Kevin Ollie, Future or Not? | The Boneyard

Kevin Ollie, Future or Not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Athlete94

UCONNGRD
Reaction Score
Now is the time if Husky Nation sees if Ollie can build a winner long term or if the success will be short lived. Don't get me wrong, I'm a supporter. However, in today's game, you need some sort of inside outside threat to win national championships . If Ollie can't get a Big Man on campus that can dominate, it's going to be a short lived reign in Storrs. Every championship UCONN has won, has had that dominate inside/outside threat. In fact, look at most every team that has own, each team had the guard/big man combo. In Ollie 's short term at the helm, he's shown he can land recruits. The question is, our they the right recruits that wins championships. This is an important time in UCONN athletics, between Football and Basketball, UCONN needs championships to be relevant in conference realignment.

Reaction Score
Now is the time if Husky Nation sees if Ollie can build a winner long term or if the success will be short lived. Don't get me wrong, I'm a supporter. However, in today's game, you need some sort of inside outside threat to win national championships . If Ollie can't get a Big Man on campus that can dominate, it's going to be a short lived reign in Storrs. Every championship UCONN has won, has had that dominate inside/outside threat. In fact, look at most every team that has own, each team had the guard/big man combo. In Ollie 's short term at the helm, he's shown he can land recruits. The question is, our they the right recruits that wins championships. This is an important time in UCONN athletics, between Football and Basketball, UCONN needs championships to be relevant in conference realignment.
That he broke a clipboard is great news. That he didn't rip someone's head off and down their neck is a bit discouraging. That team needed the latter last night.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
He can recruit, but I haven't seen anything special in terms of coaching the game. He lets his players play too much and sometimes they shoot themselves in the foot.

Reaction Score
I was thinking the exact same thing. I love the guards and wings, but we are missing the guy that can bruise under the hoop. I am not looking for a superstar (that would be great though), just somebody that can finish and rebound. Lubin could be the start of that, but we will need more bodies like that if we want to challenge at the top level. Still a believer.

Reaction Score
He's a young coach and learning as we go…..he's the answer and we're in good hands. When you're (not you but all of us) bitching about a team that is 11-2 because they hit a speed bump you're okay! Let's see what happens but KO is the guy already and he'll get better!

Reaction Score
Nothing major will happen in terms of a big muscle guy this year. However, hopefully things can be changed for next year.

Lubin is going to bring instant muscle to this team. Already at 246lbs. and being 6'8" he will be a bruiser down low. He's currently averaging about 20pts. and 11-12rbs. a game.

Then Nolan, Brimah, and Facey will all be stronger next year.

For all of you guys to be saying this year is lost is absolutely crazy. WE ARE 11-2! We have had a rough stretch of games. It happens. We should be fine.

Reaction Score
He's a young coach and learning as we go…..he's the answer and we're in good hands. When you're (not you but all of us) bitching about a team that is 11-2 because they hit a speed bump you're okay! Let's see what happens but KO is the guy already and he'll get better!
OK, but what about next year? No development happening here. SN gone, TO gone, LK gone, NG gone. RB? DD? I can't see either leaving (based on my own opinion), but not real sure they would be a plus next year. The team is settling for lots of one-on-one, ball screens with zero pick-and-roll. It looking like a bad NBA game right now. And I really like KO. I only wish him many years of brilliant success. Just hope it starts soon.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
OK, but what about next year? No development happening here. SN gone, TO gone, LK gone, NG gone. RB? DD? I can't see either leaving (based on my own opinion), but not real sure they would be a plus next year. The team is settling for lots of one-on-one, ball screens with zero pick-and-roll. It looking like a bad NBA game right now. And I really like KO. I only wish him many years of brilliant success. Just hope it starts soon.
We'll be better next year because of Hamilton, Purvis, and Lubin. Plus the frontcourt gets a year to get bigger.

Reaction Score
When people look at the recruiting and coaching landscape across the country, what do they see? Who do they like? Tom Crean? Shaka Smart? Who would you trade Kevin Ollie for right now?

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score

qft

I believe KO is going to be great for our program, and I think he's still learning how to be a head coach

Reaction Score
When people look at the recruiting and coaching landscape across the country, what do they see? Who do they like? Tom Crean? Shaka Smart? Who would you trade Kevin Ollie for right now?

I don't want Tom Crean.

I don't want Shaka Smart.

I want to beat an 8-5 Houston team with an unimpressive resume and playing without 3 players. I'd like to not be so unready that we fall down by 20 points to said team. That's what I want right now. If we can't do that than we have some problems in Olliewood.

Reaction Score
Not fair to blame KO for the frontcourt issues. Once again, im not trying to beat a dead horse...but some kid by the name of Roscoe Smith who leads the NCAA in rebounding would be a senior on this team. That fact cannot be ignored. The reason why he transferred had nothing to do with Kevin Ollie.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
And the major flaw of this team is not having a dominant interior player. How is this on KO? He's playing with a dealt hand. RS transferred before KO took the helm. Wolf got in trouble. TO was a back up. Brimah and Facey are JC's recruits. KO didn't get a contract until half the season was over so this years class is outstanding relative to the uncertainty of last season, but how can he be judged for any shortcomings with this team or even next years team. And yet he will be by those people who need immediate results.

It's easy to insist on results. We sit and bitch about things as if we could do better. I seriously doubt any of the biggest complainers have a decent handle on how to coach. But bitching is easy because no one can be asked to demonstrate they can do things better and that gives people a sense of empowerment. I'm willing to wait another four years before making up my mind.

Reaction Score
Athlete94 said:

Every championship has had a dominant inside/outside threat - other than 1999 and 2011. But the rest of them, yes.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Last night was an X's and O's problem, not an effort or talent problem. This is not just Ollie's problem. We have 2 former HC's on staff. There should be no way that team with that staff loses to Houston.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Last night was an X's and O's problem, not an effort or talent problem. This is not just Ollie's problem. We have 2 former HC's on staff. There should be no way that team with that staff loses to Houston.
The best post player didn't practice before the game. He came in but had to be taken out after a couple of minutes. No X's and O's can be made up for four on five.

Reaction Score
Every championship has had a dominant inside/outside threat - other than 1999 and 2011. But the rest of them, yes.

I was gonna say...when I think of dominant NCAA big men, my list definitely starts with Voskuhl and Oriakhi.

But never mind, like many other posters the OP is on a roll. Don't let the facts get in the way of good old overwrought hand-wringing.

Reaction Score
I don't want Tom Crean.

I don't want Shaka Smart.

I want to beat an 8-5 Houston team with an unimpressive resume and playing without 3 players. I'd like to not be so unready that we fall down by 20 points to said team. That's what I want right now. If we can't do that than we have some problems in Olliewood.

So what coach can give us that?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Nothing major will happen in terms of a big muscle guy this year. However, hopefully things can be changed for next year.

Lubin is going to bring instant muscle to this team. Already at 246lbs. and being 6'8" he will be a bruiser down low. He's currently averaging about 20pts. and 11-12rbs. a game.

Then Nolan, Brimah, and Facey will all be stronger next year.

For all of you guys to be saying this year is lost is absolutely crazy. WE ARE 11-2! We have had a rough stretch of games. It happens. We should be fine.
Thank you! Occasionally reason finds its way onto the board.

Reaction Score
fleudslipcon said:
And the major flaw of this team is not having a dominant interior player. How is this on KO? He's playing with a dealt hand. RS transferred before KO took the helm. Wolf got in trouble. TO was a back up. Brimah and Facey are JC's recruits. KO didn't get a contract until half the season was over so this years class is outstanding relative to the uncertainty of last season, but how can he be judged for any shortcomings with this team or even next years team. And yet he will be by those people who need immediate results.

It's easy to insist on results. We sit and bitch about things as if we could do better. I seriously doubt any of the biggest complainers have a decent handle on how to coach. But bitching is easy because no one can be asked to demonstrate they can do things better and that gives people a sense of empowerment. I'm willing to wait another four years before making up my mind.

Brimah was KO's - and frankly a pretty good spring signing. He's shown some flashes and has contributed to some close wins early on, so he's given us something - definitely glad we got him. Whether he gets better from here or if he'll just be a guy who blocks a few shots here and there, that remains to be seen,

Reaction Score
We'll be better next year because of Hamilton, Purvis, and Lubin. Plus the frontcourt gets a year to get bigger.

Counting on Lubin to be some sort of savior is a bit much. We know next to nothing about him and he is not highly rated. Facey was a top 100 recruit and he's nowhere near ready. Lubin is a top 250 if that. Like the muscle for sure, but let's not get ahead of ourselves.

Reaction Score
I am sick of seeing that same type face expression (eyebrows squinted/open mouth/frustration head shake)--I want to see the old Jim Calhoun technical foul actions to wake the team up to get their tails in gear. Seldom do I see him even standing up. This team needs coaching excitement if you ask me. Also, why does Ollie trust Kromah more than NG?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom