Kenya Hunter to Indiana | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Kenya Hunter to Indiana

Reaction Score
The takeaways really depend on the details here.

If he's leaving for more money and a bump in title (would he be Associate Head Coach at IU?), it's hard to spin that as reflecting negatively on UConn.

If it's a purely lateral move for the same money and title, just to be with Archie Miller, that's not a great look.

As far as the impact on recruits who have already committed? Seems unlikely to matter all that much. The bigger effect is likely to be on player development and future recruiting, though we're in good shape there at the moment.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Ah, the mighty Big 10. The Big 10 has won one national championship in the past 30 years and the Michigan championship was stolen from Seton Hall.

Evidently Kenya had a slightly different perspective.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
I wish Hawkins would tweet or something and just say he is remaining committed to UConn. Kenya is replaceable, losing Hawkins would be a bigger blow at the moment.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Ah, the mighty Big 10. The Big 10 has won one national championship in the past 30 years and the Michigan championship was stolen from Seton Hall.

michigan and Michigan state are the flag bearers but Indiana is still a big hoops brand.

also, definitely a foul in the backcourt was missed. Would’ve been wild to see hall have more time to get a shot off

Reaction Score
michigan and Michigan state are the flag bearers but Indiana is still a big hoops brand.

also, definitely a foul in the backcourt was missed. Would’ve been wild to see hall have more time to get a shot off
Worst call ever to decide a championship in any sport, Clougherty apologized to Seton Hall and PJ handled it with grace which saved Clougherty.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Worst call ever to decide a championship in any sport, Clougherty apologized to Seton Hall and PJ handled it with grace which saved Clougherty.

it was bad (although justice Winslow being out of bounds twice against Wisconsin was objectively bad). But there was a foul in the backcourt that they missed.

Reaction Score
it was. But there was a foul in the backcourt that they missed.
That type of thing is never called to decide a game, much less a championship game. Watch the NBA playoff games, that type of contact on the other side of the court happens a dozen times a game with no call.

Reaction Score

this is an easy article to write but absolutely no merit. UConn could absolutely have paid Kenya enough to stay.

Reaction Score
Quite the Pat Forde-ish take there by Kent Sterling.

Who I also imagine to be a crusty sports writer who hates everything.

Kent.

Sterling.

He just screams weekend sports guy on your ABC affiliate.

Reaction Score
Per this Borges article, Hawkins HS coach says he’s committed to UConn and doesn’t expect that to change. Article says players understand that assistants move around a lot and that he didn’t just commit because of Hunter.

Not bad news. I’ll wait till the LOI is signed, sealed and delivered. Hope Lil Sool is keepin the pressure on him

Reaction Score
And here I thought some guy was bad...

There's literally no new reported substance to that article.
But this isn't summer camp where you work with buddies. This is big boy basketball where assistants earn more than $300K. Hunter was paid $315K at UConn. You can bet he received a significant bump for the move to Bloomington.

Like lol what?

If you're a reporter, maybe try doing some reporting? Find out for sure?

Reaction Score
There's literally no new reported substance to that article.

Like lol what?

If you're a reporter, maybe try doing some reporting? Find out for sure?

He didn't even do the basic due diligence to see what other Indiana assistant coaches are making.

Reaction Score
Hunter left a Big Ten school to come to UConn, so maybe your imagination sucks.
I was just thinking that the big 10 schools are in much better financial shape than UConn. I read the CT news and all I saw over the past many months is how dire the financial situation was with UConn athletics. How some state representatives thought that further funding of UConn should not be done. If I was an employee, I would be concerned about my future in a place that is constantly on the receiving end of bad reviews by its own state media. I see the big 10 as a deep well of financial stability. Yes, they may have an issue with covid, but they will recover more easily than a school that was in trouble before it even started.

Reaction Score
I was just thinking that the big 10 schools are in much better financial shape than UConn. I read the CT news and all I saw over the past many months is how dire the financial situation was with UConn athletics. How some state representatives thought that further funding of UConn should not be done. If I was an employee, I would be concerned about my future in a place that is constantly on the receiving end of bad reviews by its own state media. I see the big 10 as a deep well of financial stability. Yes, they may have an issue with covid, but they will recover more easily than a school that was in trouble before it even started.

You think that Kenya was worried that UConn might cut the basketball program?

Reaction Score

this is an easy article to write but absolutely no merit. UConn could absolutely have paid Kenya enough to stay.

Quick search has these base salary figures at Indiana. According to this, Kenya was earning more than Bruiser Flint and pretty much equal to their Associate Head Coach. That rumor that he took a paycut to go there might be true. Kenya will take Indiana’s unlimited recruiting budget to finish middle of the pack behind Rutgers in the Big Ten with good recruits. Way to win Ken.

Reaction Score
UConn basketball does not have real a financial problems. It will be supported to compete at the highest level. It defines the entire university as a winner and a big time school.

UConn definitely has budget concerns but the men’s basketball team will be last to suffer.

Reaction Score
Public services can have alllll the deficits in the world, doesn’t mean a thing. UConn will spend and spend on basketball because that’s one of the few tangible investments that can pay back the university

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom