Kevin Freeman to be Named New Assistant Coach | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Kevin Freeman to be Named New Assistant Coach

Reaction Score
I find that to be a rather myopic view, but we can agree to disagree.

Since I have no idea what your point is, definitely. He makes decisions that he thinks will lead to championships. If you think that’s short-sighted, we‘re back to agreeing to disagree.

Reaction Score
Since I have no idea what your point is, definitely. He makes decisions that he thinks will lead to championships. If you think that’s short-sighted, we‘re back to agreeing to disagree.
Dan Hurley is an employee at the end of the day. He has superiors to answer to. And they have superiors above them. He isn’t making decisions in a silo. I’m sorry you can’t understand that.

Reaction Score
Dan Hurley is an employee at the end of the day. He has superiors to answer to. And they have superiors above them. He isn’t making decisions in a silo. I’m sorry you can’t understand that.

You’ve greatly misinterpreted this decision and don’t seem to have an understanding of who shares the same ideas and goals. Again, you can think he’s wrong, but don’t get it twisted.

Reaction Score

UCDaveD's posts in this thread become funny if you read them out loud in your best Dwight Shrute voice impression.

(posts/avatar) ;)

Reaction Score
This rumor is just sooooo ugh just infuriatingly wrong. You don’t pay a coach 3 mil to then say he can’t hire a guy for the salary he was paying Kenya. UConn has made a huge investment in basketball and they aren’t going to all of a sudden demand Hurley hire coaches for less. It makes no sense. Hurley wouldn’t be here if that was the case.
The whole boneyard throws hell when someone suggests a bigger money school could poach Hurley from us. If UConn did in fact tell Hurley he couldn’t hire a better coach then yea it’s gunna happen quicker than we think

Reaction Score
Wonder if Hurley tries to develop him as a dmv recruiter?

That’s not really how recruiting works. The relationships he has or develops with coaches needs to be authentic. As he develops a reputation as a great coach (hopefully for big men), I think we can expect him to create a more national footprint. Hurley and Tom are the two that we can rely on to recruit nationally as our recruiting continues to improve. Especially Tom... he knows EVERYONE.

I suspect Kevin will be tasked with using his connections in the northeast and NJ. He may even have some connections for international recruiting—he must’ve played for 10 teams around the world if I remember correctly.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
That’s not really how recruiting works. The relationships he has or develops with coaches needs to be authentic. As he develops a reputation as a great coach (hopefully for big men), I think we can expect him to create a more national footprint. Hurley and Tom are the two that we can rely on to recruit nationally as our recruiting continues to improve. Especially Tom... he knows EVERYONE.

I suspect Kevin will be tasked with using his connections in the northeast and NJ. He may even have some connections for international recruiting—he must’ve played for 10 teams around the world if I remember correctly.
You don't think Hurley or Tom could introduce him to coaches in the dmv? I almost don't mind not leaving the north east if we keep recruiting this well, but id like to have the option of sending an assistant out occasionally.

Reaction Score
You don't think Hurley or Tom could introduce him to coaches in the dmv? I almost don't mind not leaving the north east if we keep recruiting this well, but id like to have the option of sending an assistant out occasionally.
Don’t underestimate how big recruiters current players on our roster can be. Diggins showed that.

Reaction Score

They also have the time, with the ‘21 class wrapped up (yes, I know, but they’re not taking anyone until there’s a definite opening) and some very strong connections with the ‘22 class. Kevin is not an unknown in the game and to coaches, and the UConn brand is strong.

C

Chief00

A big Congratulations KFree from Chief. Great to have you back home again ........and now you can actually hit the recruiting trail with all guns Blazing.

Looking forward to watching some Calhoun style rebounding drills - LOL - Who’s going to mop the blood off the floor? Danny Hurley Sr?

Reaction Score

I’m saying that like... if Hurley says “hey coach x this is Kevin our new DMV recruiter” he’s going to get laughed out of college basketball. After 3 years talking with coaches at EYBL events, on the phone, at HS games, on visits, etc. we can expect any one of our coaches to have the clout to recruit any given area. But they can’t develop inauthentic connections. The best assistants in the country have a region they recruit well, generally. Usually because they played and grew up there. Same is true for our staff.

Because Tom and Hurley have years of experience and reputations they’ve developed, it makes much more sense for them to work on DMV or any other area of the country outside New England, NY and NJ. Especially since we have such a strong recruiting base in the northeast building up, and can afford to start to spend some time elsewhere potentially.

As a leader, you don’t put people in a position they can’t succeed. Kevin can’t Succeed recruiting the DMV right now. It makes much more sense to have him identify and recruit talent where he already has connections. PSA has a TON of new talent coming in, for example. Bunch of foreign kids coming in... France, Spain, Bahamas... couple kids from NY and maybe PA if I remember correctly. Freeman has already shown he can recruit there, so scouting players at PSA would make more sense and lead to more recruiting wins for our team.

Reaction Score
A big Congratulations KFree from Chief. Great to have you back home again ........and now you can actually hit the recruiting trail with all guns Blazing.

Looking forward to watching some Calhoun style rebounding drills - LOL - Who’s going to mop the blood off the floor? Danny Hurley Sr?

Capitalizing the B in "Blazing"...I see what you did there Chief!

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Capitalizing the B in "Blazing"...I see what you did there Chief!

He also capitalized the 'C' in congratulations...CB? Sounds to me like Chief is saying that Freeman is going to focus on the Crested Butte, Colorado area for recruiting.

Reaction Score
If you think about it, it works on many levels. Probably a lower salary than Hunter, allowing DH to spread some $$ to Young & Moore. Doesn't disrupt the staff hierarchy as he is the Jr. guy. He is also a link to former guys if TB decides to look for a coaching slot and goes elsewhere, as Kfree did.

Reaction Score
I do wonder if hiring Freeman limits the opportunity for Taliek to step into an assistant role here. If Kimani leaves in the next few years, I would think we would backfill with a proven commodity. Unless Freeman kills it early on I think this limits Talieks ability in the near term.

Reaction Score

And I assure you there isn’t a direct line employee/boss hierarchy like you are implying when it comes to DH. Stars are treated differently, they have leverage.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score

I would take the L on this one. I don't think going at NJHoops for not understanding is the right ticket ... I have no idea who he/she is but they know their stuff.

Dan Hurley is an employee, but if you think the Head Basketball coach at UConn is answering directly to his "superiors" about staff hires in the same way other organizations or departments at a school do, you are definitely wrong. The AD isn't telling him who to hire for his asst jobs, nor is the President telling the AD to tell Hurley who/why to hire someone for an asst job. And again, I'd venture to say NJHoops does understand whatever goes into the decision.

You are entitled to think what you want about the actual hire, but I think you're greatly misreading what went into the decision making.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom