Kevin Ollie Settlement | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Kevin Ollie Settlement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
On what basis, him being a bad coach or getting every penny the courts deemed he was owed?

It was a calculated risk by the university to fire him for cause. Turned out to not be a great one.

I think it's fair to believe these things at the same time:

1) He deserved to be paid his full contract based on the language and past precedent.
2) UConn made a mistake not just paying him from the start and washing their hands of him and the whole drama of this situation from the start.
3) Kevin Ollie stopped putting in any effort in his job and deserved to be fired.

Based on point 3, I have no issue with fans that don't ever want to see the guy in Gampel ever again.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Kevin Ollie can fall in a volcano as far as I‘m concerned.

You can screw up in 500 different ways as a college football or basketball coach and the pros will hire you to their scouting departments or wherever….but not a single organization outside of a for-profit high school outfit was willing to hire this idiot for any reason.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
That depended if they offered him the severance to go quietly
He would have jumped a 1+ million a year in 10 yearly installments. That a lot less painful and cheaper . There would have been no rift in the family and bitterness and UConn not only would have saved 3.9million but the legal fees and bad publicity.
Benedict screwed up in signing the extension ( 2016) without due diligence. Everyone but Benedict knew about KO’s state .
Then came up with crazy “for cause “ scorched earth plan. Dragging in UConn legends .
That’s failure of monumental proportions. Ollie needed an intervention not an extension.
This is just flat out wrong, but I have no desire to be what is now just the skeletal remains of the dead horse.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
He deserved to be paid his full contract based
clint eastwood Deserve's got nothing to do with it. GIF

Reaction Score

You can screw up in 500 different ways as a college football or basketball coach and the pros will hire you to their scouting departments or wherever….but not a single organization outside of a for-profit high school outfit was willing to hire this idiot for any reason.
Volcanoes are for cowards.

Reaction Score
I think it's fair to believe these things at the same time:

1) He deserved to be paid his full contract based on the language and past precedent.
2) UConn made a mistake not just paying him from the start and washing their hands of him and the whole drama of this situation from the start.
3) Kevin Ollie stopped putting in any effort in his job and deserved to be fired.

Based on point 3, I have no issue with fans that don't ever want to see the guy in Gampel ever again.

Now that the legal process has played out in his favor, I wouldn't mind seeing him take some level of responsibility for what happened. I'm not asking for an admission of guilt so much as an acknowledgement of his own problems and what he's done since to address them.

As an aside, I have no idea how Benedict is still employed here. He butchered this every which way and seems to get a lot of credit for things that fell into his lap.

Reaction Score

He had a three year NCAA ban remember. Plus once he sued he was most likely untouchable.
The guy was an alum , he had success both as a guard coach an a head coach and went off the rails . That happens all the time with people who gained celebrity status .
He probably was at his highest competence as an assistant. But that’s not his fault. plus look at the link .

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Now that the legal process has played out in his favor, I wouldn't mind seeing him take some level of responsibility for what happened. I'm not asking for an admission of guilt so much as an acknowledgement of his own problems and what he's done since to address them.

As an aside, I have no idea how Benedict is still employed here. He butchered this every which way and seems to get a lot of credit for things that fell into his lap.

I think the best thing Ollie can do right now is just go away. I wouldn't be surprised if fans are more willing to accept him back (to honor the 2014 team) down the road, but the wounds are way too fresh right now.

Reaction Score

I agree with your 2nd paragraph. The first not so much. This closes the chapter on this saga once and for all.

Reaction Score
I think the best thing Ollie can do right now is just go away. I wouldn't be surprised if fans are more willing to accept him back (to honor the 2014 team) down the road, but the wounds are way too fresh right now.
I think Ollie eventually comes back to campus in his 60s and Shabazz is the one who makes it happen that’s my prediction. Think it would happen after the Hurly tenure, would be way too awkward for Ollie to be back while Hurley is a current HC which I hope he is for the next 20-30 years.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

You're probably right - it might take a while.

Reaction Score

Not a chance he's admitting to any type of wrong doing. Lawyers would never allow him. Also, I think the article mentioned KO and UCONN are both legally prohibited from publicly commenting further.

Reaction Score
The pettiness and vindictivness of some posters on here is amazing. Hopefully none of you ever screw up, make a mistake or have circumstances that make you lose your way. It's all water under the bridge...welcome him back at any point in time because I'd bet that he's done more for UCONN than the people complaining have.

Reaction Score
UCONN couldn’t make their charges stick, they should have been smart and settled. He won a national championship and we have morons here calling him a loser? He and his staff put together an incredible and improbable run no matter his other team’s later failures down the road. Calhoun got out of coaching when he did exactly why? (And I love the guy). Did we forget what went down? After that title KO could not get recruits that were very good and I was sure surprised by that but the national negative drumbeat against the University was unbelievable for a long time. (We were on the freaking nightly news) I do not exonerate KO for the way he fell apart with his divorce but we have to be real here, how many schools want but can’t sniff one national title?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

I'd toss the arbitrator in with him. Never should have had to pay him a nickel. To pay him more for damage to his reputation is absurd, especially since they never said anything about him that wasn't accurate. He destroyed his own reputation.

Reaction Score
The pettiness and vindictivness of some posters on here is amazing. Hopefully none of you ever screw up, make a mistake or have circumstances that make you lose your way. It's all water under the bridge...welcome him back at any point in time because I'd bet that he's done more for UCONN than the people complaining have.
Boy if I could 11 to 15 million for screwing up that would be awesome. Really I’m sure he’s a real Saint. Don’t forget it goes both ways UConn did a lot for him and his wallet.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

Lol…stop.

”Oh, he lost his way….”

He’s a bad human being - he didn’t lose his way, that was his way. The ”he changed after his divorce’ crowd never asks why he got divorced, do they?

He can come back after the stroke of never.

Reaction Score
Boy if I could 11 to 15 million for screwing up that would be awesome. Really I’m sure he’s a real Saint. Don’t forget it goes both ways UConn did a lot for him and his wallet.
Then, or now, or both?

Reaction Score
I think Ollie eventually comes back to campus in his 60s and Shabazz is the one who makes it happen that’s my prediction. Think it would happen after the Hurly tenure, would be way too awkward for Ollie to be back while Hurley is a current HC which I hope he is for the next 20-30 years.
No predictions, but Bob Knight did come back to Indiana, albeit not in his 60's.

He was greeted favorably, but unfortunately , needed a bit of assistance.

wheelerdog

#OneForTheThumb
Reaction Score
I don't think he ever steps foot in Gample again

wheelerdog

#OneForTheThumb
Reaction Score
No predictions, but Bob Knight did come back to Indiana, albeit not in his 60's.

He was greeted favorably, but unfortunately , needed a bit of assistance.
Bob Knight didn't take Indiana to court for $15 million.

I donate to the university. If they ever have him back my donations cease.

Reaction Score
Lol…stop.

”Oh, he lost his way….”

He’s a bad human being - he didn’t lose his way, that was his way. The ”he changed after his divorce’ crowd never asks why he got divorced, do they?

He can come back after the stroke of never.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jamie Taco

Top Bottom