‏@DooleyMcStitch · 5h5 hours ago
@TimBrando @aimlessblade Agree that @UConnFootball can win the AAC in '16 and maybe get to a NY6. But, UConn has to jump at the first offer.

Tim Brando ‏@TimBrando · 5h5 hours ago
.@DooleyMcStitch @aimlessblade @UConnFootball Ya better think BIG picture as you get your Athletic Dept. together. Just sayin'
AAC is as big picture as it gets.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
This is the kind of stuff that irks me.

I thought Brando's understanding of all this was a lot deeper than his statements indicate. So many of these "sports guys" are completely myopic in terms of evaluating a new athletic conference member. They don't seem to understand that the ability to generate revenue is dependent on markets and overall content not on last year's flashy QB.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score

Did this person seriously just call UConn's athletic department middling? That may well be the dumbest statement in the past couple of months of conference realignment pseudonews. Our AD bascially shares the top 2 spots with BYU and there is noone else in the G5 close, and we're realistically superior to many P5 and with a golden ticket would surpass about half of the schools.

Reaction Score
"Middling". There are about 350 D1 schools and A handful of them have more successful athletic departments overall. Even saying they are more successful is a stretch. They just have bigger football brands.

We are being trolled. Everyone knows UConn isn't middling. Say what you want about UConn football (mostly unfairly) but middling does not describe UConn athletics. Wow.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I think every B12 candidate is trying to line up corporate sponsors now on the heels of FedEx/Memphis talk...

Santa J. Ono‏@PrezOno
GE's big addition to the Cincinnati riverfront $1B impact on Cincy http://cin.ci/27n5nvO via @enquirer

proxy.jpg
*Yawn*
upload_2016-5-15_11-39-45.png

Other candidates talk about "plans" to upgrade their facilities, or the possibility of corporate sponsorship. Only one has already gotten it done.

Compare, the Burton, Shenkman and Werth Family facilities to any in the country and UConn comes out on top.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
GE won't spend a penny on anything that does not bring value+ to GE.

Especially since their HQ is in Connecticut and will be in Boston. Cincinnati is claiming GE somehow?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

Did this person seriously just call UConn's athletic department middling? That may well be the dumbest statement in the past couple of months of conference realignment pseudonews. Our AD bascially shares the top 2 spots with BYU and there is noone else in the G5 close, and we're realistically superior to many P5 and with a golden ticket would surpass about half of the schools.

So re-educate the scumbag.

pj

Reaction Score
Mandel's assumption they could
sell 11 million subs at $250 is pretty aggressive.

"Pretty" is understatement. LSU-Alabama is about as marquee as you can get and if 11 million people watch for free, the amount watching for $250 per person would be far, far smaller.

Reaction Score
GE Aviation is based in Evendale Ohio ...

And GE Capital is in NYC. GE's got their hands in everything, the original posters point was that their corporate HQ is what really matters.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
And GE Capital is in NYC. GE's got their hands in everything, the original posters point was that their corporate HQ is what really matters.

Capital is still in Norwalk. As I understand it, only 200-ish GE employees are going to Boston from Fairfield...the rest are going to Norwalk.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom