Kevin Ollie | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Kevin Ollie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
$1Billion?

Upstater ... that's way off. Between the Malta Chip Fab infrastructure & the Nanoscale College, the State & Third Party have invested over $11 Billion ... by my count. And I am probably on the low side. (you have associated investment at IBM Fishkill & SUNY IT too) So ... I don't think there are many things comparable.

I was referring to state investments. I know there has been a lot of third party investment. And, I actually haven't followed this much from U. Albany's side other than reading a few articles. I believe the initial money was $1 billion.

Regardless, to say that New York is putting less into public education than states like Mass., or that the SUNY's are not in Umass's league, seems wrongheaded.

Reaction Score
Indiana is a very good great school. If you're there for music, that's an excellent program. I've had friends that went through it. That being said, accepting your own is a kind of in-breeding that's looked down upon, and that it happens at Indiana is quite surprising, given the rep of the music dept. there. In fact, many grad programs I know would never do this precisely because of the job market for PhDs. Hiring committees look askance at people brought up in one program.

I'm not sure what you mean by, "I wasn't talking about undergrads." Undergrads are the ones who apply to grad programs. Even in the case of PhDs, it's mostly undergrads applying to such programs, not MAs. That being said, at a top school like MIT, you MUST have a MA degree before applying to their PhD programs. Also, the original poster I responded to WAS referring to his children and SUNY, so he was talking about undergrads.

Yeah, it's just the second best music school in the US. :p

Reaction Score
I have nothing against Susan Herbst, and again, I hope she continues the upward trend of the university. But she still has a ways to go in terms of achieving her vision...

I guess my point is that she has a vision whereas Austin had lost his and Hogan never had one other than to find a way to some other "better" job.

Reaction Score
Yeah, it's just the second best music school in the US. :p

I used to teach Eastman kids for several years. They were all pretty good students. What ever happened to Juilliard and Berklee?

Reaction Score
I used to teach Eastman kids for several years. They were all pretty good students. What ever happened to Juilliard and Berklee?

Berklee was never a good music school (and I'm really quite serious in this, I've seen more failures than successes out of there.) Juillard is still up there but not as high as it used to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom