Kevin Freeman to be Named New Assistant Coach | The Boneyard

Kevin Freeman to be Named New Assistant Coach

Reaction Score
Great to have Kevin Freeman back on the sidelines he is so familiar with. I think Viking said it best regarding the way he played, bringing that to the assistant coaches job should prove to be successful. He should be a good one, who better to understand and tell the story of UConn and the Big East?

Welcome back Kevin and best of luck joining Danny's excellent staff. We're back!

Reaction Score
I think Hurley sees Kevin as a fast rising young coach, full of potential and commitment, to his work, and to this university, and he's giving him a wonderful opportunity to succeed at the highest levels. He doesn't really have to get Kevin to "buy in", KFree already bleeds blue.

Great hire!

Reaction Score
Verdict will still be out if this will be a good hire. This is no slam dunk hire like hunter and young were as they came with great experince and recruiting ties. I personally was hoping for a more experienced coach with the dc ties but i guess that boat sailed when talks with Webster ended last week. Hopefully we are saving a good amount of money with this hire and he can learn the trade better under our experienced coaches. Welcome back to the Husky Family Kevin!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Hey listen yes we all want a flashy hire but I’ll take a guy that’s not gunna bolt in 2-3 years with a lot of potential. He has so much to bring. Also opens up the door to past alums.

Moore and Freeman are both guys here for 3-6 years now. Lots of stability. Kimani needs to be a priority to lock up. Give him a pay raise because Freeman probably isn’t even touching 200k.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Having two alums from our first two National Championship teams on the coaching staff should also pay dividends, both in recruiting and, hopefully, showing our players what it's like to have been there before while they are making their way through the NCAAs.

Reaction Score
Happy for one of our Mount Rushmore of UConn's toughest warriors.

Hoping for the best that he learned some lessons under the unmitigated disaster of the KO reign. I expect he has. Can he pull his weight in recruiting? That is the big ?, but the staff has recruiters so not a huge worry .

LOVE IT for stability, tying to our past players + former players who may still be a bit butthurt about KO. Kevin knows the effort and intensity it takes to cut down the nets and what it takes here. That's HUGE!

**He will also add on to the Toughness our program has shown mentally under the Hurley regime and the tremendous strides in the weight room** I think this is understated!!!

Kind of similar to last year when the one UConn women's assistant quit/couldn't coach and they brought in a former player to fill her spot who sounds like she was like a KFree herself and the team immediately got tougher physically.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Verdict will still be out if this will be a good hire. This is no slam dunk hire like hunter and young were as they came with great wxperince and recruiting ties. I personally was hoping for a more experienced coach with the dc ties but i guess that boat sailed when talks with Webster ended last week. Hopefully we are saving a good amount of money with this hire and he can learn the trade better under our experienced coaches. Welcome back to the Husky Family Kevin!
What happened with hunter??

Reaction Score
Hopefully he does well here. If Danny trusts him to get the job done then we have no reason not to. Lets go KFree

Reaction Score
I think Hurley sees Kevin as a fast rising young coach, full of potential and commitment, to his work, and to this university, and he's giving him a wonderful opportunity to succeed at the highest levels. He doesn't really have to get Kevin to "buy in", KFree already bleeds blue.

Great hire!

Loyalty and Longevity. That's my simple breakdown for our beloved casual fans.

#LoyalandFree

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
Great hire — KFree has a reputation as a very hard worker on the trail — and it shows so much about Hurley’s character. He understands the best way to rebuild isn’t to create an entirely new thing that’s all about him; it’s to tie his era to Calhoun’s.

He doesn’t feel threatened by that legacy. That matters to me (and to a lot of other folks here, I suspect).

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I am good with this hire. I really think we can afford for that 4th assistant slot to be a somewhat developmental coach. Kevin bleeds blue and we know how hard he works. He has learned from Calhoun and others and now can learn from a Hurley. I think the Hurley family knows a thing or two about not just coaching players, but coaching coaches.

Reaction Score
What happened with hunter??
He left but that tends to happen when you have a good coach that other schools want. It was still a great hire at the time and he definitely paid dividends on the recruiting end of things. Verdict is still out on how good Freeman will be with recruiting. I trust in Hurley knows what he is doing.

Reaction Score
He played hs ball in NJ. Does the ban on Jersey players extend to the coaching ranks?

KFree was an undersized big man not a guard. I always said Jersey has decent small forwards and big guys, but for the most part the guards stink.

To answer your question: No. Coaching and playing are two very different things. Not comparable.

Reaction Score
KFree gets to tell recruits that he was part of one of the four National Championships that UConn has won. Combine that with his toughness and work ethic and I am very happy with this addition to the staff. Real nice to have Taliek and KFree on the staff too, That certainly will help from a public relations and former player standpoint.

Reaction Score
A move made to try and appease the vocal alum who remain loyal to the last head coach. I suspect there was some pressure on Danny from above on this one. Regardless, while not my first, second, or third choice, I hope Kevin crushes it and serves me a doody sando on a plater.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom