Kenya Hunter to Indiana | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Kenya Hunter to Indiana

Reaction Score
How does this change our standing specifically with any recruits he has been working for UCONN. I'd imagine guys that have not committed he can try to pull to IU? What about guys that have committed and have yet to sign? Are we in danger of losing these guys in our 2021 class? That's what I'm most concerned with but admittedly know little about.

Hunter was the point man on Hawkins so people have expressed concern there. No evidence of that actually happening though yet. Shouldn’t be an issue at all with the other two guys.

Reaction Score
If we lose Hawkins as a result of this it will suck. That being said it wouldn’t be for a lack of effort with this staff. Additionally, if he was a Kimani recruit & a big, I’d be more concerned.

Reaction Score
I would feel a hell of a lot worse if the thread said "Dan Hurley to Indiana." As long as it doesn't say that, I'm good.

I know Kenya was well regarded and brought in Hawkins but as long as the guy in the big seat is here, I'm not worried. When schools are poaching your assistants it means you have good assistants. I'm sure he'll find the right guy to fill the seat.
Exactly. Losing an assistant is a nuisance at best. Not exactly a program changer. Hurley will find a good assistant who fills the needs.

Hopefully Hawkins will stick with his commitment. I'm more worried about that than Hunter leaving.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
I'm pretty confident this staff will be able to recruit a great piece to fill Hunter's role. Remember DH was able to put together this whole staff without much time, and we are much more attractive now than we were then.

These coaches aren't recruiting in a vacuum. They are selling the school and the situation for the player.

Last edited:

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Hopefully Hawkins will stick with his commitment. I'm more worried about that than Hunter leaving.
I would hope if Hunter was bringing a good recruit with him he could at least get a raise.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
I love Taleik, but we need someone who can continue to develop bigs. Can he do that?
Not only that but DC is the new talent hot spot. There’s going to be more talent coming from DC than anywhere else in the country for the next 4-5 years looking at the pipeline they have. That’s why a coach like Hunter was so valued. We need to compete in that region especially with the lack of depth of talent in the northeast.

Reaction Score
The rest of your post, especially the part where you call it “weak and sad,” sort of undermines the “good luck.”

I sincerely wish him good luck.

That doesn’t mean I won’t be honest about the situation and the fact that he made a weak move. Dude is at an elite program back on the rise and he goes makes a lateral move at best to a middling Indiana with no monetary increase reported. Archie must be a hell of a friend.

I am not worried at all about Hunter leaving. I trust and believe in the head coach Dan Hurley. The head coach is who matters most.

Reaction Score
Are you sure it wasn't smart? He had 2 NJ PG's at UConn and none at Indiana, seems like a smart move

I found a Jersey point guard we can support at UCONN. Class of 2023 point guard DJ Wagner out of Camden, NJ. He also happens to be the number ONE player in the class.

#winning FOR WAGNER

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
He's bffs with Archie Miller and thinks he can be higher on the totem pole there with a clearer path to getting a head coach gig.
This would be my guess.

Reaction Score
I found a Jersey point guard we can support at UCONN. Class of 2023 point guard DJ Wagner out of Camden, NJ. He also happens to be the number ONE player in the class.

#winning FOR WAGNER
Any relation to dajuan

C

Chief00

I would feel a hell of a lot worse if the thread said "Dan Hurley to Indiana." As long as it doesn't say that, I'm good.

I know Kenya was well regarded and brought in Hawkins but as long as the guy in the big seat is here, I'm not worried. When schools are poaching your assistants it means you have good assistants. I'm sure he'll find the right guy to fill the seat.
He brought in Javonte Brown Ferguson too. But, ocera

#winning FOR WAGNER

Yes, the coaching staff is aware of DJ.

C

Chief00

I believe the discussion was whether Hawkins would decommit. Seems less likely that this would affect a kid who is already enrolled and on campus.
Comment related to the value he added to recruiting.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom