Kevin Ollie, UConn ready to rebound after rough season | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Kevin Ollie, UConn ready to rebound after rough season

Reaction Score
Don't care about the original argument, but was there significant question marks when he committed?

Anyone who watched those videos of him could tell that his path would not be a conventional one. Despite his size and talent, it was clear that he would have struggles off the court. Just being honest.

C

Chief00

Like Cobb and Whaley?

Which poster offered an alarm when Zach verballed? He was a top five center and I recall nothing but excitement about his commitment and a couple of feel good articles were posted about his difficult life. Link me one alarm you made that differed from the prevailing attitude in this forum at that time. I bet you can't.

The point I was making is that Once the sanctions ended KO and the coaches had stellar recruiting successes that for various reasons ended in failure. The narrative that some poster goes to Blaze and that fixed recruiting is pure BS.
LOL

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Don't care about the original argument, but was there significant question marks when he committed?
Ask them to show you their comments or comments by any poster that red flagged Zach at the time of his verbal. There were none.

It's a narrative after events played out. Alter the narrative and you reduce blame on the individual they're targeting - KO. This same thing occurred after the abysmal season Dyson's senior year with a significant number of posters targeting Jerome. People forget that there were many posters who not only blamed JD for that bad season but threw him under the bus several years afterwards arguing the same thing as Chief how JD was an awful player because he never won a NCAA championship.
You build better negative support if every facet of the target subject is questioned or demeaned. That is why several posters reduce or negate KO's role in the NC.

Reaction Score
Great interview, but I'm tired of getting sucked into preseason hype every year. I will forever back UConn basketball, but I'd love the W-L column to do the talking. Go 2-0 in the first two games and I'm happy.

Prove it KO. Prove that UConn basketball can still get it done. Win games and the fans will show up and support the squad.

Wordbomar

"Walker on McGee with four.."
Reaction Score
3-0 going into PK80 with 3 comfortable wins against lesser comp and I think people will feel better

ctchamps

Reaction Score
3-0 going into PK80 with 3 comfortable wins against lesser comp and I think people will feel better
Lose to Oregon and that happiness will be short lived for some. Quite a lot of fans in this forum with different takes on what qualifies as success.

I think the predominant viewpoint for a successful season is finishing no lower than fourth in the AAC and at least getting to the second round in the NCAA tournament.

Given that only two players have played significant minutes and given the need to band aid the front court, I would be ecstatic if one or both of those events happened.

Wordbomar

"Walker on McGee with four.."
Reaction Score
Lose to Oregon and that happiness will be short lived for some. Quite a lot of fans in this forum with different takes on what qualifies as success.

I think the predominant viewpoint for a successful season is finishing no lower than fourth in the AAC and at least getting to the second round in the NCAA tournament.

Given that only two players have played significant minutes and given the need to band aid the front court, I would be ecstatic if one or both of those events happened.

Completely agree Fleuds

Reaction Score
That has the makings of a great t-shirt theme, but who plays Sisyphus?

come on man, this is UConn, the whole team needs to be pushing that boulder

or just Jonathan

Reaction Score
Great interview, but I'm tired of getting sucked into preseason hype every year. I will forever back UConn basketball, but I'd love the W-L column to do the talking. Go 2-0 in the first two games and I'm happy.

Prove it KO. Prove that UConn basketball can still get it done. Win games and the fans will show up and support the squad.

Very true but he's been the same positive upbeat guy from day one so it's not like he's saying anything different. The 04, 11 and 14 teams all experienced low points during the season as this team will also. They'll get through it by staying positive and mentally tough and giving themselves a chance to make a run in the postseason. It all starts with their leader.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
This will be the year KO will prove if he knows how to coach basketball or not. As long as everyone stays relatively healthy, KO will have zero excuse to not be a top 25 basketball team this year. If KO fails to do so...I'd argue that KO is the cause of the issues. However, we'll see how it goes.

Reaction Score
This will be the year KO will prove if he knows how to coach basketball or not. As long as everyone stays relatively healthy, KO will have zero excuse to not be a top 25 basketball team this year. If KO fails to do so...I'd argue that KO is the cause of the issues. However, we'll see how it goes.

Palatine is that you?

Reaction Score
If this year's team isn't well coached it's absolutely time to wonder about KO's coaching ability. To think otherwise is comedy. If this team is well coached they'll be a top 25 team.

Just having fun, no doubt his ability to do something with this team is on the radar. Just not sure what that expectation is until we see the pieces on the court, but no doubt there needs to be a positive feel for the season and hopefully a tourney bid.

Last edited:

polycom

Reaction Score
Just having fun, no doubt his ability to do something with this team is on the radar. Just not sure what that expectation is until we see the pics on the court, but no doubt there needs to be a positive feel for the season and hopefully a tourney bid.

Fair fair. Well Jalen should at least be in conversation for AAC POY. From there we should be a solid team granted injuries are my concern.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
If this year's team isn't well coached it's absolutely time to wonder about KO's coaching ability. To think otherwise is comedy. If this team is well coached they'll be a top 25 team.

The big problem, as we all know, is the unbalanced schedule. It ain't like this team is an experienced bunch used to playing together. It will likely take them awhile to jell. That unfortunately means early losses. And that in turn puts significant headwinds on Top25 status. It's a lot easier to start high and not fall than it is to climb the ladder.

I'm hoping they do jell, and play really well in the AAC. And then show in both tournaments.

polycom

Reaction Score
The big problem, as we all know, is the unbalanced schedule. It ain't like this team is an experienced bunch used to playing together. It will likely take them awhile to jell. That unfortunately means early losses. And that in turn puts significant headwinds on Top25 status. It's a lot easier to start high and not fall than it is to climb the ladder.

I'm hoping they do jell, and play really well in the AAC. And then show in both tournaments.

We are going to get destroyed in dec but if we use that experience we should be dominate at the end of the season.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Lose to Oregon and that happiness will be short lived for some. Quite a lot of fans in this forum with di
fferent takes on what qualifies as success.

With our front court and the total lack of college D1 playing time, I think making the tournament would be success. I hope we catch lightening in a bottle, but in reality, getting to the NCAAs is decent improvement.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
This team will have three "tune-up" games that they will not only have to win, but have to develop some chemistry and ability to play together, some sense of a rotation, and Ollie will be able to see who wants it and will put in the effort. Then it's Oregon, who lost a lot from last year's team, and although it will be tough it's plausible. The 5th game against MSU I'm not liking. But a great start would be 4-1 at that point.

In December the gauntlet is Arizona-Auburn-Wichita State over 10 days. You need to find a way to not lose all three of those. Winning two of three would be solid.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
This team will have three "tune-up" games that they will not only have to win, but have to develop some chemistry and ability to play together, some sense of a rotation, and Ollie will be able to see who wants it and will put in the effort. Then it's Oregon, who lost a lot from last year's team, and although it will be tough it's plausible. The 5th game against MSU I'm not liking. But a great start would be 4-1 at that point.

In December the gauntlet is Arizona-Auburn-Wichita State over 10 days. You need to find a way to not lose all three of those. Winning two of three would be solid.
This is the key to the early season evaluation. It's anyone's guess if there is a front court presence to help a talented, albeit, somewhat rusty, backcourt.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom