Kevin Ollie, UConn ready to rebound after rough season | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Kevin Ollie, UConn ready to rebound after rough season

Reaction Score
My god, put this to bed. Only in your mind are Wagner and Northeastern still hanging over the program. You are unhealthily obsessed.
It takes a really long time to beat a dead horse back to death when you're the only idiot taking part

Reaction Score
UCONN is an elite program and elite programs don't complain about unbalanced schedules. Some of you are trying to rationalize Ollies inability to win those games while at the same time touting his coaching greatness. You can't have it both ways.

PS: Oregon lost their 4 best players from last year while we return our 4 best players. That game is an absolute must win for team confidence and fan confidence in Ollie.

Reaction Score
Please point to a season where we were prepared for Nov. in recent history under Ollie.

2013 and 2014 I know that was so long ago and we better get some big wins in Nov and Dec if we want any chance at a decent NCAAT seed

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
while we return our 4 best players

in name or based on last years performance?
Huge difference

Reaction Score
This team will have three "tune-up" games that they will not only have to win, but have to develop some chemistry and ability to play together, some sense of a rotation, and Ollie will be able to see who wants it and will put in the effort. Then it's Oregon, who lost a lot from last year's team, and although it will be tough it's plausible. The 5th game against MSU I'm not liking. But a great start would be 4-1 at that point.

In December the gauntlet is Arizona-Auburn-Wichita State over 10 days. You need to find a way to not lose all three of those. Winning two of three would be solid.
Tough but plausible? There is absolutely no excuse to not beat Oregon this year. They lost Jordan bell, Tyler Dorsey, Dillon Brooks, Chris Boucher, Dylan Ennis, and Payton Pritchard.

Reaction Score
Hard to perform when you're redshirting.

You can argue about Vital >< Jackson.

Gilbert and Larrier were starters before they went down, and better than the guys that left. All of them.

At worst, we return our 3 best players. The 4th is debatable. There isn't a huge difference.

Reaction Score
And those wins apply to this current group how?

If you're responding to my post about Michigan St, Florida, and Kentucky, then you should read Palatine's post again.

He said "Ollie" has yet to demonstrate he can beat Yale, Wagner, and Northeastern.

The current group didn't beat MSU, Fla, and UK, but they also didn't lose to Yale, Wagner, and Northeastern.

But if someone is arguing that Ollie hasn't shown the ability to beat weak teams, it's absolutely relevant to remind that poster how silly he sounds.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
Tough but plausible? There is absolutely no excuse to not beat Oregon this year. They lost Jordan bell, Tyler Dorsey, Dillon Brooks, Chris Boucher, Dylan Ennis, and Payton Pritchard.
Tough because at that time they will likely be the most athletic team we've faced, and we'll need to be ready. Plausible because of all the personnel losses. Clear?

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
If you're responding to my post about Michigan St, Florida, and Kentucky, then you should read Palatine's post again.

He said "Ollie" has yet to demonstrate he can beat Yale, Wagner, and Northeastern.

The current group didn't beat MSU, Fla, and UK, but they also didn't lose to Yale, Wagner, and Northeastern.

But if someone is arguing that Ollie hasn't shown the ability to beat weak teams, it's absolutely relevant to remind that poster how silly he sounds.

Nope, I was responding to somebody else who said we own Arizona and we've beat them in December a couple times. So I asked how that was remotely relevant to this year's team? New year, new team. In fact, really new team.

Reaction Score
Nope, I was responding to somebody else who said we own Arizona and we've beat them in December a couple times. So I asked how that was remotely relevant to this year's team? New year, new team. In fact, really new team.
My mistake, that ignore feature has some drawbacks.

Reaction Score
We have a fairly decent roster despite numerous question marks. I think this will be the year that it becomes clear what kind of coach KO is. If he can keep the team ranked and relevant, I will be thrilled. That would be a huge step in the right direction.

Reaction Score
We have a fairly decent roster despite numerous question marks. I think this will be the year that it becomes clear what kind of coach KO is. If he can keep the team ranked and relevant, I will be thrilled. That would be a huge step in the right direction.

Keep ranked isn't going to be easy, but if he does that it will be impressive. I think the year will be judged more on how they are prepared for each game, how they compete and if they show they can win games they should while throwing a few surprise W's in. The hope is hanging around #25 as well as making the tourney. Not sure we should throw "numbers" around as the barometer as fans we will see what's going on and the direction this team is heading.

Reaction Score
Oregon is not losing Payton Pritchard and is bringing in a 5 * freshman and 2 of the best grad transfers. Extremely important game. They didn't gel until late last year so hopefully that continues.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Keep ranked isn't going to be easy, but if he does that it will be impressive. I think the year will be judged more on how they are prepared for each game, how they compete and if they show they can win games they should while throwing a few surprise W's in. The hope is hanging around #25 as well as making the tourney. Not sure we should throw "numbers" around as the barometer as fans we will see what's going on and the direction this team is heading.

The pre and early season rankings have done more harm than good. Until it's earned, rankings mean little.

pj

Reaction Score

Yes. In addition to competitiveness, team chemistry, preparedness, and winning, I will look at
  • the big man coaching. We have a lot of young big men and DK is coaching bigs for the first time. If we see the frontcourt develop that would relieve a lot of worries.
  • tempo. Can we push the pace offensively and defensively? KO has a full roster of his own recruits for the first time. The team should play his style. If he can't teach his own recruits to play his style, then he is still immature as a coach.

Reaction Score
Hard to perform when you're redshirting.
You can argue about Vital >< Jackson.
Gilbert and Larrier were starters before they went down, and better than the guys that left. All of them.
At worst, we return our 3 best players. The 4th is debatable. There isn't a huge difference.
C'mon. The 5 best players last season were Jalen Adams, Purvis, Vital, Jackson and either Facey or Brimah. The best returning players are Adams & Vital and that's it. After those 2 UConn lost 96% of the minutes played last year. Two guys that played less than 7 games total and 1 that played 0 are not returning players. Its a pretty simple definition of returning player to have played.

You can play semantics and say our top 4 talent is intact, but fact is they don't have playing experience and that's exactly why the early season learning to play together will take time and unknown if they will be firing on all cylinders early. Plus the fact that they haven't played and missed time makes us all nervous that something else injury-wise is unfortunately at least in play.

Reaction Score
@Dogdeacon

I'll give you Purvis, I forgot about him. It's not semantics. The only reason Jackson and Vital got the minutes they did is because Gilbert and Larrier were hurt.

Gilbert and Larrier played. They were starters. They will be starters again this year. You can pretend that's not the case to argue for the sake of arguing, but regardless, we return 3 of our best 4 players from last year.

If they aren't good enough to start, then this team is going to be really, really, good.

pj

Reaction Score
UConn v Oregon is a great matchup because the teams are comparably talented and both have a lot of newcomers and have to build chemistry fast. In that sense it is a great test for the head coaches - who can get their team up to speed fastest?

Reaction Score
@Dogdeacon

I'll give you Purvis, I forgot about him. It's not semantics. The only reason Jackson and Vital got the minutes they did is because Gilbert and Larrier were hurt.

Gilbert and Larrier played. They were starters. They will be starters again this year. You can pretend that's not the case to argue for the sake of arguing, but regardless, we return 3 of our best 4 players from last year.

If they aren't good enough to start, then this team is going to be really, really, good.
Its not for the sake of arguing, its the fact that they don't have a year of game experience and didn't spend enough time playing thru a season together. For example you cannot argue with this; UConn has to replace 96% of its minutes.
Therefore its nonsensical to say they'll accomplish that with 3 returning players. Two didn't play in the final 29 games and one never played at all. That's why every article about UConn mentions near total roster overhaul.

I agree that at a minimum the 3 most talented are still on the roster - only with the caveat that Larrier & Gilbert's lack of game/playing experience will be a hurdle to overcome especially with a brand new bigs.

Reaction Score
Yes. In addition to competitiveness, team chemistry, preparedness, and winning, I will look at
  • the big man coaching. We have a lot of young big men and DK is coaching bigs for the first time. If we see the frontcourt develop that would relieve a lot of worries.
  • tempo. Can we push the pace offensively and defensively? KO has a full roster of his own recruits for the first time. The team should play his style. If he can't teach his own recruits to play his style, then he is still immature as a coach.

On the topic of tempo, every year we hear that the team is going to run. I will believe it when I see it. Way too many 61-58 rockfights over the past 3 seasons in my opinion. If they can rebound and run a little, it will be fun to watch.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
UConn v Oregon is a great matchup because the teams are comparably talented and both have a lot of newcomers and have to build chemistry fast. In that sense it is a great test for the head coaches - who can get their team up to speed fastest?
How about home court factor?

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
On the topic of tempo, every year we hear that the team is going to run. I will believe it when I see it. Way too many 61-58 rockfights over the past 3 seasons in my opinion. If they can rebound and run a little, it will be fun to watch.
Part of the reason for that low scoring is because of tempo in the games UConn plays. And part of that tempo is the result of really good UConn defense.

But I agree UConn has not been able to put up numbers on offense. I can't believe the number of times players missed bunnies last season.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom