Kevin, get a technical when it means something, | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Kevin, get a technical when it means something,

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
I agree with the play Enoch more comments. AB is simply a liability on both sides of the court. Yes, he's such a bad rebounder he even hurts us on defense.

At least Steve gives us something on offense, he was part of our big first half run.

Reaction Score
From what I saw, Enoch missed a few defensive assignments when he was out there in 2nd half. Need to watch the replay, but I think he was the guy who lost the big guy who hit a 3.

Yeah but he scored a few times and Brimah didn't play any D, he was lost the whole game it too fast for him too. So I take the guy who can score. If Enoch got the ball on the low pst in position to score as much as Brimah did last night we would've scored more points period and it was points we needed. Needed more Steve and less AB.

Last edited:
C

chiller99.5

IMHO when fans state "give" Enoch playing time just firms up the point he hasnt been "earning" playing time in practice.We didnt seem to have anyone who could guard Grey in the second half and taking Brimah out of the post where he could swat was a big mistake.Enoch could have could have grabbed some rebounds and could have scored etc is but when in this magical new and improved Enoch going to do it consistently?

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
IMHO when fans state "give" Enoch playing time just firms up the point he hasnt been "earning" playing time in practice.We didnt seem to have anyone who could guard Grey in the second half and taking Brimah out of the post where he could swat was a big mistake.Enoch could have could have grabbed some rebounds and could have scored etc is but when in this magical new and improved Enoch going to do it consistently?
Catch the ball above his waist.

Rebound the ball.

Set proper screens.

Score.

Reaction Score
He was doing it last night, and Ollie inexplicably benched him.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
At this point, I'd play Justin Brown instead of Brimah, if he were still on the team. I'd even play the man whose name shant be mentioned instead of Amidah.

Reaction Score

That's hilarious, swat what? He was never in the right position to swat anything he was dreadful. #15 drove the lane in the 2nd half and right into Brimah who at the time last his guy Meyer and at that point should have gone for the block but instead he retreated to get the rebound, which he lost to Meyer anyway and they scored. He also watch #25 walk by him twice without offering a hand never mind a block. Anyone who is supporting him in this game didn't watch it or doesn't know the game because he killed them last night!

Reaction Score
He was lost out there and had no physical presence, defense becomes even more porous with him in there.

Overrated. How many teams that will be playing in the big dance have these "great" shot blockers? How many even block many shots? It's overrated, not every shot that he blocks would've gone in and I'd prefer a guy who can actually defend the post like expected and then get a rebound of a miss. Not sure we have one I admit but I like our chances better than having that guy out there. After last night it is confirmed those who think we will miss him will be surprised.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Overrated. How many teams that will be playing in the big dance have these "great" shot blockers? How many even block many shots? It's overrated, not every shot that he blocks would've gone in and I'd prefer a guy who can actually defend the post like expected and then get a rebound of a miss. Not sure we have one I admit but I like our chances better than having that guy out there. After last night it is confirmed those who think we will miss him will be surprised.

I have a friend who sat and watched the game with us last night. Brimah is her favorite player on the team. She loves him because he's so awkward and clumsy. She also loves the look on his face every time he commits a foul. I tell her she feels sorry for him because he's so pathetic. I teased her throughout the game, calling for him to be permanently stapled to the bench. She wanted to beat me up outside after the game, but instead we went to the bar and drowned our many sorrows.

Reaction Score
like when maybe you can finally get a call, because when you get a T with the ball down 5 and only 50 seconds left, you guaranteed your team that has a chance is going to lose

and there's no time for calls yo help you anyhow

priceless
K
He does not use technicals strategically. He gets them when he loses it emotionally.

This is all part of learning to work the refs. Until the develops that skill, we are at a disadvantage.
he has been the head coach for 5 years. How long are you giving him to learn one of the basic things a friggin high school coach knows? This is something he should have learned in the MAAC not at UConn.

C

chiller99.5

Dude I said Brimah was out of the post guarding out of position Meyer,,,r.i.f....Okafor didnt block key shots, or Thabeet orDrummond now your just being silly.

Reaction Score
Dude I said Brimah was out of the post guarding out of position Meyer,,,r.i.f....Okafor didnt block key shots, or Thabeet orDrummond now your just being silly.

Please don't compare him to Okafor or Thabeet, this isn't close. The could defend, rebound, block shots and guard the post you can't even mistakenly throw his name in that hat it's ridiculous.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I take a stance somewhere between you and @chiller99.5. KO has been using AB as a defensive stopper during this recent run. He's been putting in AB at the end of games to eliminate some of the opposing teams ability to drive to the basket and score particularly because by the ends of games the guards are getting tired or are in foul trouble. It's a decent strategy in spite of AB's limitations because Steve is the polar opposite. He doesn't move his feet when players drive to the hoop resulting in either a foul or allowing the players to get around him and make an easy shot.

So I don't agree with people who want Steve in at the end of games based on this game. But in the Houston game it was obvious, as you pointed out, that Amida was completely unable to do any observable thing. It was his worst game and I, like you, felt KO was hoping beyond hope Amida would turn things around. That might have been bad coaching imo. But it is just an opinion. See the next paragraph. The technical was inexcusable.

Now all of us can only state that leaving in Amida was a disaster. What none of us can know for certain is that putting in Steve would have resulted in a better outcome. It may have even been worse because players like Grey and Dotson might have done even more damage at the end of this game by driving to the hoop once Kentan and Rodney picked up four fouls. We can't be certain about how much Amida's presence in the paint eliminated some of this.

C

chiller99.5

Please don't compare him to Okafor or Thabeet, this isn't close. The could defend, rebound, block shots and guard the post you can't even mistakenly throw his name in that hat it's ridiculous.
Never said that lets stick to the point, mines is that shot blocking is a key to our defense and drives are funneled into the big man be it Thabeet,Brimah or Joe Blow how successful they might be its the position not the player.Not trying to be argumentative just understand my point is all I ask.

Reaction Score
Never said that lets stick to the point, mines is that shot blocking is a key to our defense and drives are funneled into the big man be it Thabeet,Brimah or Joe Blow how successful they might be its the position not the player.Not trying to be argumentative just understand my point is all I ask.

Ok I get your point but the only way shot blocking is a key to your defense is if the guy who can block shots can play defense. He is rarely in position to do what it takes to be a good defender, blocking 2.7 shots doesn't make him that he actually is less affective than a solid low and high post defending 5 who understands the game and rebounds the ball on misses.

C

chiller99.5

Understood, and this game no one stepped up defensively
“We did a [film] edit just on how many shots [Amida] Brimah blocked,” Houston coach Kelvin Sampson said. “And I think that scared the bejesus out of them from going out and shooting over him. Any time you collapse a defense, it comes down to making the right play, and the right play is usually not throwing it up over his outstretched arms. It’s usually making the extra pass, and that’s what we were good at today, moving the ball. Sometimes it took three passes and sometimes it took seven, but we were patient enough to move it and we usually wound up with a good shot. … I felt we played with a high basketball IQ today.”

Reaction Score
A college kid with the nickname "chicken" did a more effective job advocating for calls for his team last night than KO did

Reaction Score
“We did a [film] edit just on how many shots [Amida] Brimah blocked,” Houston coach Kelvin Sampson said. “And I think that scared the bejesus out of them from going out and shooting over him. Any time you collapse a defense, it comes down to making the right play, and the right play is usually not throwing it up over his outstretched arms. It’s usually making the extra pass, and that’s what we were good at today, moving the ball. Sometimes it took three passes and sometimes it took seven, but we were patient enough to move it and we usually wound up with a good shot. … I felt we played with a high basketball IQ today.”

He's so right, make him play defense use his guy to beat them because he always leaves him, has no idea when to stay home or leave to make a play made the wrong decisions all night. Hence being completely outplayed by a 6'8" whit guy who isn't all that good buy played a lot smarter and tougher.

Reaction Score

In defense of this statement about funneling in, maybe even our own guards feel at times it's ok to play loose and slough off their guy since he's in the middle waiting. Problem is he's not that guy and last night really went above and beyond to prove that. Again not all on him because others weren't great but he was bad.

Reaction Score

i.e. "all it takes is a tiny amount of basketball IQ to outsmart Brimah, and he's completely neutralized"

Reaction Score
Tell that to Oakfor. The shots that he blocked and altered in 2004 literally won the championship for Uconn. He took that team on his back defensively, in large part. Without him, Uconn goes out against Duke (if they are lucky) with a wimper and maybe a 10 to 15 point loss. A great shot blocker changes the game. I am not claiming Brimah is even close to Oakfor, he could not even hold a candle to 04 Oakafor. But to act like it does not make a difference is hyberbole.

Silk31

Foot Stays on Gas
Reaction Score
Brimah is a great help defender in terms of blocking shots but he has no IQ or awareness otherwise and it certainly showed in the 2nd half last night. He was never in proper position and the lane was wide open for drives and the amount of second chance points was alarming.

Not sure why Enoch didn't get more burn in the 2nd half after showing very well in the 1st. After watching their guards/wings beat our perimeter defenders time after time off the bounce and with our team battling foul trouble I thought KO really missed the boat to go more zone at a critical juncture in the 2nd half. This would have also ensured Brimah would be patrolling the paint rather than floating around doing lord knows what out there.

Reaction Score
I think that is twice this year that Ollie has severely handicapped this team in close game situations at the end of the 2nd half. I am not saying Uconn would have won either of those games, but HE took that chance away before the players could decide for themselves on the court. These kind of random outbursts at the end of the game are very concerning to me. I sincerely hope he learns to work the refs throughout each game rather than ¨blow up¨ once things boil over at random junctures of the season. This is not okay.

H

huskymagic

i.e. "all it takes is a tiny amount of basketball IQ to outsmart Brimah, and he's completely neutralized"

Tenspro your a smart guy you know better. When Kelvin Sampson says their gameplan focused on neutralizing Brimah why would he do that if he didn't think highly of him. Sampson didnt say he was worried about Ollies offensive or defensive schemes or Jalen Adams beating them, but he was worried about Brimah's effect on the game. That tells you all you need to know about who Houston and Sampson respect on this UCONN team. A team doesn't need everyone to have the same skillset, ad I have no doubt that Sampson would love to have Brimah instead of say Myers or Chicken on his roster. That Houston team would probably have been the next SMU with Brimah.

Remember what Sampson said after he drubbed us a month ago without Adams, he said "Good coaching thats what UCONN HAD" not what they have now, but what they had in the past. Sampson is a smart guy and his messages are crystal clear regarding UCONN.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom