Kevin, get a technical when it means something, | The Boneyard

Kevin, get a technical when it means something,

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
like when maybe you can finally get a call, because when you get a T with the ball down 5 and only 50 seconds left, you guaranteed your team that has a chance is going to lose

and there's no time for calls yo help you anyhow

priceless

Reaction Score
He did not have one of his better nights tonight.

The biggest mystery to me is why he abandoned Enoch, who was having one of his most effective games on both ends. Especially when Brimah was ... well ... not.

I'm not saying they should abandon this season, but I hope we don't regret not seeing more developmental minutes from Enoch when next year rolls around.

Reaction Score
He doesn't work the refs throughout the game, continues to incur one-sided officiating, and then compounds it in a fashion that reduces our chances of winning to zero.

Getting a T with a minute to go doesn't earn respect, it looks whiny.

Get a T at the 12 minute mark. Or, better yet, voice displeasure to the officials throughout the game short of getting a T.

This is one aspect of coaching he just hasn't grasped and -- 5 years in -- it's questionable whether he ever will.

Reaction Score

The biggest mystery to me is why he abandoned Enoch, who was having one of his most effective games on both ends. Especially when Brimah was ... well ... not.

I'm not saying they should abandon this season, but I hope we don't regret not seeing more developmental minutes from Enoch this season.

From what I saw, Enoch missed a few defensive assignments when he was out there in 2nd half. Need to watch the replay, but I think he was the guy who lost the big guy who hit a 3.

Reaction Score
like when maybe you can finally get a call, because when you get a T with the ball down 5 and only 50 seconds left, you guaranteed your team that has a chance is going to lose

and there's no time for calls yo help you anyhow

priceless
He gets a pass because of all the injuries.

Reaction Score

I'm not saying they should abandon this season, but I hope we don't regret not seeing more developmental minutes from Enoch when next year rolls around.

I wouldn't even be opposed to starting Enoch from here on out. Why he didn't get more playing time tonight is beyond me. I hope Ollie doesn't use him like Facey and not start him until his senior year.

Reaction Score
What was he complaining about? Did the refs even make a call on who touched it last? I didn't see any call until after they looked at the monitor. And it looked like it went off Adams but they gave the ball to UConn.

Reaction Score
From what I saw, Enoch missed a few defensive assignments when he was out there in 2nd half. Need to watch the replay, but I think he was the guy who lost the big guy who hit a 3.
The problem I have is that one missed assignment should lead to a benching for the rest of the game - particularly when your seniors are making mistake after mistake without consequence.

Don't get me wrong, I think the young guys should have to earn their minutes, but you do need to allow them to play through some mistakes. The lack of consistency with those leashes is what bothers me most.

Reaction Score
It's an enormous flaw in his coaching and has been since he's been here. Calhoun is the best I've ever seen at working the refs, half the time he just intimidated them into giving us calls, Ollie is clueless in this regard. I'm sure he's had many others but the only technicals I ever remember him getting ended any chance of his team winning the game, that's really bad. He needs to have a serious talk with Calhoun about the art of working the refs.

C

Chief00

The other thing is these crazy gimmick defenses leave us in really bad rebound position - when we are naturally poor rebounders to begin with.
Agree on the T comments - get it earlier.

C

Chief00

It's an enormous flaw in his coaching and has been since he's been here. Calhoun is the best I've ever seen at working the refs, half the time he just intimidated them into giving us calls, Ollie is clueless in this regard. I'm sure he's had many others but the only technicals I ever remember him getting ended any chance of his team winning the game, that's really bad. He needs to have a serious talk with Calhoun about the art of working the refs.
I don't think he will be talking to Calhoun after abandoning man to man defense.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I prefer not to see the coach get technicals.

But if you have to get them, do not get them where Kevin likes to get them.

Also, I would be thrilled if Ollie could somehow find a way to prevent his team from giving up massive runs in almost every game. It makes for fun comebacks against bad teams, but it just makes losses against even marginally competent teams like Houston.

Reaction Score
What was he complaining about? Did the refs even make a call on who touched it last? I didn't see any call until after they looked at the monitor. And it looked like it went off Adams but they gave the ball to UConn.

He was complaining about the hack of the arm, and the non-call came just after the two fouls on Purvis and Facey that knocked them out of the game, both of which were bogus. He had a right to be pissed, but I don't think he was deliberately trying to get T'd up. He was near the UConn bench.

Reaction Score
He played in the second half? And letting that Meyers kid take a three, while maybe being a missed assignment, isn't a mistake, Brimah didn't guard him beyond the elbow all game. I think its unfair to bench Enoch when he was 3-3 from the field and hitting the boards for missing one defensive assignment in a half where everyone looked sloppy.

Reaction Score

At least Enoch could've grabbed some rebounds there in the second half. Defense was not our problem. We just had zero inside play on offense for the whole second half. This allowed their perimeter defense to be WAY over-aggressive beyond the 3-point line, and we had no way to counter it.

Reaction Score
At least Enoch could've grabbed some rebounds there in the second half. Defense was not our problem. We just had zero inside play on offense for the whole second half. This allowed their perimeter defense to be WAY over-aggressive beyond the 3-point line, and we had no way to counter it.

They were both bad. Enoch let that short Dutch kid shoot right over him, no attempt at even a block.

Reaction Score
They were both bad. Enoch let that short Dutch kid shoot right over him, no attempt at even a block.

True, but at least his offense would have offset some of his defensive mistakes. They had trouble guarding him and getting him out of the paint.

Reaction Score

Adams was hit across the chest when he was in the air (missed foul), and came down with both feet (walk), then as he flipped it up, the ball and his were swiped (either a foul or out of bounds off Houston). This was at point where anything our way would put us in good position, and a call against put us two possessions down. It was hard not to be pissed. Heck, I almost drew a technical at the bar, but the bartender was on my side.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
636105299923578088-1610436935_its%20fine.jpg

That fire's getting bigger if we fire Ollie and hire whomever your preferred candidate is.

Reaction Score
That fire's getting bigger if we fire Ollie and hire whomever your preferred candidate is.

While this is true, and on the whole - yes, I'd agree that firing Ollie isn't the solution to anything yet - those flames you're talking about are already getting bigger with him here.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
While this is true, and on the whole - yes, I'd agree that firing Ollie isn't the solution to anything yet - those flames you're talking about are already getting bigger with him here.

So imagine what it looks like with some random A10/CAA coach. Again, as crappy as the situation is now, it is not getting better with someone else at the helm.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
True, but at least his offense would have offset some of his defensive mistakes. They had trouble guarding him and getting him out of the paint.
They figured out a way to neutralize him on offense but perhaps playing more would have allowed him to score.

The big thing is that Dotson and Grey were beginning to penetrate and score and we needed a shot blocker to neutralize them. Unfortunately Kentan was in foul trouble and Amida chose a bad time to have one of his worse games.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom