Key Texas Booster Ticked Off Over Strong | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Key Texas Booster Ticked Off Over Strong

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
My experience with people from Texas is that many of them are some of the most arrogant @holes on the planet.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Sounds like he's lashing out over Texas' place in the world, whining that everyone didn't consider it a supreme honor to set foot there.

Reaction Score
I don't think Strong is a good fit for TX because of his personality. The coach at TX has to deal with the Billy & Bobs as much as the Jimmy and Joes.

I get the feeling Strong wants to let his coaching speak for himself. Don't think thats enough at TX unless he starts winning NCs stat.

If he wins a NC he'll get a pass.... for about 8 months

Believe it or not, Red's given name is "Billy Joe."

Reaction Score
Not sure how this is racist. The guy may be, but I don't see how his quotes are. Dismissive, yep, out of touch, sure, but it sounds just like Burton's outburst about Pasqualoni...

Burton had a wealth of personal interactions with PGDL. He knew the score.

Reaction Score
Can't bring up UT without this..
texas-tailgating-girls.jpg

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
Except Burton was right. Charlie Strong has had very recent success and is a coach on the rise. Pretty much the antithesis of PP.

I'm not 100% sold on Strong until he can do it without Bridgewater.

RR looked great with Pat White at QB. He is a .500 coach without Pat White at WVU, Michigan and Arizona.

Reaction Score
Red is pissed because he wanted Gruden:

"I was not on the search committee. I had no official role whatsoever," McCombs said. "However, the people that were in charge were aware that I was talking to Jon and I was trying to develop some interest with Jon."

Reaction Score

RR looked great with Pat White at QB. He is a .500 coach without Pat White at WVU, Michigan and Arizona.

I think Texas should have gone nuclear and went for Sumlin. I watched the BCS game on ESPNnews and he was impressive. He's like a mellower Samuel Jackson with Bill Walsh level football genius. How could somebody not want to play for him? I thought Addazio was really impressive too.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Red is pissed because he wanted Gruden:

"I was not on the search committee. I had no official role whatsoever," McCombs said. "However, the people that were in charge were aware that I was talking to Jon and I was trying to develop some interest with Jon."

It's funny how much this situation parallels ours. Big booster's choice gets no play. Guy goes off shortly after the hire. Insults the new coach. Of course, their guy gave over 100M. Ours, a bit less than that.

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
I think Texas should have gone nuclear and went for Sumlin. I watched the BCS game on ESPNnews and he was impressive. He's like a mellower Samuel Jackson with Bill Walsh level football genius. How could somebody not want to play for him? I thought Addazio was really impressive too.

Sumlin has the same concern as Strong. How good will he be without one of the greatest QBs in college history?

Reaction Score
Sumlin has the same concern as Strong. How good will he be without one of the greatest QBs in college history?

Sumlin has a history of having a good QB and getting results with him based on his time at Houston.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
It's funny how much this situation parallels ours. Big booster's choice gets no play. Guy goes off shortly after the hire. Insults the new coach. Of course, their guy gave over 100M. Ours, a bit less than that.

I would say another difference is that there are probably at least a dozen boosters similar in stature and influence of McCombs.

It's almost alarming that there's only one who has gone public with his displeasure.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score

People would have said the same about Sumlin. "What can he do without Johnny Football?" Truth is he didn't do a ton with Manziel except upset 'Bama last year and a lot of good that did. The Tide still won the National Championship.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Sumlin has a history of having a good QB and getting results with him based on his time at Houston.

Who is Strong naming as his Offensive Coordinator?

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Chances this exact reaction to the Strong hire from any Texas booster was going to happen: 100%
Chances this reaction came from a guy named, "Red": 80%
Chances the, "Would be a good position coach.." comment made about a black coach who went 22-3 the last two seasons is racist: 65%

Chances Strong is the HC at Texas 6 years from now: 20%
Chances Strong wins the B12 w/o his bag man recuiter: 10%

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Having Red McCombs mad about your coaching hire is like having Robert Burton mad if Burton were 385' tall.

It is a whole different ballgame.

From McCombs' perspective, I am sure Louisville is some mid-major from a conference he's never heard of and taking their coach is nothing impressive.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Having Red McCombs mad about your coaching hire is like having Robert Burton mad if Burton were 385' tall.

It is a whole different ballgame.

From McCombs' perspective, I am sure Louisville is some mid-major from a conference he's never heard of and taking their coach is nothing impressive.

That's what I was referring to earlier in the thread. Red McCombs by his own statements sees Texas as one of the top three universities in the country.

I'm going out on a limb that Louisville isn't one of the other two to make up that group.

Louisville is a B-rated actress to people of his ilk.

Husky25

Reaction Score
That's what I was referring to earlier in the thread. Red McCombs by his own statements sees Texas as one of the top three universities in the country.

I'm going out on a limb that Louisville isn't one of the other two to make up that group.

Louisville is a B-rated smut actress to people of his ilk.

Sometimes they do the best work...;)

cttxus

The CT-TX-US Connection: Historic, Alive and Well
Reaction Score
Its threads like this one that make me sad for some posters on this board. No doubt Mr. McCombs, at age 87, speaks his mind in a way that, frankly, many from his era did and still do, which is to say they are direct and sometimes not entirely politically correct. I know, I have a 93 year old father-in-law from Ohio, an 88 yr old mother-in-law from Kentucky, and an 88 yr old mother from Rhode Island, among others I speak with often. And they all talk that way to one degree or another. I just don't see the alleged racism in Mr. McCombs' statement but I do see some pretty sad and disappointing responses to his comments from posters on this board.

If those of you with negative opinions of Mr. McCombs statement (which does seem somewhat uninformed) had any real interest in being fair before posting your own type of stereotypical nonsense, and had spent just 1 minute Googling his name, you would have discovered another side to Red McCombs. For one thing, he and his family are one of twelve of the wealthiest families in the US who have joined with Warren Buffet and Bill & Melinda Gates to pledge most of their family's HUNDREDS of BILLIONS of dollars of wealth to philanthropy when they die. I could go on but won't.

I guess those crazy, ultra-rich people have figured out a way to make sure none of their hard earned money finds its way into the hands of minorities, right? Geeze guys, look in the mirror and get honest with yourself before mindlessly bashing others.

Jax Husky

Reaction Score

Yes, but he also has a history of defenses that give up points by the dozen and has never had a decent running game, which makes me question how well he'll do without an elite QB

Reaction Score
Strong is a good recruiter not sure how good of an actual coach he is. If I were a big UT booster, I wouldn;t want strong as my coach. they could have done much much better than 'ol Charlie Strong.

Jax Husky

Reaction Score
Its threads like this one that make me sad for some posters on this board. No doubt Mr. McCombs, at age 87, speaks his mind in a way that, frankly, many from his era did and still do, which is to say they are direct and sometimes not entirely politically correct. I know, I have a 93 year old father-in-law from Ohio, an 88 yr old mother-in-law from Kentucky, and an 88 yr old mother from Rhode Island, among others I speak with often. And they all talk that way to one degree or another. I just don't see the alleged racism in Mr. McCombs' statement but I do see some pretty sad and disappointing responses to his comments from posters on this board.

If those of you with negative opinions of Mr. McCombs statement (which does seem somewhat uninformed) had any real interest in being fair before posting your own type of stereotypical nonsense, and had spent just 1 minute Googling his name, you would have discovered another side to Red McCombs. For one thing, he and his family are one of twelve of the wealthiest families in the US who have joined with Warren Buffet and Bill & Melinda Gates to pledge most of their family's HUNDREDS of BILLIONS of dollars of wealth to philanthropy when they die. I could go on but won't.

I guess those crazy, ultra-rich people have figured out a way to make sure none of their hard earned money finds its way into the hands of minorities, right? Geeze guys, look in the mirror and get honest with yourself before mindlessly bashing others.

Meh, I've known philanthropists that also held racist views. I won't pretend to know Red McCombs, nor will I judge him, but those comments were utterly moronic. Hopefully he was just speaking from the postition of being irate.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
Strong is a good recruiter not sure how good of an actual coach he is. If I were a big UT booster, I wouldn;t want strong as my coach. they could have done much much better than 'ol Charlie Strong.
Or could they? There is a reason they ended up with Strong. Apparently, none of the big names they coveted wanted the gig.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
No doubt Mr. McCombs, at age 87, speaks his mind in a way that, frankly, many from his era did and still do, which is to say they are direct and sometimes not entirely politically correct. I know, I have a 93 year old father-in-law from Ohio, an 88 yr old mother-in-law from Kentucky, and an 88 yr old mother from Rhode Island, among others I speak with often. And they all talk that way to one degree or another.

I think Aziz Ansari addressed this pretty accurately not too long ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom